Original Poster
pixar-pier-night-shallow-hand-rail-disney-california-adventure-bricker.jpg
FM70832.jpg
night-avengers-campus-marvel-land-disney-california-adventure-057.jpg
goofys-sky-school-e1646382761247.jpg
grizzly-river-run-bear-disney-california-adventure-disneyland-1981.jpg
disney-california-adventure-genie-plus-lightning-lanes-disneyland-506.jpg

0c647c1b4b1a841d3e0a1d6542875829.jpeg
soft-openings-technical-rehearsals-super-nintendo-world-citywalk-universal-studios-hollywood-california-1391.jpg
hogwarts-castle-pavers-wizarding-world-harry-potter-universal-hollywood-los-angeles.jpg
18604678718_edd936b426_b.jpg
jurassic-world-ride-universal-studios-hollywood-los-angeles-california-345.jpg
secret-life-pets-off-leash-dark-ride-universal-studios-hollywood-los-angeles-california-782.jpg

Let's say that you have one single day in the SoCal area, and you can only go to one of these two parks. Which would you pick?
Both parks have thrilling rides, excellent themed lands, and overall rely on a fun theme park experience.
Which park is superior, has better rides, more fun, etc? Which is the better park?

mickEblu

DCA wins easily. USH has like three non screen rides. Now if the question was “a tourist comes from out of the country …” I’d take them to USH for the tram tour alone. They will have gone to an inferior park but they’d feel fulfilled in that they got a taste of O-llywood as our relatives from Italy like to say. Obviously I’d send them to Disneyland over USH though so it’s irrelevant.

Last edited:

Touchdown

USH is a movie studio pretending to be a theme park. It’s a curiosity but its Florida resort is a much better product. DCA is a pretty darn good theme park that suffers from being next to the best theme park in the US. It’s much better then USH, but not as good as IOA in Florida.

Ryan120420

Universal Studios Hollywood easily for me.

I look at it like this, which park has the most “must do” rides that I must ride each time I visit the park in order for me to say I had a successful day. For me its:

DCA:

Radiator Springs Racers
Incredicoaster
Mission Breakout

USH:

Forbidden Journey
Secret Life of Pets
Mario Kart
Mummy
Jurassic World

and in a little over a year from now you can add the Fast and Furious coaster to that list of must-do attractions.

USH just has more to do for me than DCA. I can easily spend 4-6 hours at USH and not be bored. At DCA, I find myself hopping back over to Disneyland usually after 2-3 hours.

J4546

Universal Studios Hollywood easily for me.

I look at it like this, which park has the most “must do” rides that I must ride each time I visit the park in order for me to say I had a successful day. For me its:

DCA:

Radiator Springs Racers
Incredicoaster
Mission Breakout

USH:

Forbidden Journey
Secret Life of Pets
Mario Kart
Mummy
Jurassic World

and in a little over a year from now you can add the Fast and Furious coaster to that list of must-do attractions.

USH just has more to do for me than DCA. I can easily spend 4-6 hours at USH and not be bored. At DCA, I find myself hopping back over to Disneyland usually after 2-3 hours.
grizzly and soarin are must dos as well imo, and secret life of pets not so much imo. But I agree the fnf coaster will be a def must do. Also I thought mk was a let down and forbidden journey makes me sick so dca is the winner for me.

Professortango1

The Mummy isn't great, but its better than Baby on Sticks. Radiator Springs Racers is better than anything at USH. But Transformers is a better version of Mission BO. Jurassic World is better than GRR. Forbidden Journey is great and DCA doesn't have any dark ride like that. Secret Life of Pets is far better than Mike and Sully. The rest is a wash. So, USH does squeak by. DCA really needs a Disney-level dark ride or two. The park's only remaining solid E-ticket for me is Radiator Springs. The rest just feel cheap and like they are missing something.

DCA wins easily. USH has like three non screen rides. Now if the question was “a tourist comes from out of the country …” I’d take them to USH for the tram tour alone. They will have gone to an inferior park but they’d feel fulfilled in that they got a taste of O-llywood as our relatives from Italy like to say. Obviously I’d send them to Disneyland over USH though so it’s irrelevant.
Technically USH has 6 non-screen rides (Mummy, Forbidden Journey, Hippogriff, Pets, Jurassic Park, Studio Tour) and 4 screen rides (Simpsons, technically Kung Fu Panda, Transformers, Minions). Mario Kart is an E ticket, completely unique experience and I don’t really think it’s fair to lump in with the “screen rides”. They’re building a new FF coaster and will replace Simpsons with a non-screen ride in the next decade. USH also has killer shows. California Adventure is a mess of theming and it’s impossible to ride anything without Genie anymore, so at this point I’d say USH is a vastly superior experience for an average park goer.

mickEblu

Technically USH has 6 non-screen rides (Mummy, Forbidden Journey, Hippogriff, Pets, Jurassic Park, Studio Tour) and 4 screen rides (Simpsons, technically Kung Fu Panda, Transformers, Minions). Mario Kart is an E ticket, completely unique experience and I don’t really think it’s fair to lump in with the “screen rides”. They’re building a new FF coaster and will replace Simpsons with a non-screen ride in the next decade. USH also has killer shows. California Adventure is a mess of theming and it’s impossible to ride anything without Genie anymore, so at this point I’d say USH is a vastly superior experience for an average park goer.

Oh I was exaggerating and just speaking to my perception of the park. If I didn’t live by USH i so wouldn’t think it was worth driving more than 40 min to more than once a year. I can’t say the same for DCA (even minus DL).

My go to rides at USH are Jurassic World, Potter and the Mummy. The tram Tour isn’t something you can do every trip and Mario Kart is tough to get on still. I wasn’t including Mario Kart as a screen ride. I like it even if I’m disappointed with what we got vs the potential I thought the concept had.

For kids under 40 inches they have a grand total of 3 rides they can ride at USH. The tram, SLOP and the spinner ride by Despicable Me. So pretty sad for families with young ones. But young ones aside DCA is a much better park than USH IMO. You have vistas, great scenery and actual themed lands that have great scale although the view of the golf course from the escalators at USH is nice. The two best lands at USH are both cramped and don’t have the best layout. The rest of the lands are unthemed or gaudy (Simpsons). It’s not even close IMO. DCA is a much better park. The one nod you can give USH is that it’s Top 5 attractions are probably better than DCA’s Top 5 but then I’m not sure how much that means because I think DCA has a better Top 3.

Killer shows? There is only one left - Water World.

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

At this point, DCA has only one must do for me: RSR. I suppose if I had a number two, it would be Guardians. Everything else is whatever to me at this point, with one too many inferior/mediocre replacements of things I used to love. I started one day of my October trip at DCA and honestly struggled to fill the time until the first Coco performance was underway and I felt like I could finally leave. Given that Disney itself doesn't seem to know what the park is or is going to be in the future, that's the overwhelming feeling I experience there: indifference. It's hard for me to care if they don't really care either. Say what you will about the many changes of Disneyland, but there are clearly people working at TDA and Imagineering that know, understand, and care about what Disneyland is. Not so across the Esplanade, where DCA remains a confused mess of a layout; of halfhearted attempts to mimic the essence of other, better parks on a budget, rather than on a proper Disney budget; of IP thrown around haphazardly because they can rather than because they should. I understand why most people here would prefer DCA (after all, this isn't a Universal board), but I think it gets a pass for a lot of things in comparison to USH simply because it's Disney and is essentially next door to the one of the best parks in existence. If it wasn't across the street from Disneyland, and they had built the park as it exists now in Long Beach (not that that was ever proposed, but go with me for a second here), would it honestly be better regarded than USH? I doubt it.

By contrast, USH knows exactly what it is and what it's working towards. Universal has a vibe, an identity; it may not work for everyone, but the point is that at the end of the day, it has one, and that does so much to improve the final product IMO. I get a lot of enjoyment out of Mario Kart, Mummy, Jurassic World, the Tram Tour, and SLOP. The USH layout, while nothing amazing, is much less frustrating to me to actually use to get around (I suppose some might find the separation between the upper and lower lots annoying, but you get some great scenery out of it, and if you're unable to appreciate the magnificence that is Escalatorland, that's on you). Not everything is perfect at USH (particularly their weirdly, deliberately noninclusive approach to restraint design), but I'd take it in a heartbeat over DCA.

EPCOTCenterLover

At this point, DCA has only one must do for me: RSR. I suppose if I had a number two, it would be Guardians. Everything else is whatever to me at this point, with one too many inferior/mediocre replacements of things I used to love. I started one day of my October trip at DCA and honestly struggled to fill the time until the first Coco performance was underway and I felt like I could finally leave. Given that Disney itself doesn't seem to know what the park is or is going to be in the future, that's the overwhelming feeling I experience there: indifference. It's hard for me to care if they don't really care either. Say what you will about the many changes of Disneyland, but there are clearly people working at TDA and Imagineering that know, understand, and care about what Disneyland is. Not so across the Esplanade, where DCA remains a confused mess of a layout; of halfhearted attempts to mimic the essence of other, better parks on a budget, rather than on a proper Disney budget; of IP thrown around haphazardly because they can rather than because they should. I understand why most people here would prefer DCA (after all, this isn't a Universal board), but I think it gets a pass for a lot of things in comparison to USH simply because it's Disney and is essentially next door to the one of the best parks in existence. If it wasn't across the street from Disneyland, and they had built the park as it exists now in Long Beach (not that that was ever proposed, but go with me for a second here), would it honestly be better regarded than USH? I doubt it.
Perfectly summed up description of DCA at this point in time. I won't go back until they build a few things that are just irresistible. So, maybe never. ;)

Professortango1

Perfectly summed up description of DCA at this point in time. I won't go back until they build a few things that are just irresistible. So, maybe never. ;)
I've refused to pay for DCA ever since TTBAB left. Mission BO was my final straw, but I wanted to give it a chance a few times. But not liking that with the loss of TTBAB and the ugly mess that is Pixar Pier, DCA just simply isn't worth the cost. Even with the $60 upcharge to park hop, I'm taking away time at the much better park.

I guess I'd pay a a flat $60 for DCA, but definitely not over $100. It just feels like a really clean County Fair. Exhibit halls of mediocre exhibits, a few tacky rides with IP painted on them, a few cute short shows. I need more "Disney" in the parks. And that doesn't mean IP, that means the quality that is on display across the esplanade.

Parteecia

My friend and I spent our entire visit yesterday at DCA and never went over to DL.

Granted, it was for all of the musical entertainment plus whatever was happening when we walked through Avengers Campus to get to the various stages.

Loved seeing Christmas Pizza Dog up next to the Quinjet.

mickEblu

2015 the answer would be dca no question. I know it always sounds so dramatic but they ruined the vibe of the park for me and I now have so little emotional attachment to it after all the poor changes

So all of the unnecessary reskins changed your perception of the park that much? I agree that DCA was its best in 2015… actually early 2016 was the sweet spot as Condor Flats had already been replaced by Grizzly Peak Airfield but you still had TOT and Soarin Over California.

IMO if 2023 DCA was owned by Cedar Fair and wasn’t 100 feet away from Disneyland, very few theme park enthusiasts would rank USH over DCA. If you want to talk attraction roster head to head then perhaps there may be something to debate but park to park it’s not even close.

J4546

I out DCA over USH. I really like Soarin, Grizzly, Ferris Wheel, Incredicoaster, Radiator, Gaurdians Tower and even the smaller rides like TLM and Spiderman. Great shows at Hyperion too as well as the parades and different food festivals....

USH has Jurassic, Mummy. Transformers and Pets are ok. Harry Potter makes me sick, MK is a big let down imo, and all the screen rides are boring imo. The Tram tour is great though. But theres only like 4-5 rides at USH I like

Professortango1

So all of the unnecessary reskins changed your perception of the park that much? I agree that DCA was its best in 2015… actually early 2016 was the sweet spot as Condor Flats had already been replaced by Grizzly Peak Airfield but you still had TOT and Soarin Over California.

IMO if 2023 DCA was owned by Cedar Fair and wasn’t 100 feet away from Disneyland, very few theme park enthusiasts would rank USH over DCA. If you want to talk attraction roster head to head then perhaps there may be something to debate but park to park it’s not even close.

DCA is the girl that is cute, but she lacks any personality and just constantly changes day-to-day to chameleon onto those around her. She feels fake and you can't talk with her. Sure, she may be a touch prettier than USH, but at least USH knows who she is and has a great sense of style and rapport.

USH is the "movie studio theme park." "Ride the movies." You go there to walk around 3-dimensional film sets upstairs, go on ride versions of the movies you like, get a little edge, and jump from IP to IP in thrilling ways.

DCA isn't going for that vibe. But they feel like they want to at times. You can't ride the Pixar movies. You can see the characters cheaply slapped onto Carnival Attractions. Something nobody asked for. Instead of a generic flat ride creating a sense of world-building and immersion, it now feels like its there to boost an IP without really having anything to do with it. That rift in the justification of the IP and rides is felt.

Avengers Campus isn't a place to ride the movies or see the locales we love from the movies. WEB Slingers is fabricated enviornment we have no tie to, is kind of boring, and we fight Spider Bots rather than anything we associate with Marvel and our love for the IP. Even Mission BO is a mixed bag. The building doesn't look like anything familiar to Marvel. Then we walk inside and see props and characters and callbacks to things we know. Then we enter the boiler room and it just feels like they threw a bunch of junk in there, including Harold. Does this remind of Marvel? Does is stand on its own? Its better than Pixar Pier, but it has the same issues. It wants to be to boast the IP, but also wants desperately to make the bones of a pre-existing attraction work. And it fits together as well as the seams on the new San Fransokyo Bridge.

Does Grizzly Peak feel like its in the same park as Avengers Campus and Pixar Pier? No. And not in a good diverse way, but in that everything else has these IPs hamfisted into them and bent over backwards to justify while Soarin and GRR just exist as pretty attractions. I do think they still lack the Disney magic spark as they lack their own identity, but I can at least appreciate the Thomas Kincaid-esque design of pleasant and unthreatening corporate art.

If Disney wants to change DCA away from California, then do it. But then commit to it. If they want it to be a studio park, then do that. Rip out the pier, Avengers Campus, and Grizzly Peak and put in lands inspired by IP worlds that we know and love.

But right now, I get why people would like USH better. I do. When I walk through those gates, I feel like the park knows what it is.

PiratesMansion

100%, yes.

It's not a secret that there have always been problems with the park. People have been harping on Hollywood for as long as I've been following this, Goofy's Sky School is still there, etc. There are clear things that, to me, would be incredibly easy to fix or replace with something else, or are at least extremely obvious as things to fix or fine-tune in the future. The trouble is that Disney invariably will let those things sit there and then mess with things that were perfectly fine.

It's the death by a thousand cuts for me. Nothing permanent in the Hyperion (and I wasn't crazy about Rogers either). Diminished Animation without the full Sorcerer's Workshop (and now getting worse) or zoetrope. Changing Paradise Pier and Screamin' into Pixar Pier and Incredicoaster. Replacing an area that was at least charming with a dull, industrial wasteland of a theming area with a ride that's essentially a glorified redo of a ride that's already in the park. Replace the magnificent, iconic Soarin' over California with Soarin' over CGI With Animals Throwing Sand In My Face. Monsters and Mermaid were never strictly my thing, but they're now harder to do because they've been unnecessarily added to Genie. Unnecessary food court makeovers. TOT to Guardians (a ride I actually like better, but can't argue is an aesthetic or thematic upgrade). The loss of other entertainment options (remember Goofy conducting the ugly WOC fountains during the day? The Red Car Trolley show? And so on).

And for what? Certainly not a better experience or better attractions in the majority of cases. Just more IP at the expense of the park feeling like a place, or having any cohesion at all. I'm sure glad Disney spent a billion to fix the park, let it be good for three years or so, and then spend a billion more to ruin the careful work they did to make it better. I can't help but wonder if all of these pointless changes that don't really add anything but more often subtract eventually catch up to the place.
Strongly disagree, and here's why.

Park enthusiasts are looking for one of two things: coasters or theming, with some consideration given to overall park trajectory.

To most enthusiasts, DCA's coasters are mediocre and not even that highly themed. At USH, Mummy is better themed and FATF is coming.

Theming-wise, DCA has some nice areas, but also a number of areas that aren't that great and a number of areas that are worse than they used to be, along with several offerings that either no longer exist or are also worse. That wouldn't be a reason for people to visit regardless of who owned the park.

USH has lost a few things that are nice, but none of them in recent years were things that most people really loved or felt were essential to the park's identity. Additionally, people hold Disney to a higher standard, in large part because Disney of old asked them to. That may not be fair, but it does mean that imperfections at USH are more likely to be excused because USH never promised them that level of standard in the first place. But with Disney, those high standards are a much bigger component of their entire brand and image than with Universal.

Last edited:

mickEblu

DCA is the girl that is cute, but she lacks any personality and just constantly changes day-to-day to chameleon onto those around her. She feels fake and you can't talk with her. Sure, she may be a touch prettier than USH, but at least USH knows who she is and has a great sense of style and rapport.

USH is the "movie studio theme park." "Ride the movies." You go there to walk around 3-dimensional film sets upstairs, go on ride versions of the movies you like, get a little edge, and jump from IP to IP in thrilling ways.

DCA isn't going for that vibe. But they feel like they want to at times. You can't ride the Pixar movies. You can see the characters cheaply slapped onto Carnival Attractions. Something nobody asked for. Instead of a generic flat ride creating a sense of world-building and immersion, it now feels like its there to boost an IP without really having anything to do with it. That rift in the justification of the IP and rides is felt.

Avengers Campus isn't a place to ride the movies or see the locales we love from the movies. WEB Slingers is fabricated enviornment we have no tie to, is kind of boring, and we fight Spider Bots rather than anything we associate with Marvel and our love for the IP. Even Mission BO is a mixed bag. The building doesn't look like anything familiar to Marvel. Then we walk inside and see props and characters and callbacks to things we know. Then we enter the boiler room and it just feels like they threw a bunch of junk in there, including Harold. Does this remind of Marvel? Does is stand on its own? Its better than Pixar Pier, but it has the same issues. It wants to be to boast the IP, but also wants desperately to make the bones of a pre-existing attraction work. And it fits together as well as the seams on the new San Fransokyo Bridge.

Does Grizzly Peak feel like its in the same park as Avengers Campus and Pixar Pier? No. And not in a good diverse way, but in that everything else has these IPs hamfisted into them and bent over backwards to justify while Soarin and GRR just exist as pretty attractions. I do think they still lack the Disney magic spark as they lack their own identity, but I can at least appreciate the Thomas Kincaid-esque design of pleasant and unthreatening corporate art.

If Disney wants to change DCA away from California, then do it. But then commit to it. If they want it to be a studio park, then do that. Rip out the pier, Avengers Campus, and Grizzly Peak and put in lands inspired by IP worlds that we know and love.

But right now, I get why people would like USH better. I do. When I walk through those gates, I feel like the park knows what it is.

So USH is better because it’s more consistent with its bland and/ or bad theming? So you’d enjoy DCA more if it all looked like the Hollywood Backlot? What do the well themed lands like Harry Potter and Super Nintendo land have to do with the Movie Studio concept? The Studio Tour is the only thing left that has anything to do “Movie Studio Park” Outside of that it’s a Movie Studio Park in the same way DCA is a park about California.

On the lower lot you have some small attempt at a Jurassic Park themed area with Transformers and Mummy in boxes and then an actual themed land in Super Nintendo. This isn’t a bigger mish mash than DCA? DCA is 10x more aesthetically beautiful than USH. You have vistas, waterfalls and great scenery in lands like Cars Land and Grizzly Those two lands are far greater in quality and scale than Potter and Mario. Peak. Even the pier at dusk/night is quite pleasant. The food is also much better at DCA as is the entertainment. Honestly even comparing the parks is a bit absurd. Which ride lineup is better can be debated but I’d still give it to DCA. I go to theme parks to walk around/ enjoy pleasant atmospheres and go on fun rides. If it has something decent to eat or snack on is a bonus.

Why people or some people prefer USH? Looks like DCA has about 2/3 of the votes on this poll. I get that DCA was better 7 years ago but I’m not letting that influence my opinion. I’m comparing apples to apples.

@PiratesMansion I guess this response would apply to your post as well. Again, I agree that DCA was better 7 years ago but that doesn’t mean it’s still not a better park than USH. Like I said earlier I think people view it a little harshly because of its location and because they remember when it was a better place but if you’re comparing Park A-Z to Park A-Z DCA wins by a landslide IMO.

Well I guess 2/3 of the voters on this poll disagree with your disagreement. Haha. Honestly I’m perplexed that USH even has 1/3 of the votes.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom