Can someone explain Online Check-in?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Aren't most free upgrades given to those guests staying for at least 7 days or less? In May 2000 we were upgraded at the Contemporary to the Tower Club 14th floor Club Level floor. During that specific vacation we only stayed for 4 days, where as we have never been upgraded when on a reservation for 2 weeks since it's a much longer stay.
The lion share of out trips are of the 1-2 night variety and we would get upgrades on what appeared to be a rate fairly consistent with what others would get.

It all depends on what that particular resort needs. Lets say you are booked in a standard room, but the last standard room became unavailable because the AC went out and needs to be replaced. Odds are you would be put into an available preferred room.

In cases where no other rooms are available you might receive an entire resort upgrade where they would move from say a value to a deluxe or DVC in a process called walking.

jtgrizz

What is your arrival date? What resort and how many adults and kids?
Your travel agent should have made one reservation for your family.
For example: If you have 2 adults and 3 plus children staying at a resort that allows 4 guests in the room, then you need to make one reservation, which will require two connecting rooms in order to accommodate your entire family. One reservation for 2 adults and 3+ children (not infant) will be the price of two rooms. Since, it's one reservation for a family of 5+ guest, then Disney will set it up as connecting rooms. It might be too late for this trip, but for future trips, make one reservation, not two separate reservations.

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
What is your arrival date? What resort and how many adults and kids?
Your travel agent should have made one reservation for your family.
For example: If you have 2 adults and 3 plus children staying at a resort that allows 4 guests in the room, then you need to make one reservation, which will require two connecting rooms in order to accommodate your entire family. One reservation for 2 adults and 3+ children (not infant) will be the price of two rooms. Since, it's one reservation for a family of 5+ guest, then Disney will set it up as connecting rooms. It might be too late for this trip, but for future trips, make one reservation, not two separate reservations.

Thanks for the tip, I will look into that! We are going in September. Its me, my husband, 5 year old and one year old in one room. And then my parents in the connecting room.

EOD K9

I'm staying in Nov at AoA on someone else's dime. We are DVC members and have never stayed there. My in-laws reserved us a room in TLM section, what are the odds of an upgrade? If I asked at the desk if suites are available and what the price difference was, would that put a spark into the CMs head? It is not a big deal as we have cruised with DCL often, and obviously, the rooms are smaller. Any thoughts?

mousehockey37

I'm staying in Nov at AoA on someone else's dime. We are DVC members and have never stayed there. My in-laws reserved us a room in TLM section, what are the odds of an upgrade? If I asked at the desk if suites are available and what the price difference was, would that put a spark into the CMs head? It is not a big deal as we have cruised with DCL often, and obviously, the rooms are smaller. Any thoughts?

I don't think asking for upgrades at the counter does anything. It couldn't hurt, but I think you're more at the mercy of the CM's pixie dust at that point. Also, don't expect DVC quality out of a value resort, you're not gonna have a good time if you do.

For you and the OP, a lot of things have to line up for upgrades (use the new search box features, there was a rather lengthy thread on upgrades some time back) and time of year/how booked up the resorts are is a big influence.

For the OP, your TA needs to have communicated clearly everything you need, if they left anything out, then you're at the mercy of what capacity issues. Waiting to request adjoining rooms until at the desk, your chances are severely reduced, even though Sept is *somewhat* slower (not so much with F&W and MNSSHP starting earlier).

This is an informative thread. I am also near the date range for on-line check-in but don't think I want to do it. I paid for a club level room with a MK view at Contemporary Resort, so they should know where we need to go. There are only so many rooms on the MK side of the 12th floor. I have a paid reservation so they should be expecting us regardless of on-line check-in status.

I actually look forward to all interaction including the gate guard and cast members when we check in. I believe that is part of the fun.

It seems to me there is also one potentially slightly negative impact. While it has never happened to us...ever...there are some whom I have heard got free upgrades at check-in to a better (more expensive) room. Doing on-line check-in and getting an advance room number would seem to remove any possibility of a free upgrade upon check-in...however slim that possibility may be.

There's been some threads that state close to what you did, and they got there, and they didn't have that. Not to put a worry in your ear, but if they overbook or something and you get bumped, you'd more than likely get a refund or something. I don't know the exact thread, but it's been mentioned here before. Some people have been bumped to other parts of the resort, others to a totally different resort... I understand and agree, you want what you paid for, but you have to know that things have happened in the past. As for the frequency of it, I don't know, hopefully minimal...

tractor tipper

You can ask, price difference is huge, suites will hold 6 people and the price is the same for 2 or 6.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
By policy, if you ask for an upgrade they have to charge you for it.

I tested the policy a few times and every time I was given the price for the upgrade.

Courtney6682

I've done both online check-in and regular check-in, but does anyone else LOVE checking in in the lobby? For me, it's just so exciting and feels like the official start of vacay lol...maybe I'm a weirdo!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom