Celiacs: Talk to me about Gluten Free dining in WDW.

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
Forgive me if this is already a thread somewhere...

I haven't been in 10 years.

I was diagnosed with Celiac over 3 years ago. I'm wondering what the experience is like with eating in WDW with food allergies. Is the food GOOD? Does it take longer to prepare? I'm SURE it's more expensive...

Just curious!

Thanks!

bsmartin2000

We took my Grandson, age 6, who is allergic to Wheat and Beef. He had a great experience at Ohana- the chef came out and fixed him exactly what he wanted plus they had rolls for him! Pop Century treated him very well and the Chef there fixed him pizza and mac and cheese. The only bad experience we had was at Rose and Crown where they brought him out 6 (yes we counted them) french fries. When we asked for more they charged us for them. All in all Disney is great with allergies in our experience. I have heard that they will make Gluten free for the same price that is on the menu.We have always used the Dining plan so have not paid attention to the price. Heading back in April so I will post more then.

Klpalmer

I've been to Disney world 5+ times while gluten free. Every restaurant has great options, every table service and counter service has gluten free options that go as far to include gluten free bread and even some gluten free fried foods. They also all have some form of gluten free dessert. In my experience which might just be due to the items I am fond of ordering they are almost always the same price. Have you looked into any specific restaurants?

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
We took my Grandson, age 6, who is allergic to Wheat and Beef. He had a great experience at Ohana- the chef came out and fixed him exactly what he wanted plus they had rolls for him! Pop Century treated him very well and the Chef there fixed him pizza and mac and cheese. The only bad experience we had was at Rose and Crown where they brought him out 6 (yes we counted them) french fries. When we asked for more they charged us for them. All in all Disney is great with allergies in our experience. I have heard that they will make Gluten free for the same price that is on the menu.We have always used the Dining plan so have not paid attention to the price. Heading back in April so I will post more then.

WOW! They charged you for more than 6 fries? That's ridiculous!!

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
I've been to Disney world 5+ times while gluten free. Every restaurant has great options, every table service and counter service has gluten free options that go as far to include gluten free bread and even some gluten free fried foods. They also all have some form of gluten free dessert. In my experience which might just be due to the items I am fond of ordering they are almost always the same price. Have you looked into any specific restaurants?
Great to hear!
Actually, no. I haven't been in 10 years, so I don't even know what there is any more! My mom (who goes 2x a year) is doing all the planning. Once our ADR's are set, i'll look more specifically.

dreamfinder

Check out http://www.glutenfreedairyfreewdw.com/ along with https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/special-dietary-requests/. The food should be the same cost in most instances. Things like prepackaged GF cookies/brownies that some locations sell may cost more, but those items cost more in the stores. CS can be rough, not all locations are setup for GF or have GF options, but many do. Ask to speak with the manager or to see the "book" (each location has a binder of all ingredients used for each dish). You may have to wait for your food while a line cook changes stations, gets clean gear, etc as they typically don't have GF food sitting under the heat lights like they do other meals. TS locations should always work with you, simply have them note "Allergy" on your reservation, and the chef will come out and talk with you. At a buffet, they will walk you through the line and explain what is and is not safe. A normal restaurant they should explain your options, which may or may not be on the menu.

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
Check out http://www.glutenfreedairyfreewdw.com/ along with https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/special-dietary-requests/. The food should be the same cost in most instances. Things like prepackaged GF cookies/brownies that some locations sell may cost more, but those items cost more in the stores. CS can be rough, not all locations are setup for GF or have GF options, but many do. Ask to speak with the manager or to see the "book" (each location has a binder of all ingredients used for each dish). You may have to wait for your food while a line cook changes stations, gets clean gear, etc as they typically don't have GF food sitting under the heat lights like they do other meals. TS locations should always work with you, simply have them note "Allergy" on your reservation, and the chef will come out and talk with you. At a buffet, they will walk you through the line and explain what is and is not safe. A normal restaurant they should explain your options, which may or may not be on the menu.

THIS IS WONDERFUL! Thank you!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom