Bob Iger says no to VR in Disney Parks

• Thread starter Deleted member 107043
  • Start date

Phroobar

What Disney needs is something like Microsoft's HoloLens. It's not VR but Augmented Reality where things are superimposed over your field of vision. Imagine walking down Main Street and seeing everything and everyone but Tinkerbell dive bombs you. You could could be on Space Mountain and an asteroid comes at you from the left.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
What Disney needs is something like Microsoft's HoloLens. It's not VR but Augmented Reality where things are superimposed over your field of vision. Imagine walking down Main Street and seeing everything and everyone but Tinkerbell dive bombs you. You could could be on Space Mountain and an asteroid comes at you from the left.

Exactly, and that is what I believe Iger is saying. He doesn't want to take you out of the real world by putting you into a VR world. He wants to keep you in the real world where AR can be used to enhance the experience.

dweezil78

I do not follow that logic. Isnt FP+ 100 percent digital?

FP+ is an app you use for making reservations -- it's quite different than an environment. The difference between a physical FP machine and an app on your phone is not the same as the difference between a screen strapped to your head and witnessing the floating mountains of Pandora right there in the real world.

disney4life2008

FP+ is an app you use for making reservations -- it's quite different than an environment. The difference between a physical FP machine and an app on your phone is not the same as the difference between a screen strapped to your head and witnessing the floating mountains of Pandora right there in the real world.

I wouldn't want that at all. I don't like vr

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Exactly, and that is what I believe Iger is saying. He doesn't want to take you out of the real world by putting you into a VR world. He wants to keep you in the real world where AR can be used to enhance the experience.

But isn't that what Soarin' basically does, and what Flight of Passage will likely do?

dweezil78

But isn't that what Soarin' basically does, and what Flight of Passage will likely do?

Nah.. as cool as VR is, it still doesn't come close to replicating the feeling of being in front of ginormous IMAX screen. The resolution isn't there and even though it's still a screen, your brain can distinguish the difference between a device strapped to your head and something truly massive (even if it is film-based).

Curious Constance

Another cool augmented reality option....As I'm looking for something to buy for my coworker, a Disney fan, at a MainSt shop, I look over and see Bob Iger leaning against the wall of Mickey plush, as our eyes lock , he winks and blows me a kiss.

No Name

Wow, for once, Iger sounds like he understands theme parks!

I fully agree with what he said, and "ersatz" is an excellent word! I had to look up the definition, is it bad that I've never seen or heard it before?

VR is a cheap solution for not actually theming the ride. Everest doesn't need to use VR, because it uses R. Reality. Real theming that you can see through your real eyes. Same for Thunder Mountain, SDMT, even Rock 'N' Rollercoaster.

That is why I'm not the absolute biggest fan of simulators that stay in one place. Soarin, Flight of Passage, I'd include Star Tours and Mission Space too, at Disney. Universal, there are a bunch more.

But I think the main difference between those and the VR coasters is that, when in the park, you can see the bare track of the coaster. In the queue, you can see the bare track of the coaster. You see other people riding on a normal track, and then when it's your turn, you're supposed to feel like you're escaping Gotham City? You just can't feel highly immersed.

Simulators like Soarin', on the other hand, are contained. You can't physically see others ride before riding yourself, so when it is your turn, you're able to feel more immersed in the moment of it all.

I don't know if that makes sense. My point is, VR coasters just feel far more artificial.

edited for grammar

Last edited:

BrianLo

Another dumb mandate that has nothing to do with storytelling.

I'm actually really surprised to hear you say this. Outside of your points you've been making, do you actually want to see a VR ride at Disney?

I agree with Bob that it is "ersatz", a word I too admittedly looked up, but seems incredibly appropriate.

He's not really banning the "tool" either. Augmented reality is essentially in the same wheel house. He's just banned the easier tool and wants them to strive for the better one.

VR is the ultimate in go away green.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
No, those are basically simulators.

Think more of Pokemon Go, where you use your phone to capture virtual Pokemon in the real world.

But you said "He doesn't want to take you out of the real world by putting you into a VR world". There really isn't much to see in Soarin' besides the screen, so in effect you are being taken out of the real world and put in a VR world.

lazyboy97o

I'm actually really surprised to hear you say this. Outside of your points you've been making, do you actually want to see a VR ride at Disney?

I agree with Bob that it is "ersatz", a word I too admittedly looked up, but seems incredibly appropriate.

He's not really banning the "tool" either. Augmented reality is essentially in the same wheel house. He's just banned the easier tool and wants them to strive for the better one.

VR is the ultimate in go away green.
The problem with declaring "I don't want to see [x]" is that 'x' is not actually defined, and is instead often a host of limited assumptions based only on what has been done before. It's an inability to consider more than what is already known.

The long rumored Speederbike coaster is a concept I think that would have easily benefited from virtual reality. That scene in Return of the Jedi is thrilling because of the tight spaces and isolation. There was no safety envelope. No matter how much landscaping was planted, a coaster would have always been a group of people going through a clearly marked path. VR being the "ultimate in go away green" means all of that can disappear. You can visually break the safety envelope. You could just barely make it around a tree. A scout trooper could get right up next you.

The possibilities for virtual reality are there. In Disneyland, contemporary themed entertainment was birthed from the carny crap of the mid-20th century amusement park.

yeti

The problem with declaring "I don't want to see [x]" is that 'x' is not actually defined, and is instead often a host of limited assumptions based only on what has been done before. It's an inability to consider more than what is already known.

The long rumored Speederbike coaster is a concept I think that would have easily benefited from virtual reality. That scene in Return of the Jedi is thrilling because of the tight spaces and isolation. There was no safety envelope. No matter how much landscaping was planted, a coaster would have always been a group of people going through a clearly marked path. VR being the "ultimate in go away green" means all of that can disappear. You can visually break the safety envelope. You could just barely make it around a tree. A scout trooper could get right up next you.

The possibilities for virtual reality are there. In Disneyland, contemporary themed entertainment was birthed from the carny crap of the mid-20th century amusement park.

I think an indoor VR-headset attraction with physical effects - like fog, heat, wind, rain; and smellitzers - could be breathtaking.

lazyboy97o

I think an indoor VR-headset attraction with physical effects - like fog, heat, wind, rain; and smellitzers - could be breathtaking.
Incorporating physical sensations seems to be a big must. There are practical reasons such as reducing motion sickness, but there is also something very unnerving about your sight not matching up with your other senses (although that could also be used as part of a deliberate design intent).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom