Cold February in WDW this year?

mojokitty

Original Poster
Since we weren't able to go to DW in Oct. I am trying to plan for early 2017. I am looking at the last week of Feb./first week of March or the last week of April.
I would rather do Feb. because I'm afraid that April will be too hot. However, I have noticed that there have been predictions for a cold winter this year that will stay around longer. It makes me nervous that Feb. may be too cold.
I know that I'm more than likely over reacting and reading too much into this but it's getting me a little nervous.
Have any of you been in Feb. and April? Which did you prefer based on crowds and weather?

Chernaboggles

We've done February several times. Morning and evenings can be chilly, warmer at midday. We've had a few nights where we wanted coats and gloves (and the parks were largely empty because of it!) and often we changed several times in a given day. Overall, though, February, especially the last week, is our favorite time to go. Low humidity, lots of sunshine, light crowds except for the vacation week. Love it.

StarWarsGirl

FL weather in the winter is just completely unpredictable. I've had winter trips that were in the 80s. I've been there when there's been a freeze watch at night. I had one trip where there was 80 degree weather and a freeze watch in the same week.

The later you go in the winter, though, the warmer it is likely to be. Unless you're planning on doing a lot of swimming or water parks, February is a lovely time to be in WDW weather wise.

zeebs758

In the Parks
Yes
Just a heads up at the end of February you have back to back busy weekends at Walt Disney World. Presidents Day and RunDisney. I am going first week of March because of that.

mojokitty

Original Poster
Just a heads up at the end of February you have back to back busy weekends at Walt Disney World. Presidents Day and RunDisney. I am going first week of March because of that.
I'm thinking we will do Feb. 27 through March 3. I think everything is over by then but it is the week of Mardi Gras. Does that make much of a difference crowd wise? I am wondering now if the second week of March would be better. The UT crowd calendar is showing 5/10 and 6/10 that week. The week before is mostly 3/10 and 4/10.

Goofyernmost

I'm thinking we will do Feb. 27 through March 3. I think everything is over by then but it is the week of Mardi Gras. Does that make much of a difference crowd wise? I am wondering now if the second week of March would be better. The UT crowd calendar is showing 5/10 and 6/10 that week. The week before is mostly 3/10 and 4/10.
That's possible because I don't really know anymore, but, I do know that years ago we always went that week because the entire New England/New York area had that week off for Mid-winter break. They carried it over into the first of March because many community's had local elections the first Tuesday in March.

draybook

We've been in February this year and last. I wore shorts and a hoodie. It felt great, but I'm extremely warm blooded by nature.

raven

Also be aware that it isn't uncommon for the temps here in Central Florida to dip down into the upper 20's. Usually only lasts a day or two but with the humidity on top of that, it feels colder than that.

jgj123

You'll be there with a lot of folks from the New Orleans/Gulf Coast area escaping Mardi Gras, myself included. It should be fine.

Goofyernmost

Ask that question again in March and we can put a degree of accuracy on the response. Otherwise, the weather takes direction from no one, so, that is why the most efficient method of knowing what the weather is would be to look out the window at that time. I have always found that it can be cool, not freezing, but, can be uncomfortable if it is a windy day. Unless it has that wind it usually warms up to the 70's during the day. In all the years I have been going there I have only encountered one day that felt chilly all day long. The rest of the time, it was t-shirts and shorts. Besides it was fun to do that and laugh at the CM's in their parka, knit hats and mittens when I went strolling in with my t's and shorts.

Goofyernmost

Here is a link to February weather history in Orlando. We had the pleasure of being there in 1996 when the low temperature was 26 degrees. You'll see that every February, with two or three exceptions has at least some days with a low in the 30s. It's a totally hit or miss month. http://weather-warehouse.com/WeatherHistory/PastWeatherData_OrlandoIntlArpt_Orlando_FL_February.html
Also have been in mid January and it was upper 70's everyday with nothing but sunshine.

JIMINYCR

We've been both months and each were enjoyable, but much more preferred the get aways in Feb. Those Feb trips were great because we escaped the much harsher, colder, snowy, wintery weather in Maine. The pools tended to be too chilly for us to enjoy .... but the hot tubs felt great. Just had to be prepared to switch from shorts to jeans and t shirts to long sleeve shirt or windbreaker as cooler temps arrived later in the evening.

Since we weren't able to go to DW in Oct. I am trying to plan for early 2017. I am looking at the last week of Feb./first week of March or the last week of April.
I would rather do Feb. because I'm afraid that April will be too hot. However, I have noticed that there have been predictions for a cold winter this year that will stay around longer. It makes me nervous that Feb. may be too cold.
I know that I'm more than likely over reacting and reading too much into this but it's getting me a little nervous.
Have any of you been in Feb. and April? Which did you prefer based on crowds and weather?
I've been in February multiple times -- one February I caught Pneumonia because it was so cold. Other times it was cool but not hot. I'd pack layers.

officialtom

We normally do late January/early February and absolutely love the temperatures. Going from the eastern Canadian winter (-10 to -20C and a dozen feet of snow) to the Florida "winter" (12 to 25C) is wonderful. I've even had a few days that I found too hot, but I'm really not one to enjoy anything above 25C. I agree that April is normally too hot.

Good tip, though, to plan on pants and a light sweater for certain mornings and evenings. Other times, I wore shorts, t-shirts, and flip-flops all day and into the night without getting cold.

Goofyernmost

I've been in February multiple times -- one February I caught Pneumonia because it was so cold. Other times it was cool but not hot. I'd pack layers.
Sorry about the Pneumonia, but you don't "catch" it because it was cold out. If that were the case everyone in the northern states and Canada would be in the hospital full time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom