Changes to the Great Movie Ride, What would you do?

Yodadudeman

Heres an idea. What if you replaced the movies in there with classic Disney movies? I know that everyone likes movies like Alien and The Wizard of Oz, myself included, but this is DISNEY Hollywood Studios now. Not MGM Studios. It could be fun to take a trip through the classic films of Disney past. Thoughts?

Beholder

History? Classic film? A genre defining movie? Nosferatu. Put him where Tarzan is now. I love Tarzan, but Max Schreck as Count Orlok would transcend time and generations. The gothic sets would definitely create a very creepy atmosphere. Plus the silent area gets some serious love.

Newer movies? That's a lot tougher for me. Recent movies (80's on) don't have that timeless feel. Some do, but for me, most don't reflect or conjure up the "mythic" Hollywood. Spielberg has that touch, but he's taken. LOTR needs it's own park. Too bad they gave up on Narnia, that could've been nice. I'll have to think about this one...

Beholder

I
Heres an idea. What if you replaced the movies in there with classic Disney movies? I know that everyone likes movies like Alien and The Wizard of Oz, myself included, but this is DISNEY Hollywood Studios now. Not MGM Studios. It could be fun to take a trip through the classic films of Disney past. Thoughts?

I would love to see Disney history of traditional animation get it's own ride. So many works are largely ignored (Fox and the Hound, Great Mouse Detective, Rescuers, etc.) and it would make an amazing attraction. At least I think so.

Yodadudeman

I

I would love to see Disney history of traditional animation get it's own ride. So many works are largely ignored (Fox and the Hound, Great Mouse Detective, Rescuers, etc.) and it would make an amazing attraction. At least I think so.
Agreed. This is exactly what I had in mind. It would be a brilliant re-imagining of a classic attraction.

Beholder

Agreed. This is exactly what I had in mind. It would be a brilliant re-imagining of a classic attraction.

It seems like such an obvious thing to create, I've always wondered why they haven't done this? They could even do a version with all of the unused (20,000 leagues, Pete's Dragon, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, etc.) live action movies. Who knows, exposing a new generation of people to all this "new" old stuff may inspire some of them to purchase the DVD's. And that's what Disney wants to hear...

Yodadudeman

It seems like such an obvious thing to create, I've always wondered why they haven't done this? They could even do a version with all of the unused (20,000 leagues, Pete's Dragon, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, etc.) live action movies. Who knows, exposing a new generation of people to all this "new" old stuff may inspire some of them to purchase the DVD's. And that's what Disney wants to hear...
Exactly! You could mix in the classic live action and cartoon Disney films to make the attraction even better. I'm sure your right. Exposure to these older films certainly couldn't hurt sales, and if the ride is well made, it won't hurt attendance numbers either. Seems like a win-win if they ever made the leap.

Beholder

I
Exactly! You could mix in the classic live action and cartoon Disney films to make the attraction even better. I'm sure your right. Exposure to these older films certainly couldn't hurt sales, and if the ride is well made, it won't hurt attendance numbers either. Seems like a win-win if they ever made the leap.[/quote

I'm sure there are many, many people who go to Disney who aren't aware of 70% of Disney's movie history. Sometimes I don't think Disney is aware of Disney's history. Such potential.

Scuttle

Change the ending video!! The fact that three men and a baby and sister act are in the same video montage as wizard of oz and Casablanca is beyond me.

ZaneB

I think that it should still represent some classic movies but only those that are very memorable to adults (Casablanca, Singing in the rain etc.)

But guys we have to face the facts here, even though some people love the classic movie theme, as time goes on less and less people are going to recognize the movies that are presented. It is a great attraction and if Disney doesn't change it soon it's going to die!

On my last trip I really tried to pay attention on the ride and take notes in my head. It has always been the first thing I do in DHS and one of my favorite attractions. I realized on the ride that the parts I enjoyed the most were when they were movies I recognized!

It is my dream to be an imagineer and if I had the chance to change the ride these are the movies I would put in or leave:

- Casablanca
-Wizard of Oz
- Singing in the rain
- Mary Poppins
- Steamboat Willie
- Alien
- Star Wars
- Indiana Jones
- Titanic
- The Dark Knight
- Forrest Gump

These would go through from oldest to newest and your guide would tell you how they changed movie history. The ending would be updated an represented on a circle vision screen while your vehicle rotates.

:D :D :D

vinnya1726

like i said a million times, it should be about the breakthroughs in film and the classics, so...

Steamboat Willie
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
A Trip To The Moon
Toy Story
maybe Beauty and the Beast, Lion King or Little Mermaid
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
West Side Story
Indiana Jones
Star Wars
Titanic
something with horror film like Alfred Hitchcock movies, Halloween, or Scream
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (have a scene with the White Witch)
Casablanca
What A Wonderful Life
The Wizard of Oz

the list is long, but there can be some trial and error here :cool:

That is a great list

vinnya1726

Exactly what I was thinking...Disney Classics both Animated and live action...would make a great ride and would fit better in Disney's Hollywood Studios

DisneyJunkie

I would probably get rid of a few scenes (i.e. Tarzan) and add others like Titanic, The Matrix, and something with Batman/Spiderman (highlighting the rise of comic book films).

pumpkin7

i don't think i'd change much at all. i'd get the water fountain working again with the foot light parade (is that what they are called??) and get the alien scene working properly again too, with a new ripley animatronic. unfortunately the one they have now looks nothing ike signourney weaver.
i'd probably scrap the tarzan section too and put another movie in there (which one i don't know).

i also read that the Fantasia section was originally planned to be the tornado from the wizard of oz, but as the wizard of oz scene was running too long (as it already had 2 sections to itself) they decided not to put it in and made it into Fantasia instead.
also, as far as i know, the Wicked Witch of the West is one of the oldest animatronics on site.

copcarguyp71

-Shrink down the Wizard of Oz scene to make room for another representation
-Present a movie with CGI in it
-Present a movie made after the 1980's
-Re-do the final movie presentation adding up to date movies to the classics
-Make the existing movies presented a little better (I know the imagineers can do better than Tarzan swinging back and forth!)

All that being said we still do this ride every trip and enjoy it but I know they could make it MORE enjoyable with a little infusion of effort.

joanna71985

None. GMR is fine with the scenes it has. The only changes I would make would be to fix up the AAs and update the movie in Finale.

Clever Name

The GMR needs more movie musicals. Rap and Hip-Hop movies with Tupac, Ice Cube and Eminem would provide a nice change of pace.

Clever Name

Hahahaha....wait, you were joking right?
You're right. The artists that I mentioned are really just the tip of the iceburg. To do justice to the far reaching depths and popularity of the world wide Hip-Hop movie musical phenomenon, they'd need to include Lil Wayne, Kanye West, Jay Z, Snoop Dogg and Ghostface Killa just to make a small impact upon its overall importance in the movie world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom