News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

tparris

Not the best quality, but here’s a first look at the new lighting effects in the pavement around the EPCOT logo planter!
IMG_5988.jpeg

lazyboy97o

Honest question: did Disney do all the creative work on this plan themselves? Or were outside consultants brought in?

Asking because the (nearly) finished product seems very similar to several recent downtown/urban renewal projects that feature prominent green spaces and opportunities for "activation."
Disney doesn’t do anything entirely by themselves.

Bocabear

People want ye olde fiber optics back for whatever reason, I imagine.
the fiber optics had a dazzling sparkle and a sort of magical look that diffused LED panels do not. The fiber optics may be older technology...but there are still times they look better then the newer tech. Sometimes the old stuff just looks better....Though I really can't tell from that picture...lol

Incomudro

the fiber optics had a dazzling sparkle and a sort of magical look that diffused LED panels do not. The fiber optics may be older technology...but there are still times they look better then the newer tech. Sometimes the old stuff just looks better....Though I really can't tell from that picture...lol
I loved the fiber optics too.
I agree, just because it's older doesn't mean it still can't have a place.
Matter of fact, it may seem new again to people who are younger and unfamiliar to it.

James Alucobond

Sure, but the point this time is for the floor lighting to participate in the Spaceship Earth shows. It was always going to be a bolder lighting package more consistent with what they’ve done elsewhere in the park this time.

michmousefan

So what do we reckon for the Communicore Building to be complete? March/April?
I'm thinking it won't open until there's a festival to go along with its debut and fully utilize its space. Festival of the Arts is too soon, so I'm guessing Flower & Garden or maybe not until Food & Wine in July. I suppose the meet & greet part could open sooner...

DisneyNorthFan

The amount of time is inexcusable. I have no idea of the budget, but it's surely a ridiculous amount to get what we did. There is still so much at EPCOT that needs attention. None of those things can be changed, unfortunately, and it's tough to look at what we are getting and not be tainted by what could have been. However, for the casual visitor who hasn't been to the park more than a couple times (or at all) during the construction period, they will find a park entrance & hub that is park-like and beautiful. It will be a great place to take a break between attractions, enjoy a snack or meal, and HOPEFULLY enjoy some live entertainment. Couple that with the walk through Moana experience, and you have a much-needed place to decompress and take in the beauty of some of the park.

UNCgolf

That center planter should really be a fountain, imo.

While I very much wish they still had a show fountain (I love water shows synchronized to music), I don't think one would have worked there. I don't think there's enough room for people to actually stop and watch the show.

Not that they couldn't have put in a regular fountain (i.e. without a show), but that wouldn't have the same oomph.

Notes from Neverland

While I very much wish they still had a show fountain (I love water shows synchronized to music), I don't think one would have worked there. I don't think there's enough room for people to actually stop and watch the show.

Not that they couldn't have put in a regular fountain (i.e. without a show), but that wouldn't have the same oomph.
Right, I meant it seems fitting for a smaller regular fountain just because of the design of the space and the surrounding landscape. Definitely not enough room for anything substantial.

Bocabear

Imagine if the fountain were also programmed to interact with the Spaceship Earth light shows adding another element... instead of the ground that will be blocked by people standing in the area.....
And the thing is, it didn't need to be a gigantic show fountain... Just a nice appropriately sized fountain with programmable lighting.....and it would add some kinetics to the center...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom