Trip Report *COMPLETED* Flowers, Family, and ??Fireworks?? (and lots of FOOD): A Memorial Week Trip Report

We are back! I am departing from my usual trip report procedure in that I haven't written the entire thing yet, but am instead posting a bit at a time as I go along. Tonight I am starting with introductions of the cast, since there are some additions who haven't previously appeared in my TRs.

The Cast

The cast of this trip of course includes my wife M and me, Bee. There are three new players, however: M’s mom, dad, and brother, all of whom I consider to be my own family as well! For simplicity I will refer to them as MIL (mother-in-law), FIL (father-in-law), and BIL (brother-in-law because his name starts with M as well! Oh and we all have M last names. Even MIL's maiden name starts with M). A little about each of us:

Bee (me)
Vegetarian, obsessed with Disney, loves seeing Broadway musicals
Married to M for going on two years, honeymooned at WDW
The planner and organizer of the bunch

M (my wife)
Vegetarian, smart and funny, not exactly OBSESSED with Disney like I am but still loves going
Married to me for going on two years, honeymooned at WDW

MIL
Obsessed with Disney and giraffes, loves children
Married to FIL for (almost) 32 years, honeymooned at...you guessed it, WDW!

FIL
Quiet but secretly hilarious, reads all the time, half Italian
Married to MIL for (almost) 32 years, can you tell where we get our Disney obsession??

BIL
Did not get bitten by the Disney bug like the rest of us! Guessing if he gets married he will NOT honeymoon at WDW!

As you can see education is important to this family! It goes back to the previous generation as well because both of M’s grandfathers were university professors; one has a doctorate and the other was ABD when family circumstances prevented him from finishing. In addition, BIL, M, and I all graduated from the HS where FIL is now a guidance counselor (though he worked at a different school while we were are going there) and BIL now teaches there too.

The Plans

Dates
Saturday, May 28-Thursday, June 2 (Me and M)
Saturday, May 28-Monday, May 30 (MIL, FIL, BIL)

Hotel
Pop Century one night, WDW Swan four nights (Me and M)
Two nights offsite in LBV (MIL, FIL, BIL)

Tickets
Annual Passes (Me, M, MIL, FIL)
FL Resident Park Hopper (BIL)

Flights
Southwest Airlines nonstop (Me and M. The others drove as they live 2.5 hours away)

Transportation
DME and Uber (Me and M)
Rental car (MIL, FIL, BIL)

The week before our trip was busy and we didn’t have much time to pack and prepare for the trip. A few days before I finally dragged out the suitcase and started putting things inside, but it wasn’t until the night before we left that we finally got serious about packing. I had rehearsal in Westchester that evening and got home to NJ around 9:30. M had done a lot of work toward packing and we managed to get in bed before midnight for a brief sleep.

We debated whether to bring a large suitcase or a small one and decided on a small one so it wouldn’t be too much trouble to transfer from Pop to the Swan on Sunday. Since the suitcase was small enough we had the option to check it or carry it on. We decided to put the DME tag on it in case we wanted to check it, but to make the final decision in the morning after we saw the line for Southwest bag check. I had been reading TSA horror stories about crazy long wait times and missed flights and I didn’t want to add any unnecessary time to our pre-security time.

Next up: Day 1

bee

Original Poster
Day 5, cont.

M really wanted a pretzel and I really wanted a drink. So where did we go? To Norway, for a pretzel at the pretzel stand and a Viking Coffee at Kringla! The only problem was...there is no pretzel stand in Norway! I totally made that up in my head. So I went inside to Kringla to get the coffee and saw that they have a chocolate pretzel, an interesting substitute. I took my pretzel down to the drink and pay area and asked for an iced Viking Coffee...and their iced coffee machine was broken! I paid for the pretzel and broke the sad news to M. We tried the chocolate pretzel expecting a regular pretzel covered in chocolate and discovered it just tasted like a danish you can get an any hotel continental breakfast. Warning to all: the chocolate pretzel has nothing in common with a regular pretzel other than its name and shape!

tumblr_o89jousu331un92rjo4_1280.jpg

SAD PRETZEL

Did I enjoy the snack?
No

Would I eat it again?
NO

Disappointed but determined, we continued our search for a coffee cocktail and a pretzel. Of course we weren’t far from Germany and soon we were enjoying a legit pretzel.

tumblr_o89jousu331un92rjo5_1280.jpg

FINALLY

What’s next door to Germany? Italy! Where in Italy can I enjoy an adult beverage in a quiet, air-conditioned setting? Tutto Gusto! The place was about half empty (or was it half full?) and we had our pick of seats. We chose a couch and were soon drinking ice cold water brought to us by the excellent servers of Tutto Gusto. I, of course, was not going to be satisfied without a coffee cocktail so I ordered the Espresso Martini. M went with the Sicilian Iced Tea.

tumblr_o89jousu331un92rjo6_1280.jpg

Water

tumblr_o89jousu331un92rjo7_1280.jpg

tumblr_o89jousu331un92rjo8_1280.jpg

Inside Tutto Gusto

tumblr_o89jousu331un92rjo9_1280.jpg

Espresso martini (L) and Sicilian iced tea

Did I enjoy the beverage?
Yes!

Would I drink it again?
Absolutely! I even liked it better than *gasp* the Viking Coffee!

After we finished at Tutto Gusto we decided to call it a day for the park even though we had wanted to see the fireworks. On our way to the International Gateway we stopped at the American Adventure coffee cart for a Shakin’ Jamaican for one last hurrah. It was tasty and refreshing as always.

tumblr_o89jousu331un92rjo10_1280.jpg

Shakin' Jamaican

Did I enjoy the beverage?
Yes!

Would I drink it again?
Of course!

We made the walk back to the exit and waved goodbye to Epcot for the night. We waited a few minutes for a boat and were soon back at the Swan.

tumblr_o89jwjvrr11un92rjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o89jwjvrr11un92rjo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_o89jwjvrr11un92rjo3_1280.jpg

Waiting...

Next up: If you thought we had a view before…

bee

Original Poster
Day 5, cont.

You may recall from earlier that we had wanted to see Illuminations since this was our last night. We didn’t want to go back to the park so we looked for somewhere to watch from outside the park. We’d heard the bridge between the Swolphin and Boardwalk was a good place but we knew we would only see the highest fireworks from there. So we searched for someplace higher.

Then it occurred to us that we were staying near the top of this beautiful hotel that had windows on either side of its long hallways! Duh! We walked to the end closest to Epcot to have a look and took in some spectacular views. Keep in mind that these are all from behind a window.

tumblr_o89lvgMk2k1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o89lvgMk2k1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_o89lvgMk2k1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_o89lvgMk2k1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_o89lvgMk2k1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_o89lvgMk2k1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

From the hallway window

After checking out the views we had a bit of time to rest. We wanted to share a bottle of wine while we relaxed and waited for the fireworks so I went down to the gift shop since every Disney resort gift shop sells wine and other adult beverages. Except, I learned, the Swan doesn’t. :( Just an FYI for anyone considering the Swolphin, the resort gift shops do not stock as much merchandise as standard resort shops do, and they don’t sell alcohol. Maybe Picabu sells alcohol to take? I’m not sure.

While I could have easily walked over to the Boardwalk gift shop it was still hot and I decided it wasn’t worth getting all sweaty again. It was a good time for my Jiko leftovers from the previous evening. It was AMAZING even on the second day.

tumblr_o89jwjvrr11un92rjo10_1280.jpg

Leftovers time!

Next up: Will we be able to see the fireworks? Will we finish our quest for daily sushi?? Will I ugly cry on the last night of vacation???

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Maybe Picabu sells alcohol to take? I’m not sure.

Bee, Picabu has small, single serve bottles of wine and some cocktails (not sure what flavors) and beer as well, I believe. They're in the refrigerated case at the beginning of the tray service area. (I don't drink beer, but I did buy a (single serve) small bottle of wine a couple of nights, and brought it back to my Swan guest room for the evening. I could have also ordered in-room dining, just for drinks if I wanted; but it seemed kind of silly for just one drink, you know? Plus, I'm sure that would have cost me twice as much. I think the in-room dining/liquor option is good if there are a few people, and you wanted to get a bottle of something to share with others.)

bee

Original Poster
OOPS

I forgot to post a few photos that I took while looking for wine around the Swolphin. Here they are...

tumblr_o89kmtjzZL1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_o89kmtjzZL1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_o89kmtjzZL1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_o89kmtjzZL1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

Day 5, cont.

We had already found our viewing spot for Illuminations so around 8:55 we walked to the end of the hallway to watch. We were a little concerned that someone else would have the same idea, but we didn’t see a single person the entire time we were in the hallway. For once the show started on time, and yes, it was a really nice view. Of course we couldn’t see the lower level effects and couldn’t hear the music like during Wishes at California Grill. But we know the show so well that we could follow along and provide our own soundtrack. It was a beautiful quiet moment with just the two of us enjoying a private fireworks show.

tumblr_o89kmtjzZL1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_o89kmtjzZL1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

Before the show

tumblr_o89kmtjzZL1un92rjo8_1280.jpg

During the show

After it ended we were both hungry and headed downstairs to check out Kimonos. There were plenty of tables and we were greeted promptly by a server, who provided us with paper sushi menus. We started with cocktails; I had the Ginger Dandy and M had The Kimonos Dragon.

tumblr_o89kpst4el1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_o89kpst4el1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

Cocktail menu

The Ginger Dandy was great for a ginger fan like me. It was tart and sweet and spicy and really nicely balanced. The Kimonos Dragon was pretty sweet as can be expected and M enjoyed it.

tumblr_o89kpst4el1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

Ginger Dandy (front) and Kimonos Dragon (back)

tumblr_o89kpst4el1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

Place setting

We also put in an order for an Asparagus Roll, Vegetarian Summer Roll, and Ichiban Roll.

kimonos_sushi.jpg

Official menu

All three rolls were fresh and tasty. If I had to pick a favorite I would go with the Asparagus Roll.

tumblr_o89kpst4el1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

Summer roll

tumblr_o89kpst4el1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

Asparagus roll (left) and Ichiban roll (right)

tumblr_o89kpst4el1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

Veggie closeup!

I also had a glass of red wine but I don’t remember what it was and didn’t take notes. It was good, whatever it was.

tumblr_o89kpst4el1un92rjo8_1280.jpg

Wine

Kimonos takes Tables in Wonderland which makes it a great deal in my opinion.

Did I enjoy the beverage? (all)
Yes!

Would I drink it again?
Definitely!

Did I enjoy the meal?
Yes!

Would I eat there again?
Yes! This was probably the best sushi we’ve ever had in WDW. The location was convenient for us and the service was great.

I should also mention it was karaoke time by the time we got down there. Normally I don’t like karaoke because I don’t like watching drunk people make fools of themselves singing out of tune. But the karaoke had just begun so no one was too wasted. There was also a little girl around nine or ten years old who sang “Part of Your World” and she was actually quite good. The funniest moment of the night was when a young late-twenties or early-thirties mom got up to sing. She She kept gesturing for her daughter, who was around six or seven, to come onstage and sing with her but the daughter kept shaking her head. Their table was close to the karaoke platform so the mom tried to take the girl’s hand and bring her onstage but the girl realized what was happening and scooted herself and her chair far enough away from the stage that her mom couldn’t reach her and still hold the mic. We were quite amused.

Reluctantly M went back to our room to start packing to go home. At some point I totally broke down in tears and ugly cried on the bed for who knows how long. It had been such a wonderful and perfect vacation, despite minor mishaps, and it was a chance to spend all day doing fun things with my amazing wife. I was just not ready to get back to the real world of working different hours and not seeing each other as much (M works 9-5 weekdays and I have a more sporadic schedule but tend to work evenings and weekends as that’s the life of a singer/voice teacher). Even now I am getting a little teary thinking about how much fun we had. M gently reminded me that we would be back in Epcot for about an hour in the morning. We packed and showered and went to bed for one last night in the World.

Next up: Our last morning and departure

bee

Original Poster
Bee, Picabu has small, single serve bottles of wine and some cocktails (not sure what flavors) and beer as well, I believe. They're in the refrigerated case at the beginning of the tray service area. (I don't drink beer, but I did buy a (single serve) small bottle of wine a couple of nights, and brought it back to my Swan guest room for the evening. I could have also ordered in-room dining, just for drinks if I wanted; but it seemed kind of silly for just one drink, you know? Plus, I'm sure that would have cost me twice as much. I think the in-room dining/liquor option is good if there are a few people, and you wanted to get a bottle of something to share with others.)
Thank you for this info! That's great to know.

awesome trip report, thank you!
Thank you! And thanks for reading.

Wow, three days away from my TR and I am already down to page three in the TR forum?? It must be summer! :D

bee

Original Poster
Day 6: Thursday, June 2

We awoke early enough to finish packing and leave the Swan around 8:40. I got an express checkout text message from the hotel so we didn’t have to visit the desk for checkout!

tumblr_o8b2te7Z4E1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

So convenient!

When we arrived at the International Gateway it was still morning EMH (which we somehow didn’t realize were happening while we were planning). Since we knew Les Halles wouldn’t open until 9:00 or slightly later we took a few moments to wander around Canada and the UK.

tumblr_o89r26ChOz1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o89r26ChOz1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_o89r26ChOz1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

Canada

tumblr_o89r26ChOz1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_o89r26ChOz1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

UK

tumblr_o89r26ChOz1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

BUG!

tumblr_o89r26ChOz1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

More UK. How lovely it was during the quiet early morning!

tumblr_o89r26ChOz1un92rjo8_1280.jpg

I felt so bad for these CMs. It was barely 9:00 and already super hot and humid. :(

Soon a CM was opening the bridge to France and we walked to Les Halles for our last Disney meal. The occasion required mimosas to accompany our quiches!

tumblr_o8b2te7Z4E1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o8b2te7Z4E1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_o8b2te7Z4E1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

On our way!

tumblr_o8b2te7Z4E1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_o8b2te7Z4E1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

Bonjour!

tumblr_o8b2te7Z4E1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

MMmmmmmmm!!!

Next up: Going home :cry:

bee

Original Poster
Day 6, cont.

After breakfast we reluctantly made our last journey back to the Swan to say goodbye. I tried to stall by snapping photos of everything we saw but M was on to me and kept me moving before I got totally out of control.

tumblr_o8b2te7Z4E1un92rjo8_1280.jpg

The only photo I got before M noticed what I was doing!

We gathered our things and called the Uber; our driver happened to have just dropped someone off at the Swan so he was waiting for us immediately. Our our way to the airport we passed Disney Springs and saw some hot air balloon action!

tumblr_o8b2te7Z4E1un92rjo9_1280.jpg

Balloon

We arrived at MCO about two hours and twenty minutes before our flight time. We printed boarding passes and braced ourselves for a chaotic security experience. It looked like the physical queue setup had at least improved a bit since our last time flying from Orlando. I timed the wait and we were on the other side after only five minutes! M and I just looked at each other in disbelief for a minute after we had gathered our belongings from the scanner belts.

This meant we had quite a bit of time to kill before boarding. We found a spot to charge our phones in the Southwest gate area. After a bit we were hungry so we had some veggie subs from Jersey Mike’s (no photos, sorry!). We were soon boarding and we had a whole row to ourselves, plus we took off a little early!

tumblr_o8b2v8coWd1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

Empty seat!

After takeoff we each ordered a Fat Tire and paid with our drink coupons. It was a pleasant and uneventful flight and we landed about half an hour early in Newark. We took an Uber home and began to face the real world once more.

tumblr_o8b2v8coWd1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

Beer

tumblr_o8b2v8coWd1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

Landing early!

tumblr_o8b2v8coWd1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

RELIEF.

Next up: Final thoughts and general observations

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Oh no--your TR is over?! :(

Go back tomorrow! I want to read more! :p

Really though, thank you for sharing your TR with everyone here. I really enjoyed it and am happy that your trip was full of fun and excitement! :happy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom