News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

mwf5555

If that's the Odyssey the bridges to it are a bit different, that area though resembles this early Epcot model from the 70's though, which didn't include the Odyssey but had a lot more water features in Future World
epcot-model_med.jpg
moving It's a small world or carousel of progress?

NoChesterHester

The fountains - all of them - I think will happen and should make it very, very pretty.

All that expansive open green space with great water features should be lovely.

We can't forget how big this park really is however. The walk from Imagination to the new GotG is really long and without interruption. This may end up making the park feel actually less hospitable in the hot summer months. It's like walking across a French Palace Garden - gorgeous but almost unendingly monotonous after a half hour.

Kman101

They could always demo Mousegears and build a new shop in one of those donut shapes looking buildings ... I doubt they give up that kind of retail space. I'm sure some liberties were taken with the art and as articos said some things may stay and landscape and paths may be different.

I really like they're actually going to give Future World a makeover that includes, hopefully, more greenery and fountains. This has me more excited than most of what was announced. Can't wait to get more details on it.

Kman101

All that expansive open green space with great water features should be lovely.

We can forget how big this park really is however. The walk from Imagination to the new GotG is really long and without interruption. This may end up making the park feel actually less hospitable in the hot summer months. It's like walking across a French Palace Garden - gorgeous but almost unendinging monotonous after a half hour.

+1

Epcot definitely needs more shade especially in Future World

NoChesterHester

They could always demo Mousegears and build a new shop in one of those donut shapes looking buildings ... I doubt they give up that kind of retail space. I'm sure some liberties were taken with the art and as articos said some things may stay and landscape and paths may be different.

I really like they're actually going to give Future World a makeover that includes, hopefully, more greenery and fountains. This has me more excited than most of what was announced. Can't wait to get more details on it.

Agree!

rocketraccoon

Do they want to get rid of Communicore just because they don't know with it? Gone, less headache/expense?

The weird thing is that I'm moderately certain everything that closed in 2016 is still intact. Sum Of All Thrills is still there and clearly visible from the Colortopia area. Pretty much nothing has happened to it since it closed:

tzL4sJU.jpg

Taken 07/13/2017

I wouldn't be surprised if StormStruck was still around as well. Colortopia and the Nanooze area are still there and functioning, and the VISION House is used for passholder merchandise during events. It's weird just how much they aren't doing anything.

build_it

The weird thing is that I'm moderately certain everything that closed in 2016 is still intact. Sum Of All Thrills is still there and clearly visible from the Colortopia area. Pretty much nothing has happened to it since it closed:

tzL4sJU.jpg

Taken 07/13/2017

I wouldn't be surprised if StormStruck was still around as well. Colortopia and the Nanooze area are still there and functioning, and the VISION House is used for passholder merchandise during events. It's weird just how much they aren't doing anything.

You don't invest in what you plan to take down or significantly alter. You just wait until you are ready. One capital expenditure all wrapped in one financial package. Bonus, you reduce operations in the meantime, and earn your bonus.

Not saying it's good show, just a typical business model.

clemmo

It almost seemed like the WOL building has some light coming off of it. I wonder is there a long term plan for that pavillion yet.
Could just be artistic license but could be saying "hey we have a long term blue sky plan" or both I can't really tell. I still think it could be part of Epcot phase 2 along with spine other WS announcements and the updates to land and sea pavilions.

trainplane3

A lot of this proposal doesn't make sense. The art is very ambiguous.

I do know there was a push from some quarters to open up the views of the pavilions from the spine. Conversely there was a desire from others to retain as much 1982 as possible. But I think we're in the wrong thread.
^Bringing this over from the restaurant thread^
The more I look at this art, the more questions I draw. The fact we didn't get a full quality version like the UoE Guardians and Tron concepts tells me that it's very blue sky.
-I see a building behind UoE I think? Mentioned by @raven as well
-What about the tunnels/storage under CommuniCore?
-Project Tomorrow/exit area for SSE?
-Maze by the land?
-Why is WoL lit up? I thought it didn't exist. (joking!)
I think they told the artist to go crazy with the concept. Although, I can see the new fountain setup at the edge of FW happening. Maybe the water features as well. This really makes me want to see the Tron-ish proposal, and if this is it then it's missing the cool (color-wise) blues, whites, and purples.

rogerrabbitfan9

I like the idea of getting rid of the Communicore buildings. The concept is basically dead (no company wants to sponsor an exhibit) and the current buildings are super specialized for that one purpose (what else can you put in them?) I like the additional green space.

Captain Neo

Do they want to get rid of Communicore just because they don't know with it? Gone, less headache/expense?

Heaven forbid guests actually learn anything while visiting a theme park. It's all about dumbing down the product and keeping people stupid and then people wonder why so few people are getting STEM degrees and why half the population doesn't believe in global warming.

NoChesterHester

Individual new cool buildings for the current?:

Guest services
Starbucks
Electric Umbrella
Club Cool
Mouse Gear
Character m&g
A few exhibit spaces ala communicore/Innoventions

That is probably the use of some of those buildings. I hope they have some new exhibits and attractions if they are building new amazing structures.

willtravel

I always liked the idea of a tech fair in FW from Jan thru mid March. Awards given and maybe a few $$ given towards scholarships. I know that technology changes so quickly but something with science,health, weather. High school students tech fair. I use to watch a tv show called Eureka and they had that on there once. I thought cool idea.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom