News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Kman101

So.....bring on Dreamfinder.

I just can't believe they haven't capitalized on the comics. It gave them the perfect opportunity to refresh the ride with Dreamfinder again. I still wish they would have made a movie as well. They have their own homegrown IP in Figment and fail to utilize it beyond cashing in on his merch sales. Really a shame.

trainplane3

I just can't believe they haven't capitalized on the comics. It gave them the perfect opportunity to refresh the ride with Dreamfinder again. I still wish they would have made a movie as well. They have their own homegrown IP in Figment and fail to utilize it beyond cashing in on his merch sales. Really a shame.
Can I get a amen?
Even ignoring the nostalgia everyone has for Figment and Imagination V1, the comics are really great. They have a solid, homegrown, park based IP ready to be expanded into movies and more. What a waste.

I wonder if something replaces Imagination and Figment completely, will the fallout be as bad as Imagination V2?

SteamboatJoe

I happened to notice GotG was on TV over the weekend and thought to myself that as much as I enjoy the architecture and aesthetic of the original FW design, if they are going to update it, going with a Xandar look wouldn't be a terrible idea. That's not to say that I want to see GotG take over FW (I certainly don't), I just think the look and feel of Xandar (without mentioning Xandar, the Nova Corps, or any other IP related items) could fit in well there if done right.

brb1006

I hope someone at Disney would someday think about making a Imagination animated movie. That could be the first Disney Animated Feature based on a beloved Disney attraction. Even the teaser for the Figment Comic actually made me think that a movie based on the attraction was happening even if it was a comic or not.
jim-zub-spark-marvel-disney.jpg

brb1006

Figment doesn't mean much without Dreamfinder, in my opinion. He was the child-like creature Dreamfinder was educating and through which, the audience was educated too.

Currently Figment is obnoxiously playing the role of 'teacher'. I have little empathy for him. Bring on Bing Bong.
I still don't think Bing Bong would be a good host at the Imagination Pavilion.

brb1006

@marni1971 THANK YOU! The video on Horizons is wonderful. I've watched "ride through" videos before, but the detailed graphics of how the pavilion was laid out is very much appreciated. I rode Horizons so many times, it remains my all time favorite. I wish there was a way to bring back a new iteration of that pavilion for guests of Epcot's future.

I know that Epcot is never going to return to the "glory days" I (perhaps falsely) remember. But I hope that whatever is planned will inspire many generations to come. Getting rid of the "graveyard" and the ridiculous paint scheme on communicore/innoventions would be a start. :)
I'm so glad Marni didn't include the destruction photo of Horizons from 1999.

brb1006

I just made my wife watch a Horizons video. She was never able to experience the ride. In my opinion, the ride would have still been relevant today. They really wouldn't have had to update any of the scenes. That stands for a lot of the rides that were taken out of Epcot. Yes, you have to change and update to keep people coming into the gates. I agree! I hope they at least plan something that will be semi-inspirational.
I still love the set design as you pass by different scenes.

brb1006

As much as I agree that Inside Out would work in Epcot, I am not sure I agree that it would draw visitors down the road. I just don't think that the characters (Bing Bong) are that memorable. I never got the sense that Bing Bong was that popular. I wouldn't mind an attraction using Inside Out (if they are going the IP route). I just don't see the sustainability of Bing Bong.
The only way Inside Out could work would be at the Wonders Of Life Pavilion (If they ever reopen the Pavilion)

Last edited:

Haymarket2008

Can I get a amen?
Even ignoring the nostalgia everyone has for Figment and Imagination V1, the comics are really great. They have a solid, homegrown, park based IP ready to be expanded into movies and more. What a waste.

I wonder if something replaces Imagination and Figment completely, will the fallout be as bad as Imagination V2?

Agreed! And in the age of the internet, the fallout is SURE to be worse. With good reason too. They have used Figment AND Dreamfinder (who isn't even IN the current iteration of the ride, as we all know) in merchandise and promotion more than they ever have since V1 closed. Removing him would be irresponsible and pointless. Just like Dreamfinder's removal.

brb1006

Can I get a amen?

For those that never brought or even heard of the comics. It's worth the read I got both hardcovers of Figment 1 and 2. It's just begging to be turned into an animated movie.

brb1006

Agreed! And in the age of the internet, the fallout is SURE to be worse. With good reason too. They have used Figment AND Dreamfinder (who isn't even IN the current iteration of the ride, as we all know) in merchandise and promotion more than they ever have since V1 closed. Removing him would be irresponsible and pointless. Just like Dreamfinder's removal.
There was even a website that was created to bring back Figment back when Imagination removed Figment (Outside of a cameo in the ending)

trainplane3

This is one thing I'd love to watch during D23's stream. The audiences reaction to this would be so salty that it'd make the Dead Sea look like a regular puddle of rain water. I'd expect it to be worse than TOT to Breakout. I really hope they do the right thing and create a ride that does the characters justice.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Is it just me or am I the only person who feels Henry Mystic and Albert from Mystic Manor to be a spiritual successor to Dreamfinder and Figment? Sure they both are different but I can't stop being reminded of how similar these duo are to Dream finder and Figment.
If they had to go a different route than Dreamfinder and Figment, I would be happy with Mystic Manor. That ride looks like a ton of fun and well themed as well!

RoysCabin

I fear the fallout of removing Figment entirely now wouldn't be as bad as it was in '99, if only because back then the memory of the original masterpiece Journey Into Imagination pavilion was still fresh in people's minds. Still, it's abundantly clear that Figment retains a strong fan/merchandise base, and the way the pavilion has been left to rot might be the most perplexing of all the poor decisions made regarding EPCOT over these years.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Is it just me or am I the only person who feels Henry Mystic and Albert from Mystic Manor to be a spiritual successor to Dreamfinder and Figment? Sure they both are different but I can't stop being reminded of how similar these duo are to Dream finder and Figment.

If they had to go a different route than Dreamfinder and Figment, I would be happy with Mystic Manor. That ride looks like a ton of fun and well themed as well!

This would work.

Instead of cloning Mystic Manor, story and all, just clone the basics of the ride elements. Have Dreamfinder (a member of S.E.A.) tell Figment to leave alone whatever Pandora's Box the story comes up with, and when he doesn't, all bedlam breaks loose.

Haymarket2008

This would work.

Instead of cloning Mystic Manor, story and all, just clone the basics of the ride elements. Have Dreamfinder (a member of S.E.A.) tell Figment to leave alone whatever Pandora's Box the story comes up with, and when he doesn't, all bedlam breaks loose.

This notion has haunted me for years! It would be absolutely perfect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom