News Bruce Vaughn Returns to Disney as Co-Lead of Walt Disney Imagineering

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Basically, and the same number of cabanas, just more expensive.

And no. They went back to the old playbook and ignored what everyone else is doing. Sound familiar?
Yeah…it looks it.

Maybe they then redo castaway and up the game? They don’t need two of the same to serve their handful of good ship lollipops in the water…for sure

I constantly get spit at because I’m “always negative”…

…well often the problem is the facts are negative…in truth.

Maybe I should just take a vow of silence…as it were? 🤔

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It has a ver different style, not sure how it will be received, best way I can describe it:

Castaway = Polynesian
Lighthouse = Aulani
I see the architectural differences..:

But it’s not a hotel sandwiched between two amusement parks. It’s really just about what there is to do?

Castaway was great in its time…coco obliterates it

castlecake2.0

I see the architectural differences..:

But it’s not a hotel sandwiched between two amusement parks. It’s really just about what there is to do?

Castaway was great in its time…coco obliterates it
Totally. As someone who’s worked on the island I was asked more than once “what do we do here?”. My answer of “relax” usually just got blank stares.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Totally. As someone who’s worked on the island I was asked more than once “what do we do here?”. My answer of “relax” usually just got blank stares.
I was on castaway within a few months of opening…it was revolutionary for its time

I was on coco a month after it opened (before the plague)…it was revolutionary

Revolutions spin in the same direction…if you play the record backwards…it just sounds broken

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

"Relax" is the whole reason why I cruise. And with our kids getting older (not all of them are quite out of the teen clubs just yet), we make a beeline for Serenity Bay whenever we are there. It remains to be seen if LP is going to be able to replicate that. Hopefully it does.

Epcot81Fan

IMG_8989.jpeg
IMG_8990.jpeg

ToTBellHop

I was on castaway within a few months of opening…it was revolutionary for its time

I was on coco a month after it opened (before the plague)…it was revolutionary

Revolutions spin in the same direction…if you play the record backwards…it just sounds broken
Castaway was lovely when my kids were little, but now it’s Perfect Day at CocoCay all day, every day, preferably from an Oasis-class ship. Haven’t tried Icon yet but I’m sure we will sail her or one of her sisters at some point. DCL has jumped the shark for me. Wish was a huge misstep and they are building more of them…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
. DCL has jumped the shark for me. Wish was a huge misstep and they are building more of them…
…thems fighting words 😱

I have no problem with castaway

But building a near clone - if so - is more of this “management philosophy” bunk

“Our stuff is better simply because it’s us”

Hogwash…and not in line with Disneys history

People loved haunted mansion in 1969 and space mountain in 1975 because it was off the wall new…
Not just because Mickey Mouse skipped around on the path outside.

It’s lazy and tired for the excuse of saving on costs while charging more…and the worm seems to be turning

doctornick

Castaway was lovely when my kids were little, but now it’s Perfect Day at CocoCay all day, every day, preferably from an Oasis-class ship. Haven’t tried Icon yet but I’m sure we will sail her or one of her sisters at some point. DCL has jumped the shark for me. Wish was a huge misstep and they are building more of them…

On that note, I've got to say that I'm surprised they didn't do a mini water park at Lighthouse Point. When they announced it, they talked about all the land there and doing a more extensive water play options makes sense to me considering the DCL core demographics and also to differentiate it more from Castaway Cay.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
On that note, I've got to say that I'm surprised they didn't do a mini water park at Lighthouse Point. When they announced it, they talked about all the land there and doing a more extensive water play options makes sense to me considering the DCL core demographics and also to differentiate it more from Castaway Cay.
What move should have tipped us off that they have zero desire to go with a waterpark in the Caribbean?

yensidtlaw1969

…thems fighting words 😱

I have no problem with castaway

But building a near clone - if so - is more of this “management philosophy” bunk

“Our stuff is better simply because it’s us”

Hogwash…and not in line with Disneys history

People loved haunted mansion in 1969 and space mountain in 1975 because it was off the wall new…
Not just because Mickey Mouse skipped around on the path outside.

It’s lazy and tired for the excuse of saving on costs while charging more…and the worm seems to be turning
The Haunted Mansion was actually regarded by many as the first disappointment in Disneyland's history when it opened in 1969 - up until then things were only getting bigger and better as time went on, and Pirates of the Caribbean was a tough act to follow. The fact that Mansion was slightly smaller in scale than Pirates, had nearly a decade's worth of rumor-mongering behind it, and was essentially the first attraction to open without Walt Disney's full leadership led many to feel let down by the ride and nervous about Disneyland's future prospects.

It was heinously well-attended, with record attendance at Disneyland the week after it opened, but it wasn't quite the popular instant classic we'd imagine it was. Lots of high hopes were dashed when the thing was actually revealed.

Little off-topic, but worthwhile history.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The public - "We want something more to do than sitting on a beach and 2 water slides!"

Bob/Josh - "I don't see that in our playbook, so we can't do it"

RCL - "Hey, come see what we have! ;) "
Well yeah

But I meant they can’t even run the water parks they have in Orlando with 200,000 tourists on site daily

Think of all the “lost overhead” to do it for 5 hours a day with some Bahamians?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom