Buying Property Around DL

jmuboy

Original Poster
When you look at Disneyland's need for support structure and backstage space around the resort had me wondering what the fate of the properties along Ball Rd between Walnut and DL Drive might be. ( The hotels adjacent to the M&F parking structures). These seem like PRIME property because of their proximity to the current backstage area of DL and the fact that some cast parking and support structures have already been puzzle pieced into the area on parcels of land Disney already owns. I would think that regardless of price DL would bite the bullet and buy up these properties. The way the layout of the resort isolates this area has to mean land values are lower than those on Katella and Harbor that seem to be getting gobbled up by Disney and other hotel property developers.

This also has me wondering where the new Tri circle horse ranch was built. Anyone know?

TP2000

Disney had a chance to buy several pieces of that land along Ball Road in the last few years, and passed. There were several vacant lots, and a large abandoned restaurant site that once had the famous Cattleman's Wharf complex on it, and Disney didn't buy any of them. Instead, hotel developers bought them up and have been building new corporate chain hotels on them in the last year and into next year.

My neighbor works in TDA and helps with some of the off-site support stuff. Disney already has a great amount of warehouse space in north Anaheim, about a mile or two north of the park, and some warehouses about one mile east of the park on the other side of the Santa Ana Freeway. Disneyland's costuming, decorating, warehousing, supply chain, and other support services all operate out of these large warehouse facilities across Anaheim. A fleet of trucks keeps the goods and services they provide flowing to/from Disneyland, DCA and the hotels. It's been like this for years, long before Star Wars came into the picture.

Many people don't realize that the northeast part of the city of Anaheim is a big warehouse and light industrial hub. It's very convenient to area freeways and major roads, and thus very convenient to Disneyland. And it's got much cheaper rents than anyone could get by trying to piece together random bits of motel properties immediately around the park. Disneyland doesn't need to worry about the land directly adjacent to it on Katella or Ball Road when they can just own or lease cheap warehouse space a couple miles away.
e-anaheim-dist-ctr-aerial1_204809.jpg

jmuboy

Original Poster
Disney had a chance to buy several pieces of that land along Ball Road in the last few years, and passed. There were several vacant lots, and a large abandoned restaurant site that once had the famous Cattleman's Wharf complex on it, and Disney didn't buy any of them. Instead, hotel developers bought them up and have been building new corporate chain hotels on them in the last year and into next year.

My neighbor works in TDA and helps with some of the off-site support stuff. Disney already has a great amount of warehouse space in north Anaheim, about a mile or two north of the park, and some warehouses about one mile east of the park on the other side of the Santa Ana Freeway. Disneyland's costuming, decorating, warehousing, supply chain, and other support services all operate out of these large warehouse facilities across Anaheim. A fleet of trucks keeps the goods and services they provide flowing to/from Disneyland, DCA and the hotels. It's been like this for years, long before Star Wars came into the picture.

Many people don't realize that the northeast part of the city of Anaheim is a big warehouse and light industrial hub. It's very convenient to area freeways and major roads, and thus very convenient to Disneyland. And it's got much cheaper rents than anyone could get by trying to piece together random bits of motel properties immediately around the park. Disneyland doesn't need to worry about the land directly adjacent to it on Katella or Ball Road when they can just own or lease cheap warehouse space a couple miles away.
e-anaheim-dist-ctr-aerial1_204809.jpg

VERY INTERESTING! I had no idea there was so much off site support already nearby to the park.

D

Deleted member 107043

If you think about the enormous span of land called WDW and how its 4 theme parks and numerous hotels and water parks operate in a network at distances far from one another I guess it doesn't seem too strange that some of DLR's operational infrastructure isn't nearby.

TP2000

VERY INTERESTING! I had no idea there was so much off site support already nearby to the park.

That's just the local day-of goods and services and non-operational departments. The real monster warehouse, where all the stuff it takes to run a giant theme park complex and house, feed, care for and entertain 100,000 or more people per day is located in Ontario along I-10, about 30 miles northeast of Anaheim. Ontario is the mega-warehouse capital of America, with a huge amount of cargo and products moving to/from the huge warehouse complexes there.

Disneyland owns and operates one of the largest warehouse buildings there, with another fleet of semi trucks moving thousands of tons of materials from the Ontario warehouse to Disneyland. The local media does a puff piece type article on this complex and the Disneyland operation there every few years. But Ontario is WarehouseLand for most American consumers west of the Rockies.

The warehouses go on like this for miles and miles in all directions. Disneyland has one of the bigger ones.
California-Street-Commerce-Center.jpg

Phroobar

The poor horses have a terrible commute every morning. They have to wake up pretty early in the morning to tackle the 15 and then the 91. Not a fun commute. I hope Disney is providing car pool services because Uber is going to cost those horses a lot.

SSG

The Norco ranch ties in with this recently finaled permit:

Permit Number: BLD2017-00668 Status: Finaled Map Info: 1313 S HARBOR BLVD 9005B (Back of House Horse Paddocks)
Description: Disneyland - Adventureland - BOH - New Accessory Building: 1,434 sf prefabricated horse stall barn with new slab with plumbing and electrical.

So the horses have a place on-site to relax between their shifts.

TP2000

The Norco ranch ties in with this recently finaled permit:

Permit Number: BLD2017-00668 Status: Finaled Map Info: 1313 S HARBOR BLVD 9005B (Back of House Horse Paddocks)
Description: Disneyland - Adventureland - BOH - New Accessory Building: 1,434 sf prefabricated horse stall barn with new slab with plumbing and electrical.

So the horses have a place on-site to relax between their shifts.

The OC Register had a great article this weekend about the official opening and public Open House for Disneyland's new Circle D Ranch out in Norco. And it mentions a smaller satellite ranch at Disneyland proper where the horses relax and hang out before and after their commute from Norco.

These horses live a very luxurious lifestyle! And the new ranch in Norco looks fabulous for them. http://www.ocregister.com/2017/06/10/disneyland-opens-new-circle-d-ranch-for-its-horses-in-norco/

tikiphil

The OC Register had a great article this weekend about the official opening and public Open House for Disneyland's new Circle D Ranch out in Norco. And it mentions a smaller satellite ranch at Disneyland proper where the horses relax and hang out before and after their commute from Norco.

These horses live a very luxurious lifestyle! And the new ranch in Norco looks fabulous for them. http://www.ocregister.com/2017/06/10/disneyland-opens-new-circle-d-ranch-for-its-horses-in-norco/

That link looks familiar - oh yah I posted it 3 posts up :)

Phroobar

Hopefully the horses will get a better ice machine that doesn't keep them awake at night. I hear their new pool has water slide for the ponies and a special hot tub just for the adults.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom