Cleaning Pressed Pennies

calicommando

I remember something about cleaning pennies when i was about 12 years old. That's been 15 years, but I'm pretty sure we used baking soda and vinegar. Can't hurt to try.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It all depends on how tarnished they are and or how much work you want to put into it. The easiest way is to soak them in vinegar or lemon juice. This will remove the copper oxide (brown to black tarnish on the penny) and leave a fairly bright metal. You can also mix a little baking soda in with the vinegar. The bubbling baking soda will help to agitate the vinegar. Do not leave the pennies in the vinegar or lemon juice too long (more than a few days) or it can eat away at the copper. For highly oxidized pennies a Dremel tool with a fine wire brush and a polishing wheel with polishing compound will be needed. After that you can polish and protect them further by polishing them with a cream polish like MAAS or Flitz. This will bring out a high luster and prevent further oxidation for a while.

Thorphin

Nice, detailed instructions, there! But, about that last bit - the polishing compound thingee.... it really depends on why you want to clean them - if it's just for personal enjoyment, shellack them with whatever you want. I work in a Museum, though, and that's about the worst thing to do to something, from a preservation standpoint. If you are hoping to sell the pennies in the future to some collector, adding anything to the original object will likely reduce its value. For that reason, I'd recommend just thorough cleaning that doesn't affect the object. (Or maybe I'm overthinking this altogether) :)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Nice, detailed instructions, there! But, about that last bit - the polishing compound thingee.... it really depends on why you want to clean them - if it's just for personal enjoyment, shellack them with whatever you want. I work in a Museum, though, and that's about the worst thing to do to something, from a preservation standpoint. If you are hoping to sell the pennies in the future to some collector, adding anything to the original object will likely reduce its value. For that reason, I'd recommend just thorough cleaning that doesn't affect the object. (Or maybe I'm overthinking this altogether) :)
This can work but quite frequently a clear-coat can turn white and begin to flake off over time. Both MAAS and Flitz provide a protective barrier that will help to prevent future oxidation providing the it is periodically reapplied. (about once a year) Buffing with a Dremel is as you stated pretty much a last resort because you will essentially be removing a thin layer of metal in order to get to unoxidized shiny metal.

wdwmomof3

My little girl had a science project and one thing that she did was clean pennies with lemon juice. I could not believe that it really worked. Try it and see if it works for you. We left them over night and they were clean the next day. :)

Scooter

There are lots of copper cleaning products on the market.
Check your local grocery store and/or Hardware store.
I use a product called Brasso to clean copper.
Keep out of reach of children though.

sillykid

Try using an eraser from a pencil. It's delicate and works very well. Funny to see the taco bell sauce trick, we tried that once and it really worked. I bet we tossed the penny before we saw a white gloss show up.

C&D

You might want to try auto polish or a lightly abrasive car wax (the wax will help keep the shine protected). Toothpaste will also work.

parker kim

Hi don't forget to get one of those great holder they sale a WDW. The coins should be of a curtian year and older like 1975 or old to work the best, they say. I know I read this on here last year before my trip in oct. or all ears. theres also a web sight with all the pressed penny and quarter machines in disney but that could drive you crazy knowing how many are out there. but here the address anyway presscoins.com the unofficial walt disney world pressed coin guide.

miles1

When I was a kid, my mother had a set of Revereware pots and pans (copper bottom) that she bought Revereware cleaner for at the grocery store. (I think she still had those pots when she passed away two years ago-they were over 50 years old!) Anyway, I used to clean my pennies with that and they looked great.

dazzer68

:ROFLOL: coca cola really does work or even pepsi!!
drop a coin in leave overnight and see what happens! works down dirty plug holes too! oh and gives a gleaming shine to your....:ROFLOL: stomach!

maharet97a

If you want to try the eraser thing, you may want to go to an art/drawing supply store (even some Wal Marts sell them in their craft department) and pick up a kneaded eraser. They are a soft, malleable eraser that is good for getting in all the nooks and crannies of the pressed design. Think along the lines of a Mr Clean Magic Eraser, but smaller, rubber and better suited for this type of cleaning.

Dwarful

We are doing this as a girl scout project before we go on our trip to Disney. Sort of a science experiement...comparing different years of pennies and getting them clean and sparkling for our August trip. We are using the lemon juice, vinegar and ketchup.

At home we do the ketchup and it works fine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom