**CELEBRATION 25 Complete and Total Coverage Thread!**

Disney_Freak429

Like I said on the other topic love the video. I really want a download of it.

As for a CD we could rip the audio from the video to make one.:lookaroun:lol:

SweetMagic

Oh Meyla Weyla
Jenn are you back? Your light is on :sohappy:

I've been waiting to hear how your whole trip went and how much you loved your Celebration!

elpack

It was nice to get to at least see everyone and match names with faces.. I wish I could have spent more time with the group though - but stuff came up and I was not able to. And I was fighting with a flat tire on my ECV - grrrr.

Anyway.. love the video of the Celebration 25 Singers..

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Hi folks...

Yes, i am back at home now after a week in the 'World and i have not yet had the chance to review all that has been posted in my absence. This thread here is the only one i have read entirely to date, my next stop will be the photo thread at some point.

Anyway...i needed to some time to think over what transpired over the past few days. I really had to step away for a short time and let it all sink in a little more to fully beleive what had just happened. Also i was quite physically drained from the intense humidity this time around and my feet were in bad shape. Wounds are on the heal now however...and i would go through it all again in a mintute! Today was my first day back on the job, and i have to say i am still so totally "On Property". I really really need to get a job down there....anyone need a roomie??

Okay...so before i get into my long overview of my personal experience regarding the Event, i first must once again convey my utmost sincere thanks to all that helped me to acheive this fantastic accomplishment. EPCOT Center was indeed granted a wonderful Anniversary in the end, and each and every one of us should take great pride in knowing that we were ALL responsible for it in some shape or form. Seeing the sheer masses of people decend upon the Park and the huge throng of people awaiting the Re-Dedication confirmed ( if any confirmation was needed) that EPCOT does indeed "mean something". It is hard to describe to a non "EPCOT-Geek" ...but i think one way of putting it is "nostalgic meaning" and having a personal connection to the Park ( by way of memories of the past). This is why the Park means so much to so many...much like how DisneyLand evokes that nostalgic warmth in people. To me, EPCOT evokes the same feeling....and it surely must for the thousands that were there this past weekend. The entire Oct 1st experience for me was just that: honoring that past but ALSO acknowledging the FUTURE....and i must say i have a VERY very good feeling about what we will be seeing in EPCOT's future.

Special thanks must go out to these folks:

Adam and his parents: Thank you all for your tireless work in helping to pull this Event off, and making it an even better Event then it might have been!

To Jason: Thanks for being my personal chauffer those wee early mornings...and for all your appreciated efforts in handling the fab Dessert Party!

To John: Seriously dude, you SO totally need to work for Disney officially and do their tours. You were freakin' AWESOME man...and i mean that! The postcards ROCKED!!!

To Lou: Many thanks for your valued support and your kind donations to greatly enhance our Event....exspecially the lanyards! P.S.- Thanks for the cool pin too!

Ooo speaking of pins: Thanks to SweetMagic for your very kind gift!

To Martin: Thanks to you mate for...well...being YOU and coming over from across the pond to grace us with your presence. A honor indeed!

To BKGnews: Loved the shirt .....you go boy!

To Scott: ( MGM Dream Team) Roger Rabbit rules! Thanks for the lanyard!
To Brent: and Heather ( EPCOT Events Co-Ords) Thank you for all your wonderful assistance! You were AWESOME!!!
To Eugene: ( EPCOT Events Illuminations host) Thanks for putting up with all our random singing of Past Pavillion theme songs!

To Jim McPhee: Much thanks go out to you for making the magic of EPCOT come alive for everyone in attendence on that historic day! I said it then, i will say it again here now: IT WAS PHENOMINAL!!!

And of course, special thanks must go out to Marty Sklar: For your kind words to me, that pretty much summed up what i had set out to do. Hearing that come back to me through you, truly meant a lot and i thank you for the chance to get to experince EPCOT from your creative perspective.

And a BIG THANKS go out to ALL EPCOT CM's who made the magic happen for us. I mean EVERYONE too.....YOU ALL MAKE THE "DREAM COME TRUE" EVERY DAY, but EXSPECIALLY did on October 1st! It was YOUR day as well as OURS! YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!

Thanks to EVERYONE who came to celebrate with us! Thanks to you, we created a positive scene and brought the passion and excitement we feel for EPCOT to those there on that day. Without you, there would have been no "Event"!

Alrighty...now that i have noted some special thanks, let me get on with my massive story. Let me begin that in my next post....as i need a moment to gather my mental notes!

SweetMagic

Oh Meyla Weyla
Ooo speaking of pins: Thanks to SweetMagic for your very kind gift!

My pleasure, I truly believe we would not have had what we ultimately had if you hadn't been the heart and soul behind it.

I haven't really said too much about the Celebration itself since I've been back. It does take some time to digest it all.

But, one thing that stays with me everyday, is the feeling of gratitude that you all spent the time and energy to make this happen. I have never had such a wonderful, special time at Walt Disney World in the 35 years that I've been going. This was, by far, an experience of a lifetime.

We may be lucky enough to do this again next year or any year for that matter, but this first one, for the 25th, will always be the most magicial. From the Re-Dedication to Marty Sklar to group rides, history walks and Illuminations special edition, I don't think anything could top what we just experienced.

K.

EPCOT.nut

Yep - from the folks that did everything with the group to me and my family - who did some of the activities and some on our own - there was so much to experience! Plus, I felt like a special park guest. :)

No way those 2 days can ever be duplicated! I would like to go every year for the anniversary, though.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Jenn's personal overview

So where to start....

At the beginning i suppose...at 9am on Thursday, Sept 27th when i trotted off to Logan Intl' Airport here in Boston. My flight left an hour or so late, but i did'nt care as long as i arrive at MCO at some point. I was already mentally "On Property"a good two weeks beforehand anyway...now i just had to get myself there physically.

The flight was nice....and upon decent into Orlando i swear that all the cloud shapes looked like Figment heads. I kid you not...and no, i was NOT consuming mass quantities of liquor ( i don't touch the stuff...tastes awful to me). I knew then this was going to be a special trip.

It is always a pleasure to be back at MCO. I love this airport. It's not because it means you are "at Disney"...i just love the design, variety, and overall awesomeness that MCO is. The little tram always gets me pumped with excitement when the little familiar recorded message welcomes you to "Central Florida". Any minute i expect to hear the famous Monorail Speil...hee hee.

For the first time in a while i have to take the Magical Express to my Resort. The lower level was deserted...apparently i arrived before all the EPCOT party goers...as i had the place to myself. The bus was full however...but i did not have to wait and was able to hop right on.

I arrived at my home away from home, All Star Music, and was thrilled to be greeted by a large "Mickey Head" made out of towels, laid across the bed closeset to the door! What a great way to start of this visit! After the usual unpacking chore was done, it was time to get down to the REAL work: Decorating my hotel window. It is a tradition i have done for the past 3 trips or so, and this time i went all out. I had constructed a HUGE photo collage poster covering the entire early history of EPCOT and it's creation. It was quite a thing to see...it was a great pity my room was not in a more visable location ( 5618- Country Fair) as the meticulous efforts in sprucing up my window went to waste...but, on the other hand...it was really for me anyway. I also set up some small figures of Figment, Mick, and Roger Rabbit with party favours and a mini cupcake on the window sill inside my room. When complete it looked pretty cool. I took a few photos of my display, but the flash reflection may be a problem. I use a thing called "film" ( remember that?) so i have no photos to share until i get them "developed" ( remember THAT??). Yeah....i am not a digi-chick at all...sorry! It may be some time before those pix see the light of day...

So with my window now all set, i head off to Downtown Disney for my usual stop at Pin Station to see if they already have some of the EPCOT 25 Pins availible for sale. I strike gold, and pick up three of the open additions right away. I then go over to Once Upon a Toy to view their book selection...and pick up the new book "The Disney Mountains". Excellent book by the way, i HIGHLY recommend it. Also saw the "Imagineering Guide to EPCOT" but passd as i wanted to save what money i had for the EPCOT 25 Limited Edition merch. I might have thought differently if i knew the author of said book was at our Dessert Finale Party! Wowee!

So after spending some time ( and money) at DTD i head back to All Star Music to get some much needed sleep.

The next day ( Friday, Sept 28th) i wake up at 6am. I have always wanted to experience a "rope drop" at one of the Parks, and had heard recently that the one done at Animal Kingdom was well worth the early start. So i decided to make it a point to do this trip...and if nothing more, it would help adjust my inner bodily time clock in preperation for Sunday and Monday's required early risings for Event Registration.

I have to say that i am VERY glad to went to the extra effort to get up that early. It was beautiful that early in the morn at my resort, with the stars still out, all is quiet, and hardly any Guests around except foriegn visitors still experiencing jet-lag. It was surreal and indeed magical in a sense. Even the birds were still asleep at this point.

I trod off and get a meal once the Food Court opens up. I just had to have my Mickey Waffle but was surprised to see they no longer serve grits as a side! Du'oh! I may be living in the North now, but i LOVE MY GRITS!

After breakast i hop on the bus to Animal Kingdom. Today is going to be a steamy day...and i am already sweating standing still in line at the gate. There are not a whole lot of people there....and after a short time they let people in and everyone races off to where the rope is in front of the area before the Tree of Life. Right before opening, Minnie and her friends Donald, Goofy, and Pluto roll out in a safari jeep and do a entertaining routine involving how we are all about to begin our adventure. As she read off a checklist of supplies they will need, Mickey eventually shows up off in the distance. He is raised up on a platform at the base of the Tree, and it was a cool effect to the overall show. The rope is dropped and people scurry off to their destinations.

I won't overview what i experienced in the Parks, only so i can keep this entire tale in a readable size.

I left AK around 2ish as the heat was really becoming a issue with me. I was having a hard time coping with it this time around due to the very high humidity...so left AK before the Parade and headed back to my Resort to recouperate.

That night i attended Mickey's Halloween Party at the Magic Kingdom dressed as Figment. This was my second year attending, and it was just as nice...though it felt a little shorter in length since i arrived an hour after it started. I was so drained from the heat of AK that i could not push myself to get out to MK any faster. The Halloween Party was awesome, and again many of the CM's went out of their way to note how much they liked my costume. Sadly, there are once again NO PHOTOS. Perhaps i can get some in a few weeks, as i will be wearing the same costume to work.

I have to add a special note here to the Entertainment CM's that worked the Parade that night ( 9/28). You guys were fantastic..and i thank all of you who came over to me at the end of the parade route by the Firehouse. I think that was the most attention i have ever had lavished on me during a parade, and it was a Magical Moment for sure...so a big THANK YOU for that experience!

After riding Big Thunder Mountain dressed as Figment (how droll..!) i had pretty much felt accomplished for the evening. It was probably one of my best rides to date....and it was good to get it in before Big Thunder went down for rehab. The "new" Haunted Mansion IS INCREDIBLE. Like "Small World" this is the kind of refurb i like to see--total improvement with appropriate enhancements. Very well done!

After a very full day i return to my Resort and hop into bed to start reading my new book purchase: "The Disney Mountains- Imagineering at it's Peak". I bought it primarily for the awesome concept artwork, but become giddy with glee upon learning there is an entire two chapters all about Tony Baxter's heavy involvment with Big Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain. I am a HUGE Tony Baxter admirer...have been ever since i discovered a while back he was the main man in bringing my favorite attraction to life ( the original JII). Now here i get to read MORE and learn MORE about this man. I am in heaven. So yeah, i stay up until about 3am reading all this new information. Now more then ever i feel compelled to note that i often refer to Big Thunder as "Tony's Mountain" and Splash Mountain as "Baxter's Peak". Yeah i know....i'm a geek.....LOL. Tony, i love ya man......

Saturday dawns and i am again up early (6am). Did i mention how i am NOT a "morning person" whatsoever? It's all part of my plan to tone myself for the next couple of days...trust me i needed to do it this way to function! Saturday was "MGM Day"...so i head off to the Studios after a nice breakfast at the Resort.

Highlights of my visit to MGM that day included visiting "One Man's Dream" for the 20th time or so ( i love it...one of my all time faves there). I am greeted with a pleasent surprise when i notice that the model of Spaceship Earth, that is normally on display there in the EPCOT area, is GONE! All that is there besides it's display case is a small sign that says "this display is being refrubished for future enjoyment"...or something along those lines. A big smile wraps around my face, as i "know" where that baby must be: Part of the EPCOT 25 Gallery! Yay!!!! Another highlight was actually winning a Dream Lanyard in front on the Animation building. The Dream Team was there with us as we waiting for the next showing of the Animation Tour and soon it was announced we were all in the right place at the right time! Yippe! Of all the prizes noted during the YOMD, it was the Lanyard with the Pins i was so hoping to win....and i did!

After the Parade i headed to the boat dock to so another activity i slated myself to actually do this trip: Take to launch to EPCOT from MGM! I have always wanted to do this, but when i would think of the idea it would always be during Park Close post-Fantasmic crowd dump and the lines at the dock would be lenghty. THIS time however i hit it right, and was able to enjoy what is a very relaxing ride. I highly recommend this to anyone wanting to go from MGM to EPCOT. It sure beats riding on the bus...

So i spent Saturday night in EPCOT. I wanted to spent some time in the Park Pre-Event to have the chance to enjoy some of the attractions before the party begins. I figured that if i did not take some time to enjoy what i wanted to NOW, i may very well not get the chance to do so later...as who knows what might transpire post-Event. i was glad to did this, as this was also my first time experiencing the Food n' Wine Festival. Very nice concept there...and a very nice spread of different samplings from around the world. I can easily see why this is so popular, exspecially with the locals.

Saturday came to a close after "Illuminations" and i headed back to my hotel to read more of my new book. I made it a early night ( 11pm) as i had to get up at the very crack of dawn to meet up with Jason for Event Registration Day 1!

I will continue the story in my next post....

Figments Friend

Original Poster
EPCOT Registration Day 1

Continuing my tale of Celebration25 :

Now we come to Sunday morning...very early morning ( 5:30 am actually). I am forcing myself up to prepare myself appearence wise...and mentally. I am both mellow and excited....it is hard to describe really what i was feeling that morning ( besides a little tired!). It was "unique" one could say. It's not every day you wake up at WDW and realize you are about to change the world....from a fan perspective at least. I think i was in awe of actually having the honor of being at EPCOT for the sunrise. That was VERY neat. But i am getting ahead of the story.....

I have a seat out in front of All Star Music's main lobby and enjoy watching the early morning CM's put about doing their tasks. All are eager with a cheerful "Good Morning"....and i am more then happy to give it right back. Jason arrives with his Dad and gets my attention by waving a Celebration 25 printout in his SUV's window ( so i would know it was actually him..). We all meet for the first time, then Jason drives me off to EPCOT. We arrive around 6:45am or so....and there is no one at the Parking Gate so we breeze though with no problems. I must say it was special to be there seeing EPCOT before the sun was even up. You could feel the excitement in the air already.

Naturally we managed to score a prime parking spot....and strolled up the main walkway to where the Ticket Booths are located all the while our mouths are hanging open at the SHEER PROFOUND BEAUTY that is the now Wand-less Spaceship Earth. I cannot express in mere words the absolute and stunning effect seeing it in it's "true" form again had on me. I could not take my eyes off it. It was hypnotising really....and it was gorgeous.

We arrive to find the Registration table all set up much closer to the Front Gate as we originally thought they would be..which was a pleasent surprise. Brent was our Event Coordinator assigned to us for the day, to oversee all our needs and help us in any aspect. He was wonderful to have around, and i hope he had as much fun as we did. Disney went all out for us as far as ensuring we had what we needed, and granted any requests or inquiries we asked about. A lot a thanks needs to go out to these folks, so i encourage EVERYONE who attended to WRITE TO GUEST RELATIONS and TELL THEM! Please send LETTERS by mail, as it makes a better impression and the chances of your messages being noted is greater then just sending a e-mail. Take the time to let Disney know how much you valued their willingness to help us pull this Event off, AND for going forward with all the special touches they did for acknowleding EPCOT's 25th in the end. They are to be commended for this, so please join me in thanking them!

Back to the story now...

So Jason and myself meet up with Brent, and then Adam and his folks. John and Lou then arrive, and we all set to work getting the Registration system set up in a way where we can effectivly and efficiently get Attendees checked in. Lou brough loads of neat bright yellow lanyards that were perfect for our Event. The bright lanyards made spotting our group members VERY easily....and if you look back at some of the large crowd shots you can spot dozens of them in there. John and Jeff contributed the very handsome looking Celebration 25 Schedule of Event cards ...perfectly sized for conviently placing in a pocket or bag...and some cool postcards promoting the Hyperion website (www.2719hyperion.com). Awesome additons and they were all so professional executed. I was very impressed!

Much socializing...some Pin gawking....and last minute therorizing about what may be to come was had by many was we spent those morning hours getting folks registered Sunday Morning. We did not have as many people come on Sunday as we had expected....the bulk seemed to end up coming Monday Morn in the end...but it worked out and no one was help up in getting in the Gate to take a spot in front of the Re-Dedication stage.

Word had reached us that morning from a CM that EPCOT was slated to open it's gates early on the 1st....8am to be exact...as they were expecting large crowds. We passed word on to people who came to pick up there lanyards and Dessert Party wristbands so folks would be "in the know" for arrival. We also recieved some hints as to what surprises my be waiting for us Merchandise wise from a few fans who attended a Disney Meet that weekend and were able to see samples of the Limited Edition items. All i can say is it made many of us literally drool with anticipation. I considered it incredible, and a fans' dream come true really....the itmes in particular that were kept under wraps ( 25th T-Shirt and Figment Plush)

I was thrilled to see some folks come by from Disney's past for the special weekend. Two folks i recall were Charlie, one of the original PR folks who promoted WDW and EPCOT back in the day...and another gent who attended who helped install and paint some of the massive murals in many EPCOT pavillions, most notably the beautiful swirling patterns that used to grace the ceiling of The Land Pavillion. I was truly thrilled to have these folks be a aprt of the festivities, as one of my fondest hopes was to attract such people to our Event. That dream was indeed fullfilled within those 2 days ( actually for me, it was 3!)

When Registration closed for Sunday, many of us went into the Park to enjoy John's fabulous and fun History Walks. Amazingly, this was his first time doing a Walk...but you would have never have known it. It was such a natural, and was clearly steeped in EPCOT knowlege and trivia..that many a Attendee learned many new things about certain Attractions and Pavillions they were able to enjoy them on a whole new level. I think this is one aspect of EPCOT that is not used to it's fullest extent...letting Guests know about certain "neat" backstories and functional aspects of certain Attractions. John had done his homework..and came well prepared with large cards carefully scribbled with his shorthand notes. He went as far as actually including the classic Pavillion Logos on the backs of said cards as well...which was a very cool "Disney Detail" touch! You go boy!

The history walks were a GREAT warm up for Sunday..the day before the Big Day. It was a wonderful way to get everyone on the same page with EPCOT's glorious past, but also bring to light the highlights of the Attractions as they are today. I think everyone there in attendence for the History Walks will agree it was a great experience. Disney allowing this to take place in there own Park says a lot when it comes to trusting our group. I personally saw that as a case of action speaking louder then words...as that level of trust given to what at the time was a "unknown" group should be commended. I am very glad they seemed as pleased with it as we were. I think even Brent learned a few things about some of those Pavillions!

As noted in earlier posts, Jim MacPhee paid a surprise visit to our group while we were all standing in the main Hub behind the Fountain of Nations. As we stood upon the EPCOT logo embedded in the pavement, John spun facts about Future World when suddenly he was "upstaged" by the VP of EPCOT himself! Mouths were agape and people were pop-eyed when Jim arrived and was introduced to the gathered assemble. Jim seemed just as exicted to see us as we were to see him! He was thrilled to have us there, and gave us a neat sneak peek at the forthcoming 25 Anniversary Guide Map that was being released for tomorrow. I was not alone i am sure when he flashed that before our eyes....a EPCOT fans' dream come true: A Reto-themed Guide Map that folded out into a recreation of the original "wheel" guide from 1982. Woo Hoo!!! The cover ALONE was stunning in itself....with the old SSE promo art on black with the iconic "The 21st Began.." type. Silver printed titles and a neat 25th logo capped off a stunning effort. The EPCOT Guide Maps should look this sharp EVERY DAY!

After Jim bumped the excitement factor up about 20 notches...he strolled off with Adam for a chat and then led him onto the empty stage where tomorrow the Re-Dedication would take place. I can only guess as to what that must have been like, as i was not up there as some may have noticed.....i was still mingling in the crowd digesting the revelation of that fabulous Retro Guide Map and realizing that YES, "Disney DOES understand". As i stood there are watched folks take photos of Adam on stage with Jim, i could'nt help but gaze over at SSE and say to myself what was noted earlier in out "campaign"...that our celebration is not about ourselves, but about EPCOT. I think our Event covered that pretty well.

After a little more socailizing it was time to take in some of the scenery. At this point i was in a little bit of a blue funk and drifted off a little bit. I can't recall at this point exactly what i did....i think i was strolling around World Showcase taking in the Food n' Wine Festival at this point....it is a bit of a blur at this late hour. A lot of the folks there earlier in the day drifted off as many were attending the MK's Halloween Party that night.

One happening i should note is my visit to the Electric Umbrella for a rest stop with Adam and his folks. We had come in to have a seat and take a rest after the previous activities when all of a sudden Jim shows up! Yay! So I have a chance to chat with him and i must say i have a very good feeling about EPCOT's future. Jim, like us, has a profound passion for this Park...and i think this is what the difference is: He has a PERSONAL connection to the Park, much like many of us do. This is very comforting knowing that EPCOT is in good hands like his. In the short time he has been at the helm, i have seen a lot of improvements in the Park and i have a strong feeling it is only going to get better from this point on. I sincerely beleive that after my experiences with him during this Event. I am glad knowing someone who "grew up' with EPCOT and was attached to it by personal memories is now guiding it along to it's coming future. Good things are coming, that i am sure of.

After seeing Jim again we all drifted apart to do seperate activites, and then gathered together one more time that day for out first planned group ride-together, this one at Soarin'. For those that were there, no description is needed. For those that were not, i will try to best describe it.

Think of it as a frat party on wings. I think that is the best way to visualize the experience. It was nutty and fun...but not in a overly annoying way as to bother other Guests riding who had no idea who we were and what was going on. I was sitting in the back row with about 5 regular Day Guests and they were all older folks and quite amused by what was going on...so i was releived. I am sure the video footage that was taken is priceless stuff...and some of it may be up already for all i know. All in all it was a ride that will be remembered for some time...even by the CM's who loaded us that night. And yes, comedy insured when the Cm asked us "how many( in your party)?". Hee hee hee.......

Sunday night came to a close and a small group of us gathered behind one of the gift shops in the center of the main walkway to Future World to enjoy Illuminations. A small core group was there: Martin, John, BKGnews, and few others to take in the show. While we were waiting for the show to begin, John whipped out his Ipod and started playing some neat RetoCot videos including the Opening Day program and some nice footage of the orignal Universe of Energy pre-show. Wow it was cool to see those again. He also played one of Martin's brillant video tributes ( Horizons i think it was...) and it was stunning.

Illuminations went off and was wonderful as always.....after the evenings show we all parted company and i headed "home" back to my Resort. I was beat, but exilarated so spent another chunk of time reading more of that book ( I love this stuff!)

I will continue the story tomorrow, where i will recall all of my experiences on October 1st, and what happened on the 2nd...which was just as neat!

brkgnews

WHEW!!!! After three hours of reading, I finally caught up on a week's worth of continuing coverage!

I got back home this evening (Saturday Oct 6) and I can honestly say, I found myself all week long (at least Tue-Sat) wishing we could all be back together for the remainder of the week. Let me know if the yearly idea gets off the ground. I'm so in it's not even funny.

Jackie Steele is such a gentleman.

Awwww shucks!

You sure you met the real Jackie Steele?:ROFLOL:

I had a great time, and hope to see all of you again soon.

EPCOT.nut

Anyone one else who can't get One Little Spark out of your head? :ROFLOL:IASW only sticks in my head for an hour or so. This has been a whole week! :lookaroun

Disney_Freak429

I have been singing it at least once a day with my LE Figment. At other times its one big blend of EPCOT music from everything we heard (& sang) that day.

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
Anyone one else who can't get One Little Spark out of your head? :ROFLOL:IASW only sticks in my head for an hour or so. This has been a whole week! :lookaroun

Cripes. They are all sticking for me and the DW. Living with the Land and Universe of Energy are the two big ones for us. Someone put the 25th loop up on mousebits. Thanks! Now I really can't get them unstuck. :ROFLOL:

EPCOT.nut

Cripes. They are all sticking for me and the DW. Living with the Land and Universe of Energy are the two big ones for us. Someone put the 25th loop up on mousebits. Thanks! Now I really can't get them unstuck. :ROFLOL:

I can't seem to download from Mousebits. OH WELL. Yeah Listen to the Land sticks in my brain when I watch the old Land ride-through. It has a guy playing guitar and singing the song while the boat travels through the ride. It makes me laugh when I watch it.

I have the old EPCOT LP but no turntable. Jeesh the connectivity issues are overwhelming! :lol:

Figment82

It seems every time I walk through Cast Services, the music from Splashtacular is playing. It will NOT get out of my head.

"Make a wish on a shooting star..." Argh! :hammer:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Jenn's tale from October 1st

Sorry for the delay in finishing my dairy of my experience at the Event......i have been a bit melencholy lately. :( Strange i know...i should be estastic with glee after all that happened but instead i feel a little depressed. Perhaps it's the "fall" after the "high"...?

Ah well....back to the story for those interested ....

Where did i leave off...oh yes, i had just covered Sunday's highlights. Now onto "The Big Day". October 1st began at 5:30am for me and once again i met up with Jason in front of All Star Music that morn. We stopped by MD's and picked up some breakfast snacks then headed out to EPCOT. As we drove along the road leading up to the Parking Gate, we were both amused to see a Tram being driven right there on the road heading for EPCOT! It appeared to me that they were bringing Trams over from Magic Kingdom in preperation for the big crowds expected in EPCOT that morn. Pretty cool to see that....and it was also interesting to see that this morning the Parking Gate was actually being manned from 6am on! They were READY for us! The previous morn at that same time there was not a soul about anywhere. THIS time though, they were fully staffed and even had CM's in the lots guiding the cars as you would expect normally. EPCOT's staff were totally on the ball, ready to go even at that early hour to greet the expected crowds. Later on i had overheard they were overstaffed that day as if it were one of the major holidays at the Park. Way cool to know they were prepared!

Jason and myself park and make the trek to the Registration tables. Security is already set up and checking bags ( the previous morning no one was around yet...). Again, sure signs Disney was expecting massive attendence that day. It was a nice build up as you then started to realize just how huge this thing had become.

We arrive at the tables and Adam and his folks, along with a few others, were already set up and in the thick of getting folks registered. Jason jumped in and started clearing those who needed their Dessert Party wristbands and also began the task of handing out the tickets to attend Marty Sklar's Presentation that afternoon. The tickets were stunning, and a wonderful nod to the past. They were cleverly designed to look very similar to the old "Worldpassport" Park Tickets from EPCOT's opening. Even the date was "stamped" on in red "ink" ( actually pre-printed..but it looked REAL!). These were VERY very cool. Next to the Guide Map for the day, Marty's tickets were a STUNNING addition to the festivities. I had worn my old "Junior Worldpassport" ticket that day off of my lanyard, so it was neat to actually hold up the old Park ticket to Marty's remake.

Jason handed out the Marty tickets with Adam and also finsihed passing out the wristbands for the Dessert Party. The wristbands were also themed for the Retro theme, as i noted early on they were "John Hench Purple"!! Yay!! For those who don't understand the joke, "John Hench Purple" is a certain hue of purple that was used back when EPCOT was built to color many pavillions ( namely Communicore and Imagination originally). You can read more about this in John Hench's fab book- "Designing Disney". So yeah...it was a fun in-joke that only a EPCOT freak like myself would pick up on.

We met some great folks while behind those Registration tables...everyone from early Disney PR people to folks who helped build the Park back in the day. Plenty of folks arrived in full Retro-______ regalia...which was fantastic and really added a fun element to the day. Everywhere you went you saw folks sporting their old original EPCOT shirts, new Retro-______ shirts, homemade shirts, custom jobs, pins, hats galore, you name it! If you were a collector, you were able to see some of the neat stuff that has come out over the years. Horizons fans made there presence known strongly too...i saw a LOT of GREAT Horizons shirts. Bkgnews' shirt probably took the cake though...it was a incredible custom-embroidered bowling shirt that had all the original Pavillion Logos emblazoned across the front chest, vertical to the center seam. The back had a gorgeous full sized EPCOT "flower logo" which was stunning.

Folks starting lining up at the gate early....as early as 7:30or so. Most would pick up their goods at the Registration table and immediately head for the gate to line up. Some already had there tickets out and poised directly in front of the ticket scanner so that when the moment came, they would be the first in the Park. CM's behind the gates entertained those waiting....and helped get the gathered crowd in even higher spirits. The intense feeling of what was to come was definately felt during that time period. Everyone was holding there breath waiting for the coutdown to open.

In the meantime, EPCOT had a wonderful surprise for all of us. Around 7am they turned on the background music for the Entrance Plaza. I will always remember the moment as Lou was interviewing me for his WDWRadio Podcast when all of a sudden the familiar tune of the ORIGINAL EPCOT theme music wafted through the air. I was in awe...and totally forgot what Lou had just asked me! I had to apologize...for hearing the music totally sucked me out of reality for a moment and i did'nt quite catch the question. I was THRILLED at the realization that this was happening: Park Ops was playing all the old classic attraction songs and theme music in a wonderful custom complied loop. This brought a tear to many a fans' eye that morning when they approached the Park, i am certain. It made you feel as though you were swept back in time and were about to visit EPCOT back in it's early days. Huge thanks to whoever made the decision to play this music....it proved that Disney DOES "understand"...and DOES listen to the fans. It was a wonderful nod to the accomplishments of EPCOT's past.

Heather was out Event Coordinator for the day, and much like Brent, was wonderful and extremely helpful to us. Anything we asked for or inquired about she delivered for us. She kindly let a small group of us handling the Registration tables be escorted to Mouse Gear so we could insure each of us would be able to purchase some of the Limited Edition merch. There was concerns that by the time myself, Adam, and Jason reached the shop after Registration closed there would be nothing left. Heather brought us in and we all bought a assortment of itmes. I sent most of it back to my Resort through Disney's free Resort Delivery service...which was smart as it enabled me to keep the precious Retro Guide Maps issued that day from getting crushed or bent.

The Entrance Gates had a nice little countdown to annouce their opening, which was fun...and a big cheer went up when the first few fans passed through.

As for the Registration group, we were being escorted into Mouse Gear, where outside we all saw the HUGE lines at the Pin Station and the large crowd gathered at the rope across Innoventions Plaza. Several CM's were out and about greeting people as Event goers entered the Park, many passing out the coveted Retro Guide Maps and 25th Buttons as you passed through the turnstiles. As you made your way to the rope, i saw a group of happy Custodial CM's playing a fun game with a ball and clean waste can. As you walked by towards the rope, they would toss a small ball to you and encourage you to try and toss it into the bucket. Doing so, they would break into a rousing "Hooray"!!! Everyone was getting into it....even the Guest Services CM's were out there to catch all the action as droves arrived in the Plaza.

Back at the Registration tables, things were wrapping up. People were anxious to get in the Park and take up their positions before the Fountain Stage. Everything was packed up, and we all queued up and headed inside. CM's handed us the very nicely made Guide Map and a Time Schedule...all done up handsomely in 25th Anniversary style. It looked so good...you wished EPCOT had as nice a map every day! The cover screamed "Classic EPCOT" and the added plus of having it folks out into a reprinted replica on the original "Wheel" Guide from 82' was a treat. Later that day at the presentation i attended of Marty Sklars', he also took note of the neat Guide Map and gave it a high mark.

We also recieved a nice large button pin upon entering, which was a welcome surprise, and everyone pretty much wore it throughout there stay i think. I still saw people wearing them up until Wednesday ( my last day in the area). These were nicely appreciated, so thanks go out to Disney for that fun perk for the Guests that day.

Rope Drop brought it's own assortment of fun memories....i was not there to witness it but later on i heard about it. Some attendees were selected to be EPCOT's "Family of the Day" because they impressed CM's by singing along with a certain Pavillions old theme song being broadcast over the sound systems in the Plaza. They had the pleasure of riding in a free-rolling Test Track vehicle as Mickey and his pals entertained the crowd lined up behind the rope. Word is Goofy went nuts and in keeping with the early 80's Reto feel for the day, did some bonifide "Break Dancing" moves for the gathered with hilarious results.

Finally the time came and the rope was dropped, and folks made a direct beeline to the Fountain of Nations stage. You could totally tell who was here for the EPCOT Event(s) and who was just a Day Guest. Soon there was a decent sized group parked in the front line in front of the stage....all chomping at the bit to get in the perfect spot to not only watch it with their own eyes, but to capture it with electronic ones. I can't remember the last time i saw SO many cameras! Wow! It was something.....like someone said a while back in the original Celebration 25 thread: "Every man, women, child, and animal will probably be filmed from 8 different angles that day..". Whoever said that was not far off the mark!

So there we all are...hundreds of people gathered in a enthusiastic mass awaiting the start of the Re-Dedication Ceremony. In the meantime, we chat, swap stories, contemplate what it about to happen...and maybe even squeeze in a few interviews. The Retro theme music continues to play all around us in the Plaza...and it does not take long for several spontaneous "sing-alongs" to begin. Yep....imagine several hundred people singing outloud in the Center of EPCOT songs like "Listen to the Land", "The Universe of Energy" and "One Little Spark". It was SURREAL...and added a lot to the wonderful sense of community we were experiencing. When i think about this aspect of the Event, it confirms to me that Walt's dream of having a unified communtiy of tomorrow really did become a reality. This Event we pulled off brought folks from around the nation ( and the world) together to celebrate that place that has brought us together, EPCOT Center. This Park was ment to bring people together, for a better tomorrow....and in a way i think out Event brought that to some people's attention. So EPCOT has indeed lived up to it's original mission i think....and you could clearly feel this during that special day.

After a few nice singalongs....the Re-Dedication officially begins. I won't get into the details about what exactly happened, as there are already several video links about where you can watch what went on. To cover it in breif, several folks came onstage and said a lot of nice things about EPCOT....Jim MacPhee graced the stage and said even more nice things about EPCOT...Original EPCOT CM's who have been there since Day 1 were then honored....and then Marty arrived with his personal escorts Mickey and Minnie. Marty added a lot to the ceremony, and when he announced how nice it would be to once again add waters from the nations to the Plaze Fountain, my mouth fell agape at the realization of what it about to take place.

As reported already in other posts, CM's from all the World Showcase countries paraded across the stage holding idigeous countainers filled with water from their own country. It was a homage to EPCOT's original Opening Day Ceremony, where a similar deed was performed. I thought this was fantastic...and it added a lot of emotion to the production as well. I know several fans in the crowd up close were having tears streaming out of their eyes as all the countries and their water vessels were introduced. I know i was awash in emotion....it was a great moment.

Once the waters were returned to the Fountain, more rousing music put those on the brink of emotion into overload...and the crowd went nuts in a positive way. This was a crowd of not just Celebration 25 Attendees, but many die-hard EPCOT enthusiests from all over as well as many CMs both past and current. I met several CM's who opened the Park...and they were thoroughly enjoying this special day. It was a great "gift" to all of us really...the entire days' experiences.

After the Re-Dedication Jim macPhee and others came around to shake hands and meet with several of the gathered. Both park Ambassadors were about, as well as many members of the press. Photos were taken, handshakes enjoyed, and small talk ensured. Then it was time to arrange our massive gathering of Celebration 25 attendees into some sort of form to enable us to get a good Group Photo of all of us.

We posed in front of the stage, with fabulous SSE in the background. I was sitting front and center, and placed my orignal Figment plush directly in front of me. Jim and the Park Ambassadors also posed in the photo with our group, which was a very kind gesture. I have yet to have seen this picture....anyone here have a shot??

After the Group Photo it was time to hit the EPCOT 25 Gallery inside Innoventions West. The previous night i was lucky to see the signage being installed and get a small peek inside the main room. I was happy to see the "missing" SSE model from MGM's "One Man's Dream" tucked in there....as i assumed that is where it was now. The Gallery was a wonderful sight....a EPCOT Fans' dream come true. If this is the "Year of Million Dreams" then this room is certainly one Fans' dream come true for sure. Folks lined up to be able to get inside, and Disney actually had to have crowd control there were so many of us waiting to get in. Of the few photos i did take that day, i shot several of the long lines waiting to get inside the Gallery. Good times! I was happy to see this, as it will show Disney that this sort of addition is very welcome. I hope they make it permanent in some form...perhaps maybe even expanding it if WDI is keen on the notion of lending more props and models for display. The Gallery was awesome...and a very VERY appreciated effort. I loved it.

More to come....

TinkerBell9988

I can't seem to download from Mousebits. OH WELL. Yeah Listen to the Land sticks in my brain when I watch the old Land ride-through. It has a guy playing guitar and singing the song while the boat travels through the ride. It makes me laugh when I watch it.

I have the old EPCOT LP but no turntable. Jeesh the connectivity issues are overwhelming! :lol:

I can email you the loop if you want. Its really nice. :D

There were some songs in it that I never heard throughout the day on Oct. 1. But the loop sure is good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom