I just noticed that this forum existed so I though it would be a good place to post about this project. I decided about a year ago that undertake building my own droid. I decided to try to build a full size R5-D4 (the droid that Luke's Uncle originally buys before it malfunctions). My main reason for doing R5 instead of R2-D2 is that I wanted to do as much from scratch as possible and R2's head just posed to many challenges. Besides the heads and the paint job the two are actually identical so I could eventually convert R5 into an R2. I am also maintaining a blog (http://dansastromechbuild.blogspot.com/) showing the build process, although the blog is pretty far behind. Here is how he looks after about year of off and on work.