Blizzard Beach Expansion

andysol

Original Poster
https://twitter.com/skylor/status/878745481601482754

Runoff rapids has been closed for a while with no signs of any work being done as mentioned here:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...izzard-beach-closed-for-refurbishment.924128/

With Disney already preemptively propping up Typhoon Lagoon with Miss Adventure Falls prior to Volcano Bay opening down the road, is this the much needed Blizzard Beach Expansion we have been waiting 22 years for?
If ever there was a water park in need of expansion- due to its attendance- it's BB.

Last edited:

Stitchon

It's embarrassing it's taken them this long to add anything substantial to the water parks. Slides are some of the best ROI items out there, there's a reason why Cedar Fair and Six Flags have worked to add water parks to their properties. That in combination with the theme possibilities and technological innovations in the water park industry (cough VOLCANO BAY cough) makes me hope Disney is ready to do something cool.

UpAllNight

I noticed what looked like land clearing at the back of the Rapids in early May but as nothing had been posted on here I assumed it was some form of infrastructure project or hotel expansion (I wasn't sure if a resort nearby backs onto that area)

Interestingly I've just watched Tim Trackers latest video and he was also of the opinion BB needs more slides...and noticed a vine on RunOff Rapids....they've basically not touched that entire ride complex since shutting it.

Last edited:

davis_unoxx

IMG_1350.PNG
This image was taken two days ago by the Tim Tracker, doesn't seem like they are doing any work!

Bolt

https://twitter.com/skylor/status/878745481601482754

Runoff rapids has been closed for a while with no signs of any work being done as mentioned here:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...izzard-beach-closed-for-refurbishment.924128/

With Disney already preemptively propping up Typhoon Lagoon with Miss Adventure Falls prior to Volcano Bay opening down the road, is this the much needed Blizzard Beach Expansion we have been waiting 22 years for?
If ever there was a water park in need of expansion- due to its attendance- it's BB.
Still the 3rd busiest water park in the world but I understand your points.

Biff215

Hoping this is an expansion as Blizzard needs it, but still a shame that Runoff Rapids is closed for what appears to be this entire year. No real reason it couldn't be operating while they clear land around it, unless there is something bigger wrong with those slides. Maybe that is forcing Disney's hand, combined with VB.

Hoping for a combination of some unique new slides as well as some more family friendly options.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Just looked through the permits to be sure. An expansion would probably require a South Florida Water Management Permit which definitely hasn't shown up. There have been a few noticed of commencement over the past couple month, one for plumbing, one for general construction which expires in July and one for Runoff Rapids which expired in May. So again, none of this points to an expansion.

WDWFantasmicFan

I contacted the Twitter user who said the photos were taken yesterday. That is not to say things haven't been like that for ages as in that photo above from 2016.

Biff215

I contacted Guest Relations last week and directly asked about Runoff Rapids. I got the runaround response about checking the website, height requirements, and other useless information. I suspect there's something wrong with these slides, like what Summit and Slush Gusher experienced a few years back, but it's much easier to close Runoff and ignore it.

There's simply no good excuse for BBto reopen from refurb with three slides still down. While the park can survive, I'm choosing to stay away as it affects the other lines and takes away even more from the non-height restricted attractions. It's an interesting time to pull this with VB opening, so we'll have to see if attendance is affected when all is said and done.

andysol

Original Poster
It's an interesting time to pull this with VB opening, so we'll have to see if attendance is affected when all is said and done.

I believe WDWs water parks will stand on their own merits (or not). VB is more about extending the stay at Universal (or even a Uni only trip) vs taking attendance from TL/BB. They might grab some locals from aquatica- but I don't even think Aquaticas numbers will be that impacted. VB seems as if it is tailor made for on-site guests.

At TL-,Shark reef closing sucked. But at least they've gotten crush n gusher and now miss adventure falls. That's 4 really good slides right there that hit both ends of the demographic spectrum.
Whereas BB is just constantly struggling to keep their slides operational- whether it be their premier drop slides or these basic ones.
BB is going to need to do something, as its reputation is starting to diminish.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom