Bugs and Mickey Under One Roof?

MKCustodial

Original Poster
Top executives of AOL Time Warner have begun exploring the possibility of a merger with the Walt Disney Co., the New York Post reported today (Wednesday), citing an unnamed source. The newspaper emphasized that the in-house reviews, which it described as "exploratory," have not extended beyond internal discussions within the company's own ranks. It observed that they "provide insight into where [AOL TW Chairman Richard] Parsons might like to take AOL Time Warner should he be able to right the ailing media giant's ship." Company spokesman Ed Adler denied the report. "What you're hearing is inaccurate," he told the Post. "There are absolutely no discussions about merging with Disney, either internal or external."

This was taken from imdb.com. Do you think it's good news, or even a wise move? Warner bought Hanna-Barbera, and I personally hate what they're doing with the characters... The ridiculous Cartoon Network comercials, deciding characters are no longer PC... Can you imagine a Mickey/Bugs ide at the Studios? :hurl:

ACE

Originally posted by MKCustodial
Do you think it's good news, or even a wise move? Warner bought Hanna-Barbera, and I personally hate what they're doing with the characters... The ridiculous Cartoon Network comercials, deciding characters are no longer PC... Can you imagine a Mickey/Bugs ide at the Studios? :hurl:

I'm not so sure I like the idea. I also hate what Warner is doing with the characters. Of course if Disney had control then maybe it would be different. I would like to think so anyway.

:wave: ACE

wdwmaniac

I think you are think about the CNN and ABC News Merger. This would create a 1.8 billion dollar new company. CNN- Parent AOL/TIME WARNER and ABC NEWS- PARENT WALT DISNEY COMPANY. Theya re in talk not the whole company. Anyway that would make a monpoly.

MKCustodial

Original Poster
Originally posted by wdwmaniac
I think you are think about the CNN and ABC News Merger. This would create a 1.8 billion dollar new company. CNN- Parent AOL/TIME WARNER and ABC NEWS- PARENT WALT DISNEY COMPANY. Theya re in talk not the whole company. Anyway that would make a monpoly.

If you read the article I quoted, you'll see it's about the companies as a whole. I took it straight from IMDB, so you can go there and check it out for yourself.

prberk

This was a legitimate news article, even discussed on CNBC tonight, but I do not think it could happen, especially with AOL Time Warner's massive legal and other problems these days that they would have to navigate first.

Also, I noticed that the reporter only talked about internal reviews within AOL Time Warner, not actual communication with Disney. I think it would make sense for all companies to look at their options continuously, so why not at least "study" things internally. It doesn't mean that it will go anywhere at all.

I do think the CNN-ABC News thing is a possibilty, but I still disagree with it. Michael Eisner has made it clear that he doesn't care about the news department, so who knows what will happen; but I think it is important. ABC News built a great and respected thing under Roone Arlidge. Still worth having.

Not to mention Paul Harvey... who is on the ABC Radio Network and still, at 80 years old, has more daily listeners than most other programs. He's still great! :wink:

JLW11Hi

I personally think that would be awesome, although Disney will never gain any control over Warner Bros. or hanna Barberra characters.

It apparently mostly has to do with the news programs. Althoguh in dream land, having the 2 greatest cartoon characters of all time "under one roof" woudl be sweet. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom