California Screamin' / Tower for Food & Wine Festival? Yay or Nay?

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Would you want to see CS make a comeback for the California food and wine festival, like Soarin over California does?

If you think about it, this shouldn't be a challenge. Load the soundtrack, cover the windows of the show buildings, leave the tunnels dim, and it's California Screamin'. Personally I think this would be a nice addition to the food & wine festival and would bring yet another reason for Disney parks fans to attend.

I'll also mention the possibility of bringing back a temporary retheme of Hollywood Tower Hotel, but this would probably be more complicated - although doable.

But what do you think?

SuddenStorm

For years I've wanted them to toss the original ride film in Star Tours. It's been digitized, they played it at a convention, so it shouldn't be that hard. And just make C3PO sound like Rex and all is good.

I'd wait for hours to get a chance to ride the original again. I loved it. This new one just doesn't scratch the itch.

CaptinEO

For years I've wanted them to toss the original ride film in Star Tours. It's been digitized, they played it at a convention, so it shouldn't be that hard. And just make C3PO sound like Rex and all is good.

I'd wait for hours to get a chance to ride the original again. I loved it. This new one just doesn't scratch the itch.
Disney is literally sitting on gold by not swapping out Captain EO, Star Tours, or even Honey I Shrunk the Audience, and Magic Journeys.

Think how many younger fans haven't seen those or how many longtime fans would want to see them again.

Instead we have an empty Tomorowland theater.

You could even put on Seasons of the Vine or the Whoopi Goldberg California Movie in that one theater in DCA by the vineyard that has sat empty.

PiratesMansion

Disney is literally sitting on gold by not swapping out Captain EO, Star Tours, or even Honey I Shrunk the Audience, and Magic Journeys.

Think how many younger fans haven't seen those or how many longtime fans would want to see them again.

Instead we have an empty Tomorowland theater.

You could even put on Seasons of the Vine or the Whoopi Goldberg California Movie in that one theater in DCA by the vineyard that has sat empty.
I'm not sure it would definitively work out this way, but I could see a world in which Disney finds success by rotating out the 3D shows seasonally, sort of like what Tokyo Disneyland used to do with Country Bears.

Magic Journeys Jan-April; Captain EO May-Labor Day; HISTA Rest of Sept-December.

Throw in some random Star Wars D+ short or truncated preview at random times and BAM! You instantly have an attraction and more ride capacity for what probably only requires like 2 ops max most of the time.

Maybe it'd flop (I think EO, much as you and I loved it, proved a bit too esoteric for most of the park's 2010 audience, and I imagine Magic Journeys would honesty be similar), but they could do a lot worse than to try something like that.

Phroobar

I'm not sure it would definitively work out this way, but I could see a world in which Disney finds success by rotating out the 3D shows seasonally, sort of like what Tokyo Disneyland used to do with Country Bears.

Magic Journeys Jan-April; Captain EO May-Labor Day; HISTA Rest of Sept-December.

Throw in some random Star Wars D+ short or truncated preview at random times and BAM! You instantly have an attraction and more ride capacity for what probably only requires like 2 ops max most of the time.

Maybe it'd flop (I think EO, much as you and I loved it, proved a bit too esoteric for most of the park's 2010 audience, and I imagine Magic Journeys would honesty be similar), but they could do a lot worse than to try something like that.
Have you guys actually seen Magic Journeys? It is like watching a sickening sweet show on the Wonderful World of Disney but with really creepy clowns and a witch. It makes the Star Wars Holiday Special look Emmy worthy. I remember seeing it outside before the theater was built. It is definitely not up to prime time. All of these would have a line for about three weeks as the vloggers go in to make fun of it before playing to empty theaters again.

CaptinEO

I think rotating them out means they wouldnt flop, bring it back for a month at a time like Soarin Over California. Anything is better than an empty theater!

BuddyThomas

Would you want to see CS make a comeback for the California food and wine festival, like Soarin over California does?

If you think about it, this shouldn't be a challenge. Load the soundtrack, cover the windows of the show buildings, leave the tunnels dim, and it's California Screamin'. Personally I think this would be a nice addition to the food & wine festival and would bring yet another reason for Disney parks fans to attend.

I'll also mention the possibility of bringing back a temporary retheme of Hollywood Tower Hotel, but this would probably be more complicated - although doable.

But what do you think?
I’m not sure I understand what a proposed temporary retheme of a ride has to do with a food and wine festival, unless they let you ride it with a glass of Merlot and a sushi California roll. Also. I was there recently and thought the current retheme was all sorts of fun.

PiratesMansion

Have you guys actually seen Magic Journeys? It is like watching a sickening sweet show on the Wonderful World of Disney but with really creepy clowns and a witch. It makes the Star Wars Holiday Special look Emmy worthy. I remember seeing it outside before the theater was built. It is definitely not up to prime time. All of these would have a line for about three weeks as the vloggers go in to make fun of it before playing to empty theaters again.

I've seen it in a similar context. I imagine it would be received similarly to EO on its last go-around, but we could do worse than weird rerun Disneyland in an otherwise abandoned theater.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I’m not sure I understand what a proposed temporary retheme of a ride has to do with a food and wine festival, unless they let you ride it with a glass of Merlot and a sushi California roll. Also. I was there recently and thought the current retheme was all sorts of fun.

It would add an extra reason to attend, extra celebration for CA culture. Disneyland is no stranger to temp overlays, they could do this without much headache.

PiratesMansion

Just wait until they build exclusive DVC rides.
Better yet, make all of the current popular, AAA attractions DVC only. Genie++ Deluxe Max.
nicksplat rugrats GIF

Disney's crazy, yes, but not that crazy.

CaptinEO

I've seen it in a similar context. I imagine it would be received similarly to EO on its last go-around, but we could do worse than weird rerun Disneyland in an otherwise abandoned theater.
EO Tribute hung around 3 years in Disneyland and 5 in Florida so it did much better than it's planned temporary run of a few months.

I'm sure the demand would 100% be there. MJ the Musical is doing amazing and won 4 Tony Awards, a biopic staring his nephew is being filmed right now. And people in California hadn't had a chance to see it in 11 years. The Electrical Parade is only gone a year or two before the parks drag its corpse out and people get emotional.

Surely the least they can do is give these shows a temporary run?

The fact the Magic Eye Theater, People Mover, and Carousel of Progress Building are empty is beyond sad.

PiratesMansion

EO Tribute hung around 3 years in Disneyland and 5 in Florida so it did much better than it's planned temporary run of a few months.
Per Yesterland, it actually ran 4 years at DL for Tribute-which is funny, because in my head it was around into 2015, which turned out to be wrong. So, given that it closed June 18, 2014, I'm actually a bit shocked to realize I only saw it at DL proper one time.
I'm sure the demand would 100% be there. MJ the Musical is doing amazing and won 4 Tony Awards, a biopic staring his nephew is being filmed right now. And people in California hadn't had a chance to see it in 11 years. The Electrical Parade is only gone a year or two before the parks drag its corpse out and people get emotional.
Well, it turns out it hasn't quite been gone 10 years yet, but I get what you mean.

That said, I think there's quite a lot more nostalgia for Michael Jackson and his music than there is for Captain EO specifically, which was treated by many people like an eccentric lost 80s short than a respected E-Ticket work of art that happened to feature the King of Pop. While I agree with you that MSEP nostalgia can be a bit tacky and overblown, it's also iconic Disneyland in a way that EO just isn't (I don't know that any 3D show would really be in that conversation, to be fair). Many people were baffled by the film when it returned for Tribute and I don't imagine people will be less baffled if it comes back now. I do wonder sometimes how many on here besides you and I genuinely miss it.

That's why I made the comment above that while I'd love for DL to try rotating the films in, I could also see it being a failed experiment. Magic Journeys and EO are probably too weird for many contemporary audience members.
Surely the least they can do is give these shows a temporary run?

The fact the Magic Eye Theater, People Mover, and Carousel of Progress Building are empty is beyond sad.
100% in agreement there.

SuddenStorm

Considering the space isn't being used, and the low staffing requirements, and how dirt cheap a digital theater is to run- I'm wondering if it wouldn't be hard for Eo to hit whatever attendance requirements needed to justify bringing it back.

Especially with Jackson's popularity sort of experiencing a resurgence- with MJ: The Musical on tour (I saw it at the Pantages a few months ago) and the Michael Jackson biopic film in production.

Do I think it'd be a smash hit? No- but I bet it'd experience modest attendance especially of rotated seasonally as suggested.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom