Citrus Dreamin' - A NEW Imagineering Competition - Chat and Hype Thread

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
This was the view you would see driving down Harbor Boulevard in Anaheim, California back in the 1940s:

4.max-600x600_nnlTJ85.jpg

Here is a picture taken from roughly the same spot in the 1980s:

6ba49a2c102cefb12f6e7e2dbb4c54df-800.jpg

We are all here for the same reason: because we love the art of theme park design. Themed entertainment might not have started there, but Disneyland is where theme parks as we know them began.

And Disneyland itself began as orange groves

5f9737c244e06.image.jpg

Walt Disney said “I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing…that it was all started by a mouse.” While that may be true for the animation studio (ignoring the cats and rabbits that came first), Disneyland, and by extension every major theme park we know today, was started with just 160 Acres of Orange Trees and one little spark of inspiration.

So, let's carry that spirit of imagination AND Vitamin C forward as we start a new Armchair Imagineering competition...

Welcome to Citrus Dreamin'

0jA7DNd.png

My name is Pi, and I'll be your Skipper today.

Now, let's see what's growing on here!

Get in? Like "Going on," but with "growing" instead to fit the orange grove theme! Classic comedy!

--How does the Game Work?--

3cd4f-1.gif

Pictured: The start of a 3 Hour Tour

This is going to be a very accessible and a bit more of a back-to-basics armchair Imagineering game. Taking it back to the simplicity of an orange grove* and a dream.
*Orange Groves will not be provided, if you cannot supply your own orange grove, any regulation size field of citrus trees will do.

This will be a Team Based Competition! With some loose Adventureland theming, Orange Bird as our adorable and marketable mascot, and a light hearted comedic tone inspired by the Jungle Cruise this game is sure to be a good time for all! The focus is on collaboration, brainstorming, creative writing, art, and presentation. Come up with an idea together and then communicate that in as fun and effective a way as you can!

Psixi35.png

Pictured: An Average Team Brainstorming Meeting

Citrus Dreamin' will be divided into a series of Wondrous Rivers. These will serve as "Acts" for the game, each with their own theme. Maybe one Wondrous River will involve projects taking place in different eras? Or perhaps one will involve a gimmick that changes an aspect of the gameplay? There's no way of knowing what is just around the riverbend!

The Imagineering Expeditions (our fancy names for the rounds/prompts) will generally take a week barring any unforeseen twists. Each Wondrous River will take players on 2-4 Expeditions (so, the acts will have about 3 rounds each, give or take). I'll give the teams an Imagineering challenge, and they'll propose their best ideas!

Expeditions will either end in a prize for the winning team of an elimination for the losing team. Beyond just regular eliminations, there is the possibility of team shuffling to balance them out or extra eliminations due to lack of activity or other issues. If possible, any shake ups to the teams not caused by eliminations will happen between Rivers. The prizes that can be won from non-elimination rounds will vary from very simple gags to things that might impact the next Expedition, so every round is important! Perhaps one might even win the coveted Golden Dole Whip

2021-DL-disneyland-park-tropical-hideaway-dole-whip-cup-4-700x525.jpg

Pictured: This, but Gold

There will be an ultimate winner and getting competitive is a part of the fun, but the focus is on growing as Imagineers, having a good time, and creating some really cool stuff! So, if anyone needs an extension for any of the Expeditions I am happy to work with you, just ask 24 Hours before the due date so that it's fair to the other team.

I want to try to foster an environment where everyone is welcome and comfortable being themselves and having fun! If any other players make you feel uncomfortable in any way let me know and I'll do what I can to make it right.

--When is the Game?--

Citrus Dreamin' will start on March 14th, 2024!

Right at Midnight WDW Time (9 PM Disneyland Time)!
If there's any time zones you want included in due dates to make things more accessible let me know

tiki-room-watch-ever-after-3-scaled.jpg

Pictured: A bird brained way to tell time

While the exact end date will depend on how many extensions or other real life delays happen as well as how high the activity/excitement level is, the plan is for the game to last around 10 weeks and finish right around the middle to the end of May.

--How do I sign up?--

6y32DYT.png

Pictured: A list of the last group of Imagineers to play in a game I hosted

If you're interested in playing then you're in the right spot! Just introduce yourself and answer these riddles three to sign up to play!
  1. What Armchair Imagineering Project are you most proud of?
  2. What do you think you best talent is?
  3. What do you hope to get better at during this game?
I'm not great at making riddles.

You can start signing up now. If you don't want to play but are interesting in helping with guest reviews that is also awesome just let me know!

Orange you glad you clicked on this thread?

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Hello all you wonderful people, allow me to introduce myself. I’m Cdunlap and I’ll be a guest judge because I’ve got a lot going on in my life! My favorite project of mine has to be Vista Mythica.
My best talent is, well, writing.
I hope to get better at actually guest judging during this game.
Look forward to having you on the team!

PerGron

Hey everyone, excited to be signing up for this game! Everyone likely knows me, but I'm PerGron (the Dark part will be gone soon, ignore that little bit)

1. My favorite project I've ever worked on has to remain Age of Magic, the nighttime show for the 1986 competition's Blue Sky Park. I wrote out the whole script there and it's definitely my favorite bit of writing I've done.

2. As for my biggest talent, I think it's a mix between out of the box thinking, writing, and putting animals wherever, even when they don't belong!

3. I hope to get better at just chilling out and relaxing in these things. I always try to insert myself into leadership, but after finishing up my own game, I don't want to coast by any means, but I'm ready to just do my part and chill out beyond that!

Chaos Cat

Looks intersting. Probably won't be able to join, though. I've recently joined a roleplay community on Reddit called "The Dragonborn War" that's been taking up my free time. (You can find it here. I still use the "b-wolf95" name there.) I might change my mind later, but for now I'm just going to avoid a repeat of last comp and just stay out.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
This was the view you would see driving down Harbor Boulevard in Anaheim, California back in the 1940s:

We are all here for the same reason: because we love the art of theme park design. Themed entertainment might not have started there, but Disneyland is where theme parks as we know them began.

5f9737c244e06.image.jpg

Walt Disney said “I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing…that it was all started by a mouse.” While that may be true for the animation studio (ignoring the cats and rabbits that came first), Disneyland, and by extension every major theme park we know today, was started with just 160 Acres of Orange Trees and one little spark of inspiration.

So, let's carry that spirit of imagination AND Vitamin C forward as we start a new Armchair Imagineering competition...

0jA7DNd.png

Get in? Like "Going on," but with "growing" instead to fit the orange grove theme! Classic comedy!

3cd4f-1.gif

This is going to be a very accessible and a bit more of a back-to-basics armchair Imagineering game. Taking it back to the simplicity of an orange grove* and a dream.
*Orange Groves will not be provided, if you cannot supply your own orange grove, any regulation size field of citrus trees will do.

This will be a Team Based Competition! With some loose Adventureland theming, Orange Bird as our adorable and marketable mascot, and a light hearted comedic tone inspired by the Jungle Cruise this game is sure to be a good time for all! The focus is on collaboration, brainstorming, creative writing, art, and presentation. Come up with an idea together and then communicate that in as fun and effective a way as you can!

Psixi35.png

Citrus Dreamin' will be divided into a series of Wondrous Rivers. These will serve as "Acts" for the game, each with their own theme. Maybe one Wondrous River will involve projects taking place in different eras? Or perhaps one will involve a gimmick that changes an aspect of the gameplay? There's no way of knowing what is just around the riverbend!

The Imagineering Expeditions (our fancy names for the rounds/prompts) will generally take a week barring any unforeseen twists. Each Wondrous River will take players on 2-4 Expeditions (so, the acts will have about 3 rounds each, give or take). I'll give the teams an Imagineering challenge, and they'll propose their best ideas!

Expeditions will either end in a prize for the winning team of an elimination for the losing team. Beyond just regular eliminations, there is the possibility of team shuffling to balance them out or extra eliminations due to lack of activity or other issues. If possible, any shake ups to the teams not caused by eliminations will happen between Rivers. The prizes that can be won from non-elimination rounds will vary from very simple gags to things that might impact the next Expedition, so every round is important! Perhaps one might even win the coveted Golden Dole Whip

There will be an ultimate winner and getting competitive is a part of the fun, but the focus is on growing as Imagineers, having a good time, and creating some really cool stuff! So, if anyone needs an extension for any of the Expeditions I am happy to work with you, just ask 24 Hours before the due date so that it's fair to the other team.

I want to try to foster an environment where everyone is welcome and comfortable being themselves and having fun! If any other players make you feel uncomfortable in any way let me know and I'll do what I can to make it right.

--When is the Game?--

If there's any time zones you want included in due dates to make things more accessible let me know

While the exact end date will depend on how many extensions or other real life delays happen as well as how high the activity/excitement level is, the plan is for the game to last around 10 weeks and finish right around the middle to the end of May.

--How do I sign up?--

6y32DYT.png

If you're interested in playing then you're in the right spot! Just introduce yourself and answer these riddles three to sign up to play!

You can start signing up now. If you don't want to play but are interesting in helping with guest reviews that is also awesome just let me know!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes

5f9737c244e06.image.jpg

0jA7DNd.png

3cd4f-1.gif

Psixi35.png

--When is the Game?--

--How do I sign up?--

6y32DYT.png

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes

5f9737c244e06.image.jpg

0jA7DNd.png

3cd4f-1.gif

Psixi35.png

--When is the Game?--

--How do I sign up?--

6y32DYT.png

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes

5f9737c244e06.image.jpg

0jA7DNd.png

3cd4f-1.gif

Psixi35.png

--When is the Game?--

--How do I sign up?--

6y32DYT.png

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes

5f9737c244e06.image.jpg

0jA7DNd.png

3cd4f-1.gif

Psixi35.png

--When is the Game?--

--How do I sign up?--

6y32DYT.png

cdunlap

1. My favorite project I've ever worked on has to remain Age of Magic, the nighttime show for the 1986 competition's Blue Sky Park. I wrote out the whole script there and it's definitely my favorite bit of writing I've done.
The park in question is probably one of the best things I've ever read. For the sake of everyone who wants to read it, you can find it here! I would like to thank PerGron for posting this around the time I announced Disney's Ancient Wonders, which had no name back when it was first announced, a park that has a few parallels to The Lost Kingdoms. https://sites.google.com/view/1986blueskypark/1986-park?authuser=0

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes

5f9737c244e06.image.jpg

0jA7DNd.png

3cd4f-1.gif

Psixi35.png

--When is the Game?--

--How do I sign up?--

6y32DYT.png

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes

5f9737c244e06.image.jpg

0jA7DNd.png

3cd4f-1.gif

Psixi35.png

--When is the Game?--

--How do I sign up?--

6y32DYT.png

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes

5f9737c244e06.image.jpg

0jA7DNd.png

3cd4f-1.gif

Psixi35.png

--When is the Game?--

--How do I sign up?--

6y32DYT.png

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Hey everyone, excited to be signing up for this game! Everyone likely knows me, but I'm PerGron (the Dark part will be gone soon, ignore that little bit)

2. As for my biggest talent, I think it's a mix between out of the box thinking, writing, and putting animals wherever, even when they don't belong!

3. I hope to get better at just chilling out and relaxing in these things. I always try to insert myself into leadership, but after finishing up my own game, I don't want to coast by any means, but I'm ready to just do my part and chill out beyond that!
Welcome aboard! "I'll kick back, take a backseat, and relax more this game" is probably one of the biggest lies Armchair Imagineers tell ourselves lol. But there's no where better to unwind than out here in our tropical hideaway!

Looks intersting. Probably won't be able to join, though. I've recently joined a roleplay community on Reddit called "The Dragonborn War" that's been taking up my free time. (You can find it here. I still use the "b-wolf95" name there.) I might change my mind later, but for now I'm just going to avoid a repeat of last comp and just stay out.
Always nice seeing you around even if its just for the occasional bit of fun color commentary! If you do change your mind and want to join us on our cruise down the jungle just let me know

The park in question is probably one of the best things I've ever read. For the sake of everyone who wants to read it, you can find it here! I would like to thank PerGron for posting this around the time I announced Disney's Ancient Wonders, which had no name back when it was first announced, a park that has a few parallels to The Lost Kingdoms. https://sites.google.com/view/1986blueskypark/1986-park?authuser=0
The 1986 park is an astounding accomplishment!

WaltWiz1901

Alright, let's do this!

You can call me WaltWiz. I've been lurking around this neck of the woods for a good long while, including following along with many of the games that were played in years (and months) past, and took part in the previous episode of the One Sentence Competition over the last few months.
1. I'm especially proud of the Dream Resort I spent more than a year planning out. While I've done a bit of armchair Imagineering outside of these forums before, that exercise was instrumental to giving me enough confidence to join your ranks.
2. I am talented at drawing, writing, and thinking outside the box.
3. I wouldn't mind brushing up on all three of those

Architectural Guinea Pig

In the Parks
No
I'm in, 900%! I can even provide 🍊citrus tree ownership credentials 🍊if you want.

1. I'm proudest of my work in What If...?'s Prompt 3 project, where Team Cassie did a trip report of sorts. It was just so genius, funny, and creative that I sometimes sit back and read our project all over again!
2. I'm best at Presentations because I can make a plain project spiffy and pompous. I usually do the final presentation touches, with concept art, theme, and font near the end of each round before submission.
3. I would love to improve my write-up skills because while I can have good ideas, it's sometimes hard for me to get them in writing. It generally takes me 1-2 hours for a single section in a project, so hoping to improve that! That also goes back to my procrastination problem. I hope to work on my time management too!

I can't wait to have lots of fun with my fellow armchair imagineers! And @Pi on my Cake that is sincerely one of the best competition intros I've ever seen :D

AceAstro

1. Probably some recency bias but I would have to go with my final project for Manor of Mysteries. It took a lot to build a full park in 11 days, but I think it came across exactly how I pictured it.
  2. I think my strength is my writing. I can buffer out and fill out my thoughts fairly well in my mind.
  3. I definitely want to get better at my art. I definitely stepped it up recently with more maps, but just general art is something I want to do more of!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Alright, let's do this!

You can call me WaltWiz. I've been lurking around this neck of the woods for a good long while, including following along with many of the games that were played in years (and months) past, and took part in the previous episode of the One Sentence Competition over the last few months.
1. I'm especially proud of the Dream Resort I spent more than a year planning out. While I've done a bit of armchair Imagineering outside of these forums before, that exercise was instrumental to giving me enough confidence to join your ranks.
2. I am talented at drawing, writing, and thinking outside the box.
3. I wouldn't mind brushing up on all three of those
I'm in, 900%! I can even provide 🍊citrus tree ownership credentials 🍊if you want.

1. I'm proudest of my work in What If...?'s Prompt 3 project, where Team Cassie did a trip report of sorts. It was just so genius, funny, and creative that I sometimes sit back and read our project all over again!
2. I'm best at Presentations because I can make a plain project spiffy and pompous. I usually do the final presentation touches, with concept art, theme, and font near the end of each round before submission.
3. I would love to improve my write-up skills because while I can have good ideas, it's sometimes hard for me to get them in writing. It generally takes me 1-2 hours for a single section in a project, so hoping to improve that! That also goes back to my procrastination problem. I hope to work on my time management too!

I can't wait to have lots of fun with my fellow armchair imagineers! And @Pi on my Cake that is sincerely one of the best competition intros I've ever seen :D
  1. Probably some recency bias but I would have to go with my final project for Manor of Mysteries. It took a lot to build a full park in 11 days, but I think it came across exactly how I pictured it.
  2. I think my strength is my writing. I can buffer out and fill out my thoughts fairly well in my mind.
  3. I definitely want to get better at my art. I definitely stepped it up recently with more maps, but just general art is something I want to do more of!
Welcome to the Jungle Cruise, we've got fun and games.
We've got everything you want, like fruit puns that are kinda lame!

I am legitimately so excited that someone here has a citrus tree lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom