Construction to begin on Disney's Golden Oak homes

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Really? I never knew there were that many Dutch in Florida....:)
Neither did I. Personally I am not a fan of the style but I seem to be in the minority. Anymore houses are like music as in they don't really fit 100% into particular style. Most are a mish mash of different influences.

prberk

Initially, three types of detached single-family homes will be offered for sale.
  • Village Homes
    Capturing the romantic look of a Mediterranean village, these stylish Tuscan inspired homes will be located adjacent to the private proposed clubhouse on approximately one-quarter acre homesites.
  • Estate Homes
    Located on approximately one-half acre homesites, Estate Homes will offer a variety of architectural styles including Tuscan, Spanish Revival, Venetian, Italianate, Dutch Colonial and Island Colonial.
  • Grand Estate Homes
    A limited number of Grand Estate Homes will be offered on approximately three-quarter acre homesites. Designs are consistent with Estate Home architectural styles. Grand Estate homes are designed to accommodate the needs of large and extended families

As much as I like Walt Disney World, I really abhor this development.

I know that there are a lot of places where land is at a premium, but I can't imagine really living in a place where $8 would not even get me ONE full acre...

Something just seems so wrong about this whole development. I wish Disney had never done it.

Not far from me, I can buy a nice piece of land, lush with greenery and/or woods, with a nice size house on it (2-story colonial, etc., with multiple bedrooms and maybe even a basement), for $250,000. Add a lake nearby and you are only adding $100 K.

But for me the price is not the main point. It is the conspicuous consumption and the use of this land that had so much more potential either as something that Disney could do (that visitors could see), or a continued pristine shoreline near Fort Wildersness.

Paul

Paul

wdwmomof3

As much as I like Walt Disney World, I really abhor this development.

I know that there are a lot of places where land is at a premium, but I can't imagine really living in a place where $8 would not even get me ONE full acre...

Something just seems so wrong about this whole development. I wish Disney had never done it.

Not far from me, I can buy a nice piece of land, lush with greenery and/or woods, with a nice size house on it (2-story colonial, etc., with multiple bedrooms and maybe even a basement), for $250,000. Add a lake nearby and you are only adding $100 K.

But for me the price is not the main point. It is the conspicuous consumption and the use of this land that had so much more potential either as something that Disney could do (that visitors could see), or a continued pristine shoreline near Fort Wildersness.

Paul

Paul

I'm glad that I am not the only one who feels this way. I was kind of disappointed when I heard about this. Now If I had 8 Million in the bank and no worries at all, I might feel differently about it, but something about this seems sad to me. Like a waste of space that could potentially be something great that everyone could enjoy.

devoy1701

Anybody got a "spare" 8 mill? :lookaroun

wonder how hight the credit line is on my corporate Amex...we only need $1.6M for a 20% downpayment...

do they let you put down 3.5% on a property that expensive? PMI will cost you $400K a year alone!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
wonder how hight the credit line is on my corporate Amex...we only need $1.6M for a 20% downpayment...

do they let you put down 3.5% on a property that expensive? PMI will cost you $400K a year alone!

To be on the list of interested parties they want a "refundable $25,000 deposit".

The hotel a PP was asking about is a Four Seasons:

It is anticipated that Four Seasons Resort Orlando at Walt Disney World® Resort will be a part of the Golden Oak community, and will feature a 445-room hotel, spa and 18-hole championship golf course. The design of the hotel is currently underway. Residents will have access to select amenities at the proposed Four Seasons Resort Orlando at Walt Disney World® Resort including: the 18-hole golf course, restaurants, facilities for private events and a full service spa.

ryguy

What I don't get is what is the advantage of owning a home here? It sounds like there is really no view of Bay lake, so why would I spend all that money. I can buy a nice lake front home in Clermont or somewhere like that for $500,000 and still here/see fireworks. Plus in Disney you have to go in and out of Disney everyday to go to a store, etc... It just doesn't sound that appealing. If I could rent the house out it would make some sense, but you can't even do that, so what's the point really. That being said, I am sure the complex will do fine, there are plenty of people with disposable income. I would assume like a lot of vacation communities in florida it will be popular with europeans or the british since our dollar sucks.

lwalker8

The maximum loan is usually 417,000 for 3.5% down FHA loans. These will all be JUMBO mortgages with 20% down and interest rates as of today would be around 5%, as opposed to 4.25% or so for a conventional mortgage.

I am interested to see how Disney goes about marketing and selling these in this economy. Certainly not the time I would start a development like this, but I'm sure they did their due diligence before they took on a project like this.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The maximum loan is usually 417,000 for 3.5% down FHA loans. These will all be JUMBO mortgages with 20% down and interest rates as of today would be around 5%, as opposed to 4.25% or so for a conventional mortgage.

I am interested to see how Disney goes about marketing and selling these in this economy. Certainly not the time I would start a development like this, but I'm sure they did their due diligence before they took on a project like this.
It is a great time to start something like this. Property prices are low, construction labor is plentiful and the very select few who can afford something like this are doing quite well right now.

jt04

To be on the list of interested parties they want a "refundable $25,000 deposit".

The hotel a PP was asking about is a Four Seasons:

It is anticipated that Four Seasons Resort Orlando at Walt Disney World® Resort will be a part of the Golden Oak community, and will feature a 445-room hotel, spa and 18-hole championship golf course. The design of the hotel is currently underway. Residents will have access to select amenities at the proposed Four Seasons Resort Orlando at Walt Disney World® Resort including: the 18-hole golf course, restaurants, facilities for private events and a full service spa.

They sure are taking their time with the Four Seasons. At least there will be an option for the vast majority who will never be able to afford a home in the development. Saving pennies.

Maerj

I'm glad that I am not the only one who feels this way. I was kind of disappointed when I heard about this. Now If I had 8 Million in the bank and no worries at all, I might feel differently about it, but something about this seems sad to me. Like a waste of space that could potentially be something great that everyone could enjoy.

I agree with both of you. They went and bought all of this land in Florida, smart idea. Now they are selling it off to make a quick buck. If only the people in charge had vision, there are so many other things that could have been done with that land. Instead of selling land off, I'd be trying to obtain more. You never know what ideas may arise in the future.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
:lookaroun how much for a roll-out bed in a closet... I can't get 8 million ATM :lookaroun
Whatever you can contribute that covers the full price will get you a room...

I'll cover the on-going taxes, Association fees, etc... and we're square. :lookaroun

Oh, I get the deed and full control over all aspects of your day-to-day life too... K? :drevil:

Main Street USA

Google maps has some great, up-to-date aerial imagery of the construction site. A LOT of work has been done, including a ton of the neighborhood streets that are already poured.

It's right on top of where the old Eagle Pines golf course was located, still immediately south and/or west of Osprey Ridge Golf Course, and immediately east of Fort Wilderness.

WDITrent

Okay, you know why I think this is so cool? Because Walt Disney envisioned Disney World as a real, working city, and this brings it a step closer. Awesome.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom