Character dining

ajmellu7

Original Poster
Hi guys, we are coming over August next year and have got the dining plan. We think we have worked it out correctly that we can do a character meal everyday and wondered what people have thought in terms of times to go and days that are quiet (though I know with disney it is always busy) we are staying in old key west from Thursday to Thursday and can't wait. Is a year, a week and 2 days away!!!! Also, what are the character dining meals like and what have you enjoyed?!?! My daughters will be 4 and 2 when we come, seriously can't wait. Thanks in advance for any help/tips

belledream

Generally, MK is crowded on the weekends, but that shouldn't stop you from getting what you want! I would dine for breakfast before/at park opening, and eat dinners on the earlier side(5pm, as opposed to 7 - when restaurants get more crowded).

As for specific restaurants on the dining plan, I would suggest Akershus Royal Banquet Hall to meet princesses. If you can afford it/want to spend two credits on Cinderella's Royal Table, that would probably take the cake.

Other character dining that I have enjoyed was Crystal Palace (Pooh & friends), Chef Mickey's (Mickey & Co.), and Garden Grill (Farmer Mickey, Chip & Dale, etc.).

Tusker House is a little bit more 'exotic', and Cape May is wonderful for dinner, but they only have characters at Breakfast.

There are many options! And don't forgot about good ol' regular table service with great atmospheres like Coral Reef and Be Our Guest.

tlev

I have an 8 year old daughter. We've been doing character meals since she was 2. Her tastes have changed now, but when she was the age of your daughters Hollywood and Vine (breakfast) and Crystal Palace were a must. We've been to Cinderella's Royal Table for lunch and dinner several times and we love that as well. We also visit Akershus every trip and prefer breakfast. Another favorite of ours is Tusker House. This October we are trying Ohana for breakfast for the first time. We have heard very good things about it. Oh and I almost forgot about Garden Grill. We love it as well!!!

gooftroop5

I would have to agree with many of the places already mentioned. We let our kids each pick a character meal for each trip and it always is Crystal Palace, Tusker House, and Akershus. We did Chef Mickey's once and it was just ok. Want to try Ohana as well and my little princess wants to try 1900 Park Fare next trip for dinner to see Cindy.

ajmellu7

Original Poster
Thanks guys, that's brilliant. We have done crystal palace twice before, both times for breakfast, so we're thinking lunch this time. Akershus sounds great, my daughters will be in heaven! Just hope there is food that we like!

Character meals are great because you don't have to waste time at M&Gs but I think one character meal a day might be too much because the food is not that good and there are a lot of great restaurants in WDW with great theming that your kids would enjoy.

PrincessNelly_NJ

The food isn't anything special. I think one a day isn't needed. As long as you hit one princess meal and a meal with the fab five, I think you should be fine. I would take advantage of other restaurants.

LWB

My girls have been to most of the character meals - definitely hit Akershus! As much as we love Cinderella's Royal Table, a lot of people prefer Akershus because you see almost the same line-up of princesses but it is a significantly lower price. (If you do go to Akershus, make sure you look over the menu before consider going there for any time other than breakfast.)
We have loved 1900 Park Fare for breakfast and dinner as well- different group of characters but also still very girly.
I would suggest dining before park opening - less stressful!

CheshireCat12

Which character meals have the best food AND the best character interactions? I'm not looking for one or the other, it has to meet both criteria. Adult party. Anything but Disney Jr.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Which character meals have the best food AND the best character interactions? I'm not looking for one or the other, it has to meet both criteria. Adult party. Anything but Disney Jr.
That tough... Really not going to get both... character meals are pretty basic compared to other places. But if I had to pick food wise:
1. Tusker House (any meal)
2. Garden Grill (dinner)
3. Akershus Royal Banquet Hall (Breakfast)
4. Cape May Cafe (Breakfast)
5. Crystal Palace (Breakfast)

PrincessNelly_NJ

I would recommend Be Our Guest, it isn't a character meal but after dinner you get to meet the Beast in his study. (dinner only, not lunch)
It looks straight out of the movie.
BeOurGuestRestaurant-3-600x397.jpg
be-our-guest-restaurant-M.jpg
Be-Our-Guest-Lobby.jpg

ajmellu7

Original Poster
Am going to ask a very silly question here I think, but how can I dine in the parks before the parks are open?

Amyleigh

You are allowed in the parks before opening with a dining reservation. We did that twice and it's the best idea, in my opinion. Not only did we get great pictures with no one around, we got to line up for the rides early and we rode 5 rides in the first hour!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom