Boat Driver Question

piglet*florida

Original Poster
Do you need a special license to be a boat driver at Walt Disney World? Especially for the Friendship type boats. Are there different levels of boat drivers depending on size of the boat?

WDWKat26

I think you don't need a special license to do that...but i'm not 100% sure. You can always call casting though to find out! 407-828-1000 :)

The Mom

Premium Member
I may be mistaken, but I think you DO need a special license. At the very least, I would assume that they would have to attend a power squadron course and be certified. They might even need to have a captain's license.

Even though the general public can go out, buy a boat, and plop it in the water without any training, (which accounts for many waterway problems and accidents) once you start carrying paying passengers the rules change. (The cost of the boat ride is "bundled" into your ticket price.)

Edited to add after a quick google:

Yes, they definitely need a special license. First they need a USCG captain's license (to carry up to 6 paying passengers), then must obtain an upgrade to Master Captain license. There is a $10,000/day fine for violaters. This is a federal requirement.

freaklarm

As a former WDW Boat Captain I can answer this question for you. No special licence is needed. Disney will train you and if you pass the assesment your good and they will certify you, now this are some serious training. Watercrafts is the division of Disney Transportation that you want to look into and this include Launches, Cruisers, Ferry Boats, Grand One and Water Light Show, pretty much anything on the Bay Lake/Seven Seas Lagoon area (Friendships run separate from this division)

Once you get hire, you will be phase-trained:
1- Deck Hand
2- Cruise/Launch
3- Launch/Cruise
4- Ferry Boat
5- Light Show (with enough seniority and if you bid for it)
6- Grand One (with a LOT of seniority and after some serious bidding)

Hope this help!

The Mom

Premium Member
freakalarm, are the USCG rules waived because it's private property? I guess WDW is one of the few places that has extensive non-public waterways. :lol:

piglet*florida

Original Poster
freaklarm, did you enjoy being a boat captain at Disney? What are the pros and cons? sounds like a fun job! how long is the training? Any more info that you can think of? thanks

maelstrom

I used to really want to be a watercraft operator at WDW, but I can't even park a watermouse, so I don't know how well I'd do with a Friendship Boat or a Ferry!

The only boat I'd ever want to captain (skipper?) would be of the Jungle Cruise variety, and I'm sure there is no special license needed for THAT, thanks to the guiding rail under the boat :D

freaklarm

The Mom said:
freakalarm, are the USCG rules waived because it's private property? I guess WDW is one of the few places that has extensive non-public waterways. :lol:

You know what, that was never explained to me. I still work at Disney, so I am going to ask about this and will let you know.

freaklarm

piglet*florida said:
freaklarm, did you enjoy being a boat captain at Disney? What are the pros and cons? sounds like a fun job! how long is the training? Any more info that you can think of? thanks

I did it on CP on the Fall 2002 and I enjoyed A LOT. Is probably one of the coolest jobs you can probably have in the World, that also comes with a lot of reponsibilities, remember, these are real boats (not on a track) so you are responsible for the lives and safety of your guests and crew.
Pros:
-Being at the lake all day long
-Watching the sunsets and sunrises, fireworks and space crafts launches from one of the best views in the house, the Pilot House
-Breaks every two hours
-Great team
-Driving across the water bridge and looking at the cars stoping when they realize that there is a huge boat that is going over them (this is even funnier when the ferry boat goes across the bridge)

Cons:
-You ARE going to get wet
-Nothing else, I totally loved it

The Mom

Premium Member
Thank you for all of the information. THIS is the sort of thread that keeps me coming back to wdwmagic (along with the great people) I love the "inside" information about aspects of the park we take for granted. :sohappy:

Greg34

The Mom said:

If they are classified as attractions they don't fall under uscg rules. However Disney Transport has very high standards to allow someone to drive any vechicle and it wouldn't surprise me to find out there standards are higher.

freaklarm

The Mom said:

Ok, I got the answer. They are not considered an attraction, they are consideres a private fleet of vessels for mass transportation purposes. The rules are waived because its in a private property but Disney DOES train and certify their CM under the USCG standards. So as a Watercraft Pilot you are certified by Disney with the same or higher standards that USCG require for commercial boat piloting, but can only use your certification at Disney, meaning you cannot go to, let say, Carnival Cruise Line and ask for a job as a Captain. Make sense?

The Mom

Premium Member
It makes sense, but it's too bad that you can't transfer it. I suppose that people who worked for less stringent companies would want to transfer their "captainship" also, so it's in the public interest to make former WDW employees jump through the same hoops.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
As a former WDW Boat Captain I can answer this question for you. No special licence is needed. Disney will train you and if you pass the assesment your good and they will certify you, now this are some serious training. Watercrafts is the division of Disney Transportation that you want to look into and this include Launches, Cruisers, Ferry Boats, Grand One and Water Light Show, pretty much anything on the Bay Lake/Seven Seas Lagoon area (Friendships run separate from this division)

Once you get hire, you will be phase-trained:
1- Deck Hand
2- Cruise/Launch
3- Launch/Cruise
4- Ferry Boat
5- Light Show (with enough seniority and if you bid for it)
6- Grand One (with a LOT of seniority and after some serious bidding)

Hope this help!

Years ago my DS was certified by Disney as a Lifeguard as a CP. Being older than most CPs and being a Lifeguard for many years prior he was shipped off to a different arena than most lifeguards and was further certified for open water. Much later after he finished college and having a good record, that experience Tagged him as a good candidate for Disney's Rescue boats to get his foot back in the door.

DS was trained like you, certified internally according to the risk management carriers requirements as the lifeguards are also. The Lifeguards carry the Ellis certification, though the training is Disney internally. Piloting a Rescue boat for a while he had to continue to go through inservice training monthly in order to continue to pilot a rescue boat. (Like rescuing all those stupid guests, doing stupid things in those Sea Raycers wasn't enough continuous training lol.)

The one that surprised me was a childhood friend of my DS did a CP a year or so after my son had and he was assigned to the role of Monorail pilot. I would have thought that role would require bringing more to the table than 2 years of college and being 21 to be assigned that role. Nope. He was piloting the evening the young man passed away in the monorail accident. He is still rattled by that night.

topher

The USCG certification is only required for cm's born after 1988. I believe it was an 8 hour online course. The course certifies you in the state of Florida to operate small watercraft. It is optional for cm's born before 88.

This was the policy last November for the Friendships. It may have changed since. I may be misremembering. I may not be. Who knows?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom