Buy some Disney Stock!!

WDW-Imagineer

Original Poster
I'm gonna be buying some Disney stock while its cheap!! 19.25 is the cheapest I have ever seen it. In fact, my father bought the original shares at 40!!

DisneyFreak

Market stabilizes today.

The DOW closed down only 17 and the NASDAQ only down 24. The S&P 500 was also down only 6 after being up for most of the day.

Good news America!

wdwmaniac

Disney buyback hurts stock

Media firm, Goldman buy shares from large holders; Goldman plans resale

September 20, 2001: 1:58 p.m. ET

NEW YORK (CNNfn) - Walt Disney Co. said Thursday it has repurchased 50 million of its common shares, through Goldman Sachs, from "significant stockholders" at a discount to the current market price.

In addition, Goldman Sachs (GS: Research, Estimates) has purchased 85 million shares of Disney from the same stockholders, but the New York-based investment bank intends to resell them into the market.

The news dragged Disney shares sharply lower, falling $2, or 11 percent, to $16.50 at midday on the New York Stock Exchange, breaking its 52-week low of $16.81.

Burbank, Calif.-based Disney (DIS: Research, Estimates), owner of theme parks, movie studios, and the ABC and ESPN television networks, said Monday that the company began repurchasing shares, using a portion of proceeds from its $1 billion bond offering to fund some of those purchases.

And the stock repurchase is part of a 386 million share buyback authorization.

Media companies' stocks have been under particularly acute pressure since the market resumed trading Monday following last week's attacks on the World Trade Center in New York and the Pentagon near Washington, D.C.

Many companies tend to roll back their advertising following a crisis, raising the possibility of earnings shortfalls for the major media companies. Viacom Inc. (VIA: Research, Estimates), which owns the CBS television network plus a stable of cable channels, and USA Networks Inc. (USAI: Research, Estimates) already have warned their results could fall short.

Disney, which operates Walt Disney World, outside Orlando, Fla., and Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif., also is vulnerable to the possibility of fewer vacation bookings to its theme parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom