Trip Report ***Completed** For the First Time in Forever! Aug 2016 WDW Trip Report

Hi guys! I'm so excited to start my very first trip report! My family and I have just gotten back from Disney World about a week ago and we had a fabulous vacation. It was our first trip to Disney since 2008, so there have been a lot of changes since then. This was our first trip since Fast Pass + and Magic Bands and the DDP, so it was a bit of uncharted territory for us. This was also the first trip where I was primarily in control for most of the planning. My Dad insisted on using a AAA travel agent to book the package even though I told him I could have done it. I planned all our meals, booked all our fast passes, and generally mapped out all of our park days. Overall I think it went really well considering I hadn't actually been to the parks in 8 years. Thank God for these forums and You Tube!

Anyway it was a very memorable trip with its highs and lows and I can't wait to share the craziness with all of you. So here is the outline of our vacation to start:

When: Friday Aug 19th- Mon Aug 29th 2016

Where: All Star Movies Resort

Who: Myself (Melissa), my Mom, my Dad, my younger brother Matt. My younger sister Stephanie and her bf Steve (now fiancee but we'll get to that!) arrived on Tues Aug 23rd.

Anyway I hope you enjoy my trip report!

Scoppin

Before we got to any of the engagement stuff we had to get through dinner first. We hopped on the monorail to the Contemporary and then headed up to Chef Mickey's. I was kind of excited because we had always wanted to eat there, but wound up changing our minds before we could. My parents are wary about buffets, but we really wanted to do a character meal for Steph and Steve to experience.

Steph and Steve had taken the bus from All Star Movies to the MK and was supposed to be meeting us at the Contemporary. We weren't there long before we spotted my Dad's friend George and his wife. They had been shopping down in DS. We talked for a few minutes and it became apparent that they were under the impression that they were going to join us for dinner. I had only made our reservation for 6 and I wasn't sure if we could just add on two people at the last minute. I didn't really want to be "that person" but it was a sticky situation. So, I felt so bad going up to the podium to check in and explain that we were going to wind up being a party of 8 vs a party of 6, but it was what it was. Luckily, there didn't seem to be a problem. We didn't have to really wait all that much longer. We wound up being seated at a large round table that gave us plenty of room. Not long after we were seated Steph and Steve showed up, so it worked out well.

Even though it was a buffet the food was pretty good. I wasn't too hungry since I had the macaroni and cheese earlier, but I managed to fill my plate with an assortment of food. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of my plate and I don't remember what all I had. I know I didn't finish my plate though.

Onto the characters... I'm missing a few of them because I think some are on my Mom's phone, but here is what I have. First one out was Goofy.

View attachment 167464 View attachment 167465

Then came Donald who posed back to back with me.

View attachment 167468 View attachment 167467

Just ignore Matt picking his teeth in the background.
View attachment 167466

Next up was Minnie. I of course had to show her my Minnie inspired nails which she loved. (I don't think I posted a pic of them at the beginning of the TR, so I'll do that now.)

My Minnie mouse nails that I was in love with!
View attachment 167469

And some Minnie.

View attachment 167470 View attachment 167471

Then we saw Pluto.

View attachment 167472

Steve looks happier in the more recent pictures. Maybe he doesn't feel as nervous as before.

Glad to hear they were able to accommodate.

We were able to make it to Chef Mickey's as well. the kids enjoyed it.

Um, I am not sure if you noticed the lights behind Donald. It almost appears he has bright ears.

DimpledDevil18

Original Poster
Finally it was everyone's turn to meet the Chef himself, Mickey!

14183796_10157444191745360_3125318245754125786_n.jpg

I may not have gotten a picture of my dinner, but I definitely remembered to snap a picture of my dessert!

14141841_10157444191820360_2729463425613312563_n.jpg

There was a Photo Pass photographer and an area to take a family photo before you eat. We opted to wait until after we finished eating when we were all present to take some family photos.

WDWRESORTSANDMORE_CHEFMICKEY1_20160828_7785809833.jpeg
WDWRESORTSANDMORE_CHEFMICKEY1_20160828_7785809834.jpeg
WDWRESORTSANDMORE_CHEFMICKEY1_20160828_7785810509.jpeg

All in all it was a very nice meal that we would definitely consider doing again. Even my parents were impressed with the food quality at the buffet and they don't usually like buffets.

On our way out, I pulled Steph ahead and asked her to go to the bathroom with me, so Steve would have some time to talk to my Dad. (He unfortunately did not get the opportunity to do so at dinner). Talk about pressure! He had to talk to not only my Dad, but my sister's godfather too! My Dad gave his blessing though. He figured if anyone was crazy enough to put up with Steph they must have good intentions lol.

When Steph and I rejoined the group, we said our goodbyes to George and Jane and went on our separate ways. It was a little after 9pm and Steve wanted to try to find as good as spot as he could for Wishes.

So we headed back to the MK. I don't know about Steve, but I was getting nervous enough for him. I knew that Steph was going to say yes, but the anticipation was killing me! We took the monorail, got through security, got my Mom a wheelchair, and headed up Main Street as the MSEP was just finishing up. As soon as the parade ended Steve made it a point to try to fill in as close to the castle as he could and we had no choice, but to try to follow him into the crowd. This is definitely not how I like to watch Wishes in a crowd of people, but I get why he wanted to try to be as close as he could to the castle.

So now we are in a crowd of people and it's like 5 billion degrees... I'm so sweaty and my anxiety is through the roof because I know in literally like 20 minutes my baby sister is getting engaged and I'm going to try to capture it on film. If you've ever seen this SNL skit, that is exactly how I felt at the moment.

snlomgomg1.gif~c200

Luckily my sister thought I was just on edge from the crowds and the heat, so she ironically offered me a Xanax. Unfortunately, it wouldn't kick in until after the engagement was all said and done. Finally Wishes was about to start and I think my heart was about to pound right out of my chest.

Don't worry I'll post all about the engagement in my next post which I'll try to post tonight, so all the pics are together.

DimpledDevil18

Original Poster
Steve looks happier in the more recent pictures. Maybe he doesn't feel as nervous as before.

Glad to hear they were able to accommodate.

We were able to make it to Chef Mickey's as well. the kids enjoyed it.

Um, I am not sure if you noticed the lights behind Donald. It almost appears he has bright ears.

Steve doesn't like to smile in pictures in case you noticed. He looks really mad in a lot of the pics from this vacation, but you are right. He's actually smiling here. I think it was definitely the excitement!

I actually hadn't noticed the lights until you pointed them out! LOL They look like tiny devils horns which is quite fitting for Donald!

Scoppin

Finally it was everyone's turn to meet the Chef himself, Mickey!

View attachment 167473

I may not have gotten a picture of my dinner, but I definitely remembered to snap a picture of my dessert!

View attachment 167474

There was a Photo Pass photographer and an area to take a family photo before you eat. We opted to wait until after we finished eating when we were all present to take some family photos.

View attachment 167475 View attachment 167476 View attachment 167477

All in all it was a very nice meal that we would definitely consider doing again. Even my parents were impressed with the food quality at the buffet and they don't usually like buffets.

On our way out, I pulled Steph ahead and asked her to go to the bathroom with me, so Steve would have some time to talk to my Dad. (He unfortunately did not get the opportunity to do so at dinner). Talk about pressure! He had to talk to not only my Dad, but my sister's godfather too! My Dad gave his blessing though. He figured if anyone was crazy enough to put up with Steph they must have good intentions lol.

When Steph and I rejoined the group, we said our goodbyes to George and Jane and went on our separate ways. It was a little after 9pm and Steve wanted to try to find as good as spot as he could for Wishes.

So we headed back to the MK. I don't know about Steve, but I was getting nervous enough for him. I knew that Steph was going to say yes, but the anticipation was killing me! We took the monorail, got through security, got my Mom a wheelchair, and headed up Main Street as the MSEP was just finishing up. As soon as the parade ended Steve made it a point to try to fill in as close to the castle as he could and we had no choice, but to try to follow him into the crowd. This is definitely not how I like to watch Wishes in a crowd of people, but I get why he wanted to try to be as close as he could to the castle.

So now we are in a crowd of people and it's like 5 billion degrees... I'm so sweaty and my anxiety is through the roof because I know in literally like 20 minutes my baby sister is getting engaged and I'm going to try to capture it on film. If you've ever seen this SNL skit, that is exactly how I felt at the moment.

snlomgomg1.gif~c200

Luckily my sister thought I was just on edge from the crowds and the heat, so she ironically offered me a Xanax. Unfortunately, it wouldn't kick in until after the engagement was all said and done. Finally Wishes was about to start and I think my heart was about to pound right out of my chest.

Don't worry I'll post all about the engagement in my next post which I'll try to post tonight, so all the pics are together.

You are a good sister to help him along and have some time with your Dad, by getting her out of the way.

Scoppin

Steve doesn't like to smile in pictures in case you noticed. He looks really mad in a lot of the pics from this vacation, but you are right. He's actually smiling here. I think it was definitely the excitement!

I actually hadn't noticed the lights until you pointed them out! LOL They look like tiny devils horns which is quite fitting for Donald!

Yes, I had noticed but thought not saying anything. I can relate as at times I think I am smiling but it doesn't come out in the pictures. Not sure how it will be in these set of pictures, as still need to view them all. But hoping there is some smile action. Hoping if it doesn't come out as smiling I don't appear mad.

Horns were my first thought. I had some interesting interactions with the Donalds we met. Stories to come.

DimpledDevil18

Original Poster
So the stage was set for the engagement. To give you better perspective this was our view...

14192140_10157444191830360_1008372405678910616_n.jpg

Steve originally wanted me to do a live feed on Facebook and video the engagement. I also didn't exactly know when he was going to actually do it, so I had to be on alert. I didn't want to miss it!

Turns out, Wishes started and you can tell he was super nervous, so as soon as it started the whole, "Star light, Star bright. First wish I see tonight..." part he was getting down on one knee. I quick try to go live on my phone and of course Disney being Disney the Wifi decides to go out at that moment. So I abandon the live feed idea and just start trying to snap pics furiously to capture the moment.

14088574_10157444191910360_5707443853022027910_n.jpg
14184293_10157444191880360_5073250002040186049_n.jpg
14199339_10157444191975360_6016876750617586060_n.jpg

Then just like that it was over. We let them have their moment and watch Wishes together and of course Steph was bawling. If there as any doubt in those pictures of course she said yes!

14199241_10157444191960360_6002443720832394890_n.jpg

So here is the good, the bad, and the ugly for those of you who ever dream about getting engaged during Wishes. It wasn't a big to do the way he did it. Very simple, very quiet. Unless you were standing right near us you probably may not have even noticed. Steve says he tried to find a CM and explain what he was going to do to try to have a Photo Pass photographer capture it, but he says they couldn't really help him. Luckily, we were around to take pics, but they aren't the best quality. So, if you are planning a Disney engagement I'd suggest trying to set something up earlier if you want a Photo Pass photographer to capture the moment.

Also although the idea of getting engaged during Wishes may sound amazing take into account that you are surrounded by thousands of sweaty bodies and depending on the time of year it may be very humid. May not be the most romantic setting. In a way, I'm glad that Steph "stole my engagement", because not that it was at all unromantic or not special enough, but the fantasy of it doesn't exactly live up to the reality. There are other ways to get engaged at Disney that I think would be more special if you are looking for a big to do. Anyway they both were happy so that's all that matters!

After the fireworks, a woman next to us congratulated Stephanie and Steve and said, "Thanks for letting us witness that moment. It was very special." Which I thought was VERY sweet. Since their actual engagement picture wasn't the best they wanted to get closer to the castle and take a reanactment picture. To be honest I prefer the original one in the moment. This one seems a little forced and unnatural where the others appear more emotional. Afterwards though people thought that was the actual engagement so they were all congratulating them like they had just witnessed the actual moment.

14202709_10157444192110360_2642821739116757970_n.jpg

Now it was off to celebrate with a few more rides before heading back to our resort for the night. I'll get into that tomorrow or Saturday because I'm pretty tired. One more day left after this in my TR! :(

DonnaOnTheRocks

I just got married last month and my husband (it's so weird saying that still! Lol) proposed to me in that big gazebo on the Boardwalk. Surprisingly there was no one around to witness it, but it was amazing! I always had the Disney engagement dream too, but not necessarily during Wishes so it worked out well. Loving your report!

Scoppin

So the stage was set for the engagement. To give you better perspective this was our view...

View attachment 167483

Steve originally wanted me to do a live feed on Facebook and video the engagement. I also didn't exactly know when he was going to actually do it, so I had to be on alert. I didn't want to miss it!

Turns out, Wishes started and you can tell he was super nervous, so as soon as it started the whole, "Star light, Star bright. First wish I see tonight..." part he was getting down on one knee. I quick try to go live on my phone and of course Disney being Disney the Wifi decides to go out at that moment. So I abandon the live feed idea and just start trying to snap pics furiously to capture the moment.

View attachment 167484 View attachment 167485 View attachment 167486

Then just like that it was over. We let them have their moment and watch Wishes together and of course Steph was bawling. If there as any doubt in those pictures of course she said yes!

View attachment 167489

So here is the good, the bad, and the ugly for those of you who ever dream about getting engaged during Wishes. It wasn't a big to do the way he did it. Very simple, very quiet. Unless you were standing right near us you probably may not have even noticed. Steve says he tried to find a CM and explain what he was going to do to try to have a Photo Pass photographer capture it, but he says they couldn't really help him. Luckily, we were around to take pics, but they aren't the best quality. So, if you are planning a Disney engagement I'd suggest trying to set something up earlier if you want a Photo Pass photographer to capture the moment.

Also although the idea of getting engaged during Wishes may sound amazing take into account that you are surrounded by thousands of sweaty bodies and depending on the time of year it may be very humid. May not be the most romantic setting. In a way, I'm glad that Steph "stole my engagement", because not that it was at all unromantic or not special enough, but the fantasy of it doesn't exactly live up to the reality. There are other ways to get engaged at Disney that I think would be more special if you are looking for a big to do. Anyway they both were happy so that's all that matters!

After the fireworks, a woman next to us congratulated Stephanie and Steve and said, "Thanks for letting us witness that moment. It was very special." Which I thought was VERY sweet. Since their actual engagement picture wasn't the best they wanted to get closer to the castle and take a reanactment picture. To be honest I prefer the original one in the moment. This one seems a little forced and unnatural where the others appear more emotional. Afterwards though people thought that was the actual engagement so they were all congratulating them like they had just witnessed the actual moment.

View attachment 167487

Now it was off to celebrate with a few more rides before heading back to our resort for the night. I'll get into that tomorrow or Saturday because I'm pretty tired. One more day left after this in my TR! :(

Glad things went well.

See, even though he 'stole' your dream, he may have actually made it better for the future. There can always be a positive to everything.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I just got married last month and my husband (it's so weird saying that still! Lol) proposed to me in that big gazebo on the Boardwalk. Surprisingly there was no one around to witness it, but it was amazing! I always had the Disney engagement dream too, but not necessarily during Wishes so it worked out well. Loving your report!

Congratulations. And I think that the gazebo on the Boardwalk was a lovely location for him to propose to you.

DimpledDevil18

Original Poster

Congratulations! I bet it IS weird to think of him as your husband. My two best friends both got married this past year and it's still weird when I have to write their new last names and stuff.

The Boardwalk gazebo does sound like a very quiet, intimate, and romantic place to get engaged. There really are so many other options for a Disney engagement outside of during Wishes in front of the castle. I just wish I knew about it sooner, so I could have maybe given Steve some ideas. Steph was happy though, so that's all that matters.

Congrats to them both, and now you know when not to be proposed to at WDW. ;)

LOL Yea... I guess now it's time to find a new fantasy engagement. Any suggestions? LOl jk.

DimpledDevil18

Original Poster
I just remembered that I quickly wanted to wrap up our night post engagement. MK closed at 12am on that evening and we definitely did not want to get stuck in the post Wishes chaos leaving the park, so we decided to celebrate Steph and Steve's engagement with some rides!

Our first ride with the newly engaged couple? Jungle Cruise! I got to cross another first off the Disney bucket list because I had never rode this at night. (I didn't even think it WAS open at night for the longest time). I was surprised that my parents agreed to the night cruise because when I brought it up once they kind of complained that you probably wouldn't be able to see all the animals that well. The wait was only like 15 minutes though, so I guess the timing was right. I was also really looking forward to riding with Matt (who has ridden it) and Steve (who hasn't, or at least not since he was a kid) because they are both huge pun enthusiasts and try to constantly outpun each other.

As it turns out we pretty much walked on due to my Mom's wheelchair. We were the first party loaded into the boat, so we got to sit right up front. Our skipper was (I believe) Chelsea and she was awesome! So much energy and had a great delivery of all the jokes. When she asked us how we were doing, my sister immediately blurted out that she had gotten engaged during Wishes and Chelsea and all the other skippers on the dock of course made a big deal and congratulated her and Steve. It was really nice!

After our enjoyable ride on the Jungle Cruise, we decided to hit up Pirates next. It was our second ride on it this trip, but Steph and Steve's first. Pirates is always a hit for us, so we all enjoyed it. I unfortunately did not take pictures at this point in the evening because while we were in line I was answering texts from my brother back home and some friends who had heard about Steph's engagement on Facebook and wanted details.

We only had time for one last ride of the night, so we decided on another classic attraction, Haunted Mansion. The mansion was great as always. By the time we got off, it was almost time for park closing so we decided to head back towards Main Street.

We stopped in the Emporium to browse. I was looking for that MK tank top that I'd seen on Tues that no longer seemed to exist. While everyone was browsing, I thought I'd be a good sister and head over to City Hall and pick up a pair of engagement buttons for Steph and Steve, I guess they no longer do the actual engagement buttons because the CM gave me the Happily Ever After ones and wrote on the bottom Just Engaged.

Of course, when I got back to the Emporium I found out that Steph and Steve had already asked a CM in there so they already had them! They took mine though because the Emporium CM didn't write Just Engaged on them.

I don't remember if anyone else bought anything. I know I didn't. It was getting late and we didn't want to sleep in too much because the following day was our last Disney day. :cry: Luckily or flight wasn't until the day after, so we would have a full day at the parks. We bid MK adieu, but we would be back the next day.

DimpledDevil18

Original Poster
Day 10- Sunday, August 28th- Magic Kingdom

And so begins our last full day at Disney and our last day in the parks. We couldn't think of a more fitting place to spend our last day than at Magic Kingdom. I'll admit, I was in a pretty bad mood that day. Disney depression was already setting in and then I was having some mixed emotions about Stephanie and Steve's engagement that were really dumb of me to have. I was just in a mood, but I wanted to at least try and enjoy what was left of our Disney vacation.

So we had a snack in the food court today for breakfast. I just had a toasted bagel and creme cheese. My parents tried to do a little packing in the morning before heading to the parks, but I opted to stay in bed for a little longer. We got to the Magic Kingdom maybe a little after 10. The parks weren't very crowded today which was nice.

I snapped some pics on Main Street.

14141800_10157444192050360_2812622525552547713_n.jpg
14102628_10157444192130360_2833969345206750532_n.jpg

Our first stop was Fantasyland because we had a FP for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. None of us have ridden it since it wasn't built yet when we were last there, so yay for new attractions. I found it to be very mild, but nice in the sense that it's something even my Mom felt comfortable riding. I like the photos we got too on it.

MK_MINETRAIN_20160828_7786182088.jpeg
MK_MINETRAIN_20160828_7786182090.jpeg
MK_MINETRAIN_20160828_7786184177.jpeg
MK_MINETRAIN_20160828_7786184183.jpeg

After the mine train, we hopped on another new ride for us which was Under the Sea. I love The Little Mermaid, so I enjoyed this ride even though it was pretty much just your standard Disney dark ride. Funny story... When we were boarding our clamshells, my brother spotted someone he knew from work and was able to say a quick hello. This was the second person we just happened to run into at Disney.

After Under the Sea it was time for our Splash Mountain FP. I wish I'd been in a better mood because I didn't really get to enjoy walking through the queue. I was also trying to make some plans for that night (I'll get to that). Once I was on the ride I did enjoy it though.
MK_SPLASH_20160828_7786278951.jpeg

After we got off Splash we stopped to take some pictures with a Photopass photographer.

MK_FRNTSMT_20160828_7786305994.jpeg
MK_FRNTSMT_20160828_7786306003.jpeg

DimpledDevil18

Original Poster
MK_FRNTSMT_20160828_7786306004.jpeg
MK_FRNTSMT_20160828_7786306004.jpeg

MK_FRNTSMT_20160828_7786307048.jpeg
MK_FRNTSMT_20160828_7786307049.jpeg

We were getting hungry, so we decided to grab some lunch at Pecos Bill's. It was a really good choice and a nice change from cheeseburgers and chicken tenders. I had the chicken nachos with cheese, tomato, sour cream, and guacamole. For dessert I had the Churros with chocolate dipping sauce which was amazing! Definitely a great QS stop for a meal.

Our next FP was in Tomorrowland for Space Mountain, but we had some time so we headed over there and took a spin on the People Mover. After the People Mover, Stephanie wanted to see the Carousal of Progress which I didn't mind seeing a second time. After we sat down though, I must have been just really tired because I found my eyes getting heavy and next thing I knew we were at the Christmas scene. I had dozed off on one of my favorite attractions! Good thing we had seen it the other day while we were at MK, I guess I needed that 15 minute cat nap!

By then it was time for our Space Mountain FP. I'd forgotten how rough Space Mountain can be and I wound up in the back of our car. I was thrashed around so much that my pin lanyard actually came unvelcroed and I had to hold onto it for the rest of the ride in fear that it would go flying off and I'd lose them all. Note to self not to sit in the back seat next time.

MK_SPACEMOUNTAINB_20160828_7786480077.jpeg
MK_SPACEMOUNTAINB_20160828_7786481264.jpeg

Of course on our way out of Space we were on the moving walkway and a bunch of people bottle necked up behind us. You could tell they were not happy about not being able to pass us, but my Mom's wheelchair took up the whole walkway and we didn't feel comfortable moving her while it was moving. So yea... We got some people upset with us. Oh well...

After we got off Space it started to rain, so we took refuge in the Space Mountain gift shop for a little bit. I made us another FP for Buzz Lightyear, but in the mean time we just looked around. I exchanged my Fuel Rod and then my Mom, Steph, and I picked up keychains to buy. By the time it stopped raining, it was time for another ride on Buzz.

Of course there was literally a party of like 10 just standing in front of the FP entrance waiting for their time to come up. It's like REALLY? Do you have to block the entrance for everyone else?

I have no idea what I did. I must have hit a pretty big target somewhere because I beat everyone which never happens. I don't think I could do it again if I tried. I'll take it though!

MK_BUZZLIGHTYEARRIDE_20160828_7786526852.jpeg
MK_BUZZLIGHTYEARRIDE_20160828_7786527483.jpeg

I'm not sure what I'm looking at, but my Dad cracks me up. Look how into it he is!
MK_BUZZLIGHTYEARRIDE_20160828_7786527517.jpeg

After we got off Buzz there was a bit of an argument about where to go next. My Mom wanted to go to Adventureland to get one last Dole Whip, but I pointed out that we were closer to Fantasyland so we should just ride Pooh and then go to Adventureland, so we weren't walking back and forth across the park with a wheelchair which made no sense in my mind. Finally, I told her if she wanted her Dole Whip that bad I'd run and get it for her.

Anyway I won't bore you with the details, but it was a whole big thing which resulted in me going off on my own way and getting soaked because it started raining again, while they got Dole Whips. I was all set to ride Pooh by myself until they called me and said they were gong to Pooh, so I should just wait for them. Really annoying, but I met them at Aloha Isle and then we walked back to ride Pooh together.

After Pooh, my Dad, Matt, Steph, and Steve went off to ride the tea cups while I stayed with my Mom. I just can't do those things. The spinning kills me. After that it was just about time to check in for our dinner. We'd saved a good one for last. We were eating at Be Our Guest and we were super excited to experience this restaurant, especially after almost everyone we knew who ate there raved about it.

Scoppin

View attachment 168023 View attachment 168023
View attachment 168024 View attachment 168025

We were getting hungry, so we decided to grab some lunch at Pecos Bill's. It was a really good choice and a nice change from cheeseburgers and chicken tenders. I had the chicken nachos with cheese, tomato, sour cream, and guacamole. For dessert I had the Churros with chocolate dipping sauce which was amazing! Definitely a great QS stop for a meal.

Our next FP was in Tomorrowland for Space Mountain, but we had some time so we headed over there and took a spin on the People Mover. After the People Mover, Stephanie wanted to see the Carousal of Progress which I didn't mind seeing a second time. After we sat down though, I must have been just really tired because I found my eyes getting heavy and next thing I knew we were at the Christmas scene. I had dozed off on one of my favorite attractions! Good thing we had seen it the other day while we were at MK, I guess I needed that 15 minute cat nap!

By then it was time for our Space Mountain FP. I'd forgotten how rough Space Mountain can be and I wound up in the back of our car. I was thrashed around so much that my pin lanyard actually came unvelcroed and I had to hold onto it for the rest of the ride in fear that it would go flying off and I'd lose them all. Note to self not to sit in the back seat next time.

View attachment 168035 View attachment 168036

Of course on our way out of Space we were on the moving walkway and a bunch of people bottle necked up behind us. You could tell they were not happy about not being able to pass us, but my Mom's wheelchair took up the whole walkway and we didn't feel comfortable moving her while it was moving. So yea... We got some people upset with us. Oh well...

After we got off Space it started to rain, so we took refuge in the Space Mountain gift shop for a little bit. I made us another FP for Buzz Lightyear, but in the mean time we just looked around. I exchanged my Fuel Rod and then my Mom, Steph, and I picked up keychains to buy. By the time it stopped raining, it was time for another ride on Buzz.

Of course there was literally a party of like 10 just standing in front of the FP entrance waiting for their time to come up. It's like REALLY? Do you have to block the entrance for everyone else?

I have no idea what I did. I must have hit a pretty big target somewhere because I beat everyone which never happens. I don't think I could do it again if I tried. I'll take it though!

View attachment 168038 View attachment 168039

I'm not sure what I'm looking at, but my Dad cracks me up. Look how into it he is!
View attachment 168040

After we got off Buzz there was a bit of an argument about where to go next. My Mom wanted to go to Adventureland to get one last Dole Whip, but I pointed out that we were closer to Fantasyland so we should just ride Pooh and then go to Adventureland, so we weren't walking back and forth across the park with a wheelchair which made no sense in my mind. Finally, I told her if she wanted her Dole Whip that bad I'd run and get it for her.

Anyway I won't bore you with the details, but it was a whole big thing which resulted in me going off on my own way and getting soaked because it started raining again, while they got Dole Whips. I was all set to ride Pooh by myself until they called me and said they were gong to Pooh, so I should just wait for them. Really annoying, but I met them at Aloha Isle and then we walked back to ride Pooh together.

After Pooh, my Dad, Matt, Steph, and Steve went off to ride the tea cups while I stayed with my Mom. I just can't do those things. The spinning kills me. After that it was just about time to check in for our dinner. We'd saved a good one for last. We were eating at Be Our Guest and we were super excited to experience this restaurant, especially after almost everyone we knew who ate there raved about it.

Not everyone likes to move while they are on moving walkways. and I guess everyone just needs to deal with it.

I think we had to say excuse me a few times trying to get by groups standing by the fast past entrances. Don't they know they are more like doors than a 'window'.

Glad you were able to enjoy your last day.

DimpledDevil18

Original Poster
We were a few minutes early for our BOG ADR, but we checked in anyway only to learn they were actually running 20 minutes behind schedule. Sometimes, I really do forget that many people who go visit Disney are clueless when it comes to making ADR's 180 days in advance and booking FP's. I lost count of how many people I overheard asking if there were any available tables at Be Our Guest for dinner. It was almost laughable.

Anyway our buzzer went off after maybe 10 minutes and then we waited for a hostess to greet us. I noticed some parties were given a little Lumiere statue to bring with them, but we didn't get one. Are they only for parties with children?

Pretty soon we were walking through these doors.
14095914_10157444192140360_3675867721809444135_n.jpg

And walked past this stained glass mural...

14183826_10157444192255360_6148720127374893544_n.jpg

We were seated in the ballroom, which was gorgeous!

14089172_10157444192245360_8065099172793191169_n.jpg
14089176_10157444192290360_3287259257144252787_n.jpg

Onto the food... I ordered the Grilled Strip Steak and it was REALLY good. Honestly I thought it was just as good as my steak in Le Cellier a few days earlier. I don't remember what my Mom ordered, but my Dad also got the steak. Steph got the Pan-seared Chicken Breast and Steve got the fish (I forgot what type it was). Matt was able to order the grilled cheese from the kids menu, so he was very happy with that.

It was also at this point that I finally got a thank you from the rest of my family. I had worked very hard to plan all our meals, fast passes, and park days and I was at times met with some opposition. I think it was finally at this point they all realized just how much time and research I'd put into this trip. Surprisingly Steph and Steve seemed the most thankful. Maybe they knew I was feeling kind of down that day, but I was very surprised that Steph made it a point to not only thank me, but tell me I did an amazing job. Steve said I can definitely plan any of his future Disney trips and they both think I should make a career out of this. I don't know about that, but I was just very glad to discover that my hard work and dedication was recognized. I think my family wasn't entirely sure I could do all of it on my own and I'm glad I proved them wrong.

So, that definitely helped improve my mood for the day. We had a lovely meal and BOG turned out to be the perfect setting for our last big Disney dinner.
14141587_10157444192370360_1719121090417047215_n.jpg

Steph and Steve had "The Grey Stuff" and it was indeed "delicious." On a side note this particular dining experience has given them the inspiration to have a Beauty and the Beast themed engagement party. They've decided among other things that they are going to try to recreate "The Grey Stuff" to serve for their guests. I was disappointed that I chose not to order it.

After our meals we took some time to snap a few other pictures from the other rooms in the restaurant. Just an FYI, the wait staff is totally fine with you exploring the other rooms while you are eating.

14079848_10157444192285360_8487989544578348300_n.jpg
14100375_10157444192405360_6449972772775666520_n.jpg
14079767_10157444192380360_5269535382427670143_n.jpg
14067462_10157444192390360_4194010712641697612_n.jpg

Next up, meeting the Beast, another accidental theft, and reconnecting with an old friend.

Scoppin

We were a few minutes early for our BOG ADR, but we checked in anyway only to learn they were actually running 20 minutes behind schedule. Sometimes, I really do forget that many people who go visit Disney are clueless when it comes to making ADR's 180 days in advance and booking FP's. I lost count of how many people I overheard asking if there were any available tables at Be Our Guest for dinner. It was almost laughable.

Anyway our buzzer went off after maybe 10 minutes and then we waited for a hostess to greet us. I noticed some parties were given a little Lumiere statue to bring with them, but we didn't get one. Are they only for parties with children?

Pretty soon we were walking through these doors.
View attachment 168719

And walked past this stained glass mural...

View attachment 168718

We were seated in the ballroom, which was gorgeous!

View attachment 168721 View attachment 168722

Onto the food... I ordered the Grilled Strip Steak and it was REALLY good. Honestly I thought it was just as good as my steak in Le Cellier a few days earlier. I don't remember what my Mom ordered, but my Dad also got the steak. Steph got the Pan-seared Chicken Breast and Steve got the fish (I forgot what type it was). Matt was able to order the grilled cheese from the kids menu, so he was very happy with that.

It was also at this point that I finally got a thank you from the rest of my family. I had worked very hard to plan all our meals, fast passes, and park days and I was at times met with some opposition. I think it was finally at this point they all realized just how much time and research I'd put into this trip. Surprisingly Steph and Steve seemed the most thankful. Maybe they knew I was feeling kind of down that day, but I was very surprised that Steph made it a point to not only thank me, but tell me I did an amazing job. Steve said I can definitely plan any of his future Disney trips and they both think I should make a career out of this. I don't know about that, but I was just very glad to discover that my hard work and dedication was recognized. I think my family wasn't entirely sure I could do all of it on my own and I'm glad I proved them wrong.

So, that definitely helped improve my mood for the day. We had a lovely meal and BOG turned out to be the perfect setting for our last big Disney dinner. View attachment 168728

Steph and Steve had "The Grey Stuff" and it was indeed "delicious." On a side note this particular dining experience has given them the inspiration to have a Beauty and the Beast themed engagement party. They've decided among other things that they are going to try to recreate "The Grey Stuff" to serve for their guests. I was disappointed that I chose not to order it.

After our meals we took some time to snap a few other pictures from the other rooms in the restaurant. Just an FYI, the wait staff is totally fine with you exploring the other rooms while you are eating.

View attachment 168731 View attachment 168732 View attachment 168730 View attachment 168729

Next up, meeting the Beast, another accidental theft, and reconnecting with an old friend.

If we ever go back, we will have to go to BOG. DS actually asked if we were going there. I mentioned no, planned many other ADRs. I think he enjoyed most of them, maybe the Princesses ones a little less. He also added about being able to order the grey stuff. He has done some research as well. But then again that was for next year's trip.

Glad all of your hard work was well received and shared with you. It does take some work to plan any trip. And I found out it takes a lot more fro a WDW trip, especially when you are trying to keep it a secret from others. At least I didn't have a party of 6 to plan for with multiple taste and likes. I may have had the easier planning considering I sort of know my two just a little. I guess, all will know if I was successful once I am able to get back to my TR.

BuddyThomas

Day 1- Friday Aug 19th- Travel Day

So our original plans were to leave on Sat Aug 20th and to catch the earliest flight we could into Orlando. Unfortunately, after much pestering from me, when my Dad finally got around to purchasing airline tickets he was shocked to find that he had procrastinated too long and now round trip airfare was near $500 a person. After some creative shuffling around, we discovered that it would be cheaper for us to leave on Friday night with a two hour layover in Baltimore. We had booked two rooms at All Star Movies (3 when my sister and her bf arrived) beginning Saturday night, but my Dad figured to save money the four of us would all squeeze into one room just for Friday night. That was interesting to say the least, but I'll get to that.

Our flight was scheduled for 1:40pm out of Islip MacArthur Airport, which is a very small airport based out of Long Island, which is luckily only about 15 minutes from our house. On our arrival day, I woke up around 9 and got dressed in my "going to Disney outfit" which consisted of black leggings and my Elsa tshirt. After I was dressed and ready, I threw a few last minute items in my carry on and then impatiently sat at my computer waiting for it to be time to leave. (Did I mention it had been 8 long years since I was last at Disney)? Around 10am my Mom went out to get us some bagels to eat for breakfast since we didn't plan on eating again until we landed in Baltimore at 2:50pm. After she came home and we ate our bagels it was about 10:50 and I was itching to get to the airport. Even though MacArthur is tiny and you literally whiz through security, I was eager for our journey to begin plus I'm pretty **** about that whole "arrive at least two hours before your flight" thing. (That and my family is notoriously late for everything!) I offered to start loading the suitcases in the car, but I was told it was too early, so I went up to my room to watch a few Disney Youtube videos to make the time pass.

Finally at around 11:15 my parents called me to tell me that we were finally ready to go to the airport. Apparently Matt had already loaded up the car (oops!). We said a quick good bye to the pets and to my sister who would be joining us later in the week since she had to work. Then we were on our way to the airport! This trip was finally actually happening!

We got to the airport pretty much at like 11:30ish. We dropped Matt and my Dad off with the suitcases near curb side check in while my Mom and I proceeded to the resident lot to park. Because we technically live in the same "town" as the airport, we could apply for resident parking for the year which was cheaper than doing long term parking for 10 days. We parked the car and then started to walk back to Matt and my Dad which wasn't too bad of a walk. We just had to walk to the other end of the terminal which was small. My Mom was already complaining about her knee and I started to worry. You see, my Mom has arthritis in her knee and had surgery last year on it. It helped for a little bit, but it still hurts her a lot especially when she does a lot of walking. We had suggested getting her a wheelchair or ECV for this trip, but my Mom is stubborn and insisted that she would brave through the pain. She even got a shot of cortisone in the knee the week before. This was not a good sign if she was already in pain after walking less than a quarter mile.

We checked our bags in curb side check in and then went on through security. As expected we flew through it. The whole process including bag check took maybe 10 minutes. Then we quickly found our gate and settled in for about an hour wait until we could board. My Mom amused herself with her Kindle while Matt played his video games. My Dad and I took the time to glance over my Disney planning guides that I had bought with me. We also took a few pre Florida pics because why not?

View attachment 159595
Me

View attachment 159597
My Dad

View attachment 159596
My Mom

Matt was a little camera shy so he didn't want to.

Finally it was time for our flight to board! We were flying Southwest and if you don't know, Southwest has open seating which means you are assigned a boarding number when you check in and from there it's first come first serve. Generally speaking, people are still pretty good about moving so that families can sit together. Somehow when we did online check in the night before our boarding numbers wound up pretty spread out and I was on the other side of the B group to board. This resulted in a lot of teasing from my family about how they weren't going to save me a seat. My Dad said maybe I could find a seat attached to the wing and my Mom said I might have to use my broom to get to Orlando. (See how mean they are to me!) Anyway I'm sure we were very entertaining to the people around us. And of course my Dad saved me a seat with him.

Next stop is Baltimore so stay tuned! Thanks for reading!
Love it. Thanks for posting!

DimpledDevil18

Original Poster
If we ever go back, we will have to go to BOG. DS actually asked if we were going there. I mentioned no, planned many other ADRs. I think he enjoyed most of them, maybe the Princesses ones a little less. He also added about being able to order the grey stuff. He has done some research as well. But then again that was for next year's trip.

Glad all of your hard work was well received and shared with you. It does take some work to plan any trip. And I found out it takes a lot more fro a WDW trip, especially when you are trying to keep it a secret from others. At least I didn't have a party of 6 to plan for with multiple taste and likes. I may have had the easier planning considering I sort of know my two just a little. I guess, all will know if I was successful once I am able to get back to my TR.

I definitely would recommend BOG. We loved our meal there! It was definitely hard trying to map out meals for 6 people and make sure everyone gets at least one meal they want. Factor in my brother the picky eater and everyone's food preferences and i can get complicated. I was overall pretty satisfied with our meals on this trip. Honestly the only place I was a little underwhelmed with was probably Le Cellier and that was more because I had built it up a bit too high in my mind I think.

DimpledDevil18

Original Poster
I think I'm kind of delaying this last part of the TR because this post will most likely cover the rest of my night and then I'll probably write up a short post about our departure day, followed by some closing thoughts and then my first TR is complete! :cry:

I'll pick up after our dinner. We stopped in the study for a meet and greet with the master of the castle himself, the Beast. The Beast LOVED my Mom's Dole Whip shirt. He pointed to the shirt and then gestured to himself as if to say he wanted a Dole Whip. The CM with him played along with him perfectly! She said something like, "I guess we'll have to see about installing a Dole Whip here in your castle, Master." The Beast looked thrilled lol.

MK_BEOURGUESTCHAR_20160829_7786800277.jpeg
MK_BEOURGUESTCHAR_20160829_7786800278.jpeg

So remember in an earlier post I mentioned we had become accidental thieves? Earlier in the trip I had accidentally "stolen" someone's Micky straw when my lanyard got tangled on someone's backpack. (Luckily, I was able to return it.) Of course the trip wouldn't be complete without another accidental theft. I'm not sure at what point it happened, but as we were leaving the restaurant I noticed something scraping against the floor like it was stuck to my shoe. I thought it may have been a piece of food or a wrapper or something, so I ignored it and kept on walking. Once we exited the restaurant and walked a little bit away, it was still there, so I lifted up my foot to see what the deal was. The chances of this happening are crazy, but stuck into the bottom sole of my sneaker was a Jasmine pin. It must have fallen off someone's lanyard and I stepped on it. Remarkably it was pretty well intact still. I felt really bad for a moment or two and thought about going back to see if anyone lost it, but it would've probably been impossible to find the owner. I decided to take it as a sign from the Disney gods. A farewell present if you will. At least now the pin will have a special memory and will become one of my favorites in my collection.

It was at that point my parents suggested that we call it a night. It was around 8pm and we still needed to go back and finish packing. They figured we could pack and relax. We'd have just enough time to get up, eat breakfast, check out, before heading over to drop off the van and take the shuttle to the airport the following morning. I had other plans though...

I may or may not have mentioned that I used to live in NC. I moved back home about two years ago and unfortunately have not been able to make it back to visit. It just so happened that one of my friends from NC had planned a trip to Disney with her new bf that overlapped with mine. She was pretty much getting to Disney on our last day. Anyway we'd been texting all day to figure out a time and place to meet for a quick drink to catch up. As I mentioned this was their arrival day and they had been pretty much just resort hopping.We had both just finished our dinner plans for the night, so she suggested we meet up at Disney Springs.

She also invited my family along since she's met them before when they came down to visit me. To be honest, I didn't really want them to tag along. I love them, but we were on day ten here and I was feeling just a tiny bit stifled. My Dad wasn't keen on me hopping on a bus to Disney Springs by myself. (Like I said he was a bit weird about things like that this trip.) I had to remind him that I not only had lived on my own for four years in an entirely different state, but I had taken the Disney buses by myself over 10 years earlier when the friend I was traveling with had gotten sick and had to meet up with me later. :rolleyes: He finally let me go, but told me to be back at the resort around 11:30. (Come on... Even Cinderella had until midnight!)

I headed out with them though, so we could stop and get our final Disney Photopass pictures in front of the park entrance. These are kind of bittersweet...

MK_ENTR_20160829_7786820179.jpeg
MK_ENTR_20160829_7786820181.jpeg
MK_ENTR_20160829_7786820182.jpeg

at first thought I was going to have to take the monorail to one of the MK resorts and get a bus to DS from there, but I decided just to double check to see if I couldn't grab a bus from MK directly to DS. Wouldn't you know, they had recently added service from the parks to DS. Score! So I bid my family good bye and practically ran towards the DS bus line. It felt good to be away from them for a while.

I texted my friend to let her know that I was waiting for a bus. They were already almost there and said I should text them when I arrived at DS. I guess I waited about 15-20 minutes for a bus. Then there was a shift change in drivers. Finally, we were loaded up and on our way. No problems.

When we got to DS, I texted my friend who suggested we meet in the Coke store since it was close to the bus stops. I wasn't in there long until she caught me from behind. It was really great to see her again and we joked about having to go all the way to FL just to see each other.

She introduced me to her bf and then we tried to figure out where we should go for a drink. We wandered around a bit aimlessly. DS is totally new to me and there are so many new lounges and restaurants, I wasn't sure what was good. Then we came across Jock Lindsey's Hanger Bar and I remembered hearing some feedback about how it was a good spot to grab a drink, so we decided to go for it

There were some indoor seating available, but the night wasn't too sticky, so we decided to get a table out on the deck. It was a really nice view. We were right over the water. It was a very relaxing atmosphere. I just wished I had the time to change into something a bit more dressy than my theme park clothes.

I went back and forth on what to order, but I finally decided on the Fountain of Youth. Here is the description from the menu: "St. Augustine Cane Vodka, Bols Blue Curacao, White Cranberry Juice, and Sweet and Sour."

14142056_10157444192515360_3009906115677841630_n.jpg

I thought it tasted really good, but I'm a sucker for anything with blue curacao in it. We enjoyed catching up and I told her the highlights of our trip and what she and her bf must do. They also shared their plans with me. I was a bit jealous because the parks were going to be practically empty that upcoming week.

Soon my glass was empty and it was getting pretty close to pumpkin time for me. So we paid our bill and walked to the bus stop. They were staying at Pop Century, so we said our goodbyes and went on our separate ways. Again I wished I had more time to explore DS, but I had to get back and do my packing.

The bus back to All Star Movies was crowded, but I got a seat. I arrived back to the resort around 11:45 (oops)! As I was walking back towards our room, I bumped into Steph and Steve at the pool bar. They invited me to have a drink with them, but I declined so I could go back and do a little packing.

I didn't get too much packing done. I packed most of the stuff I knew I wasn't going to need in the morning, but left my clothes to refold (I just lived out of my suitcase since the drawer space at the All Stars is laughable) for the morning. With a heavy heart I fell asleep for the last night in my Disney bed :cry:.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom