Captain Jack Sparrow

bluefaery

Original Poster
I read somewhere, that disney is going to have Cpt. Jack Sparrow walking around POC. Is it true?

Sledge

Account Suspended
An AA in the ride or a character walking around outside the attraction posing for pictures and signing autographs? I think both would be really cool. I'd love to get a picture with him.

barnum42

There have been unfounded rumours that a robot version would be introduced, but I've never seen anything to that effect with solid proof. I'm surprised they have not had a face character outside the attraction.

rainfully

I for one would LOVE a Jack Sparrow face character... it would make for some great guest interactions. (Not to mention I would totally swoon!) Now that I think about it, I wonder why it hasn't happened yet.

MKCustodial

I'd rather have a face character signing autographs while burping drunkenly on your face than having the movie intruding the attraction with AAs.

MKCustodial

hakunamatata said:
Not unless they pay Mr. Depp allot of money..........

Why? The character is property of the Walt Disney Company. They have the Genie out and they don't pay Robin Williams every time the Genie signs an autograph. And before you say it's different, because one is an actor and the other is animated, it's widely known that they redid Genie to resemble Williams after he started ad-libbing the part. So it's as much Robin in Genie as it is Johnny in Sparrow.

Epcot82Guy

MKCustodial said:
Why? The character is property of the Walt Disney Company. They have the Genie out and they don't pay Robin Williams every time the Genie signs an autograph. And before you say it's different, because one is an actor and the other is animated, it's widely known that they redid Genie to resemble Williams after he started ad-libbing the part. So it's as much Robin in Genie as it is Johnny in Sparrow.

I think he meant that Sparrow already has a face unlike the animated characters, so they would need Johnny to walk around the parks which = lots of $$$

I.M.Fearless

An AA would be cool. A character would not. Why? Easy. NOBODY can correctly impersonate Johnny Depp. He's too much of a character himself for it to work. It just wouldn't be right.

P.S. HOLY COW! I've already clocked 115 posts?!?!

I also heard about this rumor. I think i read it in the Unofficial Guide to WDW that they would put an AA in the ride in time for the release of POTC2 as a promotion thing. its really interesting especially with the rumors of the Pirates of the Scareibbean refurbishments that might take place. while i absolutely LOVE the ride, i think it would be cool to update it maybe a little... i dont know waht exactly they could get away with though. i mean they couldnt even have pirates chasing women on the ride cause that wasnt PC... thats a little lame if you ask me. anyway, im sure what ever happens will be cool.

CoffeeJedi

wasn't there some country video where they made up some guy EXACTLY like Jack, and people actually thought it was Jonny Depp?

the makeup is so thick that i think a convincing Captain Jack could be done. as long as the voice and the motions are "generally" close enough to Depp, a good actor could pass for a few minutes of guest interaction. not to mention that noone would actually expect Johnny Depp to play a recurring character in a theme park (i mean, sometimes the public is dumb, but.....)

given the high profile of Depp, the inevitable comments of "hey Johhnny" or "aren't you Johnny Depp?" would need a prescripted response like "look.... that guy in the movie looked nothing like me..... and he got me com---PLETLY wrong...." in that particular staggering bulgy eyed wavy hands Jack Sparrow manner

artdude323

Both the AA and face character were verified at Disneyland as going into "some" parks by John Stamos, who was there and in costume as a Pirate at the Press Event on May 14th, the day the park was closed to the public.

Ho didn't verify which parks would be receiving which characters, though, and neither did Eisner or Iger in their addresses to the Press, probably because it won't be decided until they're ready to put them in.

wickedqueen

Well, some might say it is impossible to find girls who look like Julie Andrews too and yet Mary Poppins is found in the parks! I believe they could dig up one or two cast members to portray Capt. Jack Sparrow with at least some of Mr. Depp's flair. The important thing would be that the character made you believe you were meeting Jack Sparrow, not that he is a 100% dead ringer exact match for Johnny Depp....cuz if I ever saw one of those, the poor thing would be in trouble.....hee hee.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom