Boston Red Sox: We're going to Disney World!!

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Press Release Source: Walt Disney World Resort

Boston Red Sox Players to be Celebrated at Walt Disney World
Thursday October 28, 12:54 am ET
Following Historic World Series Sweep

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla., Oct. 28 /PRNewswire/ -- They reversed the "curse," so where are they going next? To Disney World, of course!

Walt Disney World Resort will paint the town (and the Magic Kingdom) red -- as in Red Sox -- Thursday and celebrate the World Champion Boston Red Sox, just one day after the team's historic World Series sweep of the St. Louis Cardinals.

Wednesday's 3-0 victory over the National League champs delivered the Red Sox their first World Series championship since 1918, and broke the legendary "Curse of the Bambino" -- placed on the team, legend holds, in 1920 when it sold "Babe" Ruth's contract to the New York Yankees.

Immediately following Wednesday's World Series-clinching game, pitchers Curt Schilling, Pedro Martinez and designated hitter/first baseman David Ortiz looked into television cameras and beamed the famous words "I'm Going To Disney World!" -- becoming the latest sporting champions to be honored as spokespeople in the world-famous Disney commercial.

Schilling, a gritty right-handed pitcher, dramatically overcame a dislocated ankle tendon to notch the Game Two victory. Martinez starred as the Sox' Game Three pitcher and Ortiz' bat helped power the team throughout the postseason.

After being whisked to Central Florida, a heroes' welcome is in store for Schilling, Martinez and Ortiz at the Magic Kingdom with a Champions' Parade down Main Street U.S.A. as Mickey Mouse and all his 'toon pals join thousands of fans cheering the Red Sox on their long-awaited victory.

Since New York Giants quarterback Phil Simms first uttered those now-famous words following the Super Bowl in 1987, 34 of the famous commercials have aired and featured some of the world's best athletes including Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, John Elway, Jerry Rice, Patrick Roy, Mark McGwire, Barry Bonds and Joe Montana.

Another "Beantown" hero -- New England Patriots quarterback and Super Bowl XXXVIII star Tom Brady -- was featured in the commercial in February 2004, the second time he has been celebrated in the "What's Next" spot. Brady's first starring role came in 2002 following the Patriots' Super Bowl victory in New Orleans.

With the World Series victory added to a Super Bowl win, Boston-area teams have now been featured in two "What's Next" spots in 2004. This is also a year of "firsts" -- as the commercial with the Boston Red Sox players is the first to be produced and aired in both English and Spanish.

lnsemsf

I think I'll just wait 86 more years and catch the next one, haha. Congrats Sox and Sox fans, you've earned it.

dzne4eva

What curse?

TODAY?! I wanted it to be Monday so bad because I was going to fly down for the day. It would have been so awesome to see my boys in my favorite place on earth. :cry:

I bawled when I saw that commercial this morning, chills baybee. Please can someone down there take pictures for us poor deprived Boston fans stuck in the North? WHEEEEE!!!

DizCraz

Bosox fan since I was 9 years old...

I would love to be at WDW today!!! My father is not here today to see this, but I have enough joy for the both of us. "Keep the Faith"

mickey04

OMG I never thought I'd live to see the day the Red Sox said "We're goin' to Disney World!" I wish I could be there, but I will be in Boston on Saturday for that parade. :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

I still can't believe it.

corran horn

Just got back from there. Very cool. Curt Schilling was there and it was great to see him.

Funniest thing was an entire family wearing Damon's long hair and beards. :)

WDWFREAK53

corran horn said:
Just got back from there. Very cool. Curt Schilling was there and it was great to see him.

Funniest thing was an entire family wearing Damon's long hair and beards. :)

Ahhh you saw some Damon's Disciples! :sohappy:

SpaceRacer2003

The funnier thing is the guy driving the Fire Truck with the family in it is one of the BIGGEST Yankee fans out there. It was rather entertaining to see him coming down the street in a Red Sox hat. :) :)

PhotoDave219

SpaceRacer2003 said:
The funnier thing is the guy driving the Fire Truck with the family in it is one of the BIGGEST Yankee fans out there. It was rather entertaining to see him coming down the street in a Red Sox hat. :) :)
We're working on photos. Walgreens wont give the free CD that kodak offers. Disney will tho...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom