Cabins at Fort Wilderness

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
Looking for information on the cabins. We are seriously thinking about staying there this summer. We are Deluxe brats and LOVE staying at the Epcot resorts. With that said, we would need 2 rooms where ever we stay because we are a family of 6: Me, DH, DS18, DD15, DD3, DDinfant. Getting 2 rooms is NOT in our budget this year.
I would like to know what you all think of the cabins and where we should stay location-wise so that we don't have long walks to anywhere. I've looked at the map of the resort and it's pretty large, so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!

Mr. Moderate

I've stayed at most of the deluxe resorts this past 15 years and I'm a dvc owner as well. Lat August on kind of a whim, my family did a non dvc stay trip and went with the cabins for the first time. I have to say I loved it and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I found the resort a little confusing at first, but quickly acclimated myself and enjoyed traveling around the camp found in the rented golf cart. I definitely recommend rent a cart as the resort is pretty huge and while they provide a good internal bus shuttle that goes around the resort, the cart make life so much easier. I found the layout of the cabin good and the queen bed in the bedroom to be comfortable as well as the queen sofa sleeper in the living room. It was nice have a good size kitchen and the deck outside was great for morning coffee. We were in the 2600 loop which was close to the front of the resort and right across the road from one of the pools and laundry facility. Also the Trails End restaurant is classic WDW from the past and we enjoyed our meals there, especially the good, moderate breakfast buffet.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
I've stayed at most of the deluxe resorts this past 15 years and I'm a dvc owner as well. Lat August on kind of a whim, my family did a non dvc stay trip and went with the cabins for the first time. I have to say I loved it and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I found the resort a little confusing at first, but quickly acclimated myself and enjoyed traveling around the camp found in the rented golf cart. I definitely recommend rent a cart as the resort is pretty huge and while they provide a good internal bus shuttle that goes around the resort, the cart make life so much easier. I found the layout of the cabin good and the queen bed in the bedroom to be comfortable as well as the queen sofa sleeper in the living room. It was nice have a good size kitchen and the deck outside was great for morning coffee. We were in the 2600 loop which was close to the front of the resort and right across the road from one of the pools and laundry facility. Also the Trails End restaurant is classic WDW from the past and we enjoyed our meals there, especially the good, moderate breakfast buffet.

Thanks for the wonderful information! I certainly appreciate it. Was it quiet in the cabin? My daughters will be napping midday and I don't know what to expect noise-wise. Thanks for you help again.

Mr. Moderate

Thanks for the wonderful information! I certainly appreciate it. Was it quiet in the cabin? My daughters will be napping midday and I don't know what to expect noise-wise. Thanks for you help again.

It was very quiet and I found it a nice, relaxing way to do WDW. You have cabins on either side of you, but all you hear is the wildlife outside your cabin and no normal resort noise you usually hear, like the banging of doors, screaming kids running down the hallway, maid carts right outside your door, etc. I plan on staying there again in the near future.

BASS

I loved it as well. It's so different from everything else offered to be truly unique.

It is absolutely quiet. Quieter than any hotel. All the cabins are separate and apart from the others. The other huge plus, particularly with kids, is that parking is at the cabin itself. As a father of 2, the hassle of having to lug all the crap for kids (food, bottles, milk, diapers, diaper bag, toys, other miscellaneous crap, etc.!) from parking to the room at the resorts is a real pain and sometimes stressful. At the Cabin, it's a non-issue. That was one of the real pluses for me. Loading and unloading was a breeze. We saved a lot of time.

Also, it is stocked with a full kitchen and a BBQ (and tables outside) so you can easily get in a meal or two at the cabin instead of paying extra to eat out.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
It was very quiet and I found it a nice, relaxing way to do WDW. You have cabins on either side of you, but all you hear is the wildlife outside your cabin and no normal resort noise you usually hear, like the banging of doors, screaming kids running down the hallway, maid carts right outside your door, etc. I plan on staying there again in the near future.

It sounds so peaceful.... I can't wait to stay there! Thanks again!

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
I loved it as well. It's so different from everything else offered to be truly unique.

It is absolutely quiet. Quieter than any hotel. All the cabins are separate and apart from the others. The other huge plus, particularly with kids, is that parking is at the cabin itself. As a father of 2, the hassle of having to lug all the crap for kids (food, bottles, milk, diapers, diaper bag, toys, other miscellaneous crap, etc.!) from parking to the room at the resorts is a real pain and sometimes stressful. At the Cabin, it's a non-issue. That was one of the real pluses for me. Loading and unloading was a breeze. We saved a lot of time.

Also, it is stocked with a full kitchen and a BBQ (and tables outside) so you can easily get in a meal or two at the cabin instead of paying extra to eat out.

I love the idea of being able to park right up at your cabin. Also, the idea of cooking a couple meals to save money is wonderful!!! Thanks for the info!

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
Maybe someone can also explain the golf cart situation to me?? I am reading that you should get one and with a family of 6 traveling there it might make sense... a couple questions though:

1. Will my whole family fit on one golf cart?
2. Will my double stroller fit on it too?
3. What happens when I drive it to the boat dock for the boat to MK? Where do I leave it? Is there somewhere to park it?

BASS

If you can, I would ask for a cabin closest to the dock. We didn't ask, but we got one so close, that if it would have cost me .01 to rent a golf cart, it would have been a waste.

I can't answer questions 1 and 2, but there is designated parking for the carts.

MMFanCipher

We haven't stayed at the cabins, but we have camped at Fort Wilderness. We enjoy camping there very much! We walk everywhere
but with little ones a cart would probable be good. The buses are good too but you might have to wait 15 to 20 minutes for one. You can
rent carts from Disney, but you can rent carts from outside for cheaper. There is a cart parking area at the marina. Don't miss the
campfire sing along! Chip and Dale make an appearance. I enjoy taking the boat to and from the MK.

Last edited:

TDGMedley

I know you are asking about the cabins, I found it very large and the buses seemed confusing to me. But loved how peaceful it seemed. Have you ever thought about AOA resort. The only reason I ask was thinking they have two bathroom and cabin only has one for your big family.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
I know you are asking about the cabins, I found it very large and the buses seemed confusing to me. But loved how peaceful it seemed. Have you ever thought about AOA resort. The only reason I ask was thinking they have two bathroom and cabin only has one for your big family.

Yes, AoA is an option, but with carting around a double stroller, I know my husband will be in hell with all the bus ridding we would have to do.... I was hoping that at least having the boat to MK from the cabins would be helpful in keeping him sane. But I do like that there is 2 bathrooms. Definitely something to think about.

TDGMedley

Yes, AoA is and option, but with carting around a double stroller, I know my husband will be in hell with all the bus ridding we would have to do.... I was hoping that at least having the boat to MK from the cabins would be helpful in keeping him sane. But I do like that there is 2 bathrooms. Definitely something to think about.
Yes the double stroller is a killer. My husband was not a fan. One boat we took from the contemporary to the camp ground area was a very small boat and hard to get the double jogging stroller on. We used a double jogger in December and we made a quick trip in September and used a sit and stand stroller (baby trend) and found it easier. took less space and easier to carry on buses and stuff. traveling with a double stroller is not easy.

Goofyque'

We have 3 sons (grown now) and the cabins have been a family favorite for many years now. We love the quiet, and even more, not worrying that our family needs to be extra quiet so as not to bother the people next door. We have never found the need for a golf cart, just an added expense that never seemed justified to us. There are 2 bus routes, an interior loop for the Fort, and buses to the parks. Never have had too wait long for any of them. The boat launch to MK is very handy, and one of our family's favorite ways to arrive!

The kitchen is awesome, makes a quick breakfast easy on our way out. It is true that there is only one bathroom, but we use the kitchen sink in the morning, and with a little cooperation is easy to manage. The kids love the cabin, so cute and well appointed.

We are heading there in May, with the sons, their wives (who were so excited about the cabins last trip!) and the grands!

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
Yes the double stroller is a killer. My husband was not a fan. One boat we took from the contemporary to the camp ground area was a very small boat and hard to get the double jogging stroller on. We used a double jogger in December and we made a quick trip in September and used a sit and stand stroller (baby trend) and found it easier. took less space and easier to carry on buses and stuff. traveling with a double stroller is not easy.

I would love to the sit and stand, but I worry that my 3 year old will get tired and want to sit down.... Hopefully in about 2 years we'll be able to bring the sit and stand and not have to worry about carting around a big double stroller. This is the main reason we love the EPCOT resort area, because we can walk to two out of the four parks.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
We have 3 sons (grown now) and the cabins have been a family favorite for many years now. We love the quiet, and even more, not worrying that our family needs to be extra quiet so as not to bother the people next door. We have never found the need for a golf cart, just an added expense that never seemed justified to us. There are 2 bus routes, an interior loop for the Fort, and buses to the parks. Never have had too wait long for any of them. The boat launch to MK is very handy, and one of our family's favorite ways to arrive!

The kitchen is awesome, makes a quick breakfast easy on our way out. It is true that there is only one bathroom, but we use the kitchen sink in the morning, and with a little cooperation is easy to manage. The kids love the cabin, so cute and well appointed.

We are heading there in May, with the sons, their wives (who were so excited about the cabins last trip!) and the grands!

Wow! Thanks for that. I love the positivity about the buses and how you managed with only 1 bathroom. I think we would all just make-do and not care about the little things seeing as though we're in DISNEY!!! And recommendations on which loop to stay in?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
You have two teenagers. Will they be willing to share the sleeper sofa in the living room? The bedroom in the renovated cabins have a queen bed and a bunk bed. The bunk bed will be fine for your three year old daughter, but probably a little small for your 15 year old. The cabins are moderate level resorts and I don't believe they include a Graco pack and play, like the DVC villas. The bedroom is very tight, which will make placement of the crib an issue. Plus, the bathroom has only one sink and it will be a challenge for 5 people to share, two of them teenagers. Disney has completely changed the kitchen in renovating the cabins. Gone is the full range...you now have a two burner cook top and a convection microwave.

Yes, you can park right at your cabin. But rent a golf cart to get around the resort...there's a spot to also park, and charge, your cart. Reserve it in advance as they go quickly.

I would check out videos (Allears.net channel on YouTube is a great source) of the cabins. Yes they are advertised to sleep 6, but I think Disney means parents, two kids and grandparents. You might find it a little tight for your family.

All Star Music has 25 family suites. They merged two rooms into a suite. So you have a living room area with a pull out sofa, sleeper chair, TWO bathrooms, and a small kitchenette with frig, sink, microwave and coffee maker. What they did was cut an opening between two rooms, turn one into a bedroom with a door, took the remainder of that room and made the kitchenette (and it's big). Or you could try one of the family suites at AoA. Bedroom with bath for the parents and plenty of sleeping areas for the kids, with a second bath. And a small kitchenette.

Good luck!

Addition: The cabins are basically a one bedroom single wide trailer. And I believe they each have their own small hot water heater, which may be an issue if your teenagers take showers like my daughter does (hot and long). We stayed in a cabin before Disney started renovations. 4 adults - me, my daughter, her boyfriend and her best friend from high school. At that time, the bed in the bedroom was a double and my daughter's very tall boyfriend had to sleep at an angle to fit, so only one person in the bed. My daughter and her friend took the bunks and she said they weren't really meant for an adult. I took the then Murphy bed in the living room, since I'd be the one up early to make breakfast. And after those three took showers, I had to wait about 30 minutes for hot water. So consider that in your planning.

Last edited:

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
You have two teenagers. Will they be willing to share the sleeper sofa in the living room? The bedroom in the renovated cabins have a queen bed and a bunk bed. The bunk bed will be fine for your three year old daughter, but probably a little small for your 15 year old. The cabins are moderate level resorts and I don't believe they include a Graco pack and play, like the DVC villas. The bedroom is very tight, which will make placement of the crib an issue. Plus, the bathroom has only one sink and it will be a challenge for 5 people to share, two of them teenagers. Disney has completely changed the kitchen in renovating the cabins. Gone is the full range...you now have a two burner cook top and a convection microwave.

Yes, you can park right at your cabin. But rent a golf cart to get around the resort...there's a spot to also park, and charge, your cart. Reserve it in advance as they go quickly.

I would check out videos (Allears.net channel on YouTube is a great source) of the cabins. Yes they are advertised to sleep 6, but I think Disney means parents, two kids and grandparents. You might find it a little tight for your family.

All Star Music has 25 family suites. They merged two rooms into a suite. So you have a living room area with a pull out sofa, sleeper chair, TWO bathrooms, and a small kitchenette with frig, sink, microwave and coffee maker. What they did was cut an opening between two rooms, turn one into a bedroom with a door, took the remainder of that room and made the kitchenette (and it's big). Or you could try one of the family suites at AoA. Bedroom with bath for the parents and plenty of sleeping areas for the kids, with a second bath. And a small kitchenette.

Good luck!

Addition: The cabins are basically a one bedroom single wide trailer. And I believe they each have their own small hot water heater, which may be an issue if your teenagers take showers like my daughter does (hot and long). We stayed in a cabin before Disney started renovations. 4 adults - me, my daughter, her boyfriend and her best friend from high school. At that time, the bed in the bedroom was a double and my daughter's very tall boyfriend had to sleep at an angle to fit, so only one person in the bed. My daughter and her friend took the bunks and she said they weren't really meant for an adult. I took the then Murphy bed in the living room, since I'd be the one up early to make breakfast. And after those three took showers, I had to wait about 30 minutes for hot water. So consider that in your planning.

This is all good information to take into consideration. My husband refuses to stay at the All Star resorts (like I said, we're Deluxe brats). We don't really know about sleeping arrangements. Could go one of two ways: 1) hubby and I sleep in living room with baby and the 3 older kids take the bedroom or 2) hubby and I sleep in bedroom with 3 year old and 15 year old... Last time we all went the older kids (DS16 & DD14 at the time of trip) slept on the pullout in the living room in a 1 bedroom villa at Boardwalk. As long as they know what to expect they can chose to stay home if they don't like the sleeping arrangements (which I doubt they'll do). They comfortability is important to us, but not wanting to sleep in the same bed is a moot point for us- they'll just have to deal if they want to go to Disney with us.
I do worry about the shower and it having only one bathroom.... I shower during the kids naps (when we're there), hubby usually showers in the am before we leave for park and kids are nighttime showerers. Hopefully with this kind of schedule we should be ok.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
This is all good information to take into consideration. My husband refuses to stay at the All Star resorts (like I said, we're Deluxe brats). We don't really know about sleeping arrangements. Could go one of two ways: 1) hubby and I sleep in living room with baby and the 3 older kids take the bedroom or 2) hubby and I sleep in bedroom with 3 year old and 15 year old... Last time we all went the older kids (DS16 & DD14 at the time of trip) slept on the pullout in the living room in a 1 bedroom villa at Boardwalk. As long as they know what to expect they can chose to stay home if they don't like the sleeping arrangements (which I doubt they'll do). They comfortability is important to us, but not wanting to sleep in the same bed is a moot point for us- they'll just have to deal if they want to go to Disney with us.
I do worry about the shower and it having only one bathroom.... I shower during the kids naps (when we're there), hubby usually showers in the am before we leave for park and kids are nighttime showerers. Hopefully with this kind of schedule we should be ok.

Have you even asked them? I don't know too many 18 year olds who would willingly share a double sized sleeper sofa with their 15 year old sister...and vice versa. The sleeper sofas in the villas are queen sized.

Like I suggested, look at some of the videos of the cabins. The bedroom is really tight since Disney switched out the double bed for a queen and the closet is tiny, smaller than the one in a Value and a small dresser. The bed is against the wall on one side, meaning one person will have to crawl over the other to get out. While the renovated living room is an improvement and added more storage, Disney blew it in the kitchen by removing the stove and pantry. And if I remember, the hair dryer is in the bedroom, not the bathroom.

The cabins are not as spacious as a 1 bedroom villa, if that is what you are thinking. The cabins are a moderate, not deluxe resort.

MySmallWorldof4

My family of 6 used to always stay at the Boardwalk but we found our money goes further at the cabins. My kids are now 6, 9, 13 , and 15. We always get a cart. We love driving around the resort in it. We have also gotten a double stroller. We have my husband and 1 of the older kids in the front with him with the stroller. The other 4 of us in the back. My youngest sits on my lap. There is a pack and play in the closet in the bedroom. We also love that we can park right next to the cabin. It is now our go to resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom