Confessions of a Monorail Fanatic...

karlbeau

Original Poster
Today's ride on the monorail was routine enough for me to decide on getting out for a stop. Yes - that's right. When we pulled into the Contemporary Resort I hastily decided to actually disembark at the risk of feeling like a baby without his security blanket. However - I did have a purpose in mind.

Down the narrow escalator I went - all the time trying to find hidden Mickey(s) in the great mosaic on the walls of the elevator shaft. After a quick stop to look at souvenirs I made my way to where I was headed - the monorail level exterior deck. It is to this location that all monorail lovers sneak for a glimpse of the beautiful beasts (and perhaps even a sniff) as they enter and exit the Contemporary concourse. At this coveted spot, the distance between human and machine is only a few feet. A glance overhead presents a glorious spectacle of rubber tires spinning in a synchronized dance to the quiet rhythm of the engines.

Perhaps the most amazing discovery of Disney imagineering here is the ridiculously low volume level. It is as if each car is whispering to another - reminding them to use their "inside" voice. This giant conveyor of thousands makes almost no noise - quiet enough to be placed inside a hotel without any disturbance to sleeping guests. I am told that the track itself touches the building in only one small location - thus assuring no vibrations or hums.

As I headed back up the escalator to board the next train I tried to justify my strange obsession with the monorail without actually admitting any psychotic tendencies. Lets just say I am a fan of fine engineering and this machine represents the finest. It is on that deck where one can get a mechanic's view of each car and gain an even greater appreciation for its design. Oh - and by the way - I'm told you can also get a spectacular view of the Magic Kingdom from there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom