Broken Records?

tirian

It seems more and more apparent that certain folks take a considerable amount of time looking for negatives in positive news.

There were phased closings last week. Records may or may not have been broken. The parks go on and we'll have numbers and a bigger picture at the end of the quarter. That's really all there is to it.

Also before anyone says, "it wasn't news" (again), there are people here who are interested in how busy the parks are. Regardless of what others decide what is true in their tin foil hats, phased closings are a big deal to the average guest.

When I first saw the subject line, I though the OP was asking about people who sound like broken records, meaning that they complain all the time about the same things that never get fixed. I chuckled, then read the OP and felt stupid. :rolleyes:

Phased park closings may not break records, but they still represent healthy attendance. Tokyo Disneyland is breaking records this year, and many analysts say it might officially surpass the MK (although some have argued this has already been done). This all proves one thing: even in an economic recession, and even if people can't buy merchandise, they're determined to have fun at the Mouse's House.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Disney is a publically held company. Eventually all will be known :)

Not quite true. All major finances yes, major operating decisions, yes, makeup of board and key administration, yes. "Razzle-Dazzle and some final term research, yes, but just enough to let you know progress is being made.

Details of day to day workings, research and development rarely released publically for most companies.

jakeman

When I first saw the subject line, I though the OP was asking about people who sound like broken records, meaning that they complain all the time about the same things that never get fixed. I chuckled, then read the OP and felt stupid. :rolleyes:

Phased park closings may not break records, but they still represent healthy attendance. Tokyo Disneyland is breaking records this year, and many analysts say it might officially surpass the MK (although some have argued this has already been done). This all proves one thing: even in an economic recession, and even if people can't buy merchandise, they're determined to have fun at the Mouse's House.
Ha! I did the same thing.

I agree. While most of us disagree about the state of the parks, with both extremes being very vocal, it is a good sign that people are still going and still spending money.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Having returned home yesterday from a week at the world, yes it was crowded, especially after around noon. I was really struck by what seemed to be a large number of guests speaking Spanish and Portugese and visitors from the UK. Bargains must still be good from overseas (or from plans and payments made some time ago.

WDWFREAK53

I think it would be the opposite. If people think it's extremely crowded, they won't want to go on vacation there.

I think it would be in Disney's best interest to have people thinking that the parks are empty!

Think about it...wouldn't you be more inclined to visit if you thought you'd have the park to yourselves rather than a park that's packed like sardines?

Animaniac93-98

I think it would be the opposite. If people think it's extremely crowded, they won't want to go on vacation there.

I think it would be in Disney's best interest to have people thinking that the parks are empty!

Think about it...wouldn't you be more inclined to visit if you thought you'd have the park to yourselves rather than a park that's packed like sardines?

That's why no one visited in October 1971. The thought of big crowds scared them all away even when they were not even there!

tirian

Ha! I did the same thing.

I agree. While most of us disagree about the state of the parks, with both extremes being very vocal, it is a good sign that people are still going and still spending money.

...all the while, Disney (Rasulo) is claiming it cannot afford (he refuses) to invest in new attractions for WDW.

What happens when all the DVC members get sick and tired of the same things? :shrug:

WDW will always attract more visitors than locals, but the DVC is going to be a growing money-maker and thorn in the flesh unless Disney starts investing in the parks again.

disney9752

for MANY YEARS, especially before AK opened it was an annual event for mk, the studios to close due to attendance & epcot's parking lot close since it was full. It's not as often with all 4 parks but it has been done, it's just been a while since we saw it.:rolleyes:

SirGoofy

Something I think we can all agree on. There's nothing wrong with the parks being crowded.:wave:

...all the while, Disney (Rasulo) is claiming it cannot afford (he refuses) to invest in new attractions for WDW.

What happens when all the DVC members get sick and tired of the same things? :shrug:

WDW will always attract more visitors than locals, but the DVC is going to be a growing money-maker and thorn in the flesh unless Disney starts investing in the parks again.

That's the brightside of DVC IMO. I really hope the DVC members become the "locals" of WDW, akin to the locals of DL. The people who complain the loudest when things get stale and when Disney makes a kistake.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Disney is a publically held company. Eventually all will be known :)

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL: That is really really funny. As a guy who specializes in financial reporting and used to work for the SEC (the agency that requires and evaluates public disclosures), I can assure you, unfortunately, that something like attendance figures would not be a required disclosure. Perhaps it should be, but it ain't. Not even close.

Not quite true. All major finances yes, major operating decisions, yes, makeup of board and key administration, yes. "Razzle-Dazzle and some final term research, yes, but just enough to let you know progress is being made.

Details of day to day workings, research and development rarely released publically for most companies.

Ok, that was a nice way of saying what I said.

As Yogi Berra once said..."Nobody goes there no more; it's too crowded!" :hammer:

Arch Angel

Banned

I'm pretty sure the DVCer's for the most part are content with the way the parks are now otherwise they wouldnt have bought into it.

Now if DVC sales crash (which is highly likely) then Rasolu is gonna have a big (and by big I mean HUGE) problem on his hands.

tirian

I'm pretty sure the DVCer's for the most part are content with the way the parks are now otherwise they wouldnt have bought into it.

For NOW. That doesn't mean anything.

Now if DVC sales crash (which is highly likely) then Rasolu is gonna have a big (and by big I mean HUGE) problem on his hands.

You're right, because he's made himself look like a good P&R VP simply by selling timeshares. ;) But people do notice decreased maintenance and such; otherwise internet boards wouldn't be buzzing all the time.

DVC members tend to be big fans, and fans complain on online message boards, and...

jakeman

For NOW. That doesn't mean anything.

You're right, because he's made himself look like a good P&R VP simply by selling timeshares. ;) But people do notice decreased maintenance and such; otherwise internet boards wouldn't be buzzing all the time.

DVC members tend to be big fans, and fans complain on online message boards, and...
I've said it before, I foresee DVC to WDW as locals are to DLR. I think it will take awhile and the WDW Resort market would need to be saturated, which I don't think it is.

I would think there is going to be about a 15-20 year gap (assuming the last DVC at WDW is built around 2025 and the first bulk come up for resale in 2044-ish) where WDW will have to truly fight for the guest going to other places (even within the Disney "network").

The worst thing that could happen (in my opinion, based on really no facts), is not that people stop buying DVC, but they start going other places with their points.

WDW1974

I've said it before, I foresee DVC to WDW as locals are to DLR. I think it will take awhile and the WDW Resort market would need to be saturated, which I don't think it is.

I would think there is going to be about a 15-20 year gap (assuming the last DVC at WDW is built around 2025 and the first bulk come up for resale in 2044-ish) where WDW will have to truly fight for the guest going to other places (even within the Disney "network").

Considering that DVC has been around since 1991 (about the time WDW was putting the finishing touches on MK's last E-Ticket), I really don't want to wait for another few decades for the market to be sufficently saturated for DVCers to wake up and complain.

If I had been a member for even a decade I'd be having some issues with my investment (yeah, it's not one ... it's a pre-paid vacation points deal that's only a good deal if you would be staying in huge villas with things like kitchens and washing machines AND paying rack to do so) long before.

Imagine those folks in 1991 buying in and getting to see the same old stale night parade in 2009 ... while TDL with NO DVC (until recently you couldn't even use points for hotels there) is on its third night parade in same period (just to use a fair example of staleness).

I think most DVCer are sadly higher on the pixie dust than fanbois ... and I have DVCers in my family!

The worst thing that could happen (in my opinion, based on really no facts), is not that people stop buying DVC, but they start going other places with their points.

I agree. But I doubt you'll see that happen. Even now, most members use their points at WDW.

Remember what Walt said back in the 1960s when announcing the Florida project ...

~We have enough land here to build all the timeshares we can possibly dream up!~

jakeman

Considering that DVC has been around since 1991 (about the time WDW was putting the finishing touches on MK's last E-Ticket), I really don't want to wait for another few decades for the market to be sufficently saturated for DVCers to wake up and complain.

If I had been a member for even a decade I'd be having some issues with my investment (yeah, it's not one ... it's a pre-paid vacation points deal that's only a good deal if you would be staying in huge villas with things like kitchens and washing machines AND paying rack to do so) long before.

Imagine those folks in 1991 buying in and getting to see the same old stale night parade in 2009 ... while TDL with NO DVC (until recently you couldn't even use points for hotels there) is on its third night parade in same period (just to use a fair example of staleness).

I think most DVCer are sadly higher on the pixie dust than fanbois ... and I have DVCers in my family!
I agree that the time frame is fairly long, but how long did it take for the DLR locals to become as rabid as they are today?

With regard to the bolded statement, while I agree with your assessment of the program as a whole, it can be a value if used properly. I know it has been for my wife and me. Overall, if you aren't overly stupid about it, you can save money on hotel accomidations by keeping in mind your points per dollar amount.

People who buy into DVC at WDW today are probably happy with the product that is presented to them, yes. However, as has been demonstrated on this board numerous times, people think WDW is great the first few times they go, then most changes after that are for the worst.

I agree. But I doubt you'll see that happen. Even now, most members use their points at WDW.

Remember what Walt said back in the 1960s when announcing the Florida project ...

~We have enough land here to build all the timeshares we can possibly dream up!~
It depends. It appears that Disney is venturing away from the theme parks with their Hawaii resort and there have been rumors of a New York City DVC. If Disney expands their offerings outside of the theme parks (which they seem to have no problem doing) then the WDW division of the company would then have to compete with those other sites. This is just one plausible senerio I can think of. I don't think a majority of DVC members will ever routinely trade in their points for the non-Disney resorts, but I could see a significant number not going to WDW if the opportunity presents itself.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
If Disney DVCers really wanted to use their points for other vacations (outside of Disney resorts), they would have probably gone with Marriott or Hilton timeshares. Make no mistake that this is a fairly anchored population.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
If Disney DVCers really wanted to use their points for other vacations (outside of Disney resorts), they would have probably gone with Marriott or Hilton timeshares. Make no mistake that this is a fairly anchored population.

Actually, I use the old fashioned concept of discounted rates and cash :eek::animwink: And I should be considering a brain scan If I had bought into any timeshare as a legitimate investment.

But then what do I know. :shrug:

pilka214

My family owns both DVC and Marriott. DVC is just for disney and unless we use it on a disney cruise those points are staying on property 100%. and we're local. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom