Can you do Universal Studios in 1 day

kbmb

Original Poster
Family of 4 (9 and 7 yr olds) and huge Disney fans, we go every year and will be back at WL Aug 12-19 this year.

We are planning on taking a day and doing just the Studios side of Universal. Wife and I haven't been in probably 10 years.....can we do just the Studios in 1 day comfortably?

We don't need to see everything....for example our kids won't have any interest in any of the following:

Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit
The Blues Brothers Show
Beetlejuice’s Graveyard Revue
Fear Factor Live
Woody Woodpecker’s KidZone
Horror Make-Up Show
Lucy – A Tribute

That leaves most of the rest of the rides to visit. We'd plan on being there first thing and stay all day.

Thanks for any advice.

-Kevin

lazyboy97o

You'll probably still be able to do a good bit. The big question that remains unanswered is how Diagon Alley will impact crowds in the rest of the park and if it'll still be a mad house at that time. You're most likely going to want to spend some time in there, even if you're not Harry Potter fans. And do remember that you will not be able to ride the Hogwarts Express.

The Horror Make-Up Show really is worth seeing.

kbmb

Original Poster
You'll probably still be able to do a good bit. The big question that remains unanswered is how Diagon Alley will impact crowds in the rest of the park and if it'll still be a mad house at that time. You're most likely going to want to spend some time in there, even if you're not Harry Potter fans. And do remember that you will not be able to ride the Hogwarts Express.

The Horror Make-Up Show really is worth seeing.

Thanks. Wife and I have seen the makeup show and it was good. I guess it's an option if we have time.

It is a bummer on the Hogwarts Express.....wish Universal could have made it where you could just stay on.....or make it so you have to walk back!

I'm a big Potter fan but kids and wife aren't really yet....so while we'll definitely check it out and try to do the Escape from Gringotts.....we won't need to spend a ton of time in there. I went to the other side last year and it was cool....but man, Universal sure makes it all cramped.

Anyone know if the middle of August is a busy time at Universal?

-Kevin

RTeker

The Blues Brothers Show is outside in the street near the Mummy ride so your group may wind up catching some of the show depending on the time :D i think late August to late September all the parks tend to get a lot less activity due to the one big thing all kids have to do; SCHOOL lol

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Given your list, possibly.

Minion Mayhem gets good lines that are slow moving.

Transformers can fill the lengthy interior queue.

Then there is Diagon...

Mouse_Trap

With Diagon opening, I would say absolutely no chance.

If you did park opening till close, and given your list then you may get close enough that you wouldn't be too bothered about not going back.

Oh also, unless you hate coasters - I think HRRR is really very good.
The Blues Brothers and especially the Makeup Show are very good too. I thought I would hate both, but found them surprisingly enjoyable. With BB, they just play in the street at various times....worth hanging around for a few minutes....usually its quite infectious.

I tend to think that 3 days between USF and IoA is about right, depending on the crowds. At peak levels I think 2 days each would be a good option, certainly if you have not been in years.

IAmFloridaBorn

Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit
The Blues Brothers Show
Beetlejuice’s Graveyard Revue
Fear Factor Live
Woody Woodpecker’s KidZone
Horror Make-Up Show
Lucy – A Tribute

I have never done Horror Make Up Show, Lucy, Fear Factor or Beetle Juice or Blues Brothers.

If you are not doing Kidzone period that eliminates the following:
Barney
Animal Actors Show
ET Ride
WoodywoodPecker Nuthouse Coaster
Curious George Goes to Town
Fievals Playland
And the Spongebob Store (Which is really cool)

That alone eliminates 1r 1r and a half at best. So we'll round up to two hours.
Eliminate Rockit,Fear Factor and the rest, thats about another 2 hours you have freed up, so thats 4 hours.

Universal is open 9-10 PM until 18th . 18th and 19th open 9 - 9 PM.

In essence if you eliminate all that you will be missing out on, yes you can do Universal studios in one day.

But The Superstar Character Parade, Nightime Lagoon Cinematic Show, and other attractions you ex-ed out will make your day at Uni seem unfulfilled.

Cosidering Despicable me and Transformers are now the top two attractions on your list, that will be anywhere between 90-110 minutes wait for both rides. (Despicable me times are ALWAYS LONG unless you hit it first or have express.)

HTF

I was in Diagon for 4 hours last night and still haven't seen half the shops, Gringotts, or the Leaky Cauldron. Many are underestimating how long you can spend within Diagon. Also did I mention this was during a preview lol. Your going during a very busy time just before schools in Central Florida are back in session. So while you will be able to do quite a bit one day is officially no longer enough for Universal Studios.

IAmFloridaBorn

I was in Diagon for 4 hours last night and still haven't seen half the shops, Gringotts, or the Leaky Cauldron. Many are underestimating how long you can spend within Diagon. Also did I mention this was during a preview lol. Your going during a very busy time just before schools in Central Florida are back in session. So while you will be able to do quite a bit one day is officially no longer enough for Universal Studios.
I'd even go and say Diagon-Hogsmede are Half-Day Destinations of their own.

Last edited:

HakunaMatata89

You shouldn't have an issue doing Studios in one day, when we'd go we could do most the park and be done late afternoon. As long as you keep an eye on line wait times and hit them when they are right.

kbmb

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies so far.

One other question....does anyone know if you buy a 1 day 1 park ticket and decide at the end of the day you really need to come back, can you go to guest services and upgrade that to a 2 day ticket? As opposed to having to buy another full price 1 day ticket.

Anyone ever done this?

-Kevin

BrerJon

Thanks for all the replies so far.

One other question....does anyone know if you buy a 1 day 1 park ticket and decide at the end of the day you really need to come back, can you go to guest services and upgrade that to a 2 day ticket? As opposed to having to buy another full price 1 day ticket.

Anyone ever done this?

-Kevin

Yup that should be quite easy to do at Guest Relations. They'd prefer you to come back and spend a few dollars on food and merch than go elsewhere so should be happy to upgrade the ticket.

On fitting it all in a day, I'd say given your list, for a family with 7 and 9 year olds I'd say the following should be on your list, with approximately how long it might take:
Terminator 2:3D (1hr)
ET (30 mins)
Simpsons (30 mins)
(get lunch in Fast Food Boulevard) (1hr)
Men In Black (45 mins)
Disaster (1 hr)
Transformers (45 mins)
Despicable Me (45 mins)
Revenge of the Mummy (45 mins)
Twister (30 mins)
Exploring Diagon Alley (waits for Gringotts will probably be hours long so I wouldn't even bother trying to ride it if you only have one day - the single rider line might be short by then though so worth checking)

I'd say Shrek (if the kids like Shrek) and Rip Ride Rockit are possibles for the list. Obviously there are a lot of things you'll miss out on - Makeup show, parades and fireworks etc., but if that's all OK then you could probably hit all that in a day.

You would need to get there before park opening though (and buy tickets in advance to save lining up at the ticket window) and stay until close, and hit Transformers, RRR and Despicable Me first - should be very short lines first thing as everyone will be heading to Diagon - then it's tight, but all possible.

The trick is not to be too rigid, if something has a line of 45 minutes or more leave it until later in the day, and don't be afraid to criss-cross the park to get to the shorter lines - the things you leave will probably have a shorter line later in the day.

And use Single Rider lines! If time is short you can't be too picky about wanting to sit next to your family - you'll still line up together, everyone will ride around the same time but you'll save a couple of hours waiting. Mummy, Despicable Me and Transformers offer them, but don't use Single Rider for MIB as that is one where it's important to be together, and RRR single is often as long as the main, so check the time on that but for the others it really helps.

kbmb

Original Poster
Yup that should be quite easy to do at Guest Relations. They'd prefer you to come back and spend a few dollars on food and merch than go elsewhere so should be happy to upgrade the ticket.

On fitting it all in a day, I'd say given your list, for a family with 7 and 9 year olds I'd say the following should be on your list, with approximately how long it might take:
Terminator 2:3D (1hr)
ET (30 mins)
Simpsons (30 mins)
(get lunch in Fast Food Boulevard) (1hr)
Men In Black (45 mins)
Disaster (1 hr)
Transformers (45 mins)
Despicable Me (45 mins)
Revenge of the Mummy (45 mins)
Twister (30 mins)
Exploring Diagon Alley (waits for Gringotts will probably be hours long so I wouldn't even bother trying to ride it if you only have one day - the single rider line might be short by then though so worth checking)

I'd say Shrek (if the kids like Shrek) and Rip Ride Rockit are possibles for the list. Obviously there are a lot of things you'll miss out on - Makeup show, parades and fireworks etc., but if that's all OK then you could probably hit all that in a day.

You would need to get there before park opening though (and buy tickets in advance to save lining up at the ticket window) and stay until close, and hit Transformers, RRR and Despicable Me first - should be very short lines first thing as everyone will be heading to Diagon - then it's tight, but all possible.

The trick is not to be too rigid, if something has a line of 45 minutes or more leave it until later in the day, and don't be afraid to criss-cross the park to get to the shorter lines - the things you leave will probably have a shorter line later in the day.

And use Single Rider lines! If time is short you can't be too picky about wanting to sit next to your family - you'll still line up together, everyone will ride around the same time but you'll save a couple of hours waiting. Mummy, Despicable Me and Transformers offer them, but don't use Single Rider for MIB as that is one where it's important to be together, and RRR single is often as long as the main, so check the time on that but for the others it really helps.

Awesome info thank you! We are definitely going to buy tickets before we leave.....we are just going back and forth on 1 or 2 days. We might take the chance and do the 1 day ticket and ask to upgrade during that day if we want to come back.

-Kevin

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom