Canadian dad with 2 young children

Scoppin

Original Poster
Hi,

Just joined and hoping to get some information. I have been doing some research and there is a lot of information out there. I am planning to go in September 2016. This sort of works out for me as I have found out this is the lowest attendance month, I happen to have my children for three consecutive weeks and it is my son's birthday.

I am not sure if names of different sites or travel companies are able to be mentioned. I found a WDW help site which does have a lot of information. It also recommended and had a link to a travel company. I have made contact and they sound perfect, almost too perfect. I have tried to do some research/investigating but have not been able to find out much on the company.

This may very well the first and only trip I am able to take my children to WDW. The last thing I want to do is hand over a very large amount of money to someone only to find out when we get down there we don't have any reservations.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
There is a travel agent that's a sponsor here and very reliable, @Kingdom Konsultant has a number of agents who are members of this site. I've used @wannabeBelle in the past and was never disappointed.

There's tons of planning that can be done, sometimes it can be intimidating. I find the planning to be almost as much fun as the trips themselves! [Almost!]

Fellow Canadian single parent here! Nice to meet you! :cool:

Scoppin

Original Poster
There is a travel agent that's a sponsor here and very reliable, @Kingdom Konsultant has a number of agents who are members of this site. I've used @wannabeBelle in the past and was never disappointed.

There's tons of planning that can be done, sometimes it can be intimidating. I find the planning to be almost as much fun as the trips themselves! [Almost!]

I was referring to Dad's Guide to WDW and his recommendation of Destinations to Travel. I have a tight budget and want to make sure I am able to take advantage of every possible discount out there. Which is one of the advantages the above brought forward. I want to make this the best possible trip I can for my two. But able to be able not to get into debt or constantly tell them they can't do anything extra or buy anything. I want us to have a fun stress fee stay.

NiarrNDisney

I was referring to Dad's Guide to WDW and his recommendation of Destinations to Travel. I have a tight budget and want to make sure I am able to take advantage of every possible discount out there. Which is one of the advantages the above brought forward. I want to make this the best possible trip I can for my two. But able to be able not to get into debt or constantly tell them they can't do anything extra or buy anything. I want us to have a fun stress fee stay.

One great way to save money is to either send a package to your resort before hand or pack up some souvenirs and treats that you can give to your kids so they wont ask for every little thing they see in the parks.
- I suggest checking out your local stores and picking up small stuffed animals (Mickey and his friends of course) to put on their beds.
- Target has awesome character themed t-shirts and other clothing items at great prices much lower than what you can find at the Disney Store
- Look for Costumes and Accessories they can use to dress up in for the parks.
- Get some glow jewelry and light up items from the Dollar store or Party City for the evening parades and firework shows.
- I have found the water bottle fans, ponchos, autograph books and themed pens at the Dollar Store, Party City as well as Walmart.

Hope these help!

Last edited:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
With Disney there are discounts available for resorts or you can usually get "free dining"* in September. Any travel agent worth their salt will get those for you. Kingdom Konsultants are as good or better than any out there, they'll book your stay and watch for new discounts that come out and apply them on your behalf without you having to lift a finger. Staying on site in a Value resort [I'd recommend Pop Century] might be cheaper if you factor in paying to park every day and a car rental if you stay off site. Off site hotel shuttles can be hit and miss if you're not renting a car. Local hotels are much cheaper at face value, but you lose out on Extra Magic Hours [not a big deal for everyone].

@NiarrNDisney has made great suggestions for savings on souvenirs. With the notable exception of the Target recommendation, Target closed all their Canadian stores last year. If you live near the U.S. border that may still be an option.

Just to be clear, Travel Agencies add nothing to your costs, they get paid by Disney. Any deals you could find, they can as well, but they're much more experienced at finding them. Marie at Kingdom Konsultants [ @wannabeBelle ] has the know-how to set you up with a vacation that'll fit your budget and maximize your fun [within reason, Disney is not a $10/day vacation no matter how good the agent is]. She and I have become friends over the years. Although I now book my Disney World trips myself, she's still my go-to agent for Disney Cruises.

* I put free dining in quotes because depending on the ages of your kids, the room discounts having breakfast in your room and bringing your own snacks into the parks can probably save you more than the free dining would.

NiarrNDisney

@NiarrNDisney has made great suggestions for savings on souvenirs. With the notable exception of the Target recommendation, Target closed all their Canadian stores last year. If you live near the U.S. border that may still be an option.

Oh I forgot Target closed their stores in Canada :facepalm: that stinks! :( I'm sure you could probably still go on the website and find some great deals though! :cool:

Scoppin

Original Poster
One great way to save money is to either send a package to your resort before hand or pack up some souvenirs and treats that you can give to your kids so they wont ask for every little thing they see in the parks.
- I suggest checking out your local stores and picking up small stuffed animals (Mickey and his friends of course) to put on their beds.
- Target has awesome character themed t-shirts and other clothing items at great prices much lower than what you can find at the Disney Store
- Look for Costumes and Accessories they can use to dress up in for the parks.
- Get some glow jewelry and light up items from the Dollar store or Party City for the evening parades and firework shows.
- I have found the water bottle fans, ponchos, autograph books and themed pens at the Dollar Store, Party City as well as Walmart.

Hope these help!
Thanks for all the hints and tips. I will surely take a lot of them into consideration before leaving for our trip.

Scoppin

Original Poster
With Disney there are discounts available for resorts or you can usually get "free dining"* in September. Any travel agent worth their salt will get those for you. Kingdom Konsultants are as good or better than any out there, they'll book your stay and watch for new discounts that come out and apply them on your behalf without you having to lift a finger. Staying on site in a Value resort [I'd recommend Pop Century] might be cheaper if you factor in paying to park every day and a car rental if you stay off site. Off site hotel shuttles can be hit and miss if you're not renting a car. Local hotels are much cheaper at face value, but you lose out on Extra Magic Hours [not a big deal for everyone].

Just to be clear, Travel Agencies add nothing to your costs, they get paid by Disney. Any deals you could find, they can as well, but they're much more experienced at finding them. Marie at Kingdom Konsultants [ @wannabeBelle ] has the know-how to set you up with a vacation that'll fit your budget and maximize your fun [within reason, Disney is not a $10/day vacation no matter how good the agent is]. She and I have become friends over the years. Although I now book my Disney World trips myself, she's still my go-to agent for Disney Cruises.

* I put free dining in quotes because depending on the ages of your kids, the room discounts having breakfast in your room and bringing your own snacks into the parks can probably save you more than the free dining would.
I understand this trip is not going to be cheap by any means. I would like to ensure if I book with something it is not a scam and show up at the resort only to be told we don't have reservations. I want to make sure I can get the best deal and discounts possible. I am quite busy and not able to keep up on all the discounts which may pop up. Not to mention I may not know everywhere to look.

I am planning on staying on site. I think it would be less stressful for us and give us more time to enjoy the parks. My children are 8 and 10. My son will be turning 11 during the trip. We generally pack a number of snacks when we travel. One never knows when little one are going to say they are hungry.

I was there once but it has changed a lot in the past 40 years. Only Magic Kingdom was there when I went. So this will be a new experience for me as well. that being said, there is such much to plan and learn such as; fast pass +, free dining, character dining, advance dining reservations and the list just keeps going on and on.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I understand this trip is not going to be cheap by any means. I would like to ensure if I book with something it is not a scam and show up at the resort only to be told we don't have reservations. I want to make sure I can get the best deal and discounts possible. I am quite busy and not able to keep up on all the discounts which may pop up. Not to mention I may not know everywhere to look.

I am planning on staying on site. I think it would be less stressful for us and give us more time to enjoy the parks. My children are 8 and 10. My son will be turning 11 during the trip. We generally pack a number of snacks when we travel. One never knows when little one are going to say they are hungry.

I was there once but it has changed a lot in the past 40 years. Only Magic Kingdom was there when I went. So this will be a new experience for me as well. that being said, there is such much to plan and learn such as; fast pass +, free dining, character dining, advance dining reservations and the list just keeps going on and on.
You'll have a great time, even if the planning isn't perfect. :cool:

Between now and then you'll have lots of opportunities to ask questions. There are quite a few folks around here that are happy to help.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor

I would be happy to help you. We have been in business for many years and the travel sponsors on here for a very long time. @wdwmagic I can tell you that we do watch for every possible discount and try to save our clients as much as we possibly can as long as the discount is available for your travel dates and resort,etc. I am confused by your comment about making sure it is not a scam and show up at the resort only to be told you don't have reservations. Has this happened to you in the past?

Pam

Scoppin

Original Poster
I would be happy to help you. We have been in business for many years and the travel sponsors on here for a very long time. @wdwmagic I can tell you that we do watch for every possible discount and try to save our clients as much as we possibly can as long as the discount is available for your travel dates and resort,etc. I am confused by your comment about making sure it is not a scam and show up at the resort only to be told you don't have reservations. Has this happened to you in the past?

Pam
Hi Pam,

No it hasn't happened to me but when you are not able to walk into an office to confirm the business it makes it harder. The internet can be a great thing and also allows others to take advantage of some. Especially when I tried looking up information regarding the first company I was thinking of and I was not very successful on confirming their operation. I am sure you can understand.

I did contact someone from Kingdom Konsultant. I was able to find some information to confirm your operation. I did get a quote but it was higher than our local CAA. I asked to confirm the quote to see if it was all in US$ as I was expecting it to be lower. I didn't get a response so I booked our trip with our local CAA. I had to move on it as things were appearing to be booked.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Hi Pam,

No it hasn't happened to me but when you are not able to walk into an office to confirm the business it makes it harder. The internet can be a great thing and also allows others to take advantage of some. Especially when I tried looking up information regarding the first company I was thinking of and I was not very successful on confirming their operation. I am sure you can understand.

I did contact someone from Kingdom Konsultant. I was able to find some information to confirm your operation. I did get a quote but it was higher than our local CAA. I asked to confirm the quote to see if it was all in US$ as I was expecting it to be lower. I didn't get a response so I booked our trip with our local CAA. I had to move on it as things were appearing to be booked.

I don't know who you were talking to, but that is unusual that you did not get a response. I have very strict guidelines with responding to clients. Please feel free to send me a pm with the agents name and I will look into it.

Pam

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom