Boma... Good Grief!! :-(

JimboJones123

If you have not been to Jiko, many, including me, would say it was one of the greatest meals ever.

I would gladly pay $50 per plate at Jiko, and this is from the same person that refuses paying more than $25 per plate anywhere else.

Disneykidder

I've always wanted to try Jiko. Sounds yummy.

We ate at Boma a few years ago and didn't care for it. The zebra domes were woweee zoweeee but the rest was just ok. The place was beautiful and out waitress was sweet but the food was not for us.

You could always hop to AK and eat there, see a parade and have a little fun. (Maybe it is EMH)

Magenta Panther

Going to be staying at AKL in October.

Land around 4pm at MCO so we should be checked in roughly 2 hours later.

Was going to book Bomo for dinner so we didn't have to travel anywhere. We ate there a few years back and liked it ok, but were not wow'd by it like most everyone else.

But Good Grief! $30.99/adult and $14.99/child!! :eek: :eek:

Plus tax and drinks and tip and you're talking $120 for a buffet!! :mad:

I certainly do NOT remember it being this expensive 4 years ago when we first we went. I do remember that it was just "so-so". Guess we'll have to leave the hotel and find somewhere at Downtown Disney like Ragland or Portabello.

Yeah, I wouldn't waste my money at Boma. When I went there, the food was interesting, but not all that tasty. Best thing was the roast chicken, which is something you can get anywhere. My fave place to dine at WDW is the Rose and Crown. Bangers and mash, mmmmm!!!!!

lighteningqueen

It was one of ur worst meals last Dec. Way overpriced and just not any good. They tend to let the dishes go empty and sit empty like salad so some of us never got any food as we do not like it. I will never spend that kind of money again and certainly not there. Now Teppon Edo is another thing.. Best use of 29.00 I ever spent. Plenty of food as well and you went away satisfied and entertained and not taken to the cleaners. Just my 2 cents worth..

dreamfinder

It was one of ur worst meals last Dec. Way overpriced and just not any good. They tend to let the dishes go empty and sit empty like salad so some of us never got any food as we do not like it.

Really? I have eaten there five or six times over the past years and have never seen an empty spot for longer than it took them to make more. Usually they were pulling dishes that still had some left to replace will full ones. If something was empty that I wanted I would step to the next "pod" get something from there, and step back and see a new dish ready. Especially since you can see the chefs prepping the dishes right behind, I have always found the food to be very fresh, especially compared to many other buffets I have been to.

lighteningqueen

My husband who will eat anything and likes things like Duck and wild game and any veggie said we were never going back. It is horrible. Unless you like that type of food, and do not mind to throw money around, there are far more better places. We gave it 4 chances.. So it is not like we just said we had a bad experience, it is consistantly not good. I waited for just plain salad and they never refilled it in 20 minutes. I did not get my 35.00 worth. Same as O"hanas, service is way down and the food was not so good, dry meats, and she never came back to refill our veggies not once and we sat right there at the kitchen entrance. There were 7 of us to eat off those little veggie and accompnyment plates and they are they same size they bring for 2. Actually we never saw our waitress again for over an hour. it was a girl. Last time there as well and we ate there 3 times before each time it got worse.I have seen other complaints as well on the boards about both of these places. I guess if that is what you are used to in your home town and the service like that then Yes, it is good. This is not directed to anyone just how I am wording it. We will not go back to either one of those even if the price were cut n half.

French Quarter

You have a really easy solution. Go to Sanaa. I'm not kidding when I say that it was my favourite dining experience ever at WDW. If price is a concern, you can eat pretty reasonably there and the view is spectacular. We also had one of the best servers we had ever had in our lives. We found the location to be a lot less busy than around Boma and Jiko. Nice and quiet and relaxed. We walked over to Kidani from the main building at AKL.

SeaCastle

We've eaten at Boma twice and absolutely love it, but we found they offered less choices than they did in 2008. The food is delicious, and there still is so much to try. I found I enjoyed myself more if I helped myself to a portion of every platter they offered. I'm a picky eater, so it was a challenge for me. But I'm glad to say that I tried everything there. Even if you're picky, there's something for everyone. It's well worth the money, in our opinion.

MT Disney Fan

Original Poster
You have a really easy solution. Go to Sanaa. I'm not kidding when I say that it was my favourite dining experience ever at WDW. If price is a concern, you can eat pretty reasonably there and the view is spectacular. We also had one of the best servers we had ever had in our lives. We found the location to be a lot less busy than around Boma and Jiko. Nice and quiet and relaxed. We walked over to Kidani from the main building at AKL.

Perfect! Thank you. :)

French Quarter

Perfect! Thank you. :)

I'm so excited for you! I'm glad you are going to try Sanaa. I think you'll find it to be a very good value and a pleasant dining experience. Be sure to look up the menu before you go and definitely get the bread service instead of appetizers. It doesn't look like much on the menu but it's incredible.

MT Disney Fan

Original Poster
I'm so excited for you! I'm glad you are going to try Sanaa. I think you'll find it to be a very good value and a pleasant dining experience. Be sure to look up the menu before you go and definitely get the bread service instead of appetizers. It doesn't look like much on the menu but it's incredible.

Should I make ressies?? Or can you just wander in?

French Quarter

Oh, definitely make an ADR. You won't regret it. Go for drinks first at the bar if you're early. That in and of itself was a great experience.

RooFest

Food' getting worse

we started going to boma about 3 years back.
we were always on the ddp, so we were more focused on the food not the price.
coming from a picky eater like me, the meat was delicious the first year and each year we went back, it got worse and cold?
i'm not a fan of the zebra domes that seem to be all the rage, they just aren't that appealing to me.
if i had to pay the price of a non ddp customer.. it wouldn't be worth it.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
If you're going to Boma (or any of the AKL restaurants), you have to be adventurous and not be expecting standard fare. Although, sadly, even Sanaa has added a glorified cheeseburger to their menu, sadly giving in to the pressure of the masses who refuse to try anything a little different.

For my money, Boma is by far the best buffet on the property, because of its variety and cuisine. Most of the other buffets are barely a step above something like Golden Corral (1900 Park Fare being the exception).

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
My DW and I just actually switched our ADR from Sanaa to Boma last week. I was kind of thrown off when I found out that Sanaa was more Indian inspired. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Indian food. Absolutly love it. But, we have great Indian restaurants 2 blocks from our house. We want to experience something more African, so we switched to Boma. Looking at the menus it seemed that there was at least more room to try something new there.
So, the question I have would be, does Boma truly offer "something different" or are they really just standard buffet fare dressed up to make it look different? I want something truly different, not just something made to please the standard "American" palate.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
My DW and I just actually switched our ADR from Sanaa to Boma last week. I was kind of thrown off when I found out that Sanaa was more Indian inspired. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Indian food. Absolutly love it. But, we have great Indian restaurants 2 blocks from our house. We want to experience something more African, so we switched to Boma. Looking at the menus it seemed that there was at least more room to try something new there.
So, the question I have would be, does Boma truly offer "something different" or are they really just standard buffet fare dressed up to make it look different? I want something truly different, not just something made to please the standard "American" palate.

Boma is pretty different, but not as authentic as Jiko is. But, to answer your first question, Boma is definitely not your standard buffet. If you're willing to try the different dishes there (and avoid things like the roast chickens), you can certainly make out well.

French Quarter

Sanaa is not an Indian restaurant. It has a menu that is inspired by the Indian Ocean region. So, the food you'd find there is quite different than what you'd get at your local Indian restaurant. What they serve is African food that has been Indian inspired. The restaurant has pulled its decor straight from Africa. You might still prefer Boma but I would reconsider if I were you.

mrtoad

I personally think the price is not bad at all and to top it off I think Boma is fantastic.

As mentioned by somebody else, I think most of the buffets are around the same price at WDW and Boma is definitely better than most in terms of the food.

The only buffets I think are overpriced are any of the breakfast ones. I think paying the cost they charge for eggs, bacon, pancakes, etc is too steep. I think the lunch and dinner ones are pretty well priced...

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Sanaa is not an Indian restaurant. It has a menu that is inspired by the Indian Ocean region. So, the food you'd find there is quite different than what you'd get at your local Indian restaurant. What they serve is African food that has been Indian inspired. The restaurant has pulled its decor straight from Africa. You might still prefer Boma but I would reconsider if I were you.
I know it's hard to elaborate on something "inspired by", and especially in food terms where describing anything tends to be subjective, but is there any chance I could get a little more detail on how it differs from Indian food in general?
I guess I'm just looking at keywords like Tandoori, Samosas, Paneer, Naan, that pretty much is what made us make the switch.
I don't think we'd be unhappy with either choice really.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom