Concrete...

jdmdisney99

Original Poster
The pink, un-themed concrete throughout WDW is a major disappointment. It doesn't change (except for color) and doesn't really add to the experience, and in Disneyland, themed walking areas are found everywhere. Meanwhile, new areas have been receiving themed pavement, like the FLE. The replacement of current park concrete with themed walkways will be discussed in this thread...

Last edited:

Tom

Beta Return
The pink, un-themed concrete throughout WDW is a major disappointment. It doesn't change (except for color) and doesn't really add to the experience, and in Disneyland, themed walking areas are found everywhere. Meanwhile, new areas have been receiving themed pavement, like the FLE. The replacement of all current park concrete with themed walkways will be discussed in this thread...

There are thousands of square feet of concrete on WDW property. Some of it is standard gray, while much of it is colored or themed.

Thematic concrete is extremely expensive, and isn't necessary outside the parks. Although they do use it in guest areas at the various resort hotels.

The red color they use is intentional, as it provides a nice visual contrast with the colors around it - primarily green (grass).

jdmdisney99

Original Poster
There are thousands of square feet of concrete on WDW property. Some of it is standard gray, while much of it is colored or themed.

Thematic concrete is extremely expensive, and isn't necessary outside the parks. Although they do use it in guest areas at the various resort hotels.

The red color they use is intentional, as it provides a nice visual contrast with the colors around it - primarily green (grass).
Outside the parks, I agree in seeing no need. And I know it's expensive. I have just been noticing a decline in upkeep of the red pavement lately, and as it is refurbished/replaced I think themed pavement should start to slowly move in, spreading costs. The red color doesn't bother me, but it is when that pavement becomes faded and/or stained.

Tom

Beta Return
Outside the parks, I agree in seeing no need. And I know it's expensive. I have just been noticing a decline in upkeep of the red pavement lately, and as it is refurbished/replaced I think themed pavement should start to slowly move in, spreading costs. The red color doesn't bother me, but it is when that pavement becomes faded and/or stained.

We were just there for a week (got home Friday night) and I noticed many areas of the red concrete that had actually been replaced since the last time we visited in 2012. While I saw some of it that was faded, I saw more that was new and bold.

Where specifically are you seeing the concrete in poor condition? Do you have photos?

jdmdisney99

Original Poster
We were just there for a week (got home Friday night) and I noticed many areas of the red concrete that had actually been replaced since the last time we visited in 2012. While I saw some of it that was faded, I saw more that was new and bold.

Where specifically are you seeing the concrete in poor condition? Do you have photos?
I've seen some, let me do some digging...

jdmdisney99

Original Poster
DatelineDisneyWorld03042014-_DSC2855.jpg

DatelineDisneyWorld02272014-_DSC2711.jpg

Of course I haven't been in a while to see it first hand. Hey but money's no object! Let's replace it all! ;)

Tom

Beta Return
You will be happy to know that much of the concrete in the MK hub area will be replaced in the coming months, as part of the massive Hub/MSUSA project.

As for other large expanses of concrete, it will always appear different, because they can't replace it all at once. So, each section will have different levels of aging.

jdmdisney99

Original Poster
You will be happy to know that much of the concrete in the MK hub area will be replaced in the coming months, as part of the massive Hub/MSUSA project.

As for other large expanses of concrete, it will always appear different, because they can't replace it all at once. So, each section will have different levels of aging.
I know I know. But it's all about what one would prefer...
This...
DatelineDisneyWorld02272014-_DSC2711.jpg

Or this...
disneyland-hub.jpg

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
The red and black concept came from consulting with Kodak. The colors made for better filming and photographs. The red was chosen for around the World Showcase because it was a good contrast to the grass and actually makes the grass look greener.

I too was at WDW this month for an extended vacation and noticed too they are not taking care to match the concrete to the old sections when replacing. It is making some look pink. My new white shoes came home just as white so they are cleaning but they are not power washing the way they did in the past. There is deep grim in many of the sidewalks in the parks and at the resorts. I've never seen as much old black chewing gum flattened into the concrete as I did this trip another indication that power washing isn't happening often. I did notice though that many of the high traffic concrete areas have had the red concrete replaced with black or dark gray concrete to conceal the grim better and the grout in the filler areas is now also black.

Last edited:

Gabe1

Disney use to do a better job of match the colors. They took the time to shoot a picture of existing color and match new concrete to the shade (faded or not) that is currently down, it is all computerized and it is just how much pigment and which pigments they add to the concrete. Disney's current way appears to be using standard color for all patching/replacement concrete. It is lazy approach but it doesn't cost any more to adjust the pigment and takes the computer only a few moments to calculate.

They are also getting sloppy about fixing uneven, settled concrete. They are grinding it down when it pops up, loosing the color and showing the rock within the concrete. The rocks are popping in their natural color drawing more attention to the slipshod maintenance practices. You don't have to go looking for the concrete issues, it is that apparent.

Tom

Beta Return
Disney use to do a better job of match the colors. They took the time to shoot a picture of existing color and match new concrete to the shade (faded or not) that is currently down, it is all computerized and it is just how much pigment and which pigments they add to the concrete. Disney's current way appears to be using standard color for all patching/replacement concrete. It is lazy approach but it doesn't cost any more to adjust the pigment and takes the computer only a few moments to calculate.

They are also getting sloppy about fixing uneven, settled concrete. They are grinding it down when it pops up, loosing the color and showing the rock within the concrete. The rocks are popping in their natural color drawing more attention to the slipshod maintenance practices. You don't have to go looking for the concrete issues, it is that apparent.

They're slowly rep;acing concrete that will all come out soon. And they're replacing it with the new color, which is the closest match to the original pigmentation.

The color formulas are stored elsewhere, and I'm sure they're used them to assemble heir mixes. They aren't trying to match the worn, sun faded concrete...they're starting over with new.

Gabe1

They're slowly rep;acing concrete that will all come out soon. And they're replacing it with the new color, which is the closest match to the original pigmentation.

The color formulas are stored elsewhere, and I'm sure they're used them to assemble heir mixes. They aren't trying to match the worn, sun faded concrete...they're starting over with new.

It is property wide this is happening. Or are you saying all the concrete in WDW is being replaced?

Gabe1

Here is one where they grind down the raised portion of the concrete.
IMG_1420.jpg

The Holes in the concrete.
IMG_1421.jpg

The broke brick-ish concrete
IMG_1423.jpg

The dirt in the stamped concrete. They are not pavers they shouldn't have dirt and algae
IMG_1426.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

Broken
IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1430.jpg

Welcome to the MK sidewalk

IMG_0973-1.jpg

Last edited:

Gabe1

Over time, sure. They could be setting the new standards as thy gradually replace areas.

Giggle. Sure hope they bring back some standards. I've been going to these parks since opening year. I can't say I've ever noticed so many ugly, neglected sidewalks as I have this year. I've never seen this grinding practice before or leaving holes in concrete unchecked. They were far more safety minded and cared about aesthetics. Disappointing.
A new generations standards of good enough.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom