Checking In At The Hotel

chrisdadrocks

Ok I have yet another question that might seem obvious, but first let me say thank you to all who gave me the rental car advise (going to keep my car). So I arrive at MCO at 11:30 AM i figure it will take an hour for luggage and getting my car at thrifty its off site so I have never done that before. My best estimate is arriving at ASM between 1 and 2. What is the chance of my room being ready at this point? I used to work at a hotel so I figure that it is a good chance. Also, anychance of the rooms being oversold and getting a free upgrade to a moderate. I relize that the chances of that is like it snowing in florida. Anyone ever hear of that happening? I thought I read it in the forums once but can not find it anymore. Thanks again everyone :) Only 10 more days!!

disneygirl1024

When we were there back in June, we arrived at MCO at about 11 and arrived at the hotel about noon. To our surprise, our room was ready. That was awesome. As far as the room upgrade, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Upvote 0

crazydaveh

It's hit or miss with early check in. We have had a lot of luck with it, but at the same time, we've had no luck and have had to wait until after 7pm once (WDW hooked us up to make it up for it) so you never know.

If your room isn't ready, you can still store your luggage and hit the parks, pool, other resorts, or bar! If it is, you can do the same thing!

Have fun, good luck!

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

Somebodys room has to be prepared first and somebodys room has to be prepared last.................... it all depends on where your room is and in which order they're done :shrug:

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Overbook upgrades don't happen often, but it's hit and miss. If you ask, they'll gladly upgrade for a price.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The chances of your room being ready are pretty slim. I have had over 60 resort stays primarily during value season with no special requests and can count the number of times that my room was ready before 3 on one hand. You chance of an upgrade from a value to a moderate is even slimmer. Typically something unexpected will have to happen such as a large number of rooms taken out of service or a major booking snafu. Again I have had over 60 resort stays and while I have received free upgrades at the resort (ie standard to preferred room) I have never been bumped up a resort category. When it comes to free upgrades if you ask and it is available by policy you will be charged for the upgrade. Free upgrades are only given due to operational needs of the resort. The best piece of advice I can give is to simply be nice to the CM as if there is a free upgrade available it is up to there discretion as to who gets it.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

The chances of your room being ready are pretty slim. I have had over 60 resort stays primarily during value season with no special requests and can count the number of times that my room was ready before 3 on one hand.

Wow. I've had the opposite experience; in the last 11 years, with at least 1 trip per year, sometimes as many as 3 trips per year, we've only every had to wait for our rooms once, and that was when we were part of a grand gathering and they wanted to put us all together. We usually arrive before noon.

We usually make at least 1 request for our room location.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Wow. I've had the opposite experience; in the last 11 years, with at least 1 trip per year, sometimes as many as 3 trips per year, we've only every had to wait for our rooms once, and that was when we were part of a grand gathering and they wanted to put us all together. We usually arrive before noon.

We usually make at least 1 request for our room location.
It just never seems to happen that way for us. Part of it I know is because we typically arrive pretty early but even on the few trips that we arrived later our room is still never ready. It is never a big deal as 9 times out of 10 the only reason we are checking in is to get our parking pass and hit the parks.

I guess there must be a black spot on my account with Disney.:lol:

Upvote 0

Tiggerfanatic

2 years ago, we checked in at noon @ CBR - I made a request for a room near a bus stop, so had to hit the parks and call back after 3PM to get our room number; otherwise, I got the impression from the CM that a room would have been available at check-in. It was no big deal - we just let them hold our carry-ons and headed out.

Last year, booked a MK view tower room at the Contemporary (my 1st time ever staying there), and it was ready when we checked in around 1PM. I'm hoping we get a repeat experience this year, but it's really not that important, since our luggage won't be there anyway. It was just so exciting to catch that first glimpse of the castle from our balconey!!

Upvote 0

Tinkerbella16

I guess the later in the afternoon, the more of a chance your room will be ready. We usually arrive to the resort early, around 10:30-11, and we are used to our room not being ready...so we don't expect it to be. This year our flight lands in MCO at 2pm, so we won't get to POFQ until 3:30...but I still won't expect the room to be ready. We already have plans to check-in and head straight to Epcot...if its ready then we'll check out the room, if not then we'll come back after Epcot and unpack. It usually doesnt matter to me because our bags won't get there for a few hours after anyways...but you'll have your own car so that is different.

Upvote 0

aurora1982

Even if your room is not ready, it is possible to check in and leave your luggage. They will give you a number to call to find out your room number, and you can go straight to your room when you're done elsewhere, where your luggage will be waiting for you.

Upvote 0

mickeyfan1973

It's definitely hit and miss with room readiness. They have no obligation to have your room ready prior to check in time, however, I have been there on many occasions where our room has been ready early. If it is not ready, they hand you a card with a number to call (you can use any resort phone or a cell phone) and you can follow the directions on the phone call to get your room #. They generally give you your keys when you arrive so you don't have to go back to the desk and you can start using them for charging, etc. they will just activate the room access as soon as the room is ready for you.

Upvote 0

ypcat

This past weekend, we arrived at Pop a little after 10. At check-in they told us our room was ready, but they had assigned us to the 50's. Our other 2 stays at Pop were in the 50s, and we had requested a building in the 90s. The CM was able to find another room that was ready in the 60s (free upgrade to preferred). Maybe they just weren't that busy or we just got lucky. Usually, we arrive later in the day. Never have had to wait for a room though.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

For me it runs about 50/50 on early check in.

Most of the time when I am on vacation I get in very early. 10-11 AM. I have had a room ready at that time, and I have had rooms ready in 20-30 minutes. This has happend at a load of places. POP, CBR, SSR, BCV, and PO:R off the top of my head.

Other times I have had to wait 2 hours for a room. When I am extending a business trip, I get in later. I got to Boardwalk once at around 5:00 and had to wait an hour and a half.

You also have a better shot of getting in early if you put less "requests" in on you room - king bed, near bus, ground floor, etc.

-dave

Upvote 0

shmmrname

We've had about a 50/50 split as far as pre-3 PM room readiness goes. Mind you, we try to take one trip a year, but we've had to skip a year here and there.
On our last trip, the AKL room was ready before 3 PM, we could walk right to it after check-in. I was carrying all of our bags, and we tend to overpack, so the CM might have just felt bad for me. But, we never said anything, and if she said we'd have to wait, we planned on just hanging out around the pool or browsing around the lobby/outside.
Prior to that, we had a trip to PO:FQ that we arrived an hour or two early, but the room wasn't ready until just after 3 PM. We ended up leaving our bags in our car and just walked around waiting for the phone call that said we could go up to our room.
Good luck. As long as your bags are safe, I'm sure you'll find something to do if you have to wait around a bit. It is WDW afterall.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom