mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
from the Orlando Sentinel

Jim Ellis
The Associated Press

January 23, 2007, 1:27 PM EST

Flight attendants often deal with obnoxious passengers who won't listen to instructions by kicking them off the plane. But a Massachusetts couple think AirTran Airways went overboard by treating their crying 3-year-old daughter in much the same way.

Julie and Gerry Kulesza and daughter Elly were removed from the flight when the girl refused to take her seat before takeoff, airline officials said today. But her parents said they just needed a little more time to calm her down.

The Kuleszas planned to fly home to Boston on Jan. 14 from Fort Myers after a four-day visit with the girl's paternal grandparents. She was removed because "she was climbing under the seat and hitting the parents and wouldn't get in her seat" during boarding, AirTran spokeswoman Judy Graham-Weaver said.

AirTran officials say they were only following Federal Aviation Administration rules that children age 2 and above must have their own seat and be wearing a seatbelt upon takeoff.

"The flight was already delayed 15 minutes and in fairness to the other 112 passengers on the plane, the crew made an operational decision to remove the family," Graham-Weaver said.

But Julie Kulesza said: "We weren't given an opportunity to hold her, console her or anything."

"Elly was sitting in front of our seat crying," she said in a phone interview. "The attendant motioned to a seat and asked if we purchased it for her."

They had paid for the seat. Gerry Kulesza said another attendant then approached the family and told him: "You need to get her in control and in her seat."

The couple told the attendants they were trying. Julie Kulesza said she asked the attendants if Elly could sit on her lap, but they said no.

The family flew home the next day.

The Orlando-based carrier reimbursed the family $595.80, the cost of the three tickets, and offered them three roundtrip tickets anywhere the airline flies, Graham-Weaver said.

But that's too little, too late for the Kuleszas. The father said they would never fly AirTran again.

tigsmom

Sorry to say, but it sounds fair to me. The child should have been put in her seat and her belt buckled as soon as they boarded. Sounds like the crew followed the rules. *shrugs*

tigsmom

Me too until I read that they refunded their fare and offered them three tickets. That only reinforces the child's behavior.

I wouldn't have refunded the money, just booked them on a different flight, but I guess they were trying to made a bad situation a little more tolerable.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Sorry to say, but it sounds fair to me. The child should have been put in her seat and her belt buckled as soon as they boarded. Sounds like the crew followed the rules. *shrugs*

Totally agree with you there. The child was creating an unsafe situation for herself and causing an inconvenience for the other passengers. Since her parents were unable to contain her the only option is to leave. If it were me I probably wouldn't have been thrilled with needing to leave the plane (and therefore disrupting all other travel arrangements) but I can see the airline's point of view. Then again, I doubt things would have escalated to the point where my travel party was being asked to deplane. :shrug:

Nemo14

I wouldn't have refunded the money, just booked them on a different flight, but I guess they were trying to made a bad situation a little more tolerable.
I'm sure they wanted to avoid any bad publicity, so it was woirth it to them to do that, even though it was not deserved.

TTATraveler

I don't think Air Tran went to far at all. If the child is not sitting in the seat buckled up and is creating a disturbance, the family should be removed from the plane. If the parents cannot control their child, why should everybody else on the plane have to suffer and wait on the ground until the child calms down. I think the parents should have exercised better control in having the child buckled in as soon as they sat down.

The refund of the fare was probably to "hush" the family

barnum42

Me likee this airline. If parent can't control their brat whey should all the other passengers suffer the annoyance of a disturbance on the flight or the missing of connecting flights why said parents continue to prove their ineptitude.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Its the other 112 I feel sorry for - imagine having to put up with that and being delayed.

I wonder where they stand if they now ask for a full refund and a free return flights for their inconvenience

tigsmom

Uodate from today's Sentinal...

AirTran defends decision to take family off flight

Christopher Boyd
Sentinel Staff Writer

January 24, 2007

Airlines operate on tight schedules, and AirTran Airways said its decision to remove a distraught 3-year-old girl and her parents from a plane this month was all about staying on time.

After the family boarded an AirTran plane in Fort Myers on Jan. 14 for a flight to Boston, the child became temperamental and refused to take her seat. Federal regulations require that any child older than 2 must sit in a seat secured with a seat belt.

"Children can't sit on a parent's lap," said Judy Graham-Weaver, spokeswoman for the Orlando-based airline. "It's a safety issue."

The parents, crew and other passengers weren't able to console the crying girl, forcing a 15-minute delay. Graham-Weaver said the crew decided to remove the family from the plane rather than continue waiting for the child to calm down.

"We have an obligation to the other passengers to move the plane," Graham-Weaver said.

Julie and Gerry Kulesza, the parents, and daughter Elly flew home the next day.

In addition to reimbursing them nearly $600 for the cost of the three tickets, the airline offered the family three round-trip tickets to anywhere it flies.

The Kuleszas, who told their story on national television, said they didn't think they were treated fairly and said they wouldn't fly on the airline again.

"We weren't given the opportunity to hold her, console her or anything," Judy Kulesza said.

AirTran seeks airline's shareholders list. Page B3 Copyright © 2007, Orlando Sentinel

SpongeScott

Uodate from today's Sentinal...

AirTran defends decision to take family off flight
"We weren't given the opportunity to hold her, console her or anything," Judy Kulesza said.
:confused: What? She was on the floor. Bend down, pick her up, swat her on the behind, set her in her seat, buckle her in. It's not rocket science.

maelstrom

"Boo-hoo, I can't control my child and we got kicked off the plane."

This should serve as a wakeup call to all parents of obnoxious and unruly children. If your kid isn't going to follow the rules, there are consequences, just like for everyone else. And what is with the bit about holding and consoling? That kid needed a swat across the butt and to be put in the seat and buckled in. Hey mom and dad, you're in charge, not your kid!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom