News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Earlie the Pearlie

Instead of gatekeeping, perhaps we could introduce evidence as to why we love classic Epcot Center.

First of all, the shadeless, barren concrete plaza you and I experienced was not part of original Epcot. The original plaza was beautiful and natural, with planters, water features, and many trees to provide shade. Mirrored on either side by the Communicore buildings, it effectively achieved what this current plaza does, but with the added benefit of symmetry and the fountain. Most people are not mourning the loss of the concrete; they are disappointed in the new plaza because they know that the original did almost everything this one does and more, with the fountain and the symmetrical buildings as an integral part of this design. Many of us are also upset at the loss of those two artifacts of the original design. I would recommend Martin’s Ultimate Communicore tribute for great footage of this plaza.

Secondly, while Guardians is, in fact, a great coaster, one of my personal favorites anywhere, it is detested by many for eliminating one of the last mostly untouched Future World pavilions. While these lengthy dark rides may not seem incredibly interesting at first, if you consider the weight and impact of each individually, and how thematically strong the park was when it showcased not only transportation, energy, nature, communication, technology, and health, but where it all came from and how it all tied together, you just might see why this park is so special to us, and why we can kind of be jerks about the changes to it; many of us wouldn’t hate these rides in of themselves if they just weren’t in our park, slowly killing everything that made us love it in the first place. I would recommend reading the parklore.com articles on each of these attractions, and if any of them pique your interest watching Martin’s tribute for any individual ride or component. You don’t have to like any of them, but you might find something to appreciate in the artistry of EPCOT Center.

Sorry for this humongous post. Thanks for reading if you did.

DreamfinderGuy

Secondly, while Guardians is, in fact, a great coaster, one of my personal favorites anywhere, it is detested by many for eliminating one of the last mostly untouched Future World pavilions.
I don't even think this is the primary reason people detest Guardians. The major problem is that it's just not thematically appropriate for EPCOT. It's a fun attraction, but being fun is not enough to justify its placement. If Universe of Energy were gutted for something that stayed true to Future World's values, I don't think there would be nearly as much outcry.

Earlie the Pearlie

I don't even think this is the primary reason people detest Guardians. The major problem is that it's just not thematically appropriate for EPCOT. It's a fun attraction, but being fun is not enough to justify its placement. If Universe of Energy were gutted for something that stayed true to Future World's values, I don't think there would be nearly as much outcry.
Exactly what I was trying to say in that sentence, but said much more clearly 👍
Mainly I was trying to add some context as to why the objectively inferior (in a vacuum) UoE is missed so much, but this was my main point.

Last edited:

BasiltheBatLord

So this makes June 10 the official end date of the Epcot overhaul right?
I went last in 2017, and sure, I was only 7 so I don't remember all too much, but based on photos and what of it I can remember, other than Illuminations and FoN going away, it's been entirely positive IMO. I hated the concrete and barely-any-shade aesthetic, and I (again, going off photos and videos) like this much, much more. I think the plants are beautiful, even if the center planter does look a bit like... the female body... but the plants are gorgeous; the points of light are stunning; the France expansion is wonderfully themed and entirely positive; GotG is a wonderful coaster and excellently themed despite the giant show building; Space 220 alone is worth the price of going back from what I've seen; the new entry plaza finally looks like a theme park, not a graveyard; Walt statues are always a plus, even though it looks like he's on the toilet; Journey of Water is gorgeous; and the concept art for the new Test Track looks much better than what we have now.
Don't worry about the replies you're receiving. People on these forums get extremely dramatic over Epcot.

Personally I'm with you in that I'm just thankful that Disney finally made a major investment into the park after decades of stagnation.

pigglewiggle

I actually enjoyed Epcot the most (as a whole) when Tapestry of Nations was happening. We really enjoyed that.
I am looking forward to seeing the gardens in person. It may not please everyone but I think it fills a need. And all the lighting, not just ones in sync with show, really gives good atmosphere.

HMF

I actually enjoyed Epcot the most (as a whole) when Tapestry of Nations was happening. We really enjoyed that.
I am looking forward to seeing the gardens in person. It may not please everyone but I think it fills a need. And all the lighting, not just ones in sync with show, really gives good atmosphere.
The fact that I can't hear the ToN score while walking out of the park again fills me with sadness. I became a drummer because of that parade.

pigglewiggle

The fact that I can't hear the ToN score while walking out of the park again fills me with sadness. I became a drummer because of that parade.

I understand that.

I think I was 9 or so when I went on the original boat ride in the Mexico Pavilion. It used to be like tourism advertising for the respective countries.
I promise you that started my need to visit Mexico, then Jamaica, then all of the Caribbean. Most people wouldn't name that as one of their most missed rides, but I miss it.

(James Bond movies also contributed to my island hopping obsession)

UNCgolf

It also drops the ball on utilizing the IP (and on theming/storytelling in general, really). I think the Guardians movies and characters are among the very best in the MCU, and they're badly misused in the ride. You could take them out and it would have almost no effect whatsoever; their main contribution is providing a reason to include the music.

That's not to suggest the current ride is bad -- just that its success is essentially unrelated to the IP usage (if not in spite of). They probably could have designed something better by building a space themed coaster without the Guardians IP.

Also, Ellen's Energy Adventure had to be replaced. It was wildly outdated. While I would have preferred they replace it with something else (as you suggest), it's not like it was fine to continue as-is for years.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I went last in 2017, and sure, I was only 7 so I don't remember all too much, but based on photos and what of it I can remember, other than Illuminations and FoN going away, it's been entirely positive IMO. I hated the concrete and barely-any-shade aesthetic, and I (again, going off photos and videos) like this much, much more. I think the plants are beautiful, even if the center planter does look a bit like... the female body... but the plants are gorgeous; the points of light are stunning; the France expansion is wonderfully themed and entirely positive; GotG is a wonderful coaster and excellently themed despite the giant show building; Space 220 alone is worth the price of going back from what I've seen; the new entry plaza finally looks like a theme park, not a graveyard; Walt statues are always a plus, even though it looks like he's on the toilet; Journey of Water is gorgeous; and the concept art for the new Test Track looks much better than what we have now.

I don't think you're wrong to feel this way.

The work at EPCOT is mostly an improvement over what existed there in 2017; it's just not an improvement over what existed in, e.g., 1993. That doesn't really matter if you didn't see/experience the park then, though -- it's better than anything that existed in your experience.

Di$neyCPA

So this makes June 10 the official end date of the Epcot overhaul right?

Don't worry about the replies you're receiving. People on these forums get extremely dramatic over Epcot.

Personally I'm with you in that I'm just thankful that Disney finally made a major investment into the park after decades of stagnation.
Or makes this the official start date of a new festival to be named later? Long live FestivaCOT.

HMF

I don't think you're wrong to feel this way.

The work at EPCOT is mostly an improvement over what existed there in 2017; it's just not an improvement over what existed in, e.g., 1993. That doesn't really matter if you didn't see/experience the park then, though -- it's better than anything that existed in your experience.
I would argue that Reflections of Earth was FAR superior to what replaced it and just by virtue of not having it, The new EPCOT is a HUGE downgrade.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom