Buena Vista...What's the significance?

MrNonacho

Premium Member
Original Poster
I was wondering today, what's the deal with "Buena Vista"? So many things relating to Disney are called that, but why? What's its significance?

I did a quick search and I found that Walt Disney Feature Animation is located on Buena Vista Street in Burbank. Is this the original "Buena Vista"?

MrPromey

Originally posted by Angelique
I'm fairly sure the original Buena Vista is a town near Anaheim where Knotts Berry Farm is.....

:)

Actually, I thought it was after Buena Vista Drive which is either the name of the street that the studios are on today or the name of the street that the original studios were on. I'm not 100% on which it is but I'll look it up when I get home to be sure and let you all know... They also named a lake that in WDW. :)

Lhriangel

Originally posted by wahooskipper
I believe Mr. Promey is correct. Buena Vista Drive out in Cali. where the original studio was located.

Yes but I KNOW that there is a city called Buena Vista RIGHT next to Anaheim... Well I'm pretty sure...

I live in Los Angeles.. give me SOME credit LOL.

MrPromey

Yes but I KNOW that there is a city called Buena Vista RIGHT next to Anaheim... Well I'm pretty sure...

I live in Los Angeles.. give me SOME credit LOL.

Yes but I don't think that is how Buena Vista became a name associated with Disney. ;)

BTW, Buena Vista is also the name of a city in Colorado and there is a Buena Vista University on Iowa. :)

Lhriangel

Originally posted by MrPromey
Yes but I don't think that is how Buena Vista became a name associated with Disney. ;)

BTW, Buena Vista is also the name of a city in Colorado and there is a Buena Vista University on Iowa. :)

Hmmm way too confusing... *sighs* I think ... I would love to know which came first..... cause now I'm confused. LOL

BLAH too much thinking.. but I do know this.. that the names in Cali came before the names in FL ;).

MrPromey

BLAH too much thinking.. but I do know this.. that the names in Cali came before the names in FL ;).

Yep, I'm pretty sure that DIsney is who brought it to Florida. :)

Lhriangel

Yep, I'm pretty sure that DIsney is who brought it to Florida. :)

I thought that... but look at FL.. it's like a mini souther cali on the other side of the US. There is a Valencia, Hollywood, Orange County... it kinda gets confusing when you have lived in LA then go live in FL for awhile. People say things and you think.. Ohhhh California.. until you realize they mean in FL.

BTW I can't figure out where to look this information up about Buena Vista... LOL

MrPromey

I thought that... but look at FL.. it's like a mini souther cali on the other side of the US. There is a Valencia, Hollywood, Orange County... it kinda gets confusing when you have lived in LA then go live in FL for awhile. People say things and you think.. Ohhhh California.. until you realize they mean in FL.

BTW I can't figure out where to look this information up about Buena Vista... LOL

Oh, and don't forget Pasadena and Englewood. ;)

Before Disney, the area that we today know as Lake Buena Vista was pretty much nothing but swamp land and maybe an orange grove or two. If I remember correctly, at one time, letters that were mailed out from WDW had a WDW postage cancelation on them (I don't remember for sure though) In any event, today it all goes out with Lake Buena Vista on it. Since that's a relatively new area in the grand scheme of things, I would give good odds on that name coming from Disney. :)

As far as looking up the information about the connection with Disney, I have it in a book but I've got dozens of books on Disney so I wouldn't be able to tell you right off. I might have gotten it from the official Walt Disney biography. :confused: I'll have to look when I get home. :)

Lhriangel

Oh, and don't forget Pasadena and Englewood. ;)

Before Disney, the area that we today know as Lake Buena Vista was pretty much nothing but swamp land and maybe an orange grove or two. If I remember correctly, at one time, letters that were mailed out from WDW had a WDW postage cancelation on them (I don't remember for sure though) In any event, today it all goes out with Lake Buena Vista on it. Since that's a relatively new area in the grand scheme of things, I would give good odds on that name coming from Disney. :)

As far as looking up the information about the connection with Disney, I have it in a book but I've got dozens of books on Disney so I wouldn't be able to tell you right off. I might have gotten it from the official Walt Disney biography. :confused: I'll have to look when I get home. :)

***thread drift***

How is that biography and which one is it lol? I want to ask for it for christmas.. my Disney book collection needs to grow. I have the WDI book (it's sooooo good *huggles her book*) I still need the yellow Archetecture of a Theme Park book... I have the Eisner biography (which is actually decently written lol) but I don't have a Walt bio cause at the time I bought the Eisner one it was for a class I was taking at Disney. I'm compliling a list of books I want for Christmas for a christmas list for my family since they say they can never buy me books cause they dont' know what I want ... and cause I'm a bookaholic so I usually buy my own :). (I collect signed copies and am currently looking for a signed Anne McCaffery for my mom... I do have a signed Ray Bradbury.. I was going to have him sign my WDI book near his quote but my ex bf and I didn't want to stand in line to get meet him so we bought signed first editions of a few books.. hehe).

***end of thread drift***

MrPromey

***thread drift***

How is that biography and which one is it lol? I want to ask for it for christmas.. my Disney book collection needs to grow. I have the WDI book (it's sooooo good *huggles her book*) I still need the yellow Archetecture of a Theme Park book... I have the Eisner biography (which is actually decently written lol) but I don't have a Walt bio cause at the time I bought the Eisner one it was for a class I was taking at Disney. I'm compliling a list of books I want for Christmas for a christmas list for my family since they say they can never buy me books cause they dont' know what I want ... and cause I'm a bookaholic so I usually buy my own :). (I collect signed copies and am currently looking for a signed Anne McCaffery for my mom... I do have a signed Ray Bradbury.. I was going to have him sign my WDI book near his quote but my ex bf and I didn't want to stand in line to get meet him so we bought signed first editions of a few books.. hehe).

***end of thread drift***

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=2WALM3OJV6&isbn=0786860278

I liked it. It's a pretty serious look at the mans life and even though everyone knows how it ends for the most part, you can't help but feel a terrible sadness in the last few pages.

In any event, you have to keep in mind that it is official Disney Co. issue so some aspects that would negatively reflect on him or the company are glossed over a bit (although not as much as one might expect). All in all I found it to be a very easy and informative read. I've also read a few of the "unofficial" ones but this one is probably my favorite. Because it was "official" the Disney Co. (and private individuals that knew him) gave the author access to accurate information that might otherwise not have been made available. It also has a section in the middle that features some glossy pictures of him as a child and a young man starting out in his career that were sort of neat. If you've been through the "One Man's Dream" at MGM and seen the movie, a lot of the pictures that they show both in the Displays and the movie are also in this book. :)

Lhriangel

Yep that's the one I've been wanting to buy :). I thought so but I wasn't completely sure. But now I know the author so I can just tell mom... or I can put it in an Amazon WishList and send it to her :). Hey I love books.. :)

I loved One Man's Dream even though I was kinda upset about them taking Walt's Office from Cali and taking it to FL.. that didn't rest well with me (come on I'm a cali native). The movie made me cry though. The exhibit was extremely well done. I wish I had had time to see it more then the few times I got to see it when I was in FL.

NoBody

Account Suspended
Originally posted by MrNonacho
I was wondering today, what's the deal with "Buena Vista"? So many things relating to Disney are called that, but why? What's its significance?

I did a quick search and I found that Walt Disney Feature Animation is located on Buena Vista Street in Burbank. Is this the original "Buena Vista"?

Back in the early Disney days, Walt used RKO Radio Pictures to distribute his movies. After Walt Disney broke off his distribution deal with RKO Radio Pictures, he formed his own distribution company. It is named after the street on which Disney Studios reside. Walt chose the name because "Buena Vista" means "Good View" in English.

wahooskipper

You know, I am surprised noone caught my mistake. Knott's isn't in Buena Vista, it is in BUENA PARK. I don't know if there is a City of Buena Vista. There is a Chula Vista.

I think it is ironic that Disneyland is in Orange County and part of WDW is in Orange County.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom