News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Ralphlaw

You make it sound like Disney cannot afford to keep up their own attractions.

Every large structure/machine needs various levels of maintenance at various times. Things may pop up everyday with just a small tweak. Every now and then, a more serious bunch of maintenance may need to be done, like a new motor or other component. Then, every few years, a major bunch of maintenance is needed, which actually shuts down the thing for a while. This would include deeper and larger components, and is usually done on a rotating basis at Disney, often shutting down the attraction for a few weeks or even months. No machine can function without normal maintenance, and no machine lasts forever without an occasional major rehaul. Your car will probably last ten or 15 years with normal maintenance, but it probably won't go 20 years unless an engine or transmission gets replaced (a major rehaul).

And then, after perhaps ten years or so for a Disney level attraction that runs thousand of hours a year, a major major major rehaul needs to be done that might require Diseny to gut and rebuild the thing. When this happens, big time decisions have to be made as to whether or not to keep it the same, to do a major upgrade, or to tear it down and start over. Test Track got a major upgrade. Horizons and World of Motion got a tear down and start over. Big Thunder Bucket Railroad has essentially been kept the same. Many elements go into the decision, most of which is whether or not the existing attraction is still popular and/or could be made popular enough long-term to justify keeping it essentially the same. Universe of Energy was very cool years ago, but the novelty of a slow mover like that has passed. I believe it will be leveled and completely replaced.

Test Track, most would agree, is far better now. It was popular when they closed it down (which was shortly after Soarin' first opened), and is even more popular now. It is also a hugely expensive attraction to build and to run. It's not going anywhere.

To respond more pointedly: Yes, Disney can probably afford to keep up their own attractions. It's just that a tweak here and there or overnight won't cut it after wear and tear really sets in. At some point, a major maintenance shutdown is needed, and after many years a decision as to whether to keep the thing has to be made due to a variety of factors, including big time wear and tear AND whether the renewed attraction would still bring them in. Expedition Everest will be getting a major major major rehaul within the next couple of years. It's worth keeping. Test Track is worth keeping. Horizons and World of Motion were deemed not worth keeping. Regardless, every attraction at some point needs a major shutdown no matter how well it was maintained. My Dad and Brother-in-law were maintenance men, and they talked about such things often. I hope this helps clarify this issue.

Figments Friend

There finally seems to be an admission from above that the park needs help. That and declining guest surveys.

Hallelujah.
It's about fluffin' time the insulated folks in those executive suites above have finally figured that out after the last 20 or so years.

Expecting big, positive, and thematically appropriate change if they take this seriously.
Here's hoping.....

-

Sam Magic

I'm assuming, as others have said, Brazil is the most likely? If so would that explain why there are so many Brazil pavilion concept art images going around.

I'll be honest, I'm a tad disappointed they aren't doing a cool European country like Russia (the dream). But an EPCOT worldshowcase with real rides in four pavilions and a brand new pavilion? Yeah, sign me up.

jhendrix

I'm assuming, as others have said, Brazil is the most likely? If so would that explain why there are so many Brazil pavilion concept art images going around.

I'll be honest, I'm a tad disappointed they aren't doing a cool European country like Russia (the dream). But an EPCOT worldshowcase with real rides in four pavilions and a brand new pavilion? Yeah, sign me up.

Epcot has yet to have one pavilion from South America, so I'd say it's about time for something like Brazil. Although, given the current political climate and state of relations we have with Russia (again...), a country like Russia would be a sign of good humanity and friendship. I've always wondered if that's why Germany, Italy, and Japan are directly next to USA in World Showcase, and not say, the UK and France.

KrzyKtty

Epcot has yet to have one pavilion from South America, so I'd say it's about time for something like Brazil. Although, given the current political climate and state of relations we have with Russia (again...), a country like Russia would be a sign of good humanity and friendship. I've always wondered if that's why Germany, Italy, and Japan are directly next to USA in World Showcase, and not say, the UK and France.
I think that political climate is exactly why Russia won't be considered anytime soon.

larandtra

Political climate and social statements "should" have nothing to do with the decision making process on countries being added. China is in WS and there is a Disney park in China. That should tell you its about business and $, not politics or social views. Russia would be a great addition because of the culture and history alone. But, as has been stated, there is no South American representation and that needs to be addressed. I also would think for diversity purposes just to balance it out, eventually there should be an Australia/New Zealand/Tasmania but again, its about business and what fits with the Disney concepts.

ToTBellHop

Political climate and social statements "should" have nothing to do with the decision making process on countries being added. China is in WS and there is a Disney park in China. That should tell you its about business and $, not politics or social views. Russia would be a great addition because of the culture and history alone. But, as has been stated, there is no South American representation and that needs to be addressed. I also would think for diversity purposes just to balance it out, eventually there should be an Australia/New Zealand/Tasmania but again, its about business and what fits with the Disney concepts.
Can we get Antarctica with one CM and a restaurant staffed by penguins? They could use the old Ice Station Cool set.

Ralphlaw

Russia is impoverished. There's no way they could afford to sponsor a pavilion. I was there two years ago, and it was a very sad place. Other great candidate countries are facing similar economic crises, including Greece, Brazil and Egypt. Most of the Pavilions were sponsored and built when the Cold War was still going on, and economic barriers between countries were much higher. The end of the Cold War meant that having allies was no longer as imperative for countries, and the lowering of economic barriers meant that foreign countries no longer needed a big time Epcot foot in the door to help make connections in America. Put another way, the incentives for countries to plant themselves in Orlando is no longer as advantageous. Sadly, I do not think Disney will have an easy time adding pavilions for the foreseeable future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom