Celebration, FL

NashvilleMouse

Original Poster
Has anyone visited (or live) in Celebration Florida? They are building a community like that down here in Nashville. We are building a house in this community (Westhaven) and they use Celebration as an example of how things will be.
(westhaventn.com)

We are excited about living there with all the amenities. Does anyone have any pros or cons of how Celebration turned out?

Thanks!

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I lived there for a period of time, and while it was a nice place to live (quiet, safe, beautiful community), I would never live there again

ogryn

on the way to All-Star resort we took a wrong turn and ended up in Celebration.

Scariest..............Place............Ever......!!!!!!

prisoner

I have a friend living in Celebration currently, and we have friends who were looking at building there and ultimately didn't. We considered Celebration ourselves, but ultimately decided not to for other reasons. My wife studies architecture, so many of these comments were shaped by her education.

Both Celebration, and apparently Westhaven, were shaped by a planning movement called "New Urbanisim" which sought to re-create a community environment and reduce the impact of the car-culture that has developed in the suburbs. The basics of it are simple - make it easy to get to a city center and develop a sense of community around that center. Its not a new idea (Walt Disney was proposing something similar in EPCOT, and he was basing his work on even older proposals), but it has gotten attention since communities like Seaside, Florida used it with great success.

Advocates of New Urbanisim, however, largely try to forget Celebration, however. In their minds, Celebration made several mistakes:
  • Although the city core and surrounding residences were well planned, there are a lot of houses that are in Celebration, but not in walking distance to the town center. From the looks of the Westhaven master plan, they may be doing the same.
  • The city core is more for tourists (high end galleries, tourist retail shops, restaurants) and less for the residents (only one small food store (which I heard was closing and being replaced by a supermarket on the outskirts of town), no hardware store (at least last time I was there)).
  • Celebration rapidly outpriced itself and reduced its focus on the lower-end, affordable, mixed-use housing areas. I've even heard they're building a gated community inside Celebration - so much for being neighborly.

Celebration's school was also widely praised and widly criticized. Donating land for a school is common for planned communities, but I would still pay attention to development plans for the school if that ever happens.

Raven commented on the number of rules. I was actually surprised by how few rules there were. Celebration's regulations ran to 7 pages. A planned community I lived in in Houston ran to 63. I've also read that many of the rules were routinely ignored.

In the end, we decided against Celebration largley because of its location (we wanted to be near family in New York), but visiting it certainly shaped our thoughts about finding a community. We've lived in regularly planned communities, and probably wouldn't choose one again. On the other hand, we likely would try to find a town that tried to accomplish many of the same goals.

Good luck with the building!

(Great... my first post and I'm probably sounding like a flake. :lookaroun )

NashvilleMouse

Original Poster
:(

Gosh, thanks for the info. Hopefully it will not turn out quite that bad at Westhaven. The prices are quite lower than Celebration but everyone in the Franklin (Nashville) area is pretty excited about it so far. Since Nashville is not quite the tourist location as Orlando, we might not get the traffic you have noted Celebration gets.

Thanks again for the input, everyone.

figmentmom

I LOVE all things Disney, so I jumped at the chance to see Celebration. Anyone remember that old TV series (starring Patrick McGoohan) called "The Prisoner?" Celebration reminded me of it in a very scary way. Piped-in music as you walk down the sidewalks...theme park living without the crowds and fun...no thanks. That's just me, though.

mccaulej

I can't help but think "The Truman Show" everytime we go. It is a beautiful place, but I have heard some pretty interesting things about it. Not sure if I'd live there, but no ill will to those that already do. In fact, I know some but we won't name names:lol:

prisoner

Originally posted by mrmickeymouse
is it really that scary?

It depends what you're expecting and what you've experienced in the past.

We didn't find it that scary, but we had visited suburbs that were far more cookie-cutter than it was, and those always made us far more nervous. The architectural style is also very different than a lot of other communities, so it can be a surprise to see houses you normally associate with New England in a Florida community.

We visited during both the "autumn fall celebration" and the "winter celebration" and found both very eerie. In the former, they dropped colored pieces of paper in a "leaf fall" on the main street. In the latter, they did the same with a sudsy mixture that made it vaguely look like snow. The sudsball fights were interesting to watch.

The piped music never bothered us - but thats something you find in a lot of downtown communities and shopping malls, so its not exactly uncommon.

Much of the rest of it looks like a modern suburb with a lot of twists. There is more greenspace. You don't see garbage or utility trucks as much because there are separate roads for them (which may seem weird to us today, but used to be VERY common). The people are people, possibly with a few more Disney fans than elsewhere (which many people would consider scary, but I doubt people on this forum would. :lol: ). You'll see segways and electric vehicles (another The Prisoner reference), but mostly because there is insufficient parking downtown and the community encourages these forms of transport.

NashvilleMouse

Original Poster
I doubt Westhaven will be anything like Disney's Celebration in the sense of everything being like a prison. I noticed online that there are a lot of TNDs (Traditional Neighborhood Developments) going up around the country with Seaside and Celebration (yes, Celebration) as examples of concept.

I know TNDs are not for everyone, but a lot of people like these communities and think it is great to raise a family. Many people would rather have a few acres to live on with neighboor's a mile down the road.

I, myself, am very excited about Westhaven and living there. The architecture is geared more towards the era of Franklin that hosted the Civil War period and the brick homes in the downtown district.

mccaulej - What interesting things about Celebration?

mccaulej

Well, I've heard from people who have lived there and worked there, that it is an extremely stuffy atmosphere. You rarely see people out talking to their neighbors and enjoying each others company. These people have told me that many of the residents are very antisocial and that the neighborhood dynamic is not as it was originally intended. Now, these are all opinions of one or two people and I have never lived there, so I can't really say it for sure, but I have driven and walked around there quite a bit and have never really seen anyone out other than the people downtown. It's kinda scarey actually when you're driving through these neighborhoods and there is no one in sight. Kinda strange. Not even people out enjoying the Florida air on their porches. But, that's just what I've witnessed and heard.

Tim G

Originally posted by mccaulej
Well, I've heard from people who have lived there and worked there, that it is an extremely stuffy atmosphere. You rarely see people out talking to their neighbors and enjoying each others company. These people have told me that many of the residents are very antisocial and that the neighborhood dynamic is not as it was originally intended. Now, these are all opinions of one or two people and I have never lived there, so I can't really say it for sure, but I have driven and walked around there quite a bit and have never really seen anyone out other than the people downtown. It's kinda scarey actually when you're driving through these neighborhoods and there is no one in sight. Kinda strange. Not even people out enjoying the Florida air on their porches. But, that's just what I've witnessed and heard.

Huh??

Í agree, it's not the most crowded place in the world but you should check your sources better...

We live in East village since 1998

We're not anti social!!! (this is almost offending)
It's not stuffy...

All of us have a great community feeling and doing and are VERY social...
And it's a great place to come home to...
Don't believe everything you hear...

Tim G

Stuffy?

Attachments

• pic0010.jpg
    pic0010.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 229

NashvilleMouse

Original Poster
I have two theories on why it might not have turned out so great:

1) Price - Some of the smallest homes appear to be about $400 plus, which will not draw the socialites and the types of crowds a TND is meant for.

2) Location - Florida... the retirement hot spot. Celebration might look pretty attractive to a lot of retirees where the convenience of everything is walking distance. We don't always have a bunch of social butterflies with this demographic.

Then there is someone like me who hears "Disney's Celebration Florida Community" and is expecting something HUGE since everything from Disney is super-wonderful. Maybe the expectation was too high?

Maybe I am right, and maybe I am "wishing" too much because I will soon be living in a TND.

tiggerlover1971

When we went to Disney in October we decided to take a day off and explore We decided to go into celebration the center of town and look at the shops and have lunch We had a great lunch at Hermans Ice cream and sandwhich shop ( I think thats what it is called ) and it was one of the best lunches I had up there and reasonably priced and everyone was so friendly we had soup and which was corn chowder and Richard had the best catfish sandwhich he has had in a long time while I stuck with the burger and We shared an Ice cream sundae that was so yummy with banana pudding Ice cream I will love to go back again thats how good this place was

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom