Trip Report **COMPLETED** The Story of Two Nuts Who Decided to Go to Disney for NYE

Who?
The two nuts - my Mom (Mary) and myself (Megan)
IMG_9860.JPG

Where?
The Contemporary - strategically picked to help us survive the New Years crowds :)

When?
December 28, 2018 - January 2, 2019

Why?
For New Years! We had been to Disney once before for New Years which is the reason for the title :) On our first time there for New Years we had no clue it would be crowded but this time we willingly went for New Years well knowing the crowds would be awful! We are NUTS!

What to expect?
Slow moving days, a lot of pictures of crowds, a LOT of phone pictures (I did not film this trip so I got lazy and most days did not even carry my good camera :facepalm: - helped me manage the crowds), and a pretty big purchase :)

Day 1 - December 28, 2018
I had to work but was able to start my day a bit earlier so that I could make it to my flight on time :) My parents drove me to work and picked me up so we could head right to the airport. I was stressed (especially after last trip) that the weather would be bad but it was actually 45 degrees at home - unseasonably warm! We had to take our usual date signs at the airport :)
DSC_0576.JPG

DSC_0579.JPG

As usual we made it though check in and security very quickly and we headed to get some food at Anchor Bar.
Z1drKy7oTAmTIOGRJ1n4tA.jpg
+wchtI31SpiJD68q2JeBug.jpg

We shared a quesadilla and boneless wings. Both things were delicious!
2UXCGkPwSQK1bFaYF3m6jw.jpg

kLQ%hAFvQwi0SBw9Qmoz4g.jpg

After eating we headed to our gate :)
IMG_0761.JPG

Kf1R+oDKQYa7wBO53Jcn6Q.jpg

cIDcO36mRJSTNqPSW6hLzg.jpg

Next up: more travel randomness

Megbutnotmegan

Oh my goodness! Thats crazy were were so close to meeting! How was the view from the Poly??

Yes I think for us being AP holders and being lucky enough to go so often we did not mind moving at a different pace. Like @lostpro9het we purposely chose a hotel that worked well with the crowds ie could walk to the MK, take a boat to WL and FW and use monorails ! Its doable !
The view from the Poly is AMAZING!!! We stood on the grassy area right outside Captain Cooks. I loved that you could see the entire 360 view. It was fun to see it on the hub grass as well but I think I enjoyed the Poly more. It was incredibly crowded at Captain Cooks which we didn’t expect but otherwise it was the perfect place to stay for NYE.

slipperalwaysfits

Okay, so I just binge-read your entire trip report and I can't comment on everything but let me start with:

YAY!!!! YOU ARE A DVC MEMBER!!! Welcome home, indeed! We are very eager to become DVC members but we bought a house this year (well, we close in March), so we are going to have to wait a year or two. We did the DVC presentation when we were on our honeymoon at Aulani in 2017. The CM was amazing and very helpful and definitely not pushy (I hope they are trained that way!) We received a $100 Disney gift card for attending a presentation. When we do finally buy in to DVC, I hope we do it when we are at Aulani or the parks so we can use the incentives of the presentation!

I LOVE how you and your mom are close. I think I could enjoy a NYE trip to the parks if I didn't plan on actually trying to get anything done. I'm sure one year when we are DVC members, we will do that. I know July 4th is hotter than Hades but I hear their fireworks are amazing, too. I also hear it's not as crowded as Christmas.

Love how your mom went with cupcakes two days in a row! I think I'd love the caramel espresso cupcake!
it was some kind of caramel expresso or something

Our on ride photo never made it to my MDE. It was dark out by now and we definitely enjoy 7DMT at night.
YES, nighttime is my favorite time to ride it because everything is so beautifully lit up!

Oh wait first the glass slipper of the Gingerbread Display

We went to Disney at Thanksgiving this year and saw that incredible Gingerbread house! Amazing how much work they put into all the Gingerbreads around property! I thought the house was fantastic and my husband and I had a fun time hunting for the Hidden Mickey's on it! We found about 15 but I think there were 18 total.

Doc Disney

Original Poster
The view from the Poly is AMAZING!!! We stood on the grassy area right outside Captain Cooks. I loved that you could see the entire 360 view. It was fun to see it on the hub grass as well but I think I enjoyed the Poly more. It was incredibly crowded at Captain Cooks which we didn’t expect but otherwise it was the perfect place to stay for NYE.

That is good to know for future reference :joyfull:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Okay, so I just binge-read your entire trip report and I can't comment on everything but let me start with:

YAY!!!! YOU ARE A DVC MEMBER!!! Welcome home, indeed! We are very eager to become DVC members but we bought a house this year (well, we close in March), so we are going to have to wait a year or two. We did the DVC presentation when we were on our honeymoon at Aulani in 2017. The CM was amazing and very helpful and definitely not pushy (I hope they are trained that way!) We received a $100 Disney gift card for attending a presentation. When we do finally buy in to DVC, I hope we do it when we are at Aulani or the parks so we can use the incentives of the presentation!

I LOVE how you and your mom are close. I think I could enjoy a NYE trip to the parks if I didn't plan on actually trying to get anything done. I'm sure one year when we are DVC members, we will do that. I know July 4th is hotter than Hades but I hear their fireworks are amazing, too. I also hear it's not as crowded as Christmas.

Love how your mom went with cupcakes two days in a row! I think I'd love the caramel espresso cupcake!

YES, nighttime is my favorite time to ride it because everything is so beautifully lit up!

We went to Disney at Thanksgiving this year and saw that incredible Gingerbread house! Amazing how much work they put into all the Gingerbreads around property! I thought the house was fantastic and my husband and I had a fun time hunting for the Hidden Mickey's on it! We found about 15 but I think there were 18 total.

Ah thanks! I am the crazy one who bought a house and DVC in the same year - panic set in a bit the night I bought DVC to be honest :joyfull: The payments aren't that bad though. NYE fireworks >>>> 4th of July (not that 4th of July aren't awesome) but yes the crowds are significantly better on the 4th :) The gingerbread houses are so amazing !! I can not imagine how much work must go into them! Thanks for reading!!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 5 continued
IMG_1240.JPG

It was warm enough to get into the pool ! Swimming on January 1 is a pretty crazy concept for us :)
IMG_1243.JPG

IMG_1244.JPG

They were doing some Disney music trivia at the pool and no one was answering so I felt like it was my job to play despite my Mom's probable embarrassment :hilarious:
It was just me and one other family playing and I would only answer if they didn't. The CM played one last song and said no one ever gets it - it was Hunchback of Notre Dame - she gave me a high five when I guessed it right :happy: She asked me the name and I forgot for a minute but then came up with Topsy Turvy and she literally could not believe it. I am super competitive so I was pleased as punch :joyfull::joyfull::joyfull: Yes I am a 30 year old ....
Anyway after our pool break we headed back to the room to get dressed for dinner and headed down to the boat dock.
We played some ping pong for a hot second before realizing we weren't good at it :hilarious:
IMG_7925.jpeg

IMG_7926.jpeg

IMG_1259.JPG

IMG_1245.JPG

Boat ride to the WL
IMG_1246.JPG

IMG_1248.JPG

Next up: WL

HauntedMansionFLA

Day 2 continued
**warning super wordy post **

So we headed to meet up with our good friend Kyle and he took us backstage to get to our van. He confirmed our suspicion about the blue building being Aerosmith and showed us the tunnel where you take off! Kyle told us that just a few days before he saw Luke Bryan backstage :joyfull: There were a lot of people back there but no one famous that I could see - just those VIP tour people eating snacks :hilarious:
Our van driver's name was George and he was negative Nelly about everything. He was non stop complaining about everything that used to be at the parks but isn't anymore :facepalm:
We got dropped off by Mr. Pleasant at the DVC part of Polynesian and we were greeted by someone else who brought us to a room (aka a hotel room made into an office) to meet with a DVC representative. It was a little awkward at first but Marcel (the DVC guy) was really nice. They essentially ask you a bunch of questions to see if you would even benefit from DVC. It was super low pressure and very informative.
View attachment 340562
View attachment 340563
View attachment 340564
I texted @sheriffwoody before I even went on the tour to say I was scared I would buy it and she told me to stay strong :joyfull:
Anyway, after the whole presentation Marcel showed us a Poly studio to get an idea, showed us the price for points and left so we could discuss it. I went into the presentation already knowing I wanted DVC so this kind of confirmed it for me. I was suprised when my Mom said she thought it was a good idea too and she thought things would work out for me this day. I called my sister Betta - who is the most financially savvy (besides my Dad) and doesn't spend money on everything like I do - and she said I should do it and said she feels like she should look into it now too.
So that was it....they were offering full contracts only for Copper Creek and Aluani so I chose Copper Creek (obviously ... not even manageable to go to Hawaii more than once in my life :joyfull:). Before we even got in there and knew the choices we talked about how we would like Bay Lake Tower or Wilderness Lodge so that was perfect! They could offer me a BLT contract but it would have been a shorter one and they couldn't give me the end of year discount that they were offering for Copper Creek. Not like we can't stay at BLT or add points there :)
Anyway like I said they were super non pushy and even when I agreed they were super supportive about it - giving all sorts of payment options and suggesting the amount of points I should start with.
I signed a bunch of paperwork and soon enough we were on our way! It was nuts. I felt bad because we were inside on a beautiful day for almost 3 hours but my Mom promised me she did not mind - especially since it will benefit her too :hilarious:
My Mom took this picture and pretended it was Mickey saying he took all my money :joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:
View attachment 340565
:joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:
View attachment 340566
My Mom is making a zero sign since she did not buy anything :joyfull:
View attachment 340567
View attachment 340568
View attachment 340569
I still can not believe I did it! I dont think it has hit me yet :inlove:
Our van eventually showed up to take us back to the Contemporary
This van driver was no more pleasant than George - weird .
View attachment 340570

Next up: more randomness
First a house, now DVC? Richie Rich;)

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 5 continued
We were hoping to get a Copper Creek Tour but no one was working the DVC desk at WL and we weren't the only ones looking for someone. Oh well...it was a holiday after all!
IMG_1254.JPG

IMG_1257.JPG

IMG_1258.JPG

IMG_1260.JPG

There was a Photopass CM in the lobby so we took advantage
IMG_1327.JPG

PhotoPass_Visiting_WDWRESORTSANDMORE_415119004900.JPG

Then we checked in for dinner - a first for us - Artist Point ! I really wanted to eat here before it transitioned but I was happy to try Storybook Dining either way :)
A light for you ..
IMG_1261.JPG

IMG_1262.JPG

IMG_1263.JPG

IMG_1264.JPG

Next up: dinner

HauntedMansionFLA

Day 5 continued
We were hoping to get a Copper Creek Tour but no one was working the DVC desk at WL and we weren't the only ones looking for someone. Oh well...it was a holiday after all!
View attachment 342718
View attachment 342719
View attachment 342726
View attachment 342727

There was a Photopass CM in the lobby so we took advantage
View attachment 342729
View attachment 342730
Then we checked in for dinner - a first for us - Artist Point ! I really wanted to eat here before it transitioned but I was happy to try Storybook Dining either way :)
A light for you ..
View attachment 342736
View attachment 342737
View attachment 342738
View attachment 342739

Next up: dinner
Your dress matched up with the Christmas tree decorations

krisri18

Day 5 continued
View attachment 342689
It was warm enough to get into the pool ! Swimming on January 1 is a pretty crazy concept for us :)
View attachment 342690
View attachment 342691
They were doing some Disney music trivia at the pool and no one was answering so I felt like it was my job to play despite my Mom's probable embarrassment :hilarious:
It was just me and one other family playing and I would only answer if they didn't. The CM played one last song and said no one ever gets it - it was Hunchback of Notre Dame - she gave me a high five when I guessed it right :happy: She asked me the name and I forgot for a minute but then came up with Topsy Turvy and she literally could not believe it. I am super competitive so I was pleased as punch :joyfull::joyfull::joyfull: Yes I am a 30 year old ....
Anyway after our pool break we headed back to the room to get dressed for dinner and headed down to the boat dock.
We played some ping pong for a hot second before realizing we weren't good at it :hilarious:
View attachment 342703
View attachment 342704
View attachment 342705
View attachment 342706
Boat ride to the WL
View attachment 342707
View attachment 342708

Next up: WL
Love Topsy Turvy!

DisNerd86

Day 4 continued
View attachment 342005
My plate has a push-pop oreo thing, cheese (duh), a cheeseburger egg roll, macaroons, chocolate covered strawberry and cheesecake
View attachment 342006
Mom Mom had essentially the same thing plus a tart, some fruit, and some ice cream
View attachment 342008
View attachment 342007
View attachment 342009

Actually everything was tasty. They enhanced the treats since the last time we went to a party for sure.
It was like 10:30 at this point and we were exhausted. I think if we weren't sick it would not have been so bad but I could not fathom sitting there for another hour and a half. We were both thinking it but eventually my Mom asked me if I wanted to leave and I said yes. :joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:
I feel bad but at least we ate the food. So...we bounced right out of there.
I wish this picture was not blurry but it does kind of show how crowded it was - it literally looked like homeless people lining the streets!
View attachment 342014
Anyway, back in the room we got dressed in our PJs and waited until midnight. I did not take a ton of photos and just a small IG video but the fireworks were FANTASTIC. They held out on all the fireworks before and there were way more for the actual show. It was awesome because a ton of people were on their balconies watching and cheering and the one NYE party was outside below us blasting the music so it was clear as day :)
View attachment 342021
View attachment 342022
View attachment 342024
View attachment 342025
In the end I am SO glad we left when we did and watched from our balcony! It was so nice and relaxing and we missed the huge mass exodus! My Mom said she saw cars and buses at 2:30 am still trying to leave MK and the Contemporary with massive waits :in pain:
I asked my Mom what her New Years Resolution was and she said "no more dessert parties" :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: I swear every few trips I sign us up for one and they are never worth it for us so no more. I was like ...but what if they bring back the Illumination Dessert Party and she was like ......NOOOOOOOO :rolleyes::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:

Next up: New Years Day
We have a trip booked for next NYE and we are considering doing the MK dessert party, or maybe the Pixar Party at the Contemporary if it is held again. I am wondering if anyone can tell me how much the dessert party tickets are? We have done it before on a non-holdiay. Is it more expensive for NYE? I think we have quite some time to decide but I can't stop the planning in my brain :)

jamiet

I have just read your entire trip report in one sitting. You have a gift for sharing your trips. Your photos of the castle at the beginning of your trip are stunning (they look 3 dimensional)!! Thank you for sharing your trips so we can enjoy and follow along!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
We have a trip booked for next NYE and we are considering doing the MK dessert party, or maybe the Pixar Party at the Contemporary if it is held again. I am wondering if anyone can tell me how much the dessert party tickets are? We have done it before on a non-holdiay. Is it more expensive for NYE? I think we have quite some time to decide but I can't stop the planning in my brain :)

I don't remember it being more expensive but I booked it like 7 months ago so I could be wrong - maybe @Megbutnotmegan knows ?
The parties at the Contemporary looked amazing but the line to get in the parking lot (and out) was super backed up just as an FYI - although I guess NYE traffic is always that bad

Going to The Festival Of The Arts??

Yes - hitting the tail end of it because we are running the Princess 10 K - you ?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom