Coming back to the Orginal Land in May

allgar

Original Poster
Hey all,

I'll be coming back to Disneyland for a visit from May 26th - 28th, 2011.

My itinerary takes me from Ottawa (hometown) Canada to Las Vegas for a few days, and then I rent a car and drive to Anaheim arriving on the 25th.

My three days in the park are a Thursday, Friday, Saturday and they coincidentally coincide with the US long weekend in May AND the launch of the new rides (June 3rd) / parade (May 27th) are all taking place around the same time.

My question is whether you fine veterans of Disneyland can give me a hint as to how busy you think the parks will be on Thursday, Friday and Saturday? Can I expect really high peak type levels all three days or should I expect that only on the Saturday. In the end, it doesn't really matter, I'm coming anyways, but I'd like to know what you all think I'm in for from a crowd perspective. I've read on another site that they expect crowds to be exceptionally heavy from the 25th through the launch on the third. What's exceptionally heavy like at DL and CA? I tend to avoid parks at peak times so I really don't know.

Also, do you think there is any hope that the two new rides will be open prior to their official date of June 3rd. My gut tells me no, but my heart is pleading with me to provide a glimmer of hope that they will open for a preview or test rides.

TP2000

Memorial Day Weekend is actually not very crowded; but it gets a bad rap because it's the traditional start of summer and people just assume it's busy.

You will probably notice the most crowds on Friday afternoon and evening, as all the AP's get off work and flood the parks to see the new parade and hang out. Little Mermaid at DCA will probably be in soft openings, so it could also be swamped on Friday night as the AP's rush to see it. Splash Mountain reopens from its 5 month rehab that Friday too, so there's another place to avoid on Friday. Even Thursday evening after 4PM can see a noticeable bump in crowds as AP's flood in after work and schoool, maybe planning on playing hooky on Friday for the holiday weekend.

Thursday and Saturday will be less crowded in both parks than Friday, mainly because most AP's are blocked out on Saturday. I would plan to take advantage of a World of Color Fastpass or dining package for Friday night, and avoid the Disneyland scene Friday afternoon/evening. http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneys-california-adventure/world-of-color/dining/

On Saturday, stake out a nice spot for the parade, grab a Fastpass for Splash Mountain, and generally expect a mildly busy but enjoyable day in both parks. Since your a theme park veteran, I'm sure you'll take advantage of Fastpass for all the big stuff. And your multi-day visit will give you plenty of time to do all you want, and hit a few favorites several times.

allgar

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the info. Great information and we'll likely follow your advice to the "t".

As always these boards are very helpful.

P.S. Yes we'll be taking full advantage of FastPass. I must admit that I had a choice between going the first weekend of my trip (May 21st - 24th) or the second, but I chose the second because my favorite ride reopens (SplashM) and the new parade. Keeping my fingers crossed for soft openings.

Mukta

I won't make any promises, but I feel like we usually have soft openings at DL. Especially since it is a holiday weekend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom