Best way for non resort guests to tour the resorts?

catmom46

Here's a resort tour itinerary I found on another forum (it's long, though!):

1. Take a bus from DTD to Wilderness Lodge and tour that resort.
2. Take a boat from Wilderness Lodge over to Magic Kingdom OR
Take a boat from Wilderness Lodge over to the Contemporary resort and start your monorail resort tour from there instead of going to MK first.
3. Head for monorail station and take resort monorail around to the three monorail resorts: Contemporary, then Polynesian, then Grand Floridian and have look around all of them.
4. Head back to MK and catch a bus over to either the Boardwalk or the Yacht and Beach Club or even Hollywood Studios park.
5. Take the Friendship boats that run between Epcot and Hollywood Studios and tour the resorts around those two parks: Yacht and Beach Club, Boardwalk, and Swan/Dolphin.
6. Wind up back at Hollywood Studios via the Friendship boats and take a bus from there over to Animal Kingdom Lodge.
7. Finally, head back to DTD from AKL via bus.
8. If you still have time once back at DTD or are not too exhausted, take a boat from DTD over to the two Port Orleans resorts (French Quarter and Riverside) and see them as well, catching the boat back to DTD from their docks.

A similar route can be done beginning at Ft. Wilderness instead of DTD using the internal bus system there. Take a boat from Ft. Wilderness over to Wilderness Lodge and follow the same route from that point.

Just remember busses do not go to theme parks from DTD...only to resorts. Also, busses do not regularly go from resort to resort..only from resort to theme park/water park or resort to DTD.

catmom46

LOL Although I can't take credit for the itinerary -- someone on tripadvisor did that! It's definitely worth sharing, though.

mouse_luv

You can also visit Saratoga Springs from DTD, by walking across the footbridge from the Marketplace section of DTD. IDK why you would want to visit there though if you weren't staying since it isn't like visiting the Poly or GF etc where there's plenty to see. And I say this as someone that stays at SSR from time to time and likes it there.

CaptainAmerica

Serious question... why? A Disney vacation is extremely expensive. Aren't there better things to do than visit hotels at which you're not staying?

I'm not being critical, I honestly don't understand.

catmom46

For myself, I'd visit other hotels so I can see whether or not I'd want to stay at them for future trips. Plus, I may want down time during our stay, but not want to spend it at the pool or shopping. But, I suppose visits could be accomplished simply by eating at resort restaurants as well, not spending an entire day doing it.

CaptainAmerica

For myself, I'd visit other hotels so I can see whether or not I'd want to stay at them for future trips.
Makes sense.

Plus, I may want down time during our stay, but not want to spend it at the pool or shopping.
Down time is for sleeeeeping. ;)

But, I suppose visits could be accomplished simply by eating at resort restaurants as well, not spending an entire day doing it.
I think that's smart. It just takes too long to get from one resort to another if you're not going there for any purpose beyond seeing the lobby.

catmom46

Our daughter was about 3.5 years old on our last trip, but she was a night owl back then. Now that she's 7 and on a more regular schedule, I suspect we will need to slow down a bit and get to bed at a decent hour. Although that will still be around 10pm!

catmom46

We'll be staying at Kidani and Bay Lake in July, so definitely checking out AKL and Contemporary. Also have ADRs at Grand Floridian and Poly. We're also hoping to pool hop, since we're DVC members, and see Wilderness Lodge and Boardwalk Inn. We stayed at Beach Club last trip, so already seen that and Yacht Club. Not sure if we'll check out Port Orleans.

12_Ears_Dad

Original Poster
Serious question... why? A Disney vacation is extremely expensive. Aren't there better things to do than visit hotels at which you're not staying?

We are staying off property. The day we get there we will have nothing to do. Plus the week we are visiting parks we have 6 day passes and we will be there for 7 days..so we have a whole day to try to fill (without much of a budget for the off days)

Just was thinking of touring some of the resorts as an idea. Who knows, we might just end up at cocoa beach.

bee

On our last trip we only bought two day tickets for a four night trip and we had a great time resort hopping on the off days. It was quite relaxing to explore and eat at various places.

For myself, I'd visit other hotels so I can see whether or not I'd want to stay at them for future trips.
Absolutely! DW and I got some great ideas for where we want to (and probably don't want to) stay in the future.

Cnetbuild

Visiting the resorts is actually a lot of fun. There is a lot to see. I especially like Wilderness Lodge, Floridian, Polynessian, and the All Stars. As an alternative to visiting the resorts, you could go to Celebration - the town Disney built. There is 50's style diner and houses that were built to look old.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom