Comcast to buy SeaWorld?

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Not sure if this is the right forum to post....but it is a rumor and could affect Disney World so... there is a rumor out there about Comcast looking to possibly buy SeaWorld.

What do you think would this mean for the future of Uni and WDW?

Could this be in play along with TWDC buying Warner Bros?

Ultra Duck

This could mean for the first time in history The Walt Disney Company will drop to 2nd place as Largest Theme Park Company and Universal would take 1st place away from the creators of theme parks. Comcast's plans is to do just that, so Disney better wake up. Lets see what happens with that transaction, but Universal could go from 2 theme parks to 4 theme parks (Bush Gardens) and 2 or 3 water parks in Central FL Area and who knows what will happen with Discovery Cove.

Capsin4

I'm not sure what to make of this. Attendance at the Seaworld Parks in NA has been flat the last 5 years or so. Maybe this is a cheaper way to acquire more customers than building new parks...especially since they'd be doing so on both costs with one transaction. I think the biggest benefit here for comcast is the 4 FL parks and two water parks would put them on par with DW as far as number of days to "do it all". I know some fans of Uni can spend a week at the two parks, but a day or two is all the general masses think about if they think about it at all. Let's face it. If DHS and DAK were a separate company, their attendance would be much lower, maybe not even competetive with SWO. Maybe this gives UNI the ability to over week long tickets at a significant disount from a 2/3 day ticket and people would actually want to buy then. Pair that with a couple new resorts and UNI could have the critical mass in FL to start becoming the destination of choice rather than a side trip.

This would be a win for consumers.

Disneyhead'71

I can see Comcast buying the Orlando complex and flattening the SeaWorld park except for Manta and possibly Atlantis and building a whole new park..

Cedar Fair buying the Busch Gardens parks. The Texas Sea World closing and San Diego becoming mostly a research facility.

AndyS2992

This could mean for the first time in history The Walt Disney Company will drop to 2nd place as Largest Theme Park Company and Universal would take 1st place away from the creators of theme parks. Comcast's plans is to do just that, so Disney better wake up. Lets see what happens with that transaction, but Universal could go from 2 theme parks to 4 theme parks (Bush Gardens) and 2 or 3 water parks in Central FL Area and who knows what will happen with Discovery Cove.
You seem to be forgetting that Comcast is in third place whilst Merlin Entertainment and Disney take the top two. Even with SeaWorld, Comcast would still be in third place.

71jason

Why would SeaWorld really want to buy a park that has bad PR, honestly.

An existing theme park, zoned as such, with infrastructure such as a parking lot and restaurants not to mention at least a couple salvagable rides, within view of the #1 or #2 convention center in the U.S.

And it comes with Discovery Cove and Aquatica, both licenses to print money.

Capsin4

They've actually been fine until this year, the other year they had one of their highest years, I think it was the year after Dawn's death bc it was such a surprise to people.
Not sure how accurate wikipedia is, but they have 2008 as the highest attendance through 2013 for SWO (2013 about 15% lower than 2008). Companywide, attendance has oscillated around 23 million over that time. Their poor performance and the following hit to their share price is what's making them attractive right now to be bought up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom