Bob Iger: "We Don't Believe We Have A Pricing Issue At Our Domestic Parks"

zurj

Iger doesn't get it. His legacy in retrospect may be the man who destroyed Disney.
I think you're right about his future. After he's gone, if/when Disney ends up having a major setback, I think people will point the finger at Iger, and justifiably so.

I don't know if Iger doesn't get it or just doesn't care though. He's made a ton of money and made a lot of shareholders a lot of money... so I don't know if he cares about his legacy or not. He's only looking for short term gain, even if it comes at the expense of the long term.

eliza61nyc

My Three Sons . . .
Are they all living in the same apartment?
lol, yes and unfortunately they are very much what I call the "mtv" millenials. they want to live in a condo in Brooklyn, they can afford a small apartment outside of Temples campus. SMH 🥴
Iger doesn't get it. His legacy in retrospect may be the man who destroyed Disney.

How was Iger brought in? I don't know his history. So as far as "destroying" Disney I do think it's very much who you ask.
I think you're right about his future. After he's gone, if/when Disney ends up having a major setback, I think people will point the finger at Iger, and justifiably so.

I don't know if Iger doesn't get it or just doesn't care though. He's made a ton of money and made a lot of shareholders a lot of money... so I don't know if he cares about his legacy or not. He's only looking for short term gain, even if it comes at the expense of the long term.

Do you mean the parks or the company. There in lies the problem. You guys look at it from a "parks" view only. believe me, wall street and the share holders think the opposite. with his movie acquisitions and streaming platforms, it's a different ball game.

Once again you have to remember that there are thousands upon thousands of folks who don't give a flip about the parks who are making a nice chunk of change from his moves. He's the CEO of a company, that's his job. to make the company a crap load of money. So I'm not really sure what you think he doesn't "get" I do agree he does not have the love for the parks the way folks here do. I don't think they hired him for that.

Now every body quotes this "long term". what are we talking about? 5 year, 10 years, 50 years from now? the big unknown of course will be the economy. Yes a recession is coming but what will it be like. a mild recession where growth slows and the markets reset? or a repeat of 2007. a lot of folks are worried about the so called student loan bubble but the reality is no one really knows.

personally I don't think any thing Iger does is going to kill the parks, I think what will kill the parks is the over crowding. Now of course my view is from AARP ville but the folks I know will pay the price Disney ask IF and this is the big IF they have a good time. they will drop chunks of cash on little Johnny or Jane again IF they have a good time. people here have said they will gladly pay 200-300 a day ticket prices if they are assured of low crowds.

Isn't Iger slatted to be gone next year?

Last edited:

SteamboatJoe

If they were going to build two they should have built it in Orlando and Tokyo.
Orlando and Anaheim was massivley stupid.
Agreed. It's painfully obvious they were just following what Universal had done instead of thinking for themselves. GE clearly fit better at DHS. I also think they just couldn't swallow the idea of not having one of their premier franchises absent from the park in their backyard.

zurj

lol, yes and unfortunately they are very much what I call the "mtv" millenials. they want to live in a condo in Brooklyn, they can afford a small apartment outside of Temples campus. SMH 🥴

How was Iger brought in? I don't know his history. So as far as "destroying" Disney I do think it's very much who you ask.

Do you mean the parks or the company. There in lies the problem. You guys look at it from a "parks" view only. believe me, wall street and the share holders think the opposite. with his movie acquisitions and streaming platforms, it's a different ball game.

Once again you have to remember that there are thousands upon thousands of folks who don't give a flip about the parks who are making a nice chunk of change from his moves. He's the CEO of a company, that's his job. to make the company a crap load of money. So I'm not really sure what you think he doesn't "get" I do agree he does not have the love for the parks the way folks here do. I don't think they hired him for that.

Now every body quotes this "long term". what are we talking about? 5 year, 10 years, 50 years from now? the big unknown of course will be the economy. Yes a recession is coming but what will it be like. a mild recession where growth slows and the markets reset? or a repeat of 2007. a lot of folks are worried about the so called student loan bubble but the reality is no one really knows.

personally I don't think any thing Iger does is going to kill the parks, I think what will kill the parks is the over crowding. Now of course my view is from AARP ville but the folks I know will pay the price Disney ask IF and this is the big IF they have a good time. they will drop chunks of cash on little Johnny or Jane again IF they have a good time. people here have said they will gladly pay 200-300 a day ticket prices if they are assured of low crowds.

Isn't Iger slatted to be gone next year?
You're probably right. I do tend to make the parks my entire view of Disney as opposed to just a part of the company. But I'd argue that the most loyal/fanatical Disney fans are the parks people like us. And looking at the company as a whole, I think they are in more trouble than you're giving them credit for:

Marvel- They can't ride this train forever, but this does continue to be a huge money maker for them. These movies have been extremely popular. Of course I may be wrong, but I think the most recent Avengers movie was the crescendo for the franchise, and will start to decline in popularity/profitability.

Star Wars- I think it's obvious there are major problems with this franchise. From franchise fatigue, to the die-hards just not buying what they are selling with the new stuff.

Pixar- I love me some Pixar films, but they've got to quit with all these sequels and get back to original content. They need to come up with some original ideas like Coco. They have become, "Well this movie was popular, so just make another one of those."

Disney Animation Studios- They had been in a renaissance beginning with Princess and the Frog through Moana I think, but now I think they are in trouble really ever since Gigantic was cancelled. They are going the way of Pixar, and starting to only make sequels. The last two movies (Frozen 2 and Wreck It Ralph 2) aren't original. The only other time I can remember Disney Animation making a theatrical release that was a sequel (not including those lame direct to video sequels) was The Rescuers Down Under.

ESPN- Major problems. Paid waaaaaaayyy too much for the rights to certain leagues, etc. and now cable subscriptions are way down. Now they are basically going to give away ESPN+ in the Disney/Hulu package just to hopefully get some viewers.

FOX- I think they significantly overpaid for this acquisition. Major mistake by Disney in my opinion. I don't see them making their money back on this one.

Goofyernmost

I'm not sure that is true, but time will tell, I guess. In the meantime, he will be on his island, counting his many piles of money and not giving a single damn about what happens to Disney, good or bad. Some units of Disney may fail, but it is pretty unlikely that unless something happens that stops people from wanting to be entertained it will go under. His legacy will be one of... "if it wasn't for Iger Disney would have been cut up and sold in sections a long time ago". I amazes me that so many people that have never run a company the size of Disney seem to know exactly what is beneficial or detrimental to that business. We just don't know and many of us cannot even balance a check book, (not that we have to anymore), much less have a clue.

Goofyernmost

I do agree with this. I didn't understand that move
I see it as the good old... "Rip the bandage off quickly, so it hurts less" system. The mistake was in not investing over the last decade, not the construction in every park problem. That is a side affect of the first thing. With all that is going on, if all they have had is a slip of 3% it is hard to see that as a huge problem.

Anders Limpar

Don't they realize you can appeal to the first timers who are willing to pay whatever while not alienating the loyal fans who have gone to the parks for decades and still make boatloads of money.

eliza61nyc

You're probably right. I do tend to make the parks my entire view of Disney as opposed to just a part of the company. But I'd argue that the most loyal/fanatical Disney fans are the parks people like us. And looking at the company as a whole, I think they are in more trouble than you're giving them credit for:

Marvel- They can't ride this train forever, but this does continue to be a huge money maker for them. These movies have been extremely popular. Of course I may be wrong, but I think the most recent Avengers movie was the crescendo for the franchise, and will start to decline in popularity/profitability.

Star Wars- I think it's obvious there are major problems with this franchise. From franchise fatigue, to the die-hards just not buying what they are selling with the new stuff.

Pixar- I love me some Pixar films, but they've got to quit with all these sequels and get back to original content. They need to come up with some original ideas like Coco. They have become, "Well this movie was popular, so just make another one of those."

Disney Animation Studios- They had been in a renaissance beginning with Princess and the Frog through Moana I think, but now I think they are in trouble really ever since Gigantic was cancelled. They are going the way of Pixar, and starting to only make sequels. The last two movies (Frozen 2 and Wreck It Ralph 2) aren't original. The only other time I can remember Disney Animation making a theatrical release that was a sequel (not including those lame direct to video sequels) was The Rescuers Down Under.

ESPN- Major problems. Paid waaaaaaayyy too much for the rights to certain leagues, etc. and now cable subscriptions are way down. Now they are basically going to give away ESPN+ in the Disney/Hulu package just to hopefully get some viewers.

FOX- I think they significantly overpaid for this acquisition. Major mistake by Disney in my opinion. I don't see them making their money back on this one.

But here's the thing. they don't have to ride it "forever". that's the beauty of all this. You're absolutely right, in 10 years maybe marvel will be played out maybe not but that's why they like Iger because he'll go out and get the next fad. for right now sequels are working for them. Toy story 4 and Incredible 2 did great.

I think that's one issue, we are measuring it by "our" old metrics. I agree with the fox acquisition, way too much money.

you guys are trying IMO to measure it by the old "generational" yardstick. will X be popular when my grandkids come along, or because you remember it fondly from 1970. That is no longer necessary. Frozen 2 doesn't have to be "original". as long as there are 50 million little girls who want Elsa and Olaf, they are going to rake in the bucks.

Kingtut

The decline of 3% is not yet a trend. Attendance has steadily increased the entire time the prices increased. Rumbling aren't data and besides the recent 3% decline, ALL the data in parks has been favorable to Disney's strategy. Unfortunate maybe, but true nonetheless. We'll see how attendance looks in the next few quarters.
I'm curious now - do we know if the 3% includes all of the additional hard ticket events? I could see a way to spin the numbers based on how you count - is a person with a day ticket and a ticket to a party one admission or two? There has always been some ambiguity to the actual numbers of warn bodies entering the parks since Disney doesn't release actual numbers ( as far as I know). I would really like to know the number (YoY) of unique guests entering the parks. Disney should know this number and it may be the one that actually is cared about by the numbers folks. What I mean is that 1 person entering for 10 days is probably not going to spend as much money as two people entering for 5 days each - though 10 people have walked into the parks.

Now I have to think and my head will hurt

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I'm curious now - do we know if the 3% includes all of the additional hard ticket events? I could see a way to spin the numbers based on how you count - is a person with a day ticket and a ticket to a party one admission or two? There has always been some ambiguity to the actual numbers of warn bodies entering the parks since Disney doesn't release actual numbers ( as far as I know). I would really like to know the number (YoY) of unique guests entering the parks. Disney should know this number and it may be the one that actually is cared about by the numbers folks. What I mean is that 1 person entering for 10 days is probably not going to spend as much money as two people entering for 5 days each - though 10 people have walked into the parks.

Now I have to think and my head will hurt
No, we don't know. They said it was only domestic and he specifically mentioned Disneyland. It was very casually said and Disney never officially reports attendance numbers for parks.

I agree there are many different ways to count paid attendance. To me, the simplest way would be to total up the amount of visitors at park each day and add them all up for the year. This means if you park hop, you could be a vistitor to MK and EPCOT in the same day. You could also do unique visitors for the year, which would significantly lower the attendance figures.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Well they never should have built two of the same lands simultaneously anyway. They seem to be making one mistake after another.
I'm not sure that was a mistake at all. They probably were able to get tons of synergies by producing 2 of everything and knocking them out together. For my money, Disney hasn't made many strategic mistakes.

All of their "mistaks" have been pretty minor and just the course of doing business. Financially, they are healthier than ever.

SteveAZee

I'm not sure that was a mistake at all. They probably were able to get tons of synergies by producing 2 of everything and knocking them out together. For my money, Disney hasn't made many strategic mistakes.

All of their "mistaks" have been pretty minor and just the course of doing business. Financially, they are healthier than ever.
Um, was the mistake with mistake a mistake?

Supply and Demand. Issue in the US is that there is just not enough capacity at DL and WDW for the current demand. Instead of investing in new parks, Disney decided to just to do incremental changes to their existing parks which didn't increase capacity. What we really needed was a whole new park or parks to increase the capacity. Marvel and Star Wars IP should have their own park, IMO. Disney doesn't take big risks anymore like Walt did. There is no WOW factor anymore. These new "lands" are just Meh. I haven't been since before Avatar opened. 1 good ride in Avatar is not enough to get me to spend $5k to go for a week for a family of 4. For that cost, I can go to Europe and see real the real Matterhorn or real castles with my family. Since they are making $$$ with this strategy, no change will happen. But we all have a choice whether we give them our hard earned money.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Same thing that happened at GE in their different divisions. Their appliance businesses are a prime example. Upper management moved manufacturing to China with little concern about quality, end result was GE had a good name in that business which after a decade the goodwill was gone and so was GE's appliance business. GE had a strong brand, when was the last time you heard someone say I got GE appliances? They don't because it is a low end no name brand now.
"I got GE appliances." Just FYI, GE Appliances was bought in 2016 by Haier, a Chinese electrical goods manufacturer. Ironically, most of GE's heavy products are now made in the USA of primarily US-manufactured components. You can see the break-out here. GEA still employs thousands of US workers still making quality products at facilities all over the country.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

Goofyernmost

Supply and Demand. Issue in the US is that there is just not enough capacity at DL and WDW for the current demand. Instead of investing in new parks, Disney decided to just to do incremental changes to their existing parks which didn't increase capacity. What we really needed was a whole new park or parks to increase the capacity. Marvel and Star Wars IP should have their own park, IMO. Disney doesn't take big risks anymore like Walt did. There is no WOW factor anymore. These new "lands" are just Meh. I haven't been since before Avatar opened. 1 good ride in Avatar is not enough to get me to spend $5k to go for a week for a family of 4. For that cost, I can go to Europe and see real the real Matterhorn or real castles with my family. Since they are making $$$ with this strategy, no change will happen. But we all have a choice whether we give them our hard earned money.
Or simply put more damn things in each of the existing parks. They have plenty of land for people to go. What they are missing are places for people to occupy once they get in. They constantly say that WDW is the size of Manhattan, yet Manhattan manages to cram millions of people, not just 20K or so in such a small space because they provided places for those people to be and not outside in the sun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom