Broadway shows At Disney world???

MacRtst

Original Poster
Does anyone else think they should have a "broadway" show at Disney world? Maybe downtown disney. I think it would be nice to see a show (longer than the ones in the parks)
Just create 2 of the same shows 1 in NYC and 1 in DTD.

Would it take too many people away from LaNubia

Just a thought...

disneytopdog

I think that would be awesome....Great place for it, Disneyquest building(they keep saying the place is closing)...I go to WDW more than NYC. The only 3 shows that ever came to Dallas were Lion King, Beauty & the Beast, & On The Record.

raven

Well if it were in Florida it wouldn't be Broadway then would it? :lol:

I think that WDW has entertainment that is equivalent to Broadway productions though. Being an Actor/Director/Producer myself I see many stage productions each month and take notes on things that I like. Finding Nemo: The Musical is probably the best mini-musical I've seen on stage in a while. It has many brand new stage effects that aren't even used in NYC. Aladdin at DCA is a great show as well!

I would think that if WDI decided to bring in a full-length Broadway-type of show onto the property for a lengthy stay then some of the theame park shows would vanish.

DisneyMarg

This is a fabulous idea. It would contribute toward Disney's ongoing desire to attract audiences of all ages. I don't think it would detract from La Nouba or from the theme park shows. It would be an entirely different "division" of the organization. There are plenty of crowds in Orlando to support another theater.

My favorite Broadway play EVER was Aida. It was just fabulous. We'll be in NYC in two weeks - so sad that Aida is closed.

Beauty_Belle

Wow, what a fabulous idea!!!! It would be perfect for families and cater to broadway fans. Even taking a show that has closed (like Aida or Beauty and the Beast), would be wonderful for disney could really "set the stage" and mood through out the entire the theater! I would love to see that happen! Not to mention, they have so many films that they could adapt for a staged version.
I have to agree, Finding Nemo: the Musical is fantastic!!! The best show in the parks and filled with a lot of wit (I would expect that coming from the Avenue Q writers). I would love to see what they could have done if they had a 2 hour show.

sleepybear

I have to agree, Finding Nemo: the Musical is fantastic!!! The best show in the parks and filled with a lot of wit (I would expect that coming from the Avenue Q writers). I would love to see what they could have done if they had a 2 hour show.

Just wait. It most likely will be a two-hour show. On Broadway, though. Disney seems to use its parks as tryouts for its Broadway musicals. "Beauty and the Beast," "Tarzan" and now "Little Mermaid" all started as shows in the parks. It wouldn't surprise me if "Nemo" did the same.

raven

This is a fabulous idea. It would contribute toward Disney's ongoing desire to attract audiences of all ages. I don't think it would detract from La Nouba or from the theme park shows. It would be an entirely different "division" of the organization. There are plenty of crowds in Orlando to support another theater.

My favorite Broadway play EVER was Aida. It was just fabulous. We'll be in NYC in two weeks - so sad that Aida is closed.

I was in that show a year ago. Sadly it didn't play as long as the others but it's one of Disney's gems in my mind.

MickeyJman06

Does anyone else think they should have a "broadway" show at Disney world? Maybe downtown disney. I think it would be nice to see a show (longer than the ones in the parks)
Just create 2 of the same shows 1 in NYC and 1 in DTD.

Would it take too many people away from LaNubia

Just a thought...
Beauty and the Beast, Voage of the Little Mermaid, Legend of the Lion King, and Finding Nemo-The Musical are all broadway-style shows
the only "more like to broadway show" is
Cirque De Soiel La Nouba:wave:

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Just wait. It most likely will be a two-hour show. On Broadway, though. Disney seems to use its parks as tryouts for its Broadway musicals. "Beauty and the Beast," "Tarzan" and now "Little Mermaid" all started as shows in the parks. It wouldn't surprise me if "Nemo" did the same.

Of course, you fail to mention that the Broadway incarnations of BatB, Tarzan, and from what I've read, Mermaid, were NOTHING like their theme park counterparts, with the exception of the fact that they were based on the same source material. They all had different designers, directors, choreography, etc.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
There have been rumors about a Broadway style theatre being built around Disney/MGM (Pixar:lookaroun ) Studios for awhile. I believe that the talk was for it to be a seperate ticketed event ala Cirque.

Just internet speculation I believe, but an interesting concept to bring New York style productions to the WDW masses.

tinkerbell88

To let all of ya'll know all of the big money disney broadway shows used to be in Disney World. They started there and then they got big. Disney still has shows like the lion king, and Finding Nemo.

Jungle Skipper

I think that is a marvelous idea...I would love having the opportunity to check out a full length broadway style show at WDW...I'm a theatre junkie, and that would be an awesome experience!

DolFan

Great idea, but it will never happen. I don't think that the broadway performers will be too keen on moving down to Orlando. Also, Orlando does not compare to NY in the broadway atmosphere. I love broadway shows but I don't see it happening in Orlando.

raven

To let all of ya'll know all of the big money disney broadway shows used to be in Disney World. They started there and then they got big. Disney still has shows like the lion king, and Finding Nemo.

The Disney productions that are on Broadway and the National Tours of those shows have nothing to do with Walt Disney World. They are a separate entity of the company. They were conceived by completely separate directors that had a vision of their own and came to Disney with their ideas. While it might be easy to think this, it just isn't the case. I have noticed however that the entertainment at WDW has stepped up their quality since these productions have been around.

DisneyMarg

I was in that show a year ago. Sadly it didn't play as long as the others but it's one of Disney's gems in my mind.

When you say "in that show" do you mean as "in the cast"? If so, that is just awesome!!! What part did you play and for how long? I think we saw it in 2002. I just can't believe it didn't become a major hit. It was so good. The music was wonderful. In fact, I was listening to the cast recording today. It's great exercise music. "My Strongest Suit" really gets me going!

raven

When you say "in that show" do you mean as "in the cast"? If so, that is just awesome!!! What part did you play and for how long? I think we saw it in 2002. I just can't believe it didn't become a major hit. It was so good. The music was wonderful. In fact, I was listening to the cast recording today. It's great exercise music. "My Strongest Suit" really gets me going!

Yep in the cast as Zoser short term. :wave:
725844554_l.jpg

I've often wondered why Disney doesn't set up some sort of permanent stage for their Broadway shows like Aida and The Lion King. It makes perfect sense to me too! (Along the same lines, how about a movie theater that shows the animated classics all on the big screen? I just saw Snow White on the big screen for the first time yesterday. Disney should have opportunities to see these at the parks the way they were meant to be seen!)

I saw Aida a couple years ago and it was one of the most wonderful shows I'd ever seen! The set, effects, costumes and music were amazing! Earlier this year I had the chance to see it again. I was so disappointed. They had completely changed the costumes and the set from ancent Egypt to some weird modern day hybrid complete with guns and people running around in suits and sunglasses like they were in "Men In Black." I don't know what they did to the spectacle that was what I loved a few years ago, but this new version is nothing compaired to the original (At least the music was still the same!) If they ever do turn Aida into a movie, I hope they use the original version as a blueprint!

kag1984

I too would love to have the Broadway shows retire to WDW. If they could some how manage to get several different sets to fit onto one stage and have a rotating schedule of what was playing each night... that would be just fantastic! AIDA is so far the only Disney Theatrical production I have seen and I absolutely love it and play the cd in my car all the time. But the part that get's me really excited is that I have tickets for the World Premier of The Little Mermaid in Dever (or as some naysayers might call it "out of town tryouts" :lol: )! So when I see that show I will definetly let you all know how it turns out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom