Big changes coming to the Mexico Pavillion (RUMOUR)

Would you be sad to see GFT go.

• Yes.

Votes: 151 58.3%
  • No.

Votes: 108 41.7%

• Total voters

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Didn't they make a TV movie?

Yes, despite the fact that Elena's series has already had about five episodes and Sofia's series already had her with a new color scheme, the TV movie where Sofia frees Elena from from the Amulet of Avalor (and gets a new color scheme in the process) has just recently aired as Elena's "origin story."

An Elena M&G would probably go well in Mexico... sorta. Elena's culture is an amalgam of many Latin American cultures and not explicitly Mexican.

And speaking of the Day of the Dead... there is a skeleton in the Mexico pavilion in a glass case on the way between the tequila bar and the restaurant. Anyone know if that's supposed to (or, was supposed to) do anything, like move or react to people? It seems like it would, but never does.

rle4lunch

So I've been going to WDW since 1982 (as a wee 6 year old) and I just rode Gran Fiesta last Sunday for the first (and last) time. Just like Maelstrom was, it is a terrible "ride". It's meaningless meandering waste of space with a bunch of smiling dancing mariachi dudes in every scene. The whole Mexico building and that ride remind me of Casa Bonita in Denver, and almost just as cheesy. All that attraction needs is Black Bart jumping off a waterfall as he chases Donald Duck around. Good lord, what was Disney thinking when they made the WS rides?

Good riddance to utter crap.

Katie G

While I enjoy the GFT ride for what it is, it isn't a top notch ride. It's really just a nice break from the sun and constant walking when touring the world showcase. I wouldn't mind some changes. I also think they need to expand the space inside the pavilion. It always feels so cramped and crowded and not many places to sit and enjoy the ambiance. The tequila cave always has a massive line out the door. With the partial expansion pad next door, I wonder how difficult it would really be to add some space to the pavilion.

FigmentJedi

So they could put a Curtin over them and pretend GFT Never Existed

That's probably exactly what they'd do.

And let's not forget how long those AA's were sitting around collecting dust.

One doesn't mean the other can't happen.

That's exactly what they did to the scary marionette carousel. It's behind the bandshell. Apparently the Aztec priest at the beginning of El Rio is behind that first projection screen too.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You must mean "Canadian"

7dc4004f6f7d8425ef3ea8593db956dd.jpg

That picture... could be one of the greatest pictures EVER!!! Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to listen to "Bob and Doug's 12 Days of Christmas", eh...

Bocabear

The attraction in bot of it's iterations has been a nice little diversion, but not much to talk about. It would be nice if maybe Coco was a hit and they actually spent some money and created a real world class attraction out of it, but I think the Mexico Pavilion is always a crowded mess would get much worse...they would have to build a whole new queue and loading area to handle the crowds...though it seesm now that the whole left side of the pavilion except for the crystal shop is vacant. Maybe the new ride queue could begin atthe Esplanade and then you exit the boat into the Pavilion (current loading area)..

P_Radden

El Rio del Tiempo was one of my favorite attractions at the opening of EPCOT Center. Not a stellar E ticket, but it had charm, style, and was true to the culture.
Sadly I do not remember it much from those days as I only rode it once in 98. But, my wife and I love the GFT and always ride at least once every trip. Sure the Three Caballeros IP is a forced fit, but for us that is only part of it. And honestly, most of the scenes are pretty silly. We love everything else about it though, the ambiance of the pyramid and volcano, the overall charm entering the temple, the scenes of Mexico, the smell of the anamatronics grease, the fiber optic fireworks, and yes The Three Caballeros anamatronic at the end. :) It is a Epcot Classic and I am very thankful they didn't change it any more when they converted it to The Three Caballeros. From videos online it looks 80% the same as El Rio del Tiempo.

On the other hand... The Seas With Nemo, NO THANKS. But I do like the sea gulls saying "mine" out front.

elchippo

I love this ride-just fun and simple, not a huge WOW but those are the things I like about Disney best. I put it in the same category as Peoplemover and Living with the Land. I just love them. I love when Disney actually thinks back to lesser known properties and utilizes them in attractions (here, as well as a lot of the details in Storybook Circus for example)

BUT.....this IS an overlay that just makes too much sense for once. I get it. For as blasphemous as Frozen was in Norway, this wouldn't really be that way. It makes perfect sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom