Comparing Disney to Six Flags makes zero sense

Cmdr_Crimson

The closest Six Flags got to a Disney quality show despite being on cheaper budget was the "Toonite Show With Bugs Bunny" that used to run at Six Flags Great America before getting demolished and replaced with The Dark Knight Coaster.

There was other shows my park had that were as equally good..

The original Batman Stunt show

And probably the most obscure Stunt show in 1996 for the opening of The Southwest Territory. the Warner Bros Western Stunt Show...That incorporated scenes from F-troop.....And...Whoo-boy.... Blazing Saddles....I'm not kidding this was a thing that happened in Six Flags!!

Although they had a neat Train finale as a highlight.

Pepper's Ghost

Well, there's this recent thread:

Better collection of theme parks - Florida or California?​

The two recent threads about Fastpass mention other theme parks quite a bit, though not necessarily Six Flags.

FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was​

and

FastPass​

Could be I just don't pay close enough attention. 🤣 IMO though, comparing Disney to Six Flags is fair game when slinging mud. Vice versa is not appropriate since Six Flags isn't trying to be Disney, nor are they charging comparative prices.

ppete1975

I think it's less about Americans never leaving the country and more about Americans not traveling to see a theme park. The former is obviously part of it too, but I think a smaller part.

I've been to Europe several times but Disneyland Paris (or any other theme park) has never even been a consideration, even though in an ideal world I'd love to visit it at some point. There are far too many other things I want to experience first -- I spent a week in Paris and could probably spend another two weeks without seeing everything I wanted to see, especially if you're including things doable on a day trip outside the city.
i agree when i go overseas theres a million things to see and countries that are easily accessible... i doubt ill ever go to disney. Which is why most people on here talk domestic.. they either havent traveled abroad or if they have, havent went to the parks... compared to the people who have been to domestic parks

Jrb1979

i agree when i go overseas theres a million things to see and countries that are easily accessible... i doubt ill ever go to disney. Which is why most people on here talk domestic.. they either havent traveled abroad or if they have, havent went to the parks... compared to the people who have been to domestic parks
I am different that way. My sole reason for going to Europe is to visit their parks. Efteling, Europa Park, Alton Towers are some of the ones I really want to visit.

What I have noticed in this thread is how much IP is the reason people go to parks. IP doesn't do anything for me. IMO Disney's best attractions are not IP based. Horizons, World of Motion, Tower of Terror are some of me favorites

MickeyLuv'r

Could be I just don't pay close enough attention. 🤣 IMO though, comparing Disney to Six Flags is fair game when slinging mud. Vice versa is not appropriate since Six Flags isn't trying to be Disney, nor are they charging comparative prices.
Meant to fill that post out more, but I suddenly got called away. Six flags was mentioned multiple times in one or both of the FP threads, because SF has their own version of FP. It is called Flash pass, and it comes in 3 different levels/price points. So when forum members were discussing potential options WDW could adopt, they discussed it. (also older threads on the topic)

Flash Pass:
Bronze = 25% less line (or maybe it is full wait, just you get to walk around instead of standing in the line?) - about $30ish/day
Gold = 60% less line - about $50ish
Platinum = up to 90% less waiting in line. - about $75ish
Season long Gold pass is about $200.

It covers their bigger rides. It is a type of virtual queue. They give you an electronic device, and the device gives your return time. Flash Pass users can only select one ride per time window, but multiple rides can be booked back-to-back. Users get to keep using it all day. Prices vary by season/date.

It is valid to discuss the various models other parks have adopted when designing their virtual queue systems, and I hope we can do so here in a way that is just factual. Disney was one of few parks to include their virtual queue option (3) with every regular park ticket. Most other parks have it as an upcharge.

In the context, facts don't need trash talk. It is possible, if WDW goes to a paid FP, that the WDW version will be similar to some system that some other park somewhere in the world has adopted. In that context, facts about other parks is just helpful information, IMO.

MickeyLuv'r

I am different that way. My sole reason for going to Europe is to visit their parks. Efteling, Europa Park, Alton Towers are some of the ones I really want to visit.

What I have noticed in this thread is how much IP is the reason people go to parks. IP doesn't do anything for me. IMO Disney's best attractions are not IP based. Horizons, World of Motion, Tower of Terror are some of me favorites
I'd like to hear more about about Europe's parks.

For myself, it would depend. I have certainly visited parks in different states. In Europe, there are many excellent things to visit. If I was only going to Europe for a week, I don't think I'd want to spend it riding ordinary rides in a basic amusement park (Scrambler, tilt-a-whirl). But if I was there for a month or more, or if the park had very unique attractions - absolutely! I agree= the non IP attractions would be most interesting.

Admittedly, I'm also a bit of a geek for something like a stand alone Classic Carousel ( themed or has beautiful hand carved horses), or maybe something special like an antique coaster, or a Ferris wheel with an exceptional view.

But even if I'm not likely visit some parks myself, it is interesting to know which parks are the most exciting and unique!

Jrb1979

I'd like to hear more about about Europe's parks.

For myself, it would depend. I have certainly visited parks in different states. In Europe, there are many excellent things to visit. If I was only going to Europe for a week, I don't think I'd want to spend it riding ordinary rides in a basic amusement park (Scrambler, tilt-a-whirl). But if I was there for a month or more, or if the park had very unique attractions - absolutely! I agree= the non IP attractions would be most interesting.

Admittedly, I'm also a bit of a geek for something like a stand alone Classic Carousel ( themed or has beautiful hand carved horses), or maybe something special like an antique coaster, or a Ferris wheel with an exceptional view.

But even if I'm not likely visit some parks myself, it is interesting to know which parks are the most exciting and unique!
Efteling in Holland is the one I'm interested in visiting the most. It's very much like Disney minus the IP.
I will say what I do find interesting is that people on this board will mention other US parks. I have rarely heard any UK people mention the parks there.

Midlife Mouse

For me, the comparison between Disney and Universal versus the rest of the industry comes down not to the question of thrill rides, but of non-thrill rides. My wife has had severe back issues since her teens (scoliosis, spinal fusion, titanium rods running the full length of her spine, etc.). Thrill rides are not an option for her, so our enjoyment of the parks as a family depends on shows, parades, fireworks, and non-thrill rides.

It's in this realm that few other parks can really compete. Dark rides with a heavy focus on story and use of animatronics are expensive to create. Traditionally, Disney had been the only company to invest heavily in that area. (Unfortunately, they seem to be taking the Universal approach of relying on screens lately.)

Looking at just the Magic Kingdom, you'd be hard pressed to find another park that can compete with the lineup of PeopleMover, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan, small world, Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room, Carousel of Progress, Country Bears, Hall of Presidents, Mermaid, Pooh, etc.

We love Dollywood, too, but the trips there are mostly her waiting while the kids and I ride coasters. The shows, the craftspeople, and the beauty of the park are the only things that save her from complete boredom.

EDIT: I should add that this applies to people with young children, older people who may not be physically able to ride thrill rides, and people with issues like motion sickness, vertigo, post-concussion syndrome, etc. What makes the Disney parks great is they have a multitude of attractions for everyone.

Last edited:

DVCscott

Original Poster
I never see people comparing Six Flags to Disney, ever.
I have many times. Maybe it isn't common here - have only been reading here for the past week or so. But the internet overall and theme park forums, if Disney does something, say adds a sponsorship (Starbucks on MSUSA) example, you hear comments like Oh, now they are turning Disney into a Six Flags. Or if a ride isn't themed well, like the Chester and Hester example someone say earlier, you hear people compare to Six Flags. That is what I was saying isn't fair, as Six Flags was never supposed to go toe to toe with big vacation hot spot like Disney.

DVCscott

Original Poster
Adverts with their infamous catch line..
ca6427c0f9f89f1d3e8587ba17bbdb4f.jpg

SFMM1995Brochure4.jpg
This is exactly the mistake I was talking about where Six Flags messed up big time. They never should have jumped in the big tank going head to head with a hot spot like Disneyland. Six Flags should have advertise their strong points... great roller coasters, a fun escape for the weekend, close to home. Never should have started competing with a place people go for a week and spend thousand of tourist dollars.

Cmdr_Crimson

This is exactly the mistake I was talking about where Six Flags messed up big time. They never should have jumped in the big tank going head to head with a hot spot like Disneyland. Six Flags should have advertise their strong points... great roller coasters, a fun escape for the weekend, close to home. Never should have started competing with a place people go for a week and spend thousand of tourist dollars.
Well, Warner and Disney were the big hot buttons of the 90's and it was just another way to compete since Time Warner took over until 1999 when the atrocity that is Premier Parks screwed them wholy after the buyout of Six Flags..There was also a short moment from 2007 to 2009 when Red Zone which was run by former ESPN execs ran the company and during that time guests had seen generic Disney and Pixar related merch being sold within the parks..It was a really strange time being in a SF Park..

Last edited:

MickeyLuv'r

if Disney does something, say adds a sponsorship (Starbucks on MSUSA) example, you hear comments like Oh, now they are turning Disney into a Six Flags.

Or if a ride isn't themed well, like the Chester and Hester example someone say earlier, you hear people compare to Six Flags. That is what I was saying isn't fair, as Six Flags was never supposed to go toe to toe with big vacation hot spot like Disney.
the first part, not so much (in my experience). The second part of your post is long standing and I have read that opinion many times over the years. That land of AK is just not very popular, and specifically singled out as having classic carnival rides that are at all not unique to WDW.

Again though, I go back to my earlier post. Primeval Whirl very specifically= a ride that is elsewhere called a "wild mouse", and there are MANY of them worldwide. All made by the same company. That part of AK also has Triceratops Spin, which is the same as Astro Orbiter, Dumbo and Universal's Twirl N Hurl. Of them, I am partial to Twirl N' hurl myself; the jokes are pretty funny.

brb1006

To be fair, Warner Brothers was big in the 90s. They were still making animated films every once in a while, The Looney Tunes franchise gained a resurge in popularity thanks to the success of Animanicas, Tiny Toons, and especially Space Jam. Batman: the Animated Series was huge alongside making three live-action Batman films. I can understand why Warner Brothers wanted to stick out more in the amusement park/theme park business with Six Flags considering they actually had their own store (Warner Bros. Studio Store) that was similar to "The Disney Store" and was found at various malls during the 90s.

DVCscott

Original Poster
they actually had their own store (Warner Bros. Studio Store) that was similar to "The Disney Store" and was found at various malls during the 90s.
We had one at a large mall not far from where I grew up. They sure did resemble the (good) Disney Stores of yesteryear.
The nineties was a magical time when it tried to be.

brb1006

We had one at a large mall not far from where I grew up. They sure did resemble the (good) Disney Stores of yesteryear.
The nineties was a magical time when it tried to be.
Yeah, I remember tons upon tons of Looney Tunes merchandise between the mid to late 1990s and early 2000s. Even The Animaniacs and Tiny Toons still managed to gain public attention with both shows rerunning on Cartoon Network (and later Nicktoons) throughout the mid to late 2000s. While Warner Brothers is still popular (especially after the launch of HBOMax), Warner Brothers/TimeWarner was a powerhouse during the 1990s.

As @Cmdr_Crimson mentioned, Six Flags during the 1990s made multiple commercials and advertisements taking pot shots at Disney and The Disney Theme Parks in general to establish their parks as family friendly (before aiming at teens and older audiences sometime in the mid 2000s).

Remember, this was the same era as the "Console Wars" where Sega was taking pot shots at Nintendo ("Genesis Does What Nintendon't) in the gaming community. Followed by other companies that made game consoles (such as the 3D0 where didn't stand a chance_ that wanted to be like Nintendo or Sega which also took pot shots at them.

Also yes, I miss the Disney Store where the designs felt unique and was the closest people could get to the Disney Parks.

15188350297_20d24c957a_b.jpg

With Warner Bros. Studio Store doing a similar approach.
5pp39y1yvxl31.jpg

1rqQapP.jpeg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom