Capturing Their Attention

ImagineerToBeZB

Original Poster
Dear fellow Disney lovers,

I know there are many who have asked questions about getting hired on at WDW, but I have a few follow-up questions that maybe some of you may be able to answer.

1. Is it a good idea to walk into the casting center for search for most recent openings?

2. I've seen mention of a 'wait list'. Is this something you are placed on if you apply at Casting? What does this involve?

3. I've been watching DisneyCareers's website for months, looking for interesting openings, but nothing has been posted in quite some time that I am eligible to apply for. Is it reasonable to call their job line to ask about any new openings?

4. I have several qualifications and experience that may fit a variety of positions, but I am not certain which would be best for me. I want to work in the parks or resorts on the front line, but I am not certain where. I know they would place me where they see fit, but I should apply for a specific job. Could they place you prior to an opening becoming available? ( I don't know if that came across well...)

and finally 5. If there is a wait list, and you are on it, how soon can you be contacted for openings? What is the turnover?

Thanks if you have any suggestions, tips, or tricks. Also any answers to the questions I asked above are extremely welcome! Thanks again....

Domosuke

1.Good idea? Yes. I don't think it's illegal or forbidden, in fact back in the day this was the only way to get a job.

However it's more kosher and orthodox to just apply online. If you go in person, they will direct you to some personal computers that only connect to the Disney job line, just as if you were at home doing it, and you simply fill out the forms on the computer. After you are finished with that, they will then inform for you to check your email at home if they wish to proceed with you.

If you come in to apply thinking you will get an interview in the same visit or occurrence, think again.

2.If you decide to go with option 1 and apply in person at the employee center, you will simply be told to go home and check your email in the coming days/weeks/months for more information. I'm dead serious. So it's best to really just apply on the Disney website for a position you are interested in.

The wait list occurs after you get an email to come in for an interview for a position, and based on how your interview was, (If you interviewed well, yet all the spots for the role have been filled/There are spots open, but you didn't interview good or badly, yet they went with other people) you will be placed on the waiting list. It consists of you waiting up to six months for them to call you in to come work. If you don't hear within those six months, you apply again.

3.If the position you want is not posted online, you can do either one of two things.

*You either stay more persistent with the job postings. Within hours and days they can change. So make sure you check the site every single day, and apply as soon as you see the posting, whether in person at the employee casting office, or on the website.

*You apply for another position that is available and deal with it, (or press your luck and transfer later perhaps once your probation period is over).

I don't believe the job line would have any information the website doesn't. But you can call if you really want to.

4.I totally get what you mean. The only thing you would need certifications for as far as entry level customer service jobs are concerned, would probably be working as a lifeguard, working as a chef, or working as a security guard.

Everything else is fair game. You could have no experience at all, and work in any other entry level position from cleaning the park up, to being a tour guide.

However it does help to have certain levels of experience in certain roles you are applying for. If you don't have experience working with cash, could you handle work in a position that deals with money? If you never dealt with high customer situations, do you think you could handle working a ride or dealing with angry hotel guests?

If you are more of an introverted person, would you rather have a job to which you work by yourself and have more independence?

Think about it.

Please also note, you do have to pay your dues and work your way up. You will more than likely get unfavorable locations, positions, hours and benefits when you first start.

I'm trying to understand the last part though. Are you saying will they offer you a job you didn't apply for or were aware of, or are you saying will they put you in an area of the park that is opening up or new?

If it's the first thing, then yes they might throw you curveballs during your hiring process and give you something you didn't apply for.

Like in my case, I applied for Attractions, however I was given the role as being a bus boy in the restaurants. It wasn't at all what I wanted or was expecting, but I decided to take the offer anyways, which I later regretted taking the offer, however I do wish I was more appreciative, as I was involuntarily terminated not even a month of me working sadly. So I do regret not lasting through my probation, because maybe something could have been worked out. Maybe not though. I don't know.

So the ball is in your court then. You either take the role, or you don't.

So as far as being given a job on a new attraction or location, (for example Star Wars Land), it's all based on luck. In situations like that, usually employees that have seniority have the first choice to work in locations like that, and maybe you might get lucky and they will put some new hires in a opening attraction, but it's all based on luck again.

5.Again, the wait list happens when you apply, and they liked you, but they can't place you anywhere for whatever reason at the time being. They will put you on hold for six months. They will either contact you in that six month period. or they won't.

Anymore tips that I haven't already mentioned or covered?

I would really make sure the role you are applying for, is the one you want.

Dress for success. Dress in business/casual attire. Maintain good body language and eye contact during the interview.

Ask questions afterward, even if they are mundane, "How does employee parking work? Do you offer any employee training classes etc."

They may offer you another role you didn't apply for and/or want., which at that point I can't say if you refuse the role will you leave empty handed or not. But it might happen.

During traditions and training down the line if you do get hired, I wouldn't get that too impersonal with the staff members and your fellow employees. I mean you can circulate and have small talk, but don't open yourself up to these people. Also I wouldn't joke around with the moderators of the training courses, yet however ask them questions though.

One last tip, don't do anything that makes you uncomfortable. If you aren't going to like working as a parking lot attendant when you're offered the job, you won't like it as time goes on.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

ImagineerToBeZB

Original Poster
1.Good idea? Yes. I don't think it's illegal or forbidden, in fact back in the day this was the only way to get a job.

Thanks for the excellent reply! I really appreciate your assistance and your answer. About the part where you weren't sure what I meant, I still don't know what exactly I was going for... Haha.

You answered my questions really well, so I will continue to watch the career site in hopes something will show up soon.

Thanks again!

ImagineerToBeZB

Original Poster
I just thought of one more question. I applied for a seasonal/temporary position back in about February or March. They called me the next day to schedule an interview, but I told the representative that I needed to mention that I was unable to start until the end of May or June, so he said the position was needed soon, and that in that case I no longer qualified. He told me to get in touch after I was able to start.

Since I applied for a position then, does this mean I will have to wait 6 months from that moment to apply again? Or does that just apply to a specific job or being rejected . Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom