Celebration

BonzoAPD

Original Poster
Anyone have info on Celebration, FL? Is it a nice place to live? What are some benefits to living there? What are some downfalls? Thanks for the info.

rmforney

BonzoAPD said:
Anyone have info on Celebration, FL? Is it a nice place to live? What are some benefits to living there? What are some downfalls? Thanks for the info.

I live right in the same area. I love Celebration and my wife and I are looking at one of the town-homes there right now. It’s a nice little town, the restaurants and shops are great and its right next to WDW, what more could you want?:)

The downside is, it’s off of State Road 192, which has horrendous traffic and construction. You don’t really deal with any of it until you leave. There is no noise from it(Celebration sits back away from 192), but getting out in the morning is tough. Likewise, you are about 30-45min from Orlando proper, and that’s if traffic’s good—and it rarely is. I drive to Tampa 4x a week and its physically a longer distance, but takes me less time than getting to Winter Park and Maitland(North Orlando). I don’t know what your financial situation is, but the cost of living is a little higher than the rest of Greater Orlando, which is climbing rapidly too. Likewise, they have gotten rid of most of the apartments to turn them into condos. So renting is harder and harder.

Hope that helps. :animwink: I’m sure you’ve seen this, but just in case:

http://www.celebrationfl.com/

NadieMasK2

My best friend has a second home there. I have stayed in it. Celebration is a very nice place to be. Homes are appreciating in value like gangbusters! Only problem is it is very expensive. They had a 2 bedroom townhome that was purchased about a year ago. They just sold it for a $165,000 profit! They are upgrading to a bigger place.

Celebration is very safe due to it's own police department that very closely watch things. This gives me a little peace of mind since the crime rate is very high in the Orlando area.

To me, there is still the sense that you have to "be somebody" to live in Celebration. Most of the people there are rather wealthy, and it seems the town gossip is full blown. Still, I think it's a cool place to be. :)

rmforney

NadieMasK2 said:
Celebration is very safe due to it's own police department that very closely watch things. This gives me a little peace of mind since the crime rate is very high in the Orlando area.

To me, there is still the sense that you have to "be somebody" to live in Celebration. Most of the people there are rather wealthy, and it seems the town gossip is full blown. Still, I think it's a cool place to be. :)

Crime rate in Orlando is really pretty low. I may be mistaken but I've lived here for years and its comparatively low, especially for a city its size. You may have heard different but I’ll get the census and see. Now you are right on the money with the town gossip. If you’re familiar with the “Jezebel Syndrome” then you’ve really hit it on the head… :hammer:

rmforney

Crime Rate...

Well, who knew? Just to follow up on my above post:
Relocation Crime Lab Index gives Olando a higer than average crime rate. Crime: The number of violent crimes recorded by the FBI in 2003 was 3,322. The number of murders and homicides was 21. The violent crime rate was 16.8 per 1,000 people. The number of rapes was 13% lower than the national average, and most of the crime is from petty theft . Droping signifigantly in the last 10years. (I knew in 1992, we had a higher crime rate than Vegas.)
Orlando was named the nation's most dangerous metro area for pedestrians, in a 2004 study by the Surface Transportation Policy Project. (Yeah, we’re number 1!!!—kidding.) I know why this is true. I cant tell you how many times I’ve watched people walk out in front of cars on International Drive or SR192.

SO I guess, NadieMasK2 was pretty close. Though I wish you weren't... :confused:

NadieMasK2

Well, I live in a suburb of Indianapolis with a very low crime rate, so even if it's just slightly above average that would seem like a big jump to me. :)

I have psychologically messed myself up by getting hooked on one of those criminal profiler shows (can't remember the name but it stars a woman and it's either on A&E or Court TV). It is based out of cases from Orlando.

I don't know why I watch that stuff, it just makes me nervous. But it is kind of addicting!

Becky

. Celebration is very safe due to it's own police department that very closely watch things. This gives me a little peace of mind since the crime rate is very high in the Orlando area. :)[/QUOTE said:
Crime in Orlando (2002):
15 murders (7.7 per 100,000)
121 rapes (62.2 per 100,000)
1,034 robberies (531.7 per 100,000)
2,449 assaults (1259.4 per 100,000)
3,710 burglaries (1907.9 per 100,000)
11,602 larceny counts (5966.4 per 100,000)
2,202 auto thefts (1132.4 per 100,000)
City-data.com crime index = 948.3 (higher means more crime, US average = 330.6)

Crime in Orlando (2001):
15 murders (7.9 per 100,000)
135 rapes (70.8 per 100,000)
1,086 robberies (569.3 per 100,000)
2,449 assaults (1283.8 per 100,000)
3,529 burglaries (1849.9 per 100,000)
12,842 larceny counts (6731.7 per 100,000)
2,307 auto thefts (1209.3 per 100,000)
City-data.com crime index = 984.1 (higher means more crime)

WDWScottieBoy

Realize that it says Orlando and not Celebration. That's like looking at any major city and saying the suburbs have the same crime rate. It just doesn't work that way.

To give you an idea about Celebration, there has never been a murder in town, but go outside the city limits....well, you just wouldn't want to leave Celebration city limits.

Celebration is about as perfect as it gets and as close to a utopian city as ever. I'm actually moving there in less than 2 months and wouldn't ever think about living elsewhere.

fillerup

Yes - Celebration is a wonderful place to live.

Perfect? Utopian? I do wish that were anywhere close to true. Scale your expectations back a bit Scottie, or you're apt to be disappointed.

Low crime? Sure - the bad guys know that virtually every home in town is alarmed. All in all, it's a pretty safe place to be, to walk the neighborhoods in the evenings.

There's no Celebration Police Dept - some private security driving around here and there and one full time Osceola Cty Deputy sherriff assigned here, more as needed.

There are also no "city limits" - Celebration isn't an incorporated city or town. Most accurately, I suppose, it's a subdivision.

And you can't live a life here insulated from the outside. Too many of life's necessities are only available elsewhere.

WDWScottieBoy

Two of my best friends live in Celebration and I'm moving there in August. I've been there several times for quite a while and love it there. I'd still rather be nowhere else.

I know exactly what I'm getting myself into and know what to expect and what not to. I've been reading the Celebration newspaper for several months now, and post regularly on a Celebration forum.

Yes, the town isn't incorporated, but they're really trying to get it that way.

There may be no police department for Celebration, but I still see it as one of the safest places to live in the US.

Once Goodings(?) opens in Celebration, there really should be no need to go anywhere outside of town, unless you just go up World Drive to get to WDW.

WDWScottieBoy

Just got off the phone with my realtor.

Siena Celebration (one of the places I'm looking at moving to) is having some great incentives to buy before the end of the month:

Condo fee paid for a year (180.05/month)
Celebration fee paid for a year (~$750)
Home Warranty for a year (~$350)

That comes out to appx. $3500 to buy now.

Also, I've heard that if you buy a condo or garden home, Celebration will give you a 2 door NEV, and if you buy anything bigger they will buy you a 4 door NEV.

jiddng

WDWScottieBoy said:
Just got off the phone with my realtor.

Siena Celebration (one of the places I'm looking at moving to) is having some great incentives to buy before the end of the month:

Condo fee paid for a year (180.05/month)
Celebration fee paid for a year (~$750)
Home Warranty for a year (~$350)

That comes out to appx. $3500 to buy now.

Also, I've heard that if you buy a condo or garden home, Celebration will give you a 2 door NEV, and if you buy anything bigger they will buy you a 4 door NEV.
We bought a condo in Celebration 2 years ago for our future retirement - we didn't get a NEV.

We love it when we're here. The only thing I could ever complain about, and I know it's temporary, is the roar of the construction trucks rumbling thru town, headed to Artisan Park.

Siena Celebration, I believe, is a conversion from former apts. to condos.

Good luck!

WDWScottieBoy

You are correct about Siena. Basically everything that's condo in Celebration is a conversion, except for Artisan Park. And don't worry, it's almost done. And as soon as AP is built, Carlysle is building their new complex.

The NEV thing was a promotion for a little bit, as it would've been pretty costly over the months (if not weeks).

Five/Six more days and I should have a place there. *crosses fingers*

jiddng

WDWScottieBoy said:
You are correct about Siena. Basically everything that's condo in Celebration is a conversion, except for Artisan Park. And don't worry, it's almost done. And as soon as AP is built, Carlysle is building their new complex.

The NEV thing was a promotion for a little bit, as it would've been pretty costly over the months (if not weeks).

Five/Six more days and I should have a place there. *crosses fingers*
No, I wouldn't say everything that's condo is a conversion. Ours is a Terrace condo, new construction (at the time). Oriole Homes built in 2 phases in South Village, then 1 in West Village, all new construction. It wasn't until after all the alloted land was bought up, that apt. conversions began.

I'm anxious to see how much of that parking lot will be taken over by Carlysle....

WDWScottieBoy

I'm interested in it as well. I actually think they overpriced it big time, but they had about 300 extra bids come in that wouldn't be able to buy for the first go-around. That just goes to show that real estate is almost a guaranteed positive investment for the town.

Now, they just need to be incorporated. I'm still not sure where I'm going to end up in town there, but I'll know by mid-next week! :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom