Blah Blah Blah

M

Mr Lightbeer

err what's up herbie?

Herbie baby, what's up with Universal man ?

OK,it doesn't have that magic that you feel in WDW but it's still a fantastic place.It's fastly developing into a fully fledged resort similar to WDW.Maybe you see it as competition but I think I can speak for most Brits by saying that along with Seaworld and to a lesser extent Busch Gardens and Kennedy Space Center these parks are a must when visiting Orlando.

Back in the mid 90s we noticed some smart comments from Universal staff regarding guests wearing anything with a Disney logo on.Also we noticed a Mickey hat floating in the water on the Jaws ride but we always saw the funny side of this.Now with all the new stuff at Universal I think they're not so paranoid about Disney.Being in business myself I recognise that sometimes competition is good for business as it brings more people into the area and I think that's what's happened in Orlando.I'm sure Disney don't see them as too much of a threat.

Anyway Herbie I'm intrigued as to why you or anyone else thinks Universal is yuck.

woofboy111

I personally don't have anything against universal. The employees aren't as polite, but remember that it's not Disney. Alkos, remember that Universal built Spiderman. I wouldn't consider anything at disney as good as that with special effects. Withe general feel of a ride, I'd take disney anyday.

Also, what's this about the mickey hat in Jaws? I've looked for that ever since I've heard the umors about it and never found it. Is it still there? If it is, where in the ride?

JBloom1029

I think Disney should be thankful Universal is expanded cause it gives familys and mostly younger people in like their 20's more of a reason to come down there and they will also go to Disney of course.

DisneyPhD

Let me preface this by saying that I havn't been to IOA, but we did go to Universal Studios. The attractions were entertaining but one difference is that most (if not all) of the Universal rides you are riding (or viewing) with several hundred other people. Disney does a great job at making you feel like you are the only one on the ride even though you know you've been waiting in line for an hour with thousands of other people. As someone else mentioned, the cast members were not as friendly. It was a bit strange to see employees wearing blue jeans. Disney wouldn't do that unless it fit with the theme of the ride. Disney has a better take on spraying guests with water too. The Universal rides where water is involved always left us wanting a towel as we left the attraction (like Terminator). Honey, I shrunk the Audience, you get a little mist that's gone by the time you've dropped off your glasses. My wife doesn't like the merchandise and souvenirs at Universal so she doesn't buy as much... oh wait that's a plus! The theming is missing the Mouse!

Herbie53

Premium Member
Original Poster
To be honest I have not been to Universal since IOA opened so my opinions are a bit dated I'm sure. Other than the Back to the Future simulator which was much better than Disney's simulator rides, Universal never impressed me much. The rides were thrilling enough (though a bit too loud), but the atmosphere fell short. When you go to Orlando specifically to see WDW, I think Universal comes across as a bit lackluster, and for about the same price. A major factor for my family is that we have to split our vacation time between Disney and relatives in Tampa and Pensecola. So we tend to try to optimize our time in Orlando. Sometimes that even means cutting out some attractions at WDW. So needless to say, the less enjoyable Universal parks get the boot first.

markymark

When there was only Universal Studios, I always found it a case of paying $35 just to go on the Back To The Future ride. I felt like majority of the park was all a facade. There wasn't the feel of realism in the place, like MGM. IOA is a great park with some pretty decent rides, especially Spiderman, but, for me the real difference is the staff. I find them really really unhelpful and quite often unpleasant. I think that this coupled with an apparent lack of real atmosphere (there is always an excited buzz in the Disney parks) mean that IOA really fall's short of any of the Disney parks. Sure I'll go to visit them, but there is really only once place to go , and we all know where that is!
I agree with Mr Lightbeer in that competition is good. You never know, if Universal had not sprouted up, would WDW have evolved so much and become what it is now.

The Mom

Premium Member
We've been to Universal & IOA twice in the past year. Except for Seuss Landing, IOA is geared toward the over 9 crowd. My son (7 at the time) was too short for many of the rides, and others were too "intense" for him. Even my 17 y.o. passed on some. Many of the rides get you really wet! I wouldn't recommend them in the winter months.
On the plus side, Universal resorts do seem to be trying harder! We stayed at the Portofino when it first opened, and pointed out (in written form) several problems in service and safety. They credited back our room charge and invited us to stay again! Disney has never done that for me!

(Although I still prefer the general atmosphere at Disney.)

mickeyears

Have to do Spiderman at IOA everytime we go. I love WDW but always enjoy adding IOA/US to our trip. We are trying the Hard Rock Hotel at our next stay.:)

MISS MINNIE

blah ;blah blah

We love disney (9 times in 11 years) - we now stay on site but I would never think of coming to Orlando and not do WDW, USF, IOA, SW and BG.

We come for 14 days and manage to get them all in.

Every park has something for everyone and there is a favourite at each of them

MK: Sp M or TMRR
Epcot: TT
MGM : Little Mermaid (not DH and DD's choice but mine)
AK : havent been but plan to go in July

USF: ET
IOA: Spiderman
BG: Rhino Rally (hopefully)

Seaworld: Shamu shamu shamu

Basically our whole family just loves Florida, WDW and anything else has to offer

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom